Practicing

Elizabeth Malfoy

Liz jogged down to the quidditch stands, laughing. She carried her firebolt, ready to fly. Courtney was coming to meet her shortly- they were going to practice switching brooms and trust-flying.

Liz propped her firebolt up in the stands, and began stretching while she waited.

Courtney ran up to the pitch with her firebolt. "Hey Liz! Hope I didn't keep you waiting long. What do you say to a few laps around the pitch as warm up for our stunts?"

She then hopped on her broom and hovered 5 feet in the air.

Liz waved at Courtney "Nah! I didn't wait long at all! I even got a chance to do some stretching beforehand. It's a good thing to do before any practice or game!" she hopped on her firebolt, and hovered a few feet up as well.

"I suppose laps are just as good though! More fun, to say the least!" Liz waited for Courtney to start the laps, ready to fly up alongside her.

Courtney began to fly around the pitch, increasing in height and speed. "I bet I could do this with my eyes closed! Think we should give it a try? Feel like being risque today?" Courtney said laughing.

Liz laughed. "Maybe we should take turns the first couple times around. That way if we're about to crash, the other can fix the problem." she grinned "Awesome idea though! Do you want to go first? Then I'll go, then we could go together?"

Courtney laughed. "Sure, if you insist on being safe!"

She clenched her eyes closed and began flying around the pitch. At first she was a bit wobbly, but then she managed to straighten out. She knew she had the pitch mapped out in her head, she had flown on numerous occasions and had attended all of the flying classes.

Liz beamed as she watched Courtney go around with her eyes closed, flawlessly. When she opened her eyes again she took a deep breath. "Gee, I hope I do that well!" Liz figured she'd do well, but for different reasons. She'd trained herself to sense something solid with her eyes closed. Several years ago, she figured it would be a good idea, since beaters should know where everyone and everything was at all times.

She closed her eyes, holding an arm out towards the wall, feeling the starting distance, and planning on keeping that exact distance.

Liz began to fly around with her eyes closed. Liz wasn't that worried- she trusted Courtney more than anyone else. She was doing pretty well, aside from one incident where she leaned a bit too much to the left, and almost hit the wall. She figured it was from beater tryouts. Depending on how you held the bat, you usually had to lean to one side a bit.

Once she was done, she opened her eyes. "Wow! Fantastic idea Courtney!" she was smiling widely. "Together now?"

Courtney held out her hand to give Liz a high 5. "Of course!"

She beckoned Liz to fly ahead of her. "After you of course. I'll try and stay behind you. Might be tricky with our eyes closed, but it's worth a try." She knew they would be able to do it, both of them have seemed to master their brooms. Courtney had to thank the flying professor for that though, it was flying lessons that taught her most of the stunts she knew.

Liz smiled and began to fly around the pitch. She sensed Courtney behind her, and she seemed to be doing great. She made sure to keep an even pace, so as not to end up with Courtney having to run into her. This time around, Liz leaned a bit more to her right, trying to balance out her natural lean towards the left.

Courtney flew behind Liz with her eyes closed, hoping to notice if she would slow her pace. She didn't want to end up colliding with her, that would probably screw both of their chances at quidditch.

"Wow, this is really fun." Courtney giggled, realizing that they were nearly finished their lap around the pitch.

Liz grinned. "It is! We're pretty good at it, if I do say so myself!" she continued flying, with a constant speed. "Sometime we'll have to try other things with our eyes closed! Like switching brooms?"

Courtney laughed, she was thinking about the time she tried to switch brooms with Bruin. It had not worked so well, and they had their eyes open.

"Hmm, I'd say we try to switch brooms with our eyes open first."

Liz laughed. "Alrighty!" she paused her speech to ask Courtney, "So are we almost done with the lap? I can't tell. And should we go for another one?"

Courtney laughed, she had lost her sense of sirection and had no idea where they were. "I'd say we better stop now, on the count of three. One...Two...Three."

She opened her eyes and saw they weren't too far from where they had started off. "Not bad."

Liz stopped on 3 as well. "Wow!" she said to Courtney, looking around. "Not bad! Pretty good, actually!" she grinned. "We should do some arm-stretches before trying to switch brooms. I've found it's easier that way." she threw her left arm behind her head.

Courtney had never really stretched before flying, copied Elizabeth's arm stretch.

"So this is supposed to help." She blurted out, mid stretch.

Liz laughed, using her other arm to pull back. "It does! If not the first time, then the second or the third. It makes your muscle's a bit more limber. Also, it can help prevent injury!" she tried a few more stretched, showing each to Courtney in turn.

Courtney attempted to copy all of the stretches Liz was showing her. Thinking they were rather goofy, Courtney began adding her own manouvres to them. Giggling, she fell to the floor. "Okay, I'm all stretched out. Let's fly now."

Liz laughed, putting her hands back infront of her. "Alrighty! So what should we start with? Any other flying around, or should we go straight into switching brooms?"

Courtney covered her face with her hands. She was slightly nervous about the human X her and Bruin had created not long ago. Her words were muffled, as she said "okay, let's give the switching brooms a go."

Liz grinned. She'd seen Courtney and Bruin. "Hey, c'mon, we'll do well. This is mainly about being attuned to the person you're working with, and I think we can manage that pretty well!"

Liz began flying alongside Courtney. "You can call when we go. Give it a 3 count?"

Courtney knew she wanted to get this stunt over with. Not bothering to throw in numbers one and two, Courtney shouted, "Three!"

Liz launched herself off her broom, in the air, forward a bit. She's seen what happened to Courtney and Bruin so she took special care to avoid that kind of incident. She kept herself aware of Courtney's every move and position.

Landing on Courtney's broom, she turned to see how Courtney had fared.

Courtney pushed off of her broom and crossed her fingers, hoping to avoid an accident. Once Courtney landed in a heap on Liz's broom, she was relieved. It wasn't the best landing, but it wasn't a visit to the hospital wing either.

She turned her head to see if Liz landed okay. Once she saw everything was alright, she winked. "Not so bad, not so bad, " she chimed.

Liz grinned. "We did it!" she flew in circles around Courtney. "We did it! We did it!" she chanted over and over again, grinning widely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back