Pictures

Amy Stone

Wand
Rosewood Wand 14 1/4" Essence of Hair from the mane of a Unicorn
Amy had her photo album clutched carefully in one of her hands, and her sketch pad in her other hand. There were few places Amy went lately without her sketch pad. There was only one place Amy hadn't been lately, and that was the garden. She therefore took the decision to go and find some silent comfort there.

It was a cold day, but thankfully the rain had held off. For once Amy had dressed sensibly. She had her jeans on and her black jacket, the one which she hadn't worn since getting the news. It was almost like a bad omen for her, but she knew she had to try and help herself. Wearing this jacket would symbolise one step forward in the right direction. Still it felt..uncomfortable wearing it and she kept shifting it around.

She walked slowly round the garden, breathing in the sweet smells of the flowers as she done so. They helped clear her mind, help her think a little better. As she walked around she found a spot, just under one of the many trees. There were many benches that she could possibly choose, but she felt a little more comfortable on the soft earth.

Amy took a deep breath, closing her eyes. As she exhaled she opened her eyes slowly, and carefully placed her sketch pad on the ground next to her. After doing so she placed the photo album on her lap, and opened it.

Kiera was tired of the inside. She put on some jeans and her Gryffindor sweater before venturing outside. Kiera decided to walk through the garden. She loved all the flowers and trees in it.

Kiera then noticed Amy who seemed to be looking at some sort of book or album. She remembered when she had seen the younger girl earlier. Something was wrong with her friend. Kiera walked over to where Amy sat. Kiera grinned at her. "Hey Amy. Can I join you?" she asked.

Amy looked up at the sound of footsteps. They were a certain distance away but gradually growing closer and closer. It was then that the figure of Keira came into view. She smiled weakly at her, the photo album still resting on her crossed legs.
"Course, if you're willing to sit on the soil" she said huskily, glancing down at the brown earth on which she herself sat on.

Kiera was worried by the sound of Amy's voice. It wasnt the same as it had been before Christmas. Kiera smiled at Amy and lowered herself onto the dirt by Amy. "Of course I dont mind." she said in a friendly voice. Kiera took a better look at what was in Amy's lap. It was pictures. "What are those pictures of?" she asked.

Amy watched as Keira lowered herself down and then looked at the album sitting in Amys lap. She herself returned her gaze to the album and couldn't help but smile. On this particular page there were four photos; one showed Amy and her dad outside their house in Chipstead. Amy remembered it clearly, it was taken at Christmas time and the house and the garden were covered in a light sprinkling of snow. She remembered laughing as her uncle slipped down the pathway on the way to take the picture.
The second picture was of Amy and her uncle Callum. It was exactly the same as the picture of her and her father, but with her uncle in.
The third picture was of Amy and Dylan, Christmas day, sitting under the tree opening presents. Amy was laughing as Dylan tore open the paper, his brown tail wagging happily. Amy missed her dog, but again, couldn't help but smile as she saw the picture.
The last picture was of her uncle Callum and her dad pulling a cracker at the dining room table. The laughter and joy was visible on their faces. It all seemed so fresh in her mind.

Amy pointed down at the album, picking out her uncle.
"That there is my Uncle Callum". She then moved to the picture of her and her father.
"That there is my dad" she said, nearly choking on the word.
"And that's my dog, Dylan" she explained, pointing out her dog.

Kiera grinned. "Oh Amy! Thats such a cute dog! What kind is he?" she asked interestedly. She looked at the pictures of Amy's family. Kiera had only ever had her dad. She had grown up without her mother who she thought died in a car wreck. Kiera had found out this year that her mother was a Death Eater and not dead. "I wish I had an uncle. My dad is an only child though." she said with a shrug of her shoulders.

"Oh, he's an English Springer Spaniel" she told Keira, "He's as mad as anything" she added, smiling feebily. She listened as Keira explained about not having an uncle, Amy couldn't imagine not having an uncle. Although this could probably be because of losing her mother and now her father. Without her uncle Amy truly would be an orphan.
"I don't know where I'd be without my uncle" Amy admitted quietly, looking down at the album again.

Kiera grinned. "I bet he is. I just love dogs." she confessed. Kiera looked back down at the album. Amy looked so happy in all the pictures. Somehow, Amy's smile didnt reach her eyes. Kiera wondered what was wrong. Kiera nodded her head. "With my childhood, it was always just my brother and sister, dad, and me." she said.

"Do you have a dog?" Amy asked Keira, thinking that maybe she would seeing as she loved them so much. She listened as Keira talked about her siblings, of which Keira had one over on Amy.
"You beat me there, I don't have any brothers or sisters" she said, although Keira had already picked up on that, seeing as it was only herself and her dad and uncle in the pictures.

Kiera thought of her dog. She grinned as she remembered him. Kiera had named him after the dashing but devilish character, Rhett Butler, in her favorite book, Gone with the Wind. "Actually yes. I have one. His name is Rhett. Hes a big black lab." she said grinning. Kiera wasnt surprised that Amy had no brothers or sisters. She had figured as much. "I guessed when I saw your pictures." she confessed.

Amy smiled back at Keira at the mention of her dog. "He sounds lovely" she replied, her voice still in that husky and cold tone. When Keira told her that she had figured about her having no brothers and sisters she couldn't say she was suprised. Instead she merely smiled feebily, and turned the page of her photo album.

Another four pictures were on this page. The theme was still constant however; Christmas. This time it was all three of them, sitting at the table, wearing the hats from the Christmas crackers. Amy smiled as she remembered how Callum had set up the self timer and then ran frantically back to his seat to get there in time. The photo showed this as his hat was lopsided on his face, as was his smile.

The next picture down was that of Dylan, with a red ribbon on his collar and a Christmas hat perched precariously on his head. It looked almost as if he was smiling, which in turn made Amy smile.

The third picture was that of Christmas evening, with Amy and her dad sat on the sofa, a hot chocolate with large amounts of cream on top, sitting in their hands. The memory made tears well up in her eyes, the both of them looked so content in that picture. She blinked back the tears furiously, not wanting to cry right now. Instead she moved onto the next picture.

The last picture on that page was of Amy being pulled round the room by her Uncle Callum in an attempt to make her dance. Amy, at this stage, had her pyjamas on and happy smile was plastered on her face.

Kiera looked down as Amy turned the page on the photo album. Kiera noticed all these pictures seemed to revolve around christmas. Kiera couldnt help but wonder if this was from the last christmas. She could see the happiness reaching Amy's eyes in the pictures. It was a very different girl than the one who sat beside her. Kiera smiled. "Are these pictures from this christmas?" she inquired.

Amy listened as Keira asked a question. She coughed, trying to clear her throat before answering.
"Erm, no the Christmas before" she said very quietly, her head inclined. Again the tears were welling up in her eyes but she couldn't bare to cry so openly right now. She was so fed up of crying, and it was beginning to annoy her.

Kiera was unusually perceptive for her age. She always had been that way. She noticed the hesitant tone in Amy's voice. There was also an unusual amount of water in her eyes. As if something was in her eye or she was trying not to cry. Kiera was almost certian something had happened over Christmas break. Something Amy didnt want to share but that hurt her deeply. Kiera considered what she should say. She had no idea but felt honesty was the best idea. "Um Amy. Is everything alright?" she asked.

Amy sighed ever so slightly, wondering whether she should say anything to Keira. However she thought that maybe she could confide in Keira, and she now looked up at her fellow Gryffindor.

"Not really" she said softly, her voice astonishingly gentle when it had always been so harsh and cold lately.

Kiera looked at Amy. She noticed the change in Amy's voice. It was more like it had been before Christmas. "Are you sure?" Kiera asked kindly. She didnt want to pry she just wanted to make sure one of her little sisters was okay. "I was just wondering because you seem so different. Your smiles never reach your eyes anymore." she said softly.

Amy couldn't help but admire Keira's attentiveness.
"It's just...I....received some..bad news over Christmas" she stated, her voice resorting to its croaky and husky old self. She coughed, clearing her throat, trying to ease the pain she felt in her throat right now.

Kiera frowned. It must have been really bad news to have changed Amy so much. "Well little sis, do you wanna tell me about it?" she asked kindly. Sometimes talking about problems helped. Kiera always felt better after sharing.

Amy tried to smile at the reference to her being Keira's little sister. One thing she loved about being in Gryffindor was the fact that everyone was like family.
"I...I don't want to burden you with my problems" she replied in her husky manner, looking up at Keira sitting next to her.

Amy knew that Keira looking directly at her would give her away immediately. Her eyes were so dull, devoid of life.
"It's my...my...dad....he.....he.......had an accident...and...he...he....didn't make it" she explained quietly, the salty tears rolling quietly down her face. She shook her head and wiped her cheeks with her sleeves, not meaning to lose control like this. It seemed to flow out of her mouth quite easily, in fact slow easily that it suprised even Amy herself.

She had avoided telling people as she didn't want their sympathy or pity. Amy couldn't remember if she had told anyone about losing her mother, although she thought Keira must have guessed there was no mother figure in her life due to the photo album she had just been looking at.

Kiera leaned over and pulled Amy over into a hug. She let the younger girl cry. No wonder Amy looked so different. Thats a major event. Why are all my little sisters losing people? she thought. Ellie had lost her mother and Harriet had lost her best friend. Kiera took a breath and began to talk. "Amy. That is horrible. That should not have happened to you at such a young age." she said in a soothing voice. "What kind of accident was it?" she asked, hoping she wasnt prying too much.

Amy hugged Keira back, feeling a little better that she had confided in her.
"It was a collision...he...he was on his motorbike" was all she managed to say as her throat threatened to close up.

"My dad has one of those." Kiera said quietly. She had always believed nothing good would come from that bike. Maybe Amy's story would convince her dad. "Those bikes are awful. They have no support in a crash." she said still hugging Amy. "I am sorry this happened to your dad." she said truthfully.

"He really loved that bike" she murmered, thinking over the many times he had spent looking over and polishing his bike. Amy didn't know what else to say, instead she just sat there, hugging Keira.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back