Needing a place to stay.

Gregory felt his mood darkened as Alexander turned to watch Adrianna far longer than he deemed necessary. He fell silent and decided to distract himself; the man was entitled to look, wasn't he? After all, Adrianna was in love with him and not Alexander, so he hadn't anything to fear. Even so, the mug of tea that he had just poured for Alex was being stirred a little harder than it should have been, spoon tinkling against the glass.

Despite the fact that Alexander had suggested it as though it were a motel, dinner seemed like a good idea. When Greg was cooking he tended to get lost in the preparation and so was able to clear his mind a little. "That sounds fine. I can cook anything you'd like, just say the word." replied Greg, smiling back at Alexander. His smile was a lot more open and honest, but his baby blue eyes glittered strangely as he passed him the hot mug of tea. "So what has been the trouble to have brought you here with us?" asked Greg as he moved to pull out a cutting board and a few pieces of cutlery. Though he was relaxed and casual, there was no room for argument in his voice. If he really had brought danger to their household, Greg would need to know.

Alexander watched as Gregory stirred the tea and took a sip when it was set before him. Gregory said he would cook anything. "Anything is fine, you have already done so much for me." He set down the warm tea. It had felt good down his parched throat. When he looked at Gregory the next time it was like he was a completely different person.

Alex was trying his all to be nice, speaking this man had kept him from being throw out, but he really did not want to talk about his problem. He sighed he was going to have to our Adrianna would so her took a deep breath. "I was in with some bad people in Germany. I took a little more than my share, and they want it back. That's what I came here for, also news says by sisters here, so I need to make sure she's okay." That was the simplest way he could put it. "They won't look for me her though, they know I hate water." He finished.

Adrianna leaped against a tree, killing a small squirel. She snarled, letting her anger out. After a while she felt better. Going hunting always helped. As she ran she taught back to the past, and how much it hurt to think about it. It had been fun, sleeping every night in Alex's arms. Inside she could feel herself smiling. Being with Gregory was nice though. It made her feel so safe, it wasn't like the danger filled adventures she had had with Alex. She huffed, and made her was back to the Mansion. She transformed back into her human figure, and gracefully walked the rest of the way back.

She stretched as she reached the door, her muscles sore from the roughness of her change. Still, she was getting better, and was able to stay longer in her human form. She smiled and opened the door, her hair wild about her. She was sure she looked ferral, but she didn't really care. She walked over to Gregory and wrapped her arms around his shoulders, bending over to nuzzle his neck. She felt better, and didn't care if Alex stayed or not. "So Remi, seen Kari lately. He lives here with that brat sister of his. I bumped into him not to long ago and he didn't even recognize me."

Greg finally relaxed as he heard the full story of Alex's plight. None of it sounded too dire, or at least anything both he or Adrianna couldn't handle, so they should all be fine. Briefly he glanced out of the window as the smell of blood wafted through, tainting the skin of his nose so that he felt like it clung to him. The hair on his arms stood on end though his posture was completely relaxed, and he turned from the window and back to Alexander. For no reason that he could think of, Greg wanted to be alone and out of the house. He would leave Adrianna and Alex to their own devices and... this sounds like a bad idea already, he told himself.

The training he had been doing for many months to become a lion animagus was only half complete, and Greg still had quite a way to go before he could change. Nevertheless, he felt the pull of a flesh that was not his own. Soon he could shift into lion form, and he would know Adrianna's freedom.

Not often surprised, he practically leapt a mile high when Adrianna swept through the door and back into the kitchen. Unbeknownst to him, he had left the room in a heavy silence that would have made Alex quite uncomfortable if Greg had bothered to pay attention to it. Half a moment later, he felt the warm arms of his lover around him and smiled, but did not look at her. He needed to be alone to think. "Scuse me, I won't be a moment," he mumbled into his chest and stood so that her arms fell off him. In the same motion he moved out of the door and into the cool midday with a voice and manner quite unlike his usual self. Adrianna would know something was wrong, but he was into the woods before she could draw breath. Gregory was angry, and for the first time in his life he didn't know why.

Adrianna sat in confusion, a pout on her lips. She sighed, wondering to herself if she had done something wrong. She propped her chin on her hands and hefted a big sigh as she watched him flee the room. She bite her lip and then reminded herself to smile. She knew Alex would catch on if she acted sad. She cleared her throat and sat up strait. Her gaze cool as it fell over her unwanted company. She smirked, wondering if he was surprised that Kari too was in town.

Alexander watched the sene unfold before him. Adrianna changing back, the slight lingering of blood still on her breath, Gregory leaving. It all happened in a short period of time. He looked over at Adrianna as Gregory left. She asked if I had seen Kari or Kala lately. Alex smiled, "Yes actually I have a letter for hi mfrom Azkaban."

he smirked knowing she hadn't expected that but being in with the police had its perks. He looked at her and wondered what she was thinking avout. She was so hard t ounderstand sometimes. "And my neice is far from a brat."

Adrianna wrinkled her nose. She had never had a taste for the wanna~be rock with her multicolored hair. She always wanted to bend her over her knee and give that girl a good whooping. Of course, Kari would never let her do that. He didn't believe in that kind of punishment. She looked up at Alex, he always had nice features. She smiled coyly, her first real smile since he arrived then looked down at her cool cup of tea. "You look good Remi. I'm glad to see your not hurt."

She felt bad for saying it, but she was. They had a history, one she wouldn't forget. She remembered him diving into a cold river to save her life, even standing up to her father. In the end it wasn't enough. It was never enough. She sighed, looking away. Looking at anything but him. She didn't want him to see her pain, her shame. She cleared her throat. "So, besides getting into trouble, what else have you been up to?"

Alex frowned he hadn't wanted to tell her but he didn't want to make anything up either. He looked at her a bit more serious. "Adrianna." He looked at her he knew what he was doing but yet he did it anyway. "I'm in more trouble than you think." he pulled up his shirt a bit to show a large scar, from where a bullet had went through just below his heart.

he looked into her eye's with his liquid topaz one's. Most of the men after him had been muggles. Luckly he had been able to heal himself or he would have been a dead man. His look sofened for her response. He tried to look casual, and calm. But he really didn't feel that way, not now.

Adrianna gasped at the bullet scar. She raise a hand to her mouth, covering it as her jaw dropped. The flesh was still a bit pink and ragged, but it looked as if it had healed well. She remembered he had always been good at healing spells. He must have gotten better. She wanted to reach out and touch it, caress it, will magic into it, but was able to resist. Thinking of Gregory helped. She sighed and shook her head. She wanted to help him, but she didn't want to end up wanting him.

She took a sip of her tea and wrinkled her nose, forgetting that it was cold. Standing up she went to pour herself a fresh cup from the still warm kettle. She hummed a song she knew he would remember. It was something he used to sing to her to calm her down after her father had had his was with her. She smiled softly to herself, and set back down with her cup, finishing the last few notes as she did so. She looked him in the eyes, the topaz warming her heart. "So how bad is it?"

Alexander wit ha bit of regret watched her as she expresses her shock. He looked down wondering if he had done the right thing. He concluded it was better for her to know if he was going to be staying with her. He held in a slight chuckle as she tried to drink the cold tea. The wrinkle of her nose lightened his spirt a bit.

Then she hummed the tune. It was the one his mother had sang to all the children before bed. Alex had shared it with her in her time of need. His eye's welled for only a moment as he remembered all his past. His mother and sister's death, Adrianna in so much pysicsal and emotinal pain. He met Adrianna's eye's. "It couldn't get much worse." He sighed, recalling the words of the police, 'The best thing we can do is buy you a plan ticket.'

Adrianna nodded, not knowing if she should press the issue. True, she didn't think it was a good idea for him to stay with her. There was just to much in their past for that to go over well. Still, who out their could provide a better shelter than she, no one. She chewed on her lip for an instant, trying to decide what to do. The snow leopard inside paced. She was going on about how you never leave a pride member, and Alex was pride.

She took a big gulp of her tea, scalding her throat in the process, then sighed. It ached her to day it, but there was room for him. She looked away, and spoke in a low voice. "You may stay here if you need to Alexander. Just remember, what was between us is done. It will never come back." She used his real name to make sure he understood. She would have to remember to keep doing that to keep things from getting to personal. "There is a guest house, about a quarter of a mile from here, hidden in the woods, It used to be a servant's quarters but you know how I am. You may stay there."

Alexander smiled, just Adrianna mentioning their past made him want to kiss her. The love and memory's they had shared over the years could never do away, and she knew it. He thought of Kandee another lover of his past. They had a bond as well, he seemed to have a problem with not letting go. He wondered if it was the same with Adrianna and Kandee. Every girl he had dated for that matter.

Alex nodded as Adrianna finished. He knew she was trying to make a point by calling him Alexander and all he could do was grin. He was so happy and he knew what he wanted to do so badly, deep down he knew it was wrong but took the risk anyway. He walked to Adrianna in one swift step and kissed her. He kissed her with all the passion he had in him.

Adrianna's first intention was to resist. To her surprise she found herself leaning into the kiss. Tear streamed down her cheek as briefly she thought of Gregory, but that was soon washed from her mind. She found herself wrapping her arms around his waist hungrily, pulling him down to her level. She kissed him with all that she had lost over the years, all the pain and suffering of having to let him go. She found the tears streaming more and more, into an unstoppable river of sorrow. She took a wicked delight in kissing him, reliving all the memory's of sleeping side by side each night. Protecting each other. Still there was a great sorrow, for she knew she was betraying Gregory. She loved him so much. In the back of her mind she could only plead. 'Gregory, help me.'

It was singularly the worst moment of Gregory’s entire life, watching the scene that he had walked in upon. His mind was finally clear from his walk, and Greg had moved down to the vegetable and herb garden to gather the last of the rosemary in long bunches. True, a bit of magic had gone into their care, but these pure and simple thoughts meant nothing anymore as he walked quietly back into the kitchen. All the pain of Crucio and growing his own fingers back was nothing, nothing compared to the instantaneous heartache that struck him in the gut like an anvil.

There was an ear-splitting crack as the door frame splintered beneath his vice-like fingers, and the entire frame buckled from top to bottom. The house shook with it, and if that had not been enough to part the kissing pair, then Adrianna’s ears at least had picked up his almost imperceptible moan of anguish under his breath. “Oh, I’m sorry.” whispered Greg as the tremors died, and he pulled his hand away from the door to find it bleeding, pierced with splinters directly into the webbing of his hands. The silence was deafening to his ears. Who was going to make the next move?

A loud crack made Adrianna freeze and she looked over Alex's shoulder to see Gregory standing in the door way, which had cracked around his hand, and was falling little by little out of place. She looked at his with wide eyes, her sharp blue color almost green with pain. She was terrified of loosing him. She pushed at Alex's chest, wanting to rise, wanting to run toward him and comfort him. Most of all she felt something she had never felt before, the urge to beg him for forgiveness.

Her tears streaked hot red lines down her face as she moved around Alex and stood, a look of shame on her face. She tried to go through scenarios, trying to figure out how to explain her betrayal to him. Each one ended the same, with him leaving her. Her heart snapped and she looked at her feet not knowing what to do. She thought about what Alex would do, afraid he might confront Gregory. She shook her head and looked up at her anguished lover, her voice pleading and broken. "Oh, Gregory."

Alex heard the crack and instantly he thought he had been found. he let go of Adrianna and turned to see Gregory. He sighed a breath of relief knowing this wasn't as bad. He knew what they had done was bad but it was all there emotions being let out into each other. He knew Adrianna would not want him to try and explain. He looked down. He did love Adrianna dearly but he didn't want to hurt her. And breaking Gregory and her up would surely do so.

Alex looked down for a moment. He looked to Adrianna and then to Gregory. He knew he could never stay here not now. He had screwed things up and he knew it was his own fault. He sighed trying to decide if he should say anything yet. "I think I should go." He looked at Gregory with his golden eyes pleading to just let him go. He hated making up and apologies.

But of course, throwing someone out on the street was not the sort of thing Greg would do. This was not about vengeance or forgiveness, but about true desires and tolerance. Gregory saw right through his pain and directly into Adrianna's. She was crying, for the second time since he had met her, and it hurt more terribly than his stinging hand or screaming heart. Yet did Alex think he could leave at least without being reprimanded? Adrianna he knew, and Adrianna he could forgive, for all the things he knew about her past and who this man had been to her. But he did not know Alex, and for all Greg knew he was a scoundrel who would do this to other people again and again.

Still there was silence, and now he turned his eyes to Alexander's. Now his blue eyes went grey, and the look seemed soul-piercing. Gregory took a small but much-needed breath, and spoke. "You may continue to stay here," he said, and the shock of his words rang throughout the room. The silence permeated all once again, but Greg was not finished. "If Adrianna truly wants you," he said as he glanced slightly at his distraught lover, "Then you must make her happy. But if she does not-" he took another breath, and a barrier gave way behind his eyes and in flooded all the fury he had be reigning in for so long. "-then you will stay. Away." There was something ethereal about the way he approached both people now, looking between them. "Do you understand?"

Alexander watched as Gregory did something Alex knew he could have never done himself. It wasn't that he wanted to go but he was sure Adrianna would want him to. The words hit him hard. He could not understand why this man, who did not even know him was so willing to give up forgiveness like it was nothing. He looked at Adrianna knowing he had ruined any chance of there friendship being normal. He wanted to bolt and never come back more then anything but he knew that would never solve the problem he had caused. So he looked back to Gregory, "I understand completely." He waited for Adrianna to speak knowing when to let things be for the moment.

Adrianna wasn't really focusing on what was being said, she just stood there in a daze, wondering if they would start fighting or not. She had seen so many guys throw punches over her she was pretty much use to it. Some how though, she didn't believe she could be as calm as usually if they did. She took a deep breath and walked forward. She placed her arms around Gregory's waist, not entirely let her keep it there. She gave Alexander a foreboding look. "Get out."

Slowly Gregory took her hand from his waist and dropped it beside her. "Why don't you see if you can find some spare clothing in the hall closet?" he told Alexander meaningfully, leaving no room for argument. "We have a guest house you know, I'll show you there in a minute." In those few phrases he had brushed Adrianna off completely, and practically ignored her command for Alex to get out entirely. The thought of striking Alexander never at any point passed through his mind, for his rage was so bottomless and blind that every moment from here to there was a gamble. How he continued to stay true to himself during the passionate fury was a mystery of some God-like feat.

His breath was slow and cracked, and Gregory bent down to begin picking up fallen strands of rosemary and splinters till the floor was clear. Everything so unnaturally normal that it would likely made the other inhabitants of the room shudder. Silence, more unbearable silence.

“I’ll make some more tea,”
said Greg, and rather than alleviating the tension, his words merely heightened it. With shaking hands he began to pull long splinters out of his palms, flicking sticks and blood onto the wooden floor before moving over to the kitchen, leaving the two behind silently.

Alex winced, he new Adrianna would want to kick him out but the words still struck him like a viper. Alexander knew he could never stay here and live with the pain he would be causing Adrianna for every second he did. He wouldn't be able to stand it. He heard what Gregory said and felt much gratitude and appreciation toward him. But it wouldn't be enough to make him stay.

"I'm sorry but I can't." He looked from Gregory to Adrianna. "I appreciate all that you have done, but I couldn't." He looked toward the door. He had done too much damage as is to there relationship. "I'll stay in a hotel till I find Alexia." He knew it would have to be this way, but wished it hadn't come to this. "Thank you both again. But I have to go." He didn't say goodbye but instead made his way to the door ashamed and started to make his way toward town without a backwards glance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back