Mixed Blood
Relationship Status
Single
Sexual Orientation
Bisexual
Wand
Straight 14 1/2 Inch Rigid Silver Lime Wand with Veela Hair Core
(set during the Yule Ball)

Simon took the first chance he got while his date was busy talking to her other friends, and decided to step outside and get some fresh air. The great hall was suffocating, it always got so hot at dances with so many people packed into one place. He had hoped it would be cooler outside but of course, he wasn’t back home and it was in fact the middle of summer and he found no such relief. But mercifully there was a bit of a breeze and it felt nice to relax even for a moment. He sighed and wondered if asking Jenna to the dance was a mistake. She was nice, too nice for him. She deserved someone who actually cared about her and didn’t just ask her so they wouldn’t be alone at a silly school dance. But what was he supposed to do when even Sydney had a date? Simon was just about done beating himself up and about to go inside again when he heard someone else in the courtyard and he looked up sharply.

The yule ball was suffocating, to say the least. Knox with so much on his mind, worry over meeting up with his estranged older brother during the holidays, and confusion over the new and unexpected feelings he had developed since the game of spin the bottle, was too caught up in himself to enjoy spending time with his friends. Seeing other students, his age and older, dancing with dates and seemingly so carefree only made his confusion worse. Knox wondered why it seemed so easy for other people to figure themselves out, why it was easier for other people his age to know what they wanted while he stood on the side lines with a million thoughts running through his mind, unable to have fun. It had been easy for him until it suddenly wasn’t, and he couldn’t handle the pressure to remain in the great hall and pretend like nothing was wrong, like the uncertainty of everything in his life wasn’t bothering him.​
Heading out as soon as possible to get some fresh air, Knox undid the top button of his dress shirt, sighing as he leant against a stone pillar and tried to gather his thoughts together. He was startled when he noticed someone else was nearby and turned his head to stare at them a bit awkwardly. He had thought the busyness of the ball would mean he would be alone if he went outside, the possibility of someone else wanting to get away from the commotion hadn’t occurred to him. Not that he assumed anyone else in the castle would share his situation, or that the other boy was even standing in the courtyard for a chance to breathe. It could have been due to literally anything else. Shaking his head slightly, Knox realized he was a little lost in thought, and tried to quell the awkwardness he felt by speaking. “Uh, hi. Didn’t know there would be anyone else here.” He commented, nodding slightly to their surroundings.​

Simon sighed in relief to see that the intruder was just another boy from his year. “What an astute observation.” he said dryly. He sighed again, now annoyed that his quiet space had disturbed. Glancing back at the boy, Simon took the time to look at him closer. He had seen him in lessons but couldn't remember his name. But there was something else. Simon had run into him somewhere else but he just couldn’t put his finger on what it was. “I’ve seen you around before.” he stated plainly as he stood up straight, not really caring about sounding rude in that moment. He took a couple steps toward the other boy and crossed his arms over his chest. “Where have I seen you?” he asked, narrowed his eyes slightly and hoped that maybe he would remember.

Too caught up in his own mind, it hadn’t occurred to Knox he recognized the other boy, and shared classes with him until the boy stepped closer, crossing his arms over his chest. He seemed a bit rude, which Knox didn’t have the mental capacity to deal with, so he ignored it, instead shrugging casually, or trying to as he crossed his own arms and responded to the question. “Probably in classes and stuff, we’re in the same year, right?” Knox said. He didn’t think much of the fact the other boy recognized him, if it was from classes it wasn’t a big deal. “I’m Knox, by the way.” Knox added after a moment, thinking it was the polite thing to do that also might confirm to the other boy where they recognized each other from. “Uh, did you want fresh air too?” He then asked, really not knowing what kind of conversation to make or if he should be making conversation at all.​

Simon remained silent for a moment and continued to stare. There was still something nagging at the back of his mind but he decided to let it go for the time being and sighed. “Yes, that must be it.” he said and then immediately raised an eyebrow when the other boy offered up his name. “Simon.” he said flatly, feeling oddly intrigued by him. Simon wasn’t used to having such a simple conversation. Normally it felt like playing a game, tossing replies back and forth until someone dropped it and the other gained an upper hand. “Yes. It was feeling a little...suffocating in there.” he said and took a deep breath and looked at the night sky, enjoying the feeling of being outside. After a moment he looked back to Knox. “And why have you found your way to the outside? Just the air?” he asked and cocked his head to the side, looking expectantly at the other boy.

Knox nodded at Simon’s answer to his question, before following the action of staring up at the sky. It quelled some of the awkwardness Knox felt at making conversation but not really knowing what he was doing. He was caught up enough in his head as it was without worrying about talking to a boy in his year he barely knew, or one he guessed he was getting to know as they both ended up talking in the courtyard. “Yeah, the air. It was suffocating like you said in the hall.” Knox sighed, looking back to Simon. “Dances and stuff are confusing, there's so many expectations and I wish it was as easy for me as it seems to be for everyone else, you know?” Knox tried to word what he was thinking but felt as if it made as much sense as the rest of his thoughts which were muddled at best. “At least here it’s simple since there’s two of us.” He added, sighing again, and looking back to the sky.​

Simon glanced back to Knox as he started to speak. The sense of familiarity started to nag in the back of his mind again as he watched the other boy closely. He nodded along sympathetically as he spoke, especially at the mention of exceptions. Simon was used to balancing other's expectations, mostly his father's, but before they had moved the pressure had came from nearly every direction. He had to watch out for classmates and literally anyone else who knew of his family. That was one thing about being in New Zealand that he didn't entirely hate, the simple anonymity he had since starting a new school. It gave him a freedom he hadn't expected. He continued to watch the other boy talk when it finally clicked. "That it!" Simon said firmly and let out a relieved laugh, probably confusing the other boy. He didn't quite process the last part of what Knox said but he was pretty sure it wasn't a joke. There had been so many people at spin the bottle that the faces had started to blur together but Knox had definitively been there. "You were at spin the bottle. That's where I recognize you from!" Simon added to explain his outburst and crossed his arms as he grinned at the other boy. "Is that why you're really here talking to me? You didn't get to kiss me then, and you're just looking for you chance?" he teased, and laughed to himself.

Last edited:
A short silence fell and Knox felt a sense of calm wash over him, the lack of expectations in talking to a classmate in the courtyard a kind of freedom after spending part of his evening weighed down by the yule ball, watching people he recognized and knew seem to have everything figured out and almost rubbing that fact in his face. It was different to be away from it all, reassuring. When Simon spoke again, suddenly however, Knox couldn’t help but jump slightly, turning his head to look back at his classmate as he listened to Simon exclaim he recognized him from spin the bottle, of all the things. Feeling a blush begin to heat up his skin, and his eyes widen slightly at the realization, Knox averted his gaze to the ground. “Oh, right, spin the bottle.” He acknowledged, about to mention how confusing that whole ordeal was but he was interrupted by Simon's questioning if the real reason he ran into him in the courtyard was to kiss him. Knox’s blush worsened if it were possible, he hoped the low light was enough to hide how quickly flustered he was. “Um, no, I didn’t mean to run into you to kiss you. Not that I wouldn’t kiss you, you seem nice and cute and stuff, but I- oh no.” Knox blurted out, bringing a hand to his face in embarrassment at how caught off guard he was by the comment and how obviously it had affected him. There wasn’t a chance for him to hide the fact he had no idea what he was doing and he felt like a fish thrown out of water.​

Simon raised an eyebrow as the Knox began to stammer but willed his face to remain as neutral as possible. He didn't expect his joke to cause that kind of reaction and it piqued his interest immensely. He crossed his arms and let the boy sweat for a moment before reacting. "Cute?" he said thoughtfully like he was truly considering the word. "I think I've been described as handsome more then cute. But I'll take it." he said after a pause with a smug grin spreading across his face. Simon took an experimental step towards the other boy to see his reaction and to get a better look at him in the dark courtyard. Even he had to admit that the other boy was quite good looking with his sharp features and floppy hair, not that Simon would dare to say that out loud quiet yet. He could feel his heart start to race the longer he looked at him and he really started to consider if he was attracted to the Gryffindor boy in front of him. Simon had kissed girls before and had liked them plenty, and while this felt different there was definitely something there.

Knox, with his hand over his face in embarrassment, shook his head slightly at Simon’s words. He did think Simon was handsome as well, but presently he was too overwhelmed and caught up in his own emotions to respond or acknowledge it further. “I-uh.” Knox began to say as he moved his hand from his face, trying to catch his breath and loosen his tie further to get some air, before Simon stepped closer and ruined any chance of that. It was too much, almost, Simon being so confident and so close to him so suddenly catching Knox further off guard. As if he wasn’t confused enough already, meeting someone so endearing and cute, and far more confident than Knox felt about himself was making his already confusing feelings over boys, and claustrophobia of the yule ball worse than it already was. Shaking his head again, Knox tried to blink himself back to the present. “Um, do you want me to kiss you, is that what you want?” He asked hesitantly, looking between Simon’s eyes in the dark light and his lips for a moment, not knowing if that was what Simon hinted to with their close proximity or if he could see right through Knox’s confusion and was teasing him over it. Knox couldn’t tell, couldn’t string a thought together really as he waited for Simon to answer him.​

Simon smirked as Knox's hands still covered his face. The other boy really did make it easy to tease him and how was he supposed to resist a temptation like that. By now he had nearly forgotten about the ball completely at this point but he figured he would have to go back sooner rather then later. He wasn't sure if Jenna would bother to look for him but he didn't really want to test that theory, not if it meant risking her catching him here. Simon was a little caught of guard but Knox's sudden offer to kiss him. He considered the offer, and if there was ever a time to kiss a boy for the first time this was probably it. Simon didn't bother with an answer and instead closed this distance between them, pressing his lips to the other boys. He hadn't been expecting much but he was completely surprised but how much he liked it. Before he could do anything more idiotic he pulled away. The kiss had only lasted a second before he finally took a step back. "I think we better get back inside, don't you?" he asked a little breathlessly though his tone was completely unbothered. But he could feel a grin on his face despite trying his best to seem disinterested.

Half expecting Simon to tease him further or say no to his question, Knox completely froze up when Simon actually stepped forward and kissed him. He held his breath, not realizing he was doing so until Simon stepped away a moment later and Knox exhaled. It was a lot to take in, and process, and it had all happened so quickly as well. He was completely caught off guard. Already so confused and unable to pull himself together, it had become even more impossible for Knox to seem as calm and collected as he wanted to be. Simon’s offer of returning inside as he acted so normal and carefree, and unbothered by all that had happened made Knox’s confusion worse, he was already so suffocated in the great hall earlier, returning after kissing Simon sounded like a nightmare. Shaking his head, Knox couldn’t imagine going back to the castle, acting normal when he felt the complete opposite. “Um, nah I think I’m gonna stay here and um, breathe, you know?” Knox responded, crossing his arms and stepping away slightly to allow Simon a chance to leave.​

Users who are viewing this thread

Back