Not the Wright Brothers but getting there...

Carmen Peregrin

OOC First Name
Lin
Wand
Coconut Wand 14 1/4" Essence of Star Dust
Carmen hadn't really done too badly in her flying classes, she could fly and that was the main thing and any short comings she had were promptly blamed on the broom she was using. It had been this that had made Carmen attempt to modify one of the school brooms somehow. She had tinkered about with all sorts of gadgets she had found lying about the school, it hadn't been easy. What she needed were muggle gadgets but these could only be gotten in one place here at the school and getting students to accidentally drop stuff as they emerged from Muggle Studies was so not possible. She had summoned a few bits as the older students passed her but still she wasn't satisfied.

She had managed to create a small motor with some copper wire she had found, a few metal paper clips that she had 'borrowed' from muggle studies students and also a small battery she had also borrowed. Carmen had used some bronze sickles to and a magnet as well and even though the small motor, alright the tiny motor worked she knew there was very little hope of it actually getting a broom to run faster but it had all been so much fun getting this far. She truly hadn't thought she'd have been able to make the muggle style motor and had been thrilled with herself for managing it.

As she put the broom at hands distance from her and let go so that it hovered as ordinary magical brooms did, she flipped the switch on the motor and watched to see what would happen. The motor clicked to life and the broom sputtered forward about an inch or two and died a very quick death. Carmen sighed, the battery was much too small and had obviously no juice left to do much of anything. She stood there scratching her head trying to figure out her next plan of action, how could she get muggle parts to make a proper motor or generator to power a broom for longer? Stuffing her hands into the pockets of her skinny jeans, Carmen with a simple white t-shirt with the Slytherin crest looked nothing like the budding scientist she was but simply like any other young girl.

Charlie had his hands shoved in his pockets as he roamed aimlessly around the grounds. He found himself out the Common Room more often these days, which was a good thing as he had spent enough time in there when he first came to last him the rest of his school days.

Charlie was stepping across the lawn, when he glanced over to see the Quidditch Pitch. His lessons had been shocking and Charlie had found himself rather good at flying. He wasnt about to jump on a broom, but he found himself wanting to take a look around the pitch. Changing his path, he trecked across to the pitch.

Just before he arrived he looked up and noticed no one in the air, so he wouldnt be able to watch people fly, but when he looked back down he noticed a blonde haired girl tinkering with a broom. Well, at least thats what it looked like. Charlie stepped closer as the thing moved forward before dying. The girl scratched her head as Charlie made his approach, looking around he noticed it was Carmen, a small smile grew on Charlie's face as he said, "Hey. What is this?"

Carmen turned at the sound of her friends voice and smiled at him.
"It's supposed to be a motor driven broom something similar transportation wise to how a motor cycle would operate but my motor is much too small and I don't have any way to get a bigger battery" she looked at the broom as it hovered there, the tiny motor on it not even weighing it down.
"I ... promise you won't laugh?" she smiled at him shyly, "but I've tried to invent things or put a new spin on things since I was really small. Usually my grandfather helps me if I need a modification spell but with things like this he would only frown. He thinks it great when I try to modify a muggle gadget but is of the opinion that magical objects do not need any tweaking".

She smiled shaking her head slightly as she looked once more at the broom.
"So how are you Charlie? Oh, I meant to tell you my family are looking forward to you and Kaleb coming over at Christmas".

Charlie smiled back at Carmen and then listened to her explaining. He nodded with a slightly impressed look. "Cool." He admitted. She then asked him not to laugh and her shy smile made him promise he wouldnt. As she explained Charlie couldnt find anything to laugh at anyway, he thought it was amazing and wish he could invent things and tinker himself, but he had never tried and didnt think he would be great at it. He made music not inventions. "Why would I laugh at that?" He said with a grin. "I think its awesome." He finished.

He tore his eyes from Carmen and looked at her invention, he didnt know much but it obviously needed a stronger motor if it was going to work. He turned when Carmen spoke to him again. "Im okay." He said with a shrug, there wasnt really anything new to report. Kaleb? Who was that? Charlie thought back and vaguely remember the name of a boy in his classes. "Oh okay." He said grinning, "sounds great." He wouldnt ask about Kaleb, Charlie was sure if Carmen was friends with him he couldnt be too bad. Then again, Charlie had only met Carmen once before so didnt exactly know her extremely well.

Carmen smiled reaching out for the broom.
"You really don't think it's nerdy then?" she risked a glance at him wondering why it mattered so much what he thought of her inventive streak.
"I mean, not many Slytherins do this type of thing. Then again there are alot of things that Slytherins do that they shouldn't" she grinned.

Putting the broom on the ground she knelt down beside it to remove the small motor, she took a small muggle screwdriver from her back pocket and began tinkering away.
"Sorry I haven't been able to chat to you in a while, I let myself get bogged down with class work and then I usually get myself all caught up in my latest inventions. If I'm not careful I'll turn into a recluse" she turned to look up at him her bright smile directed completely at him.
"So what have you been up to Charlie?"

"No, I dont think its nerdy." He laughed, waving a dismissive hand. The comment about Slytherins stopped his laugh though. He knew roughly about the stereotype now and without thinking about it said, "Like they apparently shouldnt be muggle borns." He mumbled, wishing instantly that he could take it back. What if she didnt want him over her house now that she knew. Maybe she wouldnt notice that he was talking about himself. He could pass it off that he was talking about Slytherins in general. Yeah thats what he will do. Charlie's thoughts raced as he panicked.

"Oh thats okay." He rushed on, he himself hadnt done much school work. He saw no point in trying, because no one would care if he failed. He knew he wouldnt. He chuckled at her next comment and found himself admiring her bright smile, he looked up at the sky to distract himself from such thoughts. "Me? Not too much. Life is rather boring." He admitted, placing his hands in his pockets and kicking one leg back and forth, scuffing the grass slightly.

Carmen paused for a moment, a slight frown creased her beautiful face.
"Charlie!" she felt wounded as if he had physically hurt her himself. Carmen hated that particular stereotype above all others.

"I ... I never expected you to be like that" the motor came off in her hands and she stood up slowly to look at him, "Just... just because there are purebloods on my fathers side means nothing, on my mothers side they are muggles. Do you hate me now Charlie? Not every Slytherin is what he or she appears to be, there are probably more purebloods in the other houses than in ours. There is nothing wrong with being a muggle born, except they have to put up with alot of prejudice from people like you!"

Carmen NEVER got angry, she was always able to keep herself calm but this was one subject she was passionate about. She put her hand out over the broom and called 'UP' as she stared angrily at Charlie before turning around and stomping off in the direction of the shed to put the broom back.

Charlie winced at her comment, okay she had noticed. Her reaction, however was not what he expected. He blinked as she got angrier and angrier. He didnt know what he could say. He was used to being around angry people. But he usually didnt care about the people that were being angry towards him. He felt as if he withdrawing back into his shell that very few people could break through, but somehow Carmen had done just that. He didnt even know the girl.

Charlie barely registered her stomping away, his mind still blank as he stood blocking out the anger, a natural reaction for him. He didnt know what to do, but he had to do something. Go explain to her! Right now! His mind scolded. Charlie raced after her without a second thought. He grabbed her arm, surprised by his reaction, he never touched anyone unless they had issued the action. He gently stopped her. "Wait, I didnt mean it like that. I'ts me." He said quietly, looking down, before back up at her. "Im the Muggleborn, I... I didnt know whether you would think differently of me or not." He mumbled, pulling his eyes away. Wow, this was awkward. Charlie didnt like explaining himself to others, but right now, he didnt want Carmen to walk away from something that he hadnt meant.

Carmen was just about to open the shed door when she felt the hand on her arm. She stopped and looked at him. Her hazel eyes confused and hurt by someone she had considered her friend. She usually was a very good judge of character, how completely wrong she had been this time. Then Charlie spoke.

"Charlie" she sighed and shook her head, glad that her intuition hadn't let her down after all, "I would never judge a person because of their blood type."
She was more upset now that he had thought so little of her but their friendship was still young and hopefully with more time, he would know in future not to make such silly mistakes regarding her. Carmen dropped the broom and smiling put her arms about his neck. She wanted him to know she really and truly saw no difference in him no matter what blood type he was.
"We're friends Charlie, you could be a vampire and quite frankly I'd still be friends with you" she slowly released him from her attempt at a reassuring hug.
"Just don't ... don't think so little of me in future, please".

Charlie smiled weakly as she spoke. He shouldnt have judged her, but after some people he had met, he didnt know how people would react. He didnt want people to look down upon him simply because he was different. He grinned at the hands around his neck and placed his around her waist in return. He never knew how good it could feel to hug someone and feel genuinly cared about. Why had he shunned other peoples company for so long? Oh, thats right. He never stayed in one place long enough to get friends.

He pulled back as she did, also making sure to wipe the grin off his face as he had last time. He nodded, her words made sense. "Im sorry." He said softly. "I'ts just, my first day here, I was told by about 3 people after my sorting that basically people look down on muggleborns. I just havent told many people about it and it kind of slipped out before. Probably not in the best way." He admitted, stopping himself as he noticed he was rambling slightly. He eyes fixed on his feet.

Carmen reached out and put her hand tenderly under his chin to lift it up.
"Charlie Linus don't you ever look downwards. Be proud of who you are and of where you've come from. It's what has made you who you are and will help shape the man you'll someday be" she smiled at him then bent down to retrieve the broom once more.

Opening the door of the shed she placed it inside amongst the many others. She looked about her in the dark confined space at the old quidditch gear and school brooms.
"Do you have your own broom Charlie?" she wanted nothing more than to change the subject of blood types now, put them back on easier ground. She certainly didn't want Charlie upset by any more comments by stupid insensitive fools.

Charlie blinked as a hand came under his chin and he chuckled at the use of his full name. Her words however made him think of his parents and although he loved them, he couldnt be proud of them. Still he didnt think now was the time to start talking about his family. As a matter of fact, he didnt think ever would be a good time. He let out another laugh and said, "Way to go all wise on me." He joked, with a smile.

As she placed her broom away she asked if he had one. He shook his head. "I've never really flown exept in lessons." He admitted. He didnt want to fly, he had tried to stick to muggle ways as much as one could in a school full of magic folk.

She turned and flashed another of her brilliant smiles in his direction.
"Just because I'm blonde does not mean I can't be wise" she winked before looking back at the quidditch gear, "So I guess mucking about in the air is out of the question then?"

She had only flown herself in class as well, had certainly not had time to practise outside of class but her need to be the best at everything goaded her. She knew she certainly wasn't the best flyer amongst the first years of any house and promised herself that by the end of the school year this would be rectified.

Charlie chuckled at the blonde comment. He himself was wrong and he wasnt smart, or wise. He wasnt alot of things. Music was all he really knew. "I'm not too bad at flying." He shrugged, surprised by the fact himself. It was the one thing he didnt altogether mind about being a wizard. He felt free in the air. He felt like nothing could touch him, it was one of the greatest feelings in the world. But because he was so busy hating everything muggle, he wouldnt admit that.

Carmen smiled pulling up two of the better looking brooms and walking over to Charlie. She stood directly infront of him handing him one of them.
"I'm glad you're not bad at flying but what I asked was... if mucking about in the air was out of the question and as you didn't answer, I take it that you're alright with it".
She looked at him waiting for him to take the other broom from her.
"I'm not too bad at it either but I'd rather be brilliant".

Charlie chuckled lightly, feeling rather relaxed in Carmen's company. He nudged her lightly as he took the broom from her. A silent acceptance that he wouldnt mind a fly. "It was kind of an answer." He protested lightly with a grin.

"Im sure you will be." He admitted, swinging a leg over the broom, hoping he would remember how to fly the thing correctly as to not make a fool of himself in front of Carmen. He kicked off like he remembered he had to and instantly felt free. His dirty blonde hair pushing back from his face and the rush of air stinging his cheeks. He swerved his broom around to face Carmen.

Carmen closed the door of the shed behind her as Charlie kicked off into the air, she smiled as she watched him. Dropping her own broom she pulled her blonde hair back from her face and tied it into a high ponytail before splaying her hand over the broom, calling up and straddling the broom once she had caught it.
She kicked off and flew up to meet him. Her movements weren't great by any means, she was alot more graceful on the ground but she would only get better by constant practise.
"Want to do some laps then? I've seen some of the older students zigzag in and out and around those hoops if you want to try something like that?"

Charlie listened to Carmens suggestion and nodded. "Yeah, sounds good to me." He grinned, slowly edging his broom forward, before clutching it tighter and heading off at a faster pace. He wasnt overly fast on a broom, but he was pretty decent at turning and steering his broom. He knew how to move in their air. He looked over at Carmen and gave her a smile.

:doh: Totally Lame.

Carmen laughed as he sped off, her own knuckles were practically white from gripping so tightly to her own broom. She tried to keep up and was doing a fairly good enough job too or so she thought.
"How about the tallest center hoop?" she called out to him, "We can aim for that one, see who gets through it first and race down to the South end hoops".
Her competitive streak was out now and she was not nearly as awkward on the broom as she had been a moment before.

lamer :p

Charlie turned to Carmen and shook slightly on his broom. He wasnt too great at keeping his balance when he wasnt paying attention. He listened to what she had to say and raised an eyebrow. "Oh I see how it is. Bring it on!" He called back, steering his broom so it was slightly closer to Carmens and that they were level. He stopped his broom then, deciding where they were could be the starting line. "Are you ready?" He asked, a smirk dancing across his features. "Set." He tucked himself down slightly, pulling his eyes away from Carmen to look at his goal. He waited for only a moment, before saying a final. "Go!" And pushing his broom forward to the hoop.

Carmen smiled as he returned to where she hovered now on her broom. She had thrown down the gauntlet and he had accepted the challenge. As he counted down their starting point, Carmen couldn't resist smiling and winking at him. On the word 'go' she too pushed off not nearly as fast as she would like but better than she had imagined.

She lay as low as she possibly could as she tilted the head of the broom so as to climb higher in order to make the hoop. Part of her was convinced she was pulling ahead of Charlie but just to make sure she gave a quick look to her side.

Charlie kept speeding ahead as fast as he could, of course his lack of speed on a broom let him down. He was also a muggleborn and completely not used to the fact that people could fly on brooms. He thought himself quite lucky that he had a strange ability to fly, better than some people in his class that had known about it even. He saw Carmen's figure over take him and as she looked to her side, he grinned, accidently slowing as his concerntration was thrown off. He focused again and tried to catch up to the girl. Aware of the hoops getting closer and closer.

Carmen was awful at turning a broom and only remembered this as she came near the hoops. She had to slow herself down considerably just to make the turn. She felt cheated now that she hadn't practised those more. Taking a wide berth in order to make some sort of satisfactory turn to bring her around to face the back of the hoop, Carmen flew towards it again attempting once more to pick up her pace so she would not fall too far behind.

Charlie watched as Carmen slowed to make a turn around the hoop, Charlie too had to slow his pace, but not as much as Carmen had to. His turning was one of his better elements. Making a reasonably sharp turn around the hoop, he made his move to get in front of Carmen and he once again tried to speed up to keep his lead. He still had to make it the end, it gave Carmen plenty of time to catch up. But Charlie's competitive streak got the better of him and he lay low on his broom trying to get a good speed, although he didnt want to go too fast, afraid he might fall if he chose to stop.

Carmen distracted by Charlie overtaking her and making a much better turn didn't notice until it was too late that she had tilted her broom upwards, she swerved coming through the hoop knowing she would have hit her head otherwise. As it was, she swerved too hard and bounced her broom off the ring frame. For some bizarre reason she let go of the broom and clutched instead to the frame within seconds, almost as if she knew that the broom was no more good. The battered brush fell first to the ground before the rest of the broom followed. She was grateful for being so light, but didn't know how long she could hold on for.
"Charlie!" she called out as he continued to speed up the pitch, "Charlie get some help fast".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back