Look! A Tutorial! ♥

Izaak Finch

So by request *coughalexiscough* I made a tutorial for you all to see and hopefully have a shot at ^_^ I've never done one before so if there's anything wrong with it or you can't understand anything, don't be afraid to speak up :D
I use Gimp, which I imagine is similar enough to Photoshop that you can translate this tut but if not you can always download Gimp free off the internet :r

Anyway, I wanted to start with an easy-ish one, so this is the image we will be making ^_^
abd.png

[ul]
[li]First create your blended image. Have a go at playing around with the images, varying their size and positions instead of the standard. Sharpening and upping the contrast on your images also adds to the final result (Filters>Enhance>Sharpen) [sub]set to 10 or 12[/sub]
Note: This banner works best with plain white or light coloured backdrops, so try choosing a shoot like that for your subject. Most celebrities should have them in their galleries, so it shouldn't be too hard to find.
TIP-- When you initially create your blend try layering the images with different modes, such as darken. It's what I do because I get so frustrated with the clipping/erasing tool XD </LI>
[li]Next step is to colour the blend.
(Colours>Components>Channel mixer)
Red
R: 87.4
G: 7.4
B: -13.3
Green and blue channels unaltered. Preserve Luminosity unchecked
Press okay and exit and then enter back into the channel mixer (you may have to press Reset) to enter these values:
Red
R: 108
G: 10.4
B: -31.3
Green
R: -1.5
G: 99.3
B: -1.5
Blue
R: 4.4
G: -43
B: 78.5
Preserve Luminosity checked
Note: This colouring covers a broad range of images, but if it doesn't suit simply fiddle with the values a bit.
[li]Create a new layer (Layer>New layer). In the layers box (Ctrl+L if it is not there) Set the mode to Grain Merge and the opacity to 37.6
[li]Copy this image into the layer (scale it down if you want to get all the colours) and once you are happy, anchor it (Ctrl+H)
[li]Create a new layer, but set this one to Darken Only. 100% opacity.
[li]Copy this image into the layer. Then (Colours>Invert). Scale the image if need be and erase any obstructing marks from the subject's face, then anchor.
[li]Create a new layer, Lighten Only, and copy this image into it. Flip the image so that the flat half of the circle is on top and position it so the light reaches one-third to halfway up the blend. Scale if needed and anchor.
[li]New layer, Darken Only 100%. (We're getting there, I promise! ^_^ )Place this image down the bottom (as this is where your text will ideally go and, yes, you guessed it, scale & anchor.
[li]New layer (last one!), Lighten Only, 100% with this image and you should know the drill by now.
<LI>[li]Add your text, save as <titlehere>.PNG and voila! ^_^
[/li][/ul]

Phew, and that was one of the simple ones =))
DON'T FORGET you don't have to follow my exact instructions, play around with the opacities and the modes, as well as brightness levels, saturation and all that. Don't be afraid to experiment because the undo button is always handy and I've found with GIMP that it's a good idea to constantly save your work (that's what you get for free programs xD )

I'd love to see what you can all come up with ^_^ So if you make something, post it here!

Enjoy, Em :)
Also, if you want a tutorial for any of my other banners just ask and I'll post one up ^_^

this really helped me out, thank-you ^_^

you should totally post more :D

Hey Emmah. I'm having slight issues with blending at the moment. I'm trying to get the first image on the layer to be shown through so I used the eraser thing but it isn't working.</FONT>
screencp.jpg
<FONT font="Georgia">Also, I'm sure once I get my blending done I'll understand your tut more ( :p ) because it looks very nice :)

Ooh, I forgot to mention that when you make your blend you should put the images in separate layers and then erase, layer, etc. Also once you're happy with your blend you can either save it as a .png (for best quality) or you right click the top image in the layers toolbar and hit merge visible which is what I usually do.

I'd say that's what the problem is ^_^

I love the tutorial, it's really helpful, I made Lily's banner with help from the tutorial.

I was just wondering though, for all the images you use as layers, do you make them yourself or google them?

Thanks

Thanks for the link.

And thanks for tutorial. It's really awesome you took the time to do it!

vhudge.png

I changed things up a bit because going exactly like it wouldn't have looked good. But all in all I am very pleased.

gween.png

here is what i got :D I wasn't sure how you get the [hotos to go next to each other with out covering, my lack of looking down the page farther really. And i opened a seperate gimp took one of the photos and cropped it to get rid of outside lines then copied to it the actual one i was making teh banner on and pasted it as brush and used the pencil to put the tiny photos on, it really works well especially with the undo buttom ;)

I'm glad someone was looking on this so i saw it cause I've been experimenting with gimp and it has been making me really angry with it, cause i couldn't figure it out lol..

Thanks a bunch :)

Just tried this, not too sure what I think of it yet! I'm keen to keep practicing and stuff.
Thanks for this tut, was fun!

Elliot.png

This tutorial was awesome :wub: I have only just got GIMP and have been trying out certain tutorials.... but this one was the best so far.... and im not just saying that :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back