OOC First Name
Claire
Blood Status
Unknown
Relationship Status
Too Young to Care
Wand
Curly 11 1/2 Inch Rigid Alder Wand with Dragon Heartstring Core
Synnove loped along next to Riley, her hands hanging loose in her pockets. There were small clusters of activity on the great lawn, the sunshine having lured everybody out to play or sit and chat on the warm grass. In the distance the trees were verdant with dark leaves. Every now and then a gentle spring breeze curled through Synnove’s coppery hair, scattering strands across her face, and she shook her head to disperse them.

They were heading to the courtyard. Earlier that morning Synnove had chanced upon what had to be the most wonderful room in the castle. Even Synnove, who hardly considered herself a creative type, could have spent all day in there messing around with paint and fabric and musical instruments. It was just the sort of room Riley would appreciate, so of course she was the first person Synnove had told about it. Besides, she was happy for an excuse to spend time with her friend. If she could call Riley that. ‘Aunt’ was closer to the truth, and she had met Riley about as many times as her aunts on Artemis’s side, but that felt awkward too. She settled on friend.

The arts room was empty, though it had a presence of its own which seemed to welcome the girls as they went inside. There was a strong smell of paint and wood and resin, all tangled together in the air. An upright piano stood in one corner surrounded by smaller instruments, and at the other end of the room canvases were propped up against paint-splattered easels and mannequins. “Here. We’re allowed to use anything we like. I checked,” Synnove said, sitting in front of the piano and tracing her fingers along the keys. Then, stuffing her hands in her lap, she rotated to face Riley and smiled. “What do you want to do first?”

If there was anything that could get Riley excited, it was the idea of an entire room full of art supplies. Her mother told her that she didn't have to bring many of her own supplies, but the First Year was yet to understand why; Hogwarts was apparently something that she had to discover herself. Synnove had solved the mystery for her. Riley hadn't done much exploring herself.
Riley almost wanted to run to the room - and not a lot gave her the inclintation to do so; but she was following Synnove, and she had no idea where she was going. She was glad that Synnove had come straight to her about it, and that she was happy to go then and there as well to show her where it was. The two finally made it to the Arts Room, barely hearing what Synnove said. Her eyes struggled to take in everything that she was looking at, her mind in a chain of "oh my merlin!" at all the things she saw. Riley knew this was going to be her favorite place. Realizing her neice friend had asked her a question, the Gryffindor turned and looked at her. "Hmm? Oh - um..." What did she want to do first? Paint of course. Riley moved over to the paints and canvases, thinking about what she should paint. "I've always wanted to try out portraits...feel like modeling?" Riley asked with a grin, picking up a brush.

Synnove would have done just about anything if it meant hanging out with Riley. Modelling was easy. "OK!" she said, dragging the piano stool closer to the painting supplies. "I might not be able to sit still for very long, but I'll try. How do I look?" She sat back down and struck a silly pose, then dissolved into giggles. "I've never seen your paintings before," she thought aloud suddenly. "This is exciting. Sorry, I'm moving all over the place. How's this?"

Riley grinned when Synnove agreed quickly to being a model. The Gryffindor girl wasn't entirely sure where to start, but she couldn't exactly concentrate when Synnove started giggling. Riley couldn't help but join in. "Well, you'll see one of my paintings if you sit still and let me paint!" Riley replied light heartedly with a laugh. "That's good, just - maybe put your hands in your lap - oh actually those don't matter, I'm just going to focus on your face - hang on." Riley stuttered out, before moving the easel closer to her friend. "That's better." Riley said with a grin.

Synnove bit her lip hard to contain her giggles. She was the worst model in the whole world! Perhaps it wasn't quite as easy as she'd thought. Professional models probably had to sit still for hours on end; Synnove was struggling to relax her face for ten seconds. Following Riley's direction, she stuffed her hands between her knees. "Oh, that's... cosy," she said as her friend scooted closer. "Don't get too close, you'll see the spot on my chin and the hairs up my nose and all sorts! Don't paint that."

Riley snorted with laughter at Synnove's response. "Don't you worry, imma get every hair on your upper lip too." She teased. It took the Gryffindor girl awhile, and it definitely wasn't any where near good enough, but it was a start, and she knew that with practice, she'd get even better. With the last finishing touches, Riley leaned back and looked at her friend. "Don't judge me by this...it's my first ever portrait. Usually my paintings are better okay! But - here, have a look." Riley said, moving out of the way.

"Noooo," Synnove whined, but she was laughing. Riley wouldn't do a thing like that. She hoped she wouldn't do a thing like that. Truth be told, though she called her a friend, Synnove didn't know Riley very well at all. Her few visits to the White mansion had always been accompanied by large amounts of family, and the only one Synnove had been old enough to remember properly was the sombre function after Uncle Gregory's funeral. She wished they had spent time alone together under better circumstances. Synnove would have loved to show Riley around the mansion - she would especially enjoy the secret garden Uncle Keevan had built for her dad.

The Hufflepuff's neck began to ache. She had been sitting still for hours and hours - or at least, it felt like she had. At last Riley gave her permission to move. Synnove jumped up at once and rounded the canvas, preparing for the masterpiece... "Oh... that's - nice," she said, then quickly recovered from her surprise. "It's really good! I love my hair. And, um - my eyes?"

Riley giggled at Synnove's excitement to see the picture, and she watched the girl nervously, anxious about her reaction. She watched as her friend tried to compliment the painting, and Riley couldn't help but burst out in laughter. "You're so sweet Synnove." She said, happily surprised that she wasn't upset with the reaction. "I know it's not the best. Thank you for being kind. And for being my first model. You can keep it." She paused, looking for Synnove's reaction. "Or we can just throw paint at it and see what comes out!" She giggled.

Synnove's acting wouldn't win her any awards, but she had at least hoped it might fool Riley. She stifled her laughed in her hand. "No, it really is good. I love it," she said, and she meant it. Nobody had ever wanted to paint her picture before, and that alone made it a special gift. Before Riley could throw paint at it, Synnove jumped in front of the canvas and threw out her arms out dramatically to protect it. "Don't you dare! It's a masterpiece! It belongs in a museum! If you touch it I'll have to hurt ye! Guards!!"

Riley laughed at Synnove's reaction, though she appreciated the sentiment and kindness her friend was showing. She was going to have to practice and paint her a better one to make up for it. Picking up her paint brush and dipping it in the paint, Riley held it out in front of her like a sword. "You act like that's going to stop me." She teased.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back