Quidditch Lessons

Ares Taylor

Ares made his way to the pitch carrying his broom and a beaters bat in one hand, and a case in the other hand. It was Neita's christmas present to him and he was excited he finally got a chance to use it all. He borrowed a beaters bad from the school supply shed and then looked around waiting for Ari to arrive, although he had promised to teach her quidditch and he was looking forward to spending time with her, he felt slightly protective and after what happened to Neita he couldnt help but feel hesitant about letting any of his friends around bludgers. He sighed But I promised, he thought, looking around for Ari.

Arianna had been looking forward to flying with Ares all week, and as hard as she was going to try, she knew that this would turn into a lesson.
Whenever I fly with a boy, it turns into a lesson she thought exasperately. This time, she was determined not to let it turn into one.

After quickly eating breakfast, Ari realised she was almost late. Quickly gulping down some juice, she jumped up from the Hufflepuff table, and rushed down to the Quidditch pitch. When she arrived, Ari saw Ares waiting for her, and ran the last few steps
"Sorry I'm late!" she said, coming up behind him.
"I... had breakfast" she said, laughing at her lame excuse.

Ares turned around and smiled at Ari, laughing at her excuse "I had breakfast too..." he said with teasing raised eyebrows. He cracked his neck "Okay you wanted to learn how to play quidditch, are you ready?" he asked with a teasing smirk.

"That's a good thing, because you're going to have to work hard to keep up!" she said, grinning. She also raised her eyebrows
"Yup, I'm definetly ready" she said determinedly. Looking around wondering where to start, she realised that she needed to get a school broom
"I'll be back in two seconds" she told Ares, before going off to get a broom out of the shed.
"Ok" she said, when she got back

"Now, I'm not completely helpless" she said
"I know how to get on the broom, and go left and right, an up and down" she said, mounting the broom, and attempting to make it look like she did it every day. She succeded in mounting it, and hovering a few feet off the ground.

Ares laughed, and mounted his broom "I should hope you know that much considering we learnt that in flying last year" he teased. He squinted at Ari thinking out loud "Shall we try the bludgers first?" he asked picking up the beaters bats.

Ari nodded
"Sure she said, taking a bat from him. She was slightly weary of the bludgers, after what had happened to Neita, but was still eager to give it a go. She slowly rose higher into the air, just getting the feel of the bat. Right now, she couldn't honestly imagine herself wacking a ball that as flying towards her at high speeds, away into the distance.

Ares hesitantly picked up the other beaters bat and kicked off of the ground after he slowly releasing the bludger. He flew up behind Ari "Okay go and try and hit the bludger as far away as possible" he told her, following her to make sure she didnt get hurt.

Ari nodded, and watched the beater circle, and come back towards her. She didn't really feel like taking her hand off the broom, but knew that if she didn't, it was likely her nose would never be the same. Making sure that she was balanced, she raised the bat, and swung it at the flying ball as it sped towards her. Her stomach lurched as she realised she hadn't hit it properly. Luckily, she had just caught the edge of the ball, and it ricocheted off at a funny angle. Keeping a weary eye out for the bludger, in case it came at her again, Ari turn her broom back towards Ares
"I was lucky" she said, but she was unable to keep the grin off her face. That had been thrilling, and fun, and she couldn't wait to try again.

Ares watched hesitantly as the bludger sped towards Arianna he moved forward a bit and got his beaters bat ready in case he had to jump in to protect Ari. He grinned as her bat made contact with the bludger, and watched as it moved off at a funny angle. "That was really good for a first go!!" he told her happily. He pointed into the air "Im gunna hit it right there and your gunna fly up there and hit it back down" he told her, knowing that if he asked her she wouldnt be very confident about it, but he had confidence in her and he knew she'd be fine. Ares dived after the bludger and hit it up into the air where he told Ari he would hit it, waiting to see what would happen.

"Thanks" Ari said, still grinning at him. Nodding at him, she shot upwards to the place he had pointed, and awaited the bludger that he would shoot at her. The thing she was most nervous about this time, was if she hit the bludger randomly, and it hit Ares. She couldn't guarantee that she would hit it away from him, she was just starting after all. Taking a deep breath, she steadied herself, before raising her bat, and smacking the bludger as hard as she could to the right of Ares. She breathed a sigh of relief when it flew past him safely.

Ares grinned as Ari made a perfect hit and the bludger flew right past him. "Score!!" he yelled proud. "Lets try something else!" he said flying to the ground. While trying to recapture the bludger to put in the case an unfamiliar owl landed on his shoulder with a letter. He took it, confused and the owl flew off. Back turned to Ari as he was trying to capture the bludger he quickly read the note and frowned confused and frustrated Hoshi had said she wanted to meet him later. He quickly folded the note up and put it in his pocket before turning back to Ari and plastering a grin on his face. "Shall we try the snitch?" he asked hoping to get the letter out of his mind, it came at the worst time considering he had finally started to move on.

Ari nodded, and stayed where she was as he returned to the ground. She watched as an owl delivered a letter to him, and frowned slightly as he read it, and put it away. She was, of course curious, but didn't press the matter.
"Sure... but what if we lose it?" she asked, a sudden image of them going on a wild snitch-chase over the country side popping into her head. Ari had a distinct feeling that the snitch would probably out fly them.

[sorry I've been really busy and havent been able to come on]

Ares nodded distantly at Ari's comment, though he kept trying to focus on their training he couldnt help but think about the letter it was really starting to get to him. He nodded "Yeah I didnt think of that..." he said slowly.

Arianna could tell that Ares was still preoccupied, most likely from the mysterious letter he had just recieved.
"Why don't we take a littlebreak?" she suggested, flying back down to his level. It would give him chance to think, and tell her, if he wanted to. Ari couldn't deny that she was curious, but she was also sensitive to other peoples buisness, and didnt want to be annoying. She led the way back down to the ground, and dismounted her broom, collapsing on the grass with a sigh. She was wearing shorts and a tshirt, in a farewell to the summer warmth.

Ares smiled a guilty apologetic smile and Arianna seemed to know something was up. He followed her to the ground and sat down on the ground near where Ari was. "Im sorry.." he said apologeticially "Just a bit distracted..." he said with a guilty look. "How about we just hang out?" he asked "We can have flying lessons another time..."

Ari smiled back
"Don't worry" she said, stretching out on the grass. She lay back, sighing and closing her eyes
"So... what have you been up to lately?" she asked. It hadn't been that long since she'd last seen him, but, judging by how preoccupied he was now, she knew something had to be up.

Ares smiled "Not much..." he said thinking, "What have you been up to?"

Ari nodded
"Same really" she said off handedly. It was true, she hadn't been doing anything at all lately. Her life had been rather dull.
"Hey, you should come over in the holidays" she suggested to him. She was starting to look forward to seeing her family again, and sleeping in her own bed.

Ares looked at her "We should definately hang out during the holidays" he agreed with a smile, with Hoshi out of the way during the holidays perhaps he'd finally be able to figure out how he felt about everything.

Ari nodded, grinning enthusiastically
"And at my place, in Canada, it's summer now" she told him excitedly
"24 hour daylight" she added. A sudden thought struck her
"Hey are you playing in the Hufflepuff- Raveclaw Quidditch final?" she asked him. If he was, then they would be playing against each other. That would be interesting.

Ares stared at Ari for a moment "Dumb question..." he said slowly "But how would I visit you in Canada?" he asked thinking of how most of the time when his family travelled they travelled the muggle way, but that was mainly because his dad loved muggle inventions and adored planes.

He sighed "Nah I dont think I am" he said disapointed "Most of the team is older and better" he tried to defend himself.

Ari looked back at him just as blankly
"Well... Floo powder I suppose" she said, thinking of how she usually got home
"Or flying... half way across the world" she said with a laugh
"I'll come and get you myself if I half to" Ari smiled. She knew that they could work something out.

"Aww, no way" she said. He was being modest
"Well then, you can catch me" she said, rolling her eyes.

Ares blinked suddenly realizing how that made sense. "Ahhh!!" he said finally understanding. He laughed as Ari said she'd come get him herself if she had to.

"Catch you?" he asked confused.

"Yeah, we can get up to all sorts of trouble. Anything in mind?" Ari asked casually. For some reason, Ari was in a rebelious mood, wanting to cause havoc, and get in trouble. Knowing that Ares a one of those tricksters, maybe he had some ideas.
"Yeah" she said, grinning, and pausing for suspense
"I'm playing Chaser!" she burst out, unable to keep it inside much longer.

Ares cocked an eyebrow at Ari "You want to get in trouble?" he asked teasingly. He'd never imagined Arianna to be the type that enjoyed getting in trouble.

"Really?" he asked both happy for her and confused "But the first and second game...?" he asked confused.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back