Status
Not open for further replies.

Lumina Sangora

OOC First Name
Beth
Wand
Cherrywood, 11' 3/4" Essence of Griffin Feather
Don't panic, I'm not planning any.
I was just curious as to HNZ's view on the subject.
In some countries it's allowed, some it's not so my question, I suppose, is can people get married to more than one person in the world in which Harry Potter exists?

Thanks to anyone who takes the time to reply. Whoever they are.

I would say it is rare, but I don't believe it would be unheard of. I mean if it is custom in the country this character grew up in whether muggle or not I would think that would happen, just like arranged marriages.

O'course you'd have to double check with Nick and Liv on this one, but it is just my opinion :) .

I would look at it through Canonically first, throughout the seven books there's no mention of any witch or wizard who had multiple spouses, from that we can look at it a couple of ways:

1.) Witches and Wizards believe in the more traditional one husband one wife sense (most likely)

2.) Those witches and wizards that did have multiple wives/ husbands were never seen since there were so many we didn't know (however there are still no mentions of such things hence why it's not likely)

3.) As mentioned before it's a cultural thing and not an HNZ thing (since the site is focused around New Zealand, I'm sure everyone is pretty much in agreement that we try to follow New Zealand's customs with a little magical twist.)

My personal opinion is number 1

Some culture's like mine, only allow up to 4 wives. But I think, it is not impossible that some wizards/witches have multiple marriages since it's like a common thing now. And it's supposed to be like year 2024, so maybe yeah.

I wouldn't exactly call it common.

I'd say it can happen, but it would be extremely rare. I mean, I don't think you'd really see it in Australia/New Zealand. Bigamy's illegal here, and I'm pretty sure it's illegal in New Zealand too. I'm not sure if wizards have to go by muggle law but yeah.

Hi there guys. :D

Thanks for your question. In answer to it, the wizarding world doesn't have to submit to the laws of the muggle world.
Nowhere in the books or movies does it indicate there has been any type of polygamy, so it would be safe to assume it is not canon in the European wizarding world.

This would be something that would have to be submitted through a plot application and would be considered by region.

Hope this helped!

~Liv

Topic Closed and Archived

Your question/issue has either been resolved or is unanswerable.
If you have any more questions or concerns feel free to open another topic in the FAQ forum, we're always pleased to answer your questions.

Thank you,

~The HNZ Site Staff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back