Morning Without Pain

Gregory White

Gregory awoke crumpled up in a pile of cushions and blankets on the bed, curled around Adrianna. Had she fallen asleep next to him? She looked quite lovely whilst sleeping. His fingers cracked as he moved, but it wasn't half as painful was when the Skele-Grow knitted his flesh together that was eaten away by frostbite. They were clean and smooth again, if a little pink. "Phew," he said softly, sinking back onto the covers next to her.

He hadn't met anyone else so fascinating in his entire life. It was obvious that Adrianna had suffered many hardships in her life, but seemed to calm at his touch and seem so tender around him. Was it Greg's influence? Had he coaxed it out of her with a gentle spirit? Oh had this side always been dormant, waiting for someone who cared deeply enough to bring it forth. Either way, he was glad that he had fallen outside of this house, if anywhere.

He was still quite exhausted, but felt as well rested as he had ever been in these past two weeks. After sleeping in the cold those nights, the heat of their bodies was almost unbearable, and he relished in it. Greg had forgotten that he was wearing nothing, and so slept on outside of the covers undisturbed.

One by one Adrianna's senses slowly came back from slumber. She could feel the warmth of Greg's near to hers, his scent lingering in the air around them. She kept her eyes closed, listening to the sound of his breathing. He sounded calm. She finally opened one eye, a very cat like mannerism. She looked up at him, not noticing that he wasn't wearing anything.

She rose up and propped herself on her elbow. She was surprised that she had fallen asleep with her bathing suit on. The hot herb water had made her so sleepy last night. She looked to his fingers happy to see he had them once more. She smiled and in a soft voice said, "Good morning."

A voice floated through Greg's mind, re-awakening him from his doze. Despite being uncovered, he was still quite warm, and he wriggled closer to the source of the warmth. Immediately he touched flesh and was startled completely awake.

"Good morning"
"Oh!"
exclaimed Greg, turning a soft shade and pink and diving under the covers. "Excuse me, Adrianna!"

She still looked just as lovely as the day before, confirming that this wasn't a dream and that he wasn't dead. He recalled pain, and warmth, then pain again of a different kind. He remembered snippets of conversation, and Adrianna crying on his shoulder. As soon as he remembered that moment, the rest came flooding back in a wave. Greg blinked a few times and sat up, sheets bundled around his waste.

"Oh look, 'ye slept in your swimsuit." said Greg sympathetically. "That must be my fault, I'm sorry. How terribly uncomfortable for 'ye. Here, let me get 'ye that bath robe..." he said, wriggling over to the edge of the bed, dragging the sheets with him.

Adrianna laughed and stopped him with her hand. "Thats quiet alright. Its fine." She slid of the bed, her body having to go over him as she did so, and flicked her wrist. A bathrobe came flying to her and circled around her. As it covered her she hastily took off her bathing suit. Then she tied the robe around her and smiled. "See, I'm good now."

She walked to the door. Then turned smiling at him, he looked so good as the morning sun came through the window and glinted off his curly locks. Unconsously she licked her lips. Realizing that she had done it she quickly thought of something to say. "I was thinking about making breakfeast. We do have a cheif but he is of today. Do you want to help me?"

"Sure," answered Greg, smiling at her. "But- 'ye wouldn't happen to have any other clothes than that coat, would 'ye?" he ventured hesitantly. It was a strange thing that he had spent yesterday generally clothes-less when he hardly knew her, and now that he did know her he needed to find something to wear.

It was still chilly in the morning, though during the spring it would warm up during the day. Greg stared out the window as the sunlight filtered through, bathing the plants outside in yellow light. It was a beautiful sight, and he could not keep his green eyes away. Think, lad. Pay attention to Adrianna.

"Sorry, I-er, got distracted. Oh, I didn't mean to drag the covers off 'ye" he said, embarrassed.

She smiled sweetly at him, lovely how he look out the window, with an almost wonderous expression. She flicked her wrist again and clothes dangles in front of him. A pair of clean pants and a red shirt. "I hope you don't mind, They belong to my little 'brother' Darian, but they should still fit you. He is big for his age."

She walked into the hallway and turned to glance at him again. Feeling th need to stretch she put her arms in the arm, pulling her back into place with a few small pops. As she did so the gap in her robe widened, exposing a great deal of cleavage. She turned to him, not noticing her robe. and spoke in a proper voice. "I'll leave you to get changed. The kitchen in down the hallway to your right. I'll be waiting for you there." She smiled again at him and walked away gracefully.

Greg caught the clothing deftly with both hands, pleased that there was no pain still. He could tell that they were at least a size too big, but beggars couldn't be choosers. He was pleased with the dark denim, and the red cloth was soft on his skin. It was much better than what he had been wearing for the past week. In their prime though dark dress pants and black silk top were his favourite outfit. Now they would have to be binned.

He smiled gratefully at Adrianna with a 'thank you', and was just about to pull on the shirt when he watched her stretch. As soon as the part in her robes opened, he blushed and looked away respectfully. Even so, the image of her was imprinted into his mind, and he closed his eyes, trying to forget.
She's beautiful... he thought with a touch of awe. Greg gave her a tiny nod when she spoke, but couldn't help turning to look as she walked away. He tilted his head to one side as he watched her hips swaying as she walked, and he was forced to close his eyes again. That was impolite of you. Cursing to himself, he changed quickly and joined her in the kitchen.

She looked up from the ice box trying to pick out what meat to eat. He looked amazing, her breath caught in her throat. His eyes stood out most, she felt like she could drowned in them. She smile coyly, closing the ice box, and walked over to him. She grabbed his hand and tested his fingers. Then, without realizing what she was doing she brought them to her lips, brushing the new skin against her sensitive rose colored lips. She smiled and spoke, his fingers still held there. "Its good to see that you've healed so well."

Her body was completely awakened. It tingled with the realization of how much she actually wanted this man. She looked up into his eyes, and stepped closer. Not for the fact she wanted him to be hers, but merely because she liked to feel him against her, to feel his warmth, and to be close enough to protect him if the need arose. "So," her voice was low and a little bit husky, underlying her need, "What shall we eat?"

Gregory almost jumped when she took his hand. He had first thought that she was only going to check if they had healed, but she brought it to her lips. Once again, he was mesmerised. His soft fingertips traced the contours as though he had no control over what he was doing, and he felt them tingle with her voice as she spoke. Did she have any idea what she was doing to him?

Adrianna stepped forward and he did not speak, nor did he step back himself. Instead his hand moved and slipped into her hair, lifting her head to him slightly as he ran his fingers through her hair. Greg, what are you doing? moaned his subconscious. Don't fall for it this time, don't! It was no use. Her question was forgotten and his face drew closer. His head was bowed and pressed against her cheek till his lips were at her jaw, hair falling onto her neck. Too far... Greg closed his eyes.

Adrianna was surprised when he came forward, his skin touching her, yet setting her on fire. She closed her eyes, letting the feeling wash over. His hand running through her hair made goosebumps erupt everywhere on her skin. Her lips parted, a small sigh escaping them. She pressed up closer, her arms moving up his to rest on his shoulders.

From her throat raised almost purr, She lifted up on her toes slightly to push up against him, with her nose she nuzzled his ear. All the while her snow leopard was pacing, unsure of what to do, her 'tail' flicked back and forth, remembering the recent heartbreak with Ioan. She whimpered to the human side, at a loss. Adrianna ran her hands back down his arms, then pulled them back around her, her earlier question forgotten.

He could not talk, he could not think anymore. The nagging voice in his mind was hushed until gone, and all he could feel was her.

Then all at once came a terrible pain in his mid-section. It was unlike true physical pain, but a heartache of a dreadful kind. Greg knew that the pain wasn't his. Someone close to him was in need, and all at once the voices of doubt sprung to life again. Do you see? Do you see now what Adrianna could do to you? it spat out at him. Greg shook his head hard. "No, that's not her..." Then who is it? said another voice of worry. Then, another voice spoke up. What are you doing? Don't let this pass you by. There was the choice, the imaginary pain or the very real pleasure.

Greg chose. He leaned in and pressed his lips upon hers with more passion and less gentleness than he had ever acted with before. He felt as though the wind had been sucked out of him the moment he did, and the rush was incredible. Forget your troubles. Kiss her, and tell her that you...that you?

Adrianna's eyes flung open with surprise at his kiss, at first it alarmed her, but she let her eyelids flicker back down, matching his need with her own. Soon the passion of all of her was connected, snow leopard and human. She moaned softly as she kissed him with all of the passion, her long arms wrapping around him drawing him closer.

She played with one of his curls as they kissed, vaguely wondering what is curls would look like afterward. She felt hr body heat up, her skin flush with hot blood. She purred again, the vibration just barely making it to her lips. Everything was spinning, she was enveloped in his scent. 'This is what I want, I'm not afraid anymore, please, help me escape.' Her thoughts where loud inside her head, even as his kiss washed her free of her past.

Greg breathed out heavily as they parted for a moment to catch their breath. They were close enough so that their noses touched, lips pink from the heated kisses that had stripped his mind of reason. Just as Adrianna felt the need to protect his body, he felt his own need to protect her heart. ‘From what?’ you could ask, and it was something that he asked himself. If anything, she’d need protecting from him. For it was the growing passion for her that prevented his need to leave the area and find his way to Hogwarts where he knew his sister would be.

Artemis wasn’t safe. Artemis wasn’t happy. He knew this just as strongly as he knew that he had fallen for Adrianna completely. The ache in his bones drew him away from this place. But he couldn’t leave! To leave Adrianna now would be like abandonment, and there was nothing else Greg could say to make it sound otherwise. Could he afford another night with her? Or would he just be setting himself up for failure and heartbreak. Don’t leave! said his mind. You must show her now, or you’ll regret it for the rest of your life. Choose again. So he did.

Greg slid his arms around her and drew her up till her arms were about his neck. He was carrying her, and her weight was nothing in his arms. Greg turned his face towards her again and looked her in the eyes. “Are 'ye sure?”

Her mind was still so hazy from their warmth, She blinked a couple of times, her ice blue eyes trying to regain there focus. She brushed her lips up against his, she spoke softly, still under his charm, "One can never be completely sure of anything." She kissed him again a soft peck, then pulled back as her instinct hit her, like a small ping in her stomach, a warning. She had ignored it before but now that she really looked into his eyes she knew she couldn't.

She scoffed at herself, yet again they had gotten close, and yet again something happened to ruin it. She sighed, looking at him with gentle eyes. She could tell he had split interests. "You would tell me if something was wrong wouldn't you?" It came out soft, and still burned her throat. She knew something must be wrong. Still her body, her heart cursed her mind. They wanted to be with him so badly.

Gregory cursed in his head. Fool of a man! Can you not keep your feelings inside your head for once? Why do you wear your heart on your sleeve? He didn't know how to reply to her. When she asked if he would tell her if something was wrong, the answer was no. He realised then that he hadn't even told her the true story of his misfortune. Or any story, for that matter. What sort of base for a relationship did they have he she didn't even know what his favourite colour was? He looked away, unable to meet her eyes anymore.

You fool, said his mind again. Look what you've done.

But yet if he told her one thing that was bothering him, he would be forced to share another, and another. Soon the entire story would be out, and their moment would be ruined. At the same time, not telling her would be blatantly lying, and Greg was a terrible liar. It would be written all over his face! Learn to control yourself! barked his mind at him.

"I'm sorry, I'm-" Logical. Think logical! "Still in a bit of pain. I haven't eaten for some time." Perfect! It was both true and plausible. It was true that you could see his ribs within his slim torso. Now that he noticed it, he realised that he was desperately hungry. Perhaps I should have thought of this earlier.

Adrianna could tell he was not telling her the full truth. Like last night, she was giving him the benefit of the doubt, and hoping it wouldn't lead to her ruin. She sighed, sliding her arms down and stepping away, she kept her eyes down, hoping he wouldn't see the tears that had started to form. She knew that if he couldn't tell her the truth that she would eventually have to stop giving him leway.

She walked over to the ice box, randomly sifting though its contents. She pulled out some of her favorites, some bacon, venison, a few steaks, and of course a few chicken breasts. Being in her snow leopard form she could eat her way through anything, but she learned she had to take it easy when she was human. This, was taking it easy.

She gave him a weak smile. "Well I've picked out what I'll be eating, what do you want?"

Suddenly Greg lost his appetite. This didn’t seem like a time for eating, no matter how hungry he was. The dawn of realisation came upon him and he dropped his head again, unable to look up. How had he come to think that his circumstances were any different? Despite his feelings for Adrianna, the fact remained that he had to move on until he reached Hogwarts. Any hunger pains he felt were swamped by the foreboding of a girl in pain, his sister, far away at school. Leaving Adrianna would hurt too. How could he make this more agreeable to the both of them? Should he risk explaining his circumstances? It seemed like the only way that Greg would be able to make himself understood and, in turn, his moving on from the area.

Greg moved towards the table and sat heavily, weighed down by thought. He’d seen the hurt in her eyes. ‘Why has he brushed me away again?’ they said to him. ‘Do you not trust me?’. But that wasn’t the issue at hand.

“Perhaps I should make us some tea before we do anything else,” said Greg quietly, standing again. “I think I would like to offer 'ye an explanation.” God willing that this didn’t put her in any danger.

Adrianna gave him a look of surprise, and of hope. She grabbed her kettle and put it on to boil, sprinkling in some Echinacea for strength, lotus for knowledge, and rosehips for love. It created a sweet black tea with a bitter after taste. She hoped this combination would help him tell her what was need.

She stood in silence whilst the tea boiled and then, like ceremony, poured on cup and left it by her statue of Artemis. Then she poored tea for her and Greg. As she sat she took a small sip, staring at him from over the rim of her cup. She cleared her throat before speaking. "So what is going on Greg?"

He frowned over his own cup, still wondering what exactly to tell her. It wasn’t a matter of what to tell her so much as what to omit. In the end, he could only shrug. Honesty is the best policy. Let us just start with the basics.

“My full name is Gregory Luther Yearling,” he began, although she already knew that. It was easier for him to begin this way. “I come from Yorkshire in England, and I’ve only recently come to New Zealand only two weeks ago, which explains why I’m lost.” he smiled ruefully.
“In England I worked as a file clerk for a parchment store. Nothing too interesting, just a day job. I lived with my father and my sister, whilst the rest of my family lived...live, in New Zealand. At some point last year I met a man in passing named Audel. He came from a wealthy family, and was quite haughty at first, but we soon became fast friends,” explained Greg. He wanted more to summarize these events instead of going into detail about them.
“After about three months of the usual companionable chatting etc, I took him to meet my father. We didn’t live near each other, so it had to be arranged. This is where you could say that my troubles began. My father recognised Audel Ater instantly. It turns out that his family are a group of well-known death eaters. Needless to say, I was abandoned instantly. Father believes that I am in league with those sort.” he said, and it was clear that the memory caused him great pain. “He gave me this-“ he said, pointing to a dark shadow underneath his jaw. It was a bruise and it was fading, hidden under the line of his jaw, but it was monstrous in size. The wound reached up to his ear and the colour was almost unnoticeable now, but in the morning light it was more obvious.
“Either way, I found myself homeless and therefore without a job. So I moved to New Zealand, hoping to contact my family and stay. Then I remembered that mother hates me for staying with father during the split. I’m not welcome there.” he said with an edge to his voice. “Worse yet, I was contacted by Audel only a week after coming here. During our meeting, we were interrupted by Audel’s father whilst making plans for Audel to forsake the title of Death Eater.” Greg paused. “Needless to say, we were both tortured there and then. His father commanded him to attack me and he refused, so his wrath was focused on us both.”

He had to pause to take a sip of tea. The story was wearing him down visibly and he seemed to a shrink a little more with each sentence.

“I lost my wand then and we fled, parting somewhere in Obsidian. Since then I have been wondering the area looking for shelter. It was winter then, and bitterly cold.” There was a difficult part to explain next, but he would come to that later. In the meantime, he looked up from his drink to Adrianna, trying to gauge her reaction.

Adrianna nodded, her eyes shadowed as she remembered the countless death eaters she had lain with. She cleared throat and reached across the table to hold his hand. Hoping the small gesture would give him strangth to go on. Her face held little emotion save for worry for his well being. Her heart held no judgement, for the fact that she had done much worse things.

She was sad to hear that his family had left him. She had known that feeling once before and had been lucky enough to find a new one. She hoped maybe she could somehow give him the same. Some how she knew there was more and gave him a small smile. She squeezed his hand gently, urging him to go on.

Speaking all that time was nothing compared to what he had to say now. Her hand on his did nothing for his strength. If anything, it made him feel more terrible than ever that he had to say this. Please don’t be so lovely, said his mind, aching. It makes saying this harder than ever.

“I have to move on,” said Greg quietly, feeling the bottom fall out of his stomach. “My sister is in trouble, and she needs me at Hogwarts.” Please, don't let her ask how I know this. I can’t answer! It doesn’t even make sense to me. “Please understand that I cannot abandon my sister like this. I feel every moment I spend here is putting her in a worse situation without me.” I want to stay! roared his mind at him. I cannot leave either of them like this!

Greg let go of his cup as he felt Adrianna’s hand fall off his. How can I make her understand? How?

Adrianna looked down, the snow leopard inside of her was going crazy. Hurt. Angry. The human side, her outside, stayed serine. She swallowed hard, despite her best efforts a tear slid down her cheek. Inside the beast roared. 'I TRUSTED YOU! I OPENED UP TO YOU. HAD I KNOWN YOU WHERE JUST GOING TO THROW IT IN MY FACE I SHOULD HAVE LEFT YOU TO DIE' She swallowed again, trying to gain peace. Taking another sip her human side contradicted the beast. 'I would have anyway. There is just something about him. Be glad for this time. Cherish it.'

She took a small sip of her tea, knowing she had to let him go. Trying to tell herself that maybe he would come back. She sighed and looked up, her eyes strong with resolution. "I'll take you to hogwarts, but you need to eat something. You will need your strength I'm sure." Her voice caught at the last word and she looked away.

"Ye'll take me to Hogwarts?"

Gregory was stunned. He was just about to ask her to come with him before she made this suggestion, and now he was ecstatic. This was just what he had been hoping for! The joy faded instantly as he watched the tear creep down her cheek.

Oh no.

What on earth had he done? Why had he been so callous? Now she believed that he was going to disappear, to simply touch her heart and run. You FOOL. roared his mind and he winced. Don't cry, please! his heart begged her. Then logic stepped in. It threw all of his pain and desperation in his face, pulled him of the tracks and reversed. What is said is said. Now you must correct it.

"Adrianna,"
he began. His voice was unbearably hesitant. How could he say this? "If 'ye take me to Hogwarts...and I find my sister again..." say it, fool. "Will 'ye permit me to return with 'ye?" I don't want to leave you. Please let me stay.

Still looking away she smiled softly when she heard how happy his voice sounded. She loved hearing happiness in his voice. Still her heart felt like it was going to shatter. Till her spoke again, his voice reaprouchful, asking his he could come back with her. She looked at him with wide eyes for a moment. Lost as to what to say. Then she smiled big. "I'd love that." She meant every word of it.

She looked around a the meat, her stomach growling again. She stood up, ignoring it and walked over to Greg. With how short she was, while she was standing, he came up to her neck while sitting. She wrapped her arms around him, another tear, one of happiness, sliding down her cheeks. Her kiss was gentle and accepting. She pulled away, her voice sweet. "We both will leave as soon as we eat something. Trust me, our bodies could use it, I'm sure yours can."

"I think so, too," replied Greg softly. This time though, he would not let go of her just yet. He rose to his feet with his arms still cradling her softly and kissed the tear away. "Please, don't cry like that again." he said. "I don't think I could bear it a second time."

"Now!"said Greg, his voice merry with happiness. "What shall I cook for you?". Never in his life had he been so pleased to know how to cook. In his current state, he would eat anything, but the occasion was more reverent than that. In his excitement, he picked Adrianna up and whirled her around lightly, setting her on her feet before she could protest. It was a rare moment to see how animated her was. On any other day he was happy but still shy and gentle. Today he was bursting with excitement and began bundling up the empty cups and taking them to the sink. Even though he had no wand, Greg felt more comfortable working without magic despite how ill he still felt.

"I think I'll make up a fruit salad if you have any?" he both stated and inquired.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back