Sydney Townsend

Amateur Duellist | Smarter Than You

OOC First Name
Kris
Blood Status
Mixed Blood
Relationship Status
Single (Not Looking)
Sydney didn't know what she was doing out here. It'd been a stupid idea, even going close to the Great Hall tonight, but she'd half believed that maybe Emily would try to come find her again. Instead, she'd just seen everyone else dressed up and having a stupid time and needed to bail before anyone saw her and got any ideas about her presence there. The courtyard had been closest and now Sydney was basically trapped until midnight when everyone finally cleared off. Why hadn't see just stayed in her dorm or in the library.

Calling herself a few choice names for being such an idiot, Sydney parked herself on a nearby bench, making sure to take a few breaks from the internal name calling to shoot dark looks at the door to the entrance hall, hoping maybe she could ruin a few peoples' evenings by sheer willpower alone.

Emily had been a little put out when her scan of the library hadn't revealed Sydney to her. She pouted, wandering around a bit. Where else would she be? The abandoned classroom was still abandoned. She peeked into the Great hall, rolling her eyes at the sappiness from there. She passed by the courtyard as she wondered around, debating just going to her dorm and reading. She hesitated as she spotted a familiar glare. Smiling, she quickly turned and went back. "There you are!" She sauntered over. "You weren't in the library or the abandoned classroom," Emily pouted a bit, sitting next to Sydney without waiting for an invite. "It's nice out tonight, I can see why you wanted outside," she commented, giving the girl a smile.

Hearing the clacking of heels, Sydney had thought it was some simpering ball attending walking through the hall. It wasn't till she saw Emily, still dressed up, stepping out into the courtyard that Sydney snapped out her sour staring. "I'm not out here cause it's nice," she said, tone clipped as her brain tried to process the fact that Emily was looking for her. "You all dressed up for the ball then?" She said gruffly, dispproval for the event clear as she waved a hand to the dress Emily was wearing. Emily looked... Nice. But Sydney didn't like to put too much stock in clothes. People got so caught up on their appearance, it was exhausting. It was part of why she made such a point to put as little care into her own as possible. If people only cared about looks, she was going to make sure they steered clear of her. But still. Emily looked nice.

Emily smiled, unfazed by Sydneys curt response. She shrugged at the question. "Nope. Dressing up for the ball means I meant to go. I just like wearing something a bit nicer every now and then. I just get less questions if there's some sort of event," She laughed lightly. "I would ask why you didn't go to the dance but I think I already know why." She smiled a bit. "But hey, I suppose it saves me from trying to figure out how to ask you to dances if I already know you won't like them." She winked playfully.

Sydney arched an eyebrow at Emily's response, giving her a dubious once over. "Uhuh.. You just felt like dressing up. Sure," she said, not believing Emily's response for a second though she pondered whether she should appreciate that Emily clearly cared enough about her opinion to try and lie, even if it was a terrible lie. She nodded when Emily mentioned not going to the dance, not bothering to hide her eyeroll. "What complete waste of time, I don't know why anyone would bother," she muttered, trying to ignore the memories of going with Samantha and the way her heart clenched.

Emily's next comment caught her by surprise, as did the wink that followed when Sydney whipped her hear to look at her. She squinted, unsure how to respond before deciding starting with a frown was a good first step. "Are you making fun of me?" she asked sharply. Sydney liked hanging out with Emily, she was well-read and generally not a total bore to speak to, but if she'd decided to hop on the same bandwagon as Michael and Eric then Sydney wouldn't hesitate to drop her in a heartbeat.

Emily chuckled. "Yes, believe it or not. I like how soft the fabric is, and these heels aren't too bad." She ran her hand over her skirt, enjoying the feeling under her fingers. She smiled softly. "I think in general it's over done and a bit drastic, but I've heard it's bearable if you go with the right person," She laughed lightly. She'd heard as much from family members, at least.

Emily raised a brow as Sydney asked if she was making fun of her, and shook her head. "I like to think you know me better than that," she replied easily. "I'm not really the joking type. If you want jokes, then my brother should be about somewhere in the Gryffindor tower," she shrugged.

Sydney clicked her tongue at Emily's explanation, still not buying it. She refused to believe anyone would dress up like for fun and not to just try and impress someone. "Doubt it," she muttered when Emily mentioned going to the ball with the right person would make it bearable, her mind still straying to Samantha. It had almost been enjoyable going with her, but the memory was forever tainted now and Sydney couldn't see herself making that mistake again any time soon.

Sydney wasn't sure she liked the way Emily was talking to her. All coy and mysterious like she was dancing around something Sydney should already know. She wished more people would just say what they meant. Though Emily's comment implied that she had and it sent Sydney's brain for a loop trying to parse it out. "I should go to bed," she said abruptly, standing up suddenly. She had a lot to think about and Emily all dressed up was making it hard to focus. "Happy Yule or whatever," she muttered, all but fleeing down to the dungeons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back