Reactions: Y23 Sorting and Transfers

Sorting Hat

It's that time of year again - it's sorting! And we love to hear your thoughts and reactions as we work through the process.

Are you having a character sorted/transferred? More than one?
Where do you think they'll end up?

If you've already been sorted: Did you get what you expected? Did you provoke a witty response from the sorting hat? What'd you think of that?

Woo, first poster! But now that I have all my students sorted, here it goes:

Valery Matthiass was definitely not surprising. He was not smart enough to be a Ravenclaw, for sure. So it was either Gryffindor or Hufflepuff. I didn't mind where, but I do love seeing him in red!
Garrett Hensel, now he kind of surprised me a little bit. I would have died if he was in Slytherin since Professor Styx would give him a heart attack. However, I am really pleased with his sorting. He will make a great Ravenclaw!
Seira Zhefarovich is a whole new ballpark. I know that she is a very typical Slytherin, and she likely would have been placed there, if there wasn't something else in store for her. She has a lot to learn over the next couple of years, and I cannot wait to RP her! Especially who she acts like.

First year in a long time that I did not, and will not, have a Slytherin. I am rather pleased!

The link in the PM leads to the old Reactions. :tut:

I'm not a fan of having multiple characters in the same house at the same time, especially when their years are so close together, but it seems fitting I suppose. There's definitely a fine line between dedication and determination. It's difficult to convey to the Sorting Hat the person you plan for your character to grow into being, especially when you're trying to be realistic to a person's age. It seems to me that unless they're perfect icons of their house, they're thrown whichever way.
I'm not pleased with the outcome, but it's tolerable. I'll work around it.

Asher Summers said:
The link in the PM leads to the old Reactions. :tut:
Good job on finding it all on your own then!

New people might get confused, thought I'd bring it to your attention. :p

Asher Summers said:
It seems to me that unless they're perfect icons of their house, they're thrown whichever way.
I'm not pleased with the outcome, but it's tolerable. I'll work around it.
I disagree with this.
A lot of work goes into sorting, including a lot of reading and decision making, and the decisions aren't made lightly. There is a lot of history to read up on, and an understanding of how the sorting hat works. Horace Slughorn was Slytherin. As was Severus Snape, and to Harry Potter, he was the 'bravest man he knew', which, if the hat was being all willy nilly and perfect icons, it would have been Gryffindor. Zacharias Smith was not the nicest character, and he was in Hufflepuff. Hannah Abbott was in Dumbledore's army and she was in Hufflepuff too.
These things are taken into account. Obviously, our sorting hat is not J.K Rowling, but it tries it's best to take all things into consideration. I'm sure we can all say we've been sorted into Houses we didn't expect/want. But we all just make the best of it. Tons of Kaitlyn's characters seem destined for Slytherin, but obviously the Sorting Hat sees something different in them. So, while you were sure your character is perfect for another House, the Sorting Hat probably sees something that Helga Hufflepuff would be honored to have in her House.

That's very true, with your points about characters like Slughorn and Zacharias. Though I wasn't sure Asher was perfect for another house per se, I didn't see him in that one in particular. But hey, it'll work out. This is just the first time I've been sorted into a house I didn't feel was particularly right.

Also, I hope neither of you took my criticism to heart. It's just my opinion on it. Like I found Cyndi's response a little patronising, so I'm not sure how it was taken.

Just as a side note, characters never turn out fully as to what you first expect. When I first started on the site I was positive that Pat was going to be Ravenclaw and when she got Hufflepuff I was so upset that I almost left the site then and there...7 years on I couldn't imagine Pat being anything but a Hufflepuff ^_^

Another side note: two of my most violent students were/are Hufflepuff. :r

At first I was confused about Stella being in Hufflepuff, but I quite like it now ^_^ It seems there are some cool new characters in Hufflepuff so I'll have fun RPing :p

Stella Lagowski said:
At first I was confused about Stella being in Hufflepuff, but I quite like it now ^_^ It seems there are some cool new characters in Hufflepuff so I'll have fun RPing :p
Some of the description that you provided for her seemed to lean towards Ravenclaw, but her reactions in the scenarios and other parts of her personality were very much Hufflepuff traits. It'll be interesting to see her develop. :)

Asher Summers said:
It seems to me that unless they're perfect icons of their house, they're thrown whichever way.
When I was sorting people, if they were the perfect icon for a house that made them far more likely to be "thrown whichever way" - because a roleplay is not a fan fiction and sorting is one of the main times where your character is out of your control - where we can make you actually develop a character and not a caricature.

The whole sorting process is so interesting, I mean I haven't that many characters by any standard, but I just find it's quite thorough, in that certain answers don't automatically point to a house. I think the little mini-situations are brilliant. I mean, in life you learn more about someone from how they act than how others speak about them. Not sure if I'm making sense or not. :tut:

Sorting Hat said:
Stella Lagowski said:
Some of the description that you provided for her seemed to lean towards Ravenclaw, but her reactions in the scenarios and other parts of her personality were very much Hufflepuff traits. It'll be interesting to see her develop. :)
Ooh, I see! She's the first character I've not actually had a concrete idea for, and I had no idea which house she'd end up in but Hufflepuff never crossed my mind :lol: still, I do think she'll be able to develop best there :) Characters shouldn't be defined by their houses, as has been pointed out several times in this thread already!

Maia - I agree! ^_^

Can i just throw out that Lue being in Gryffindor threw me for the biggest loop of my life because I was dead-set sure she'd be a Hufflepuff and here she is being a Gryffindor. She doesn't mind though adn looks great in red :D

one of my meanest characters was a ravenclaw and nicest a slytherin.
As for Lizeth I'm thrilled :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back