Occupy Wall Street

I actually believe a large part of their success to date is the distinct lack of specific demands.
Specific demands suggest you know the solution to what you're protesting. True and fair enough in most protests. Protesting a war? Solution: Get out of the war.
Protesting corporate greed and a broken middle class/a people's inability to properly survive n their country? Solution: ???
To try to say they know a solution would draw more criticism from people who know that solution won't work. They're saying they're displeased with how things currently are and aren't going to take it any more and expect their government to change that.
The group itself has made no "demands." There are individuals who have made demands to try to get some spotlight on them, but regularly the general assemblies have said that those people had no authority to speak for the whole.

I don't think they need to think of a solution - just some strategies to improving the areas in which they see trouble (unhappy with how banks are run ----> establish committees representing each demographic, which can help make major decisions which will affect the economy. That's just an example, that probably wouldn't actually work, but that sort of thing).
And I don't know about the majority - this information is gained from news coverage of the groups in NZ, and therefore it is possible that there is a difference between the groups or that I have been misinformed. That's just what I think from what I know.

So Friday when I went to City Hall for the Remembrance Day ceremonies it was also the first time I made my way down to the local occupy camp. It's really quite small, but it was an interesting dynamic. Hundreds of people gathered facing the cenotaph and just behind us in the park a handful of tents - people doing what it is so many people died to ensure they were able to do. And I'm sure the protesters were in the crowd for the ceremony that day (the camp itself seemed abandoned).

On another note, I think this open letter to Toronto's mayor Rob Ford really encapsulates the movement well:
http://occupyto.org/2011/11/13/press-release-occupy-toronto-general-assembly-responds-to-rob-ford/

Going to have to rehost that, Amanda. :p
It's not visible for anybody else. ;) (Hotlink protection for the winnn.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back