New Friend in a Nice Place

"Okay, I guess. I once tried flying. But I guess I was too afraid of flying." Sarah says, smiling at herself for the funny memories. "Have you ever tried it?" she asks.
"Okay, I guess. I once tried flying. But I guess I was too afraid of flying." Sarah says, smiling at herself for the funny memories. "Have you ever tried it?" she asks.

"Ummm. Claude and I saw some brooms left out on the quidditch pitch a few days ago, and I was trying to hover, but I got too scared and couldn't get down, so he had to use 'Accio' to get me back on the ground." Hiria said. "And I have a very bad fear of heights, so I'm thinking I won't be good at flying." she added.

"Me too! It's a good reason why I only rode the broom once. Even the stairs scares me sometimes, you know." She told Hiria.

Hiria said "Me too! I'm always careful to hold the handrails. And, if there are none, I'm just VERY careful."

"Yes. Nobody wants to experience falling, tripping and embarassment." Sarah nods.

"Exactly. This might sound random, but do you have any fears apart from heights? I'm scared of mice and Caterpillars." Hiria said.

"I think every girl is scared of mice. Even me. Caterpillars..." Sarah pauses for a while to think. "Right...my cousin once killed a caterpillar...it was so gross." Sarah's expression went, mixed, like the one you'd think disgusting. "I'm scared of..." she pauses to think. "...ghosts? Even if they're almost everywhere?" Sarah shivers.

Hiria said "Actually, there's this girl at my muggle school, Maike, who has a mouse for a PET! I can't understand why anyone would want one for a pet. And she seems surprised whenever anyone's scared of or don't like mice." She added "the ghosts thing is completely understandable. Have you heard about the spirit of The Borley Mansion in Brightsone, called Hunapo?"

"Wow. A mouse for a pet. I know! A mouse!" Sarah exclaims a bit loudly. Then quiets down a bit. "I know The Borely Mansion in Brightstone...but who's Hunapo?" She asks. She heard about it, but never visited it because she was afraid.

Hiria said "Hunpo is a spirit, that resides in Borley Mansion. You see, Hunpo translates from Maori to English as "Hidden Darkness". You see, it doesn't take to kindly to Pakeha - Non Maori, European, that sort of thing, or Kiritea - the white skinned people. Because, if you know some history of new zealand, the British People- a good example of Pakeha, thought they had "discovered new zealand" and discovered there were people already on the land, they tried to convert them to the english ways, but sometimes in doing so, when people refused to, they took to killing them. There's this thing called the Treaty of Waitangi, which I can't go into too much detail as it takes a long time. But, that's what happened to the Hunapo's people. They were murdered by the Kiritea. And the house is it's people's burial ground, so it thinks people are disrespecting his people if they just stroll in, sort of thing. But, I was thinking since I'm Maori, well half anyway, and I know things that are signs of respect,and I have a ponamu - greenstone, which is considered one of New Zealand's taonga's- treasures, so I was thinking it might be more kindly towards me. I was thinking to go there to tell it not to harm my friends here at Hogwarts." Hiria finsihed and had to take several large breaths as she had been speaking for a long time.

"Oh," was all Sarah could reply. "What happens to you if you go there and you're a Kiritea?" She asks, curious.

Hiria shrugged. "I don't know. I've just heard the stories from around Hogwarts." she said. The she said "Sarah, be honest. If I needed moral support when I went to talk to Hunapo, would you come with me? For the signs of respect , I could teach you the Karakia (OOC- I only know about one or so) -It's like a prayer and The Waiata- Song. And I have a spare Ponamu -Greenstone you could wear." she finished.

"Yes." She replied. Then she shivered. The thought of seeing Hunapo scared her a bit. And even talking. She was afraid of ghosts and now going to talk to ghosts. She shivered again at that thought. "Sure!" She says. Anyway, besides her fears, she was curious. That was her, would do anything just to solve that curiousity of hers.

"Great!" Hiria said. she said "Ok, the karakia goes :
E to matou matua i te rangi
Kia tapu tou ingoa
Kia tae mai tou rangatiratanga
Kia metia tau e pai
ki runga ki te whenua
kia rite ano ki to te rangi
Homai ki a matou aianei
he taro ma matou mo tenei ra
Murua o matou hara
Me matou hoki e muru nei
i o te hunga e hara ana ki a matou
Aua hoki matou e kawea kia whakawaia
Engari whakaorangia matou i te kino
Nou hoki te rangatiratanga
te kaha
me te kororia
Ake ake ake
Amine "
She had to take more breaths after that as that was a while of talking.

After Hiria said the karakia, Sarah was confused. "E to matou matua? It's quite long, but I have good memory. I just don't know how to say them...how did you know this?" Sarah asks, beginning to write on a parchment and writing the karakia she just said:

E to matou matua i te rangi
Kia tapu tou ingoa
Kia tae mai tou rangatiratanga
Kia metia tau e pai
ki runga ki te whenua
kia rite ano ki to te rangi
Homai ki a matou aianei
he taro ma matou mo tenei ra
Murua o matou hara
Me matou hoki e muru nei
i o te hunga e hara ana ki a matou
Aua hoki matou e kawea kia whakawaia
Engari whakaorangia matou i te kino
Nou hoki te rangatiratanga
te kaha
me te kororia
Ake ake ake
Amine

Hiria said simply "I learnt it at my muggle school in my Maori class. We say it before the Maori lesson begins. So I tend to remember it. It's basically the one of the only karakia I know." and Hiria also added "Ok, The Waiata is called Ka Waiata ki a Maria. It goes like this" Hiria began to sing (quietly,cause they were in the library)

Ka waiata ki a Maria
Hine i whakaae
Whakameatia mai
Te whare tangata.

Hine pûrotu
Hine ngâkau
Hine rangimârie

Ko Te Whaea
Ko te whaea
O te ao
" Hiria finished. She really liked that song. It was one of the waiata she knew off by heart.

"Wow. You have Maori lessons." Sarah commented. "Let's see," Sarah pauses, trying to remember. She said the words but didn't sing.

"Ka waiata ki a Maria...
Hine i whakaae
Whakameatia mai
Te whare tangata...

Hine pûrotu
Hine ngâkau
Hine rangimârie

Ko Te Whaea?
Ko te whaea
O te ao"

After she was done, she tried to say it again. This time, she was sure of the words. "Now, with tone." She tells her. She began to hum. After a while she tried to sing it quietly.

And Hiria had a surprise for Sarah. "I've also got a surprise for you. Open your hands and close your eyes, and you will get a big surprise!(My mum says that) Well, small in this case." She said, while reaching in her bag.

"Okay!" She replies excitingly. Sarah opened her hand and closed her eyes. She wanted to know what was it.

Hiria got a small item out of her bag, and dropped it in Sarah's hand. "It's your own Pounamu -Greenstone. I have one already, this was a spare, but it's yours now." she said. She had, as she had said, given Sarah her own Pounamu. It was a small greenstone on a plain black string, to be used as a necklace.

Sarah opened her eyes. Hiria told her it was a Pounamu-Greenstone. Sarah was glad. It had a small greenstone on a black string. It was plain, but she thought it looked good. "What does Pounamu-Greenstone exactly does?" She asks. She heard Hiria say that with the Pounamu-Greenstone, you'd be protected or something.

"Well, it doesn't exactly do anything, it's more of a Maori cultural thing, and Pounamu is considered to be very precious, which it is. Maybe in that way, it would protect us. I suppose you just have to have faith in it." Hiria said.

"Well, we'll need time to prepare..... Maybe next week?" Hiria suggested.

"Fine with me." Sarah replies at her question. "How do we prepare?" she asks. Sarah never really thought of preparing when it comes to these kinds of situations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back