OOC First Name
Annabelle
Blood Status
Muggleborn
Relationship Status
Too Young to Care
Wand
Straight 12 Inch Rigid Pine Wand with Doxy Wing Core
Jacinta stood outside of the Slytherin house doorway, not wanting to go in. Her face was hidden by a book, but she wasn't reading anything. Out of four houses, you'd think I'd get one I was happy with. She sighed and put the book down. Thankfully, the corridor was quiet, so she didn't disturb anyone. She looked towards the door and rolled her eyes. Not wanting to look like she couldn't get in, she walked a few paces away from the door and stood on the other side of the corridor. At least I'm not the only one who's unhappy. She thought about some of the other first year girls she had met. It was nice knowing not everyone was glad to be sorted into Slytherin. Though, it didn't make it any easy. Sighing again, she slid down onto the ground, and opened her book again. May as well do something interesting while she wasted her time.

If there was one thing Sydney liked about the Slytherin common room, it was perfect fuel for the imagination. The dungeons always seemed to be dripping with hidden secrets, though she supposed that could just as easily be condensation dripping, but still. She loved throwing herself dramatically on her bed on bad days and being able to channel that mindset into her notebook surrounded by the dark, uncaring stone walls. Making her way down to the common room, Sydney was trailing her hands along the stone wall, trying to envision who might have built them as if they were centuries old, rather than merely 40ish, when she spotted what she guessed was a new first year camped out across from the door. "Did you forget how to get in or something?" She asked, trying to subtlety read the girl's book title to see if it was any good. "If you ask nicely I could let you in."

Jacinta looked up at the person who had just spoken to her."I didn't forget, I'm just choosing not to enter. But thank you." Her answer was a mix between polite and 'get away from me'. She looked back down at her book, hoping the girl would go away. It was obvious the girl was also in Slytherin, since her robes were green and Jacinta couldn't think of why anyone from another house would hang out down here. She glanced up and saw the girl still standing there."I'm sorry, do you need something?" Don't ask me, please don't ask me. She didn't want to help with anything.

Last edited:
Sydney was intrigued by the girl's choice of words. "The light for reading is probably better inside, you know," She said. Maybe the girl was just reading for show and waiting for someone. Sydney considered just ignoring the girl and heading inside, but she paused again at the doorway. "If you're scared of Professor Styx, he's not that bad," She hedged. It seemed like half the school was terrified of Styx, which amused Sydney. There was nothing to be afraid of as long as you weren't an idiot. So maybe it made sense how many people were. "He's probably one of the only teachers here who's actually worth your time."

"I don't really care about the light, it doesn't bother me." Jacinta laughed."What's the point of being afraid of someone who's done nothing to me?" Maybe the girl was scared of him herself, and that's why she said it. After all, Professor Styx was one professor. There were many more that would make up for one bad professor."Anyway, I try not to create opinions on the professors. I feel I'd change my work patterns if I did that."

Sydney folded her arms, agitated that this kid seemed to keep scoffing at her advice. This was what she always got when she tried to be nice. "Fine, whatever, strain your eyes then," She muttered. "Most people are scared of him because he doesn't bother to try and pretend to be your friend," It was probably one of the things she actually respected about Styx. It was unsurprising that yet another student would take that for granted, of course. "Why work hard for someone who's not worth your time, though?" She shot back. This kid clearly thought she was smart enough to know better than Sydney, and yet was willing to just do whatever any old teacher said to get the work done.

Jacinta shrugged."I preferred not to be babied, so maybe Professor Styx is doing something right." She didn't understand what the problem with this girl was. Did she not understand the importance of learning as much as possible on every subject?"Well, personally, I work hard because of the rewards at the end. Such as a nice career, not something boring because you failed subjects at school." It wasn't too difficult to understand. Work hard at school and you're probably going to get a good career. Jacinta didn't want to be stuck in a Muggle career.

Sydney was glad the girl could at least appreciate Styx. Not a lot of people in the school seemed to think the same way, which was unsurprising since they were all mostly simpering idiots. "Well it sounds like the sorting hat got something right there for once," She said sourly. Sydney was still not a fan of the whole house system, or the idea that some ridiculous magic hat might have any insight to actually know her mind or what was best for her, but she had to admit Slytherin had been a good fit for her so far.
"Wow, you really buy into all of that huh?" She said condescendingly as the girl talked about her perceived 'rewards'. "Isn't it important to learn and do things for the sake of what you want? Not what some adults or school system tells you is good? Sounds a lot more boring to me to work hard for an arbitrary grade because mummy and daddy said so." Sydney said with mock pity, making sure it was clear what she thought about all that.

Jacinta bristled when the girl said the sorting hat got something right."How would you know?" She hated the fact that someone thought she belonged in Slytherin, since it wasn't a house that she was particularly fond of. She listened as the girl spoke about grades and everything."Firstly, 'mummy and daddy' didn't say so. They didn't even care to start with. Secondly, I don't 'buy into it', that's what I believe is right for me." She snorted."Might not be your thoughts, but at least respect that's how I think." A little part of her agreed with the girl. Learning for yourself was important, but Jacinta did that outside of school. So she could separate each thing from the other and fully put herself into them."I suppose then you don't get high grades? If you're into learning for yourself, you must be learning different things than what you're supposed to be in class." She wasn't sure if she'd said too much, but she was interested in what this older girl's thoughts were. And what she would say in response to that.

Sydney allowed herself a small, smug grin when it seemed like she struck a nerve with the girl about being sorted. She knew she'd had similar feelings about Slytherin at first, but it seemed like she was more aware of how the world worked than this kid might be. "Just an observation," She said, primly.
She had to roll her eyes though when the girl insisted she was following along with the school and getting a good job because it was what she wanted. "I won't respect it if I think it's stupid," Sydney said with a huff, looking down at the younger girl scathingly. "Grades are just an arbitrary letter, it doesn't actually mean you know what you're talking about, so I don't care about them," She said simply. Sydney's grades weren't great, but she stood by what she said. They didn't mean anything and it wasn't like anyone cared how good or bad she did anyway. Either she got good grades and no one cared, or she ignored them and got to do what she wanted and still no one cared. "I'm learning as much as I can in a place like this where you're not even allowed to dual or brew potions in your first year. It's ridiculous how much they're keeping from us." She said, thinking sourly of how they even had certain books locked up in the library too. How were you supposed to learn in a school that wouldn't teach you anything.

"Well, your observation was incorrect." Jacinta smirked."Your loss. You'll struggle if you can't fake respect." She had learnt that the hard way, and she was still young. She knew she'd hit a nerve with the grades. Obviously this girl wasn't getting good grades. Still, Jacinta could see where she was coming from. The school wasn't teaching everything, but how many other Muggleborn students had no idea like she did? Surely they would teach everyone as though they had no idea. This girl obviously didn't like that. Which was fair, but it was helpful for Jacinta."Well, maybe if you worked hard and got good grades, they might let you look into more advanced stuff," she shrugged.

"Maybe you should learn some actual respect," Sydney said angrily, feeling her face heat up at the younger girl's comments. "I'm trying to do you a favour and offer a little insight, but I guess there's no helping some people," She said in a huff. It was tempting to just storm away, but Sydney didn't want the other girl to know she was upset. Why did this always seem to happen every time Sydney tried to offer people advice. At least when she was writing it for the paper no one spat it back in her face.
"I doubt it," She scoffed when the girl suggested Sydney work hard on the off chance the teachers might deign to let her learn something more advanced. "The teachers here all stick to the same boring curriculum they've probably had for like 50 years, they wouldn't know an advanced student if they made one head boy." She said, grinning at her own little joke, knowing the first year wouldn't have the context to know about last year's head boy's dramatic exit speech.

Jacinta laughed."Actual respect in rubbish, I've been taught that by my parents." She watched the girl's face grow hot. She was pleased with this, since she'd never made anyone get that mad at her before. It was interesting the girl didn't think the professors would let her learn more advanced topics."Maybe they'd appreciate an advanced student. Maybe it's just not you, so you don't know if they allow it." Jacinta wasn't sure if the professors would actually let someone learn things above their year, but it was a nice change to have someone actually express their feelings to her. She didn't like being ignored, and she knew her parents were doing that to her.

If the girl's line about respect hadn't immediately followed her badmouthing Sydney herself, she would have agreed with it. "Oh boohoo for you," She said sourly. She wasn't sure if the girl was implying her parents were great or sucked, but she didn't care either way. Parents sucked no matter what and their kids were either wise to it or too stupid to know better. She felt her jaw drop though when the girl continued to insult her and her intelligence. "The teachers are all idiots, they wouldn't know an 'advanced student' if one set their robes on fire," She said huffily. "Maybe one day you'll learn there's more to learning than good grades." She threw out pointedly. The younger girl clearly thought she was all that, bit Sydney could tell she was too stuck in the system to get half of what she was saying. What a waste.

Jacinta shrugged."I don't care about my parents, so whatever." She grinned to herself when she shocked the older girl. It was nice to see her jaw drop."An advanced student wouldn't set their robes on fire," she laughed."Hence the word 'advanced'." She didn't want to comment about grades, since she knew it would be a struggle to get good ones herself. One of the disadvantages of being Muggleborn. She just shrugged the comment off.

"That's possibly the first smart thing you've said then," Sydney said blandly. In her opinion, parents were a waste of time. It wasn't like you asked to be born, so who cared what they thought or who your family was.
"That's not what I- you know what, never mind. I'm not sure why I'm bothering," Sydney said, rolling her eyes. She didn't know if the girl was purposely twisting her words into something dumb or if she really just didn't get it, but it wasn't worth her time to butt heads with little annoying first years. It was frustrating meeting someone who could have so much potential to actually be smart, but Sydney usually found they ruined it by opening their mouth. Why didn't anyone ever listen to her? "Have fun with you weird little loner party out here, I guess." She said, moving to step into the common room.

Jacinta grinned. This girl wasn't happy with her. Fine, she didn't care."Why are you bothering? Don't have anyone else to disturb?" She held her book up."I haven't read a page since you started talking!" She didn't really need an answer, so began reading again. It was nice, having something to fall back on, and a book was always comforting. The girl started to leave again."Thanks, I definitely will now. At least I won't be interrupted." Out of the few other Slytherin's she had met, she hadn't thought much of most of them. The girls in her dorm were nice, but if everyone else was like this, how was she going to cope?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back