OOC First Name
Faye
Blood Status
Half Blood
Relationship Status
Too Young to Care
Wand
Curly 13 Inch Unyielding Alder Wand with Augurey Tail Feather Core
Hi, so I just thought about the longest word Finnish has the other day and figured there's a lot of people on this site who probably speak many different languages. So I figured it could be a fun little game and learning experience if everyone posted the longest words you know, in your native tongue or just any language you speak or are learning.

To keep in mind:
- Please attach an English translation or description for the word.
- All board rules still apply to this thread too <3

My Finnish word is
lentokonesuihkuturbiinimoottoriapumekaanikkoaliupseerioppilas which in English translates to Aeroplane jet turbine motor assistant mechanic, non-commissioned officer, in training.

(I cry everytime I'm asked to say it out loud.)

Enjoy the words!

Oooh I got a good one!!

ab0beb580a32b00d8412a61b046c5eeb946b4e4c.jpg

Taumata Hill's full name is reportedly the longest placename in the world, at 85 characters.

"Taumata whakatangi hangakoauau o tamatea turi pukakapiki maunga horo nuku pokai whenua kitanatahu", which translates into English as "the place where Tamatea, the man with the big knees, who slid, climbed and swallowed mountains, known as 'landeater’, played his flute to his loved one."
(source)

I had a look but I couldn't find any good pronunciation guides online to link, but I could give it a go myself :V I'd be curious to hear how lentokonesuihkuturbiinimoottoriapumekaanikkoaliupseerioppilas is pronounced!

Oooh I got a good one!!

ab0beb580a32b00d8412a61b046c5eeb946b4e4c.jpg

Taumata Hill's full name is reportedly the longest placename in the world, at 85 characters.

I had a look but I couldn't find any good pronunciation guides online to link, but I could give it a go myself :V I'd be curious to hear how lentokonesuihkuturbiinimoottoriapumekaanikkoaliupseerioppilas is pronounced!
Oh my god! I remember this we actually had that in our English text book in like 8-9th grade?? Everyone just stared at it. :cry:

I could send the pronunciation of it, if I can figure out where to create an audio for it LMAO. I'd definitely be interested to hear how one says Taumata whakatangi hangakoauau o tamatea turi pukakapiki maunga horo nuku pokai whenua kitanatahu, because I have a feeling I am BUTCHERING it.

I could send the pronunciation of it, if I can figure out where to create an audio for it LMAO. I'd definitely be interested to hear how one says Taumata whakatangi hangakoauau o tamatea turi pukakapiki maunga horo nuku pokai whenua kitanatahu, because I have a feeling I am BUTCHERING it.

I just recorded a voice note on my phone & put it on google drive lmao

Here's my attempt at Taumata Hill's full name, my te reo Māori is almost entirely self-taught so my vowels might be a bit off but broadly speaking this is how it's said! The thing in te reo Māori that trips people up the most is that the digraph "wh" is actually pronounced like the english letter "f", so it's not going to sound the way it reads if you're not familiar with the language.

I just recorded a voice note on my phone & put it on google drive lmao

Here's my attempt at Taumata Hill's full name, my te reo Māori is almost entirely self-taught so my vowels might be a bit off but broadly speaking this is how it's said! The thing in te reo Māori that trips people up the most is that the digraph "wh" is actually pronounced like the english letter "f", so it's not going to sound the way it reads if you're not familiar with the language.
Omg! Haha that is DEFINITELY not what I would have said! But that sounds interesting!

Here's how you would say my word. :zombie: Now say it 3 times as fast as you can....

Here's how you would say my word. :zombie: Now say it 3 times as fast as you can....
Ooop I think your sharing settings are wrong, under share you need to set it so anyone with the link can view (i know bc i almost did the same thing the other day lmao)

Ooop I think your sharing settings are wrong, under share you need to set it so anyone with the link can view (i know bc i almost did the same thing the other day lmao)
Oop, yes I may be young but I am not always the most tech savvy person out there :cry: I think I fixed it now?

Oop, yes I may be young but I am not always the most tech savvy person out there :cry: I think I fixed it now?
Yess it works now! Aaaaah Finnish is such a pretty language :wub: Don't know how well I would fare trying though lmao

Users who are viewing this thread

Back