Like Father, Like Daughter

Emery Winters

OOC First Name
Camilla!
Newspaper spread across the table, Emery Winters sipped on a hot cup of tea, his eyes closed, as he reposed in his chair, one leg crossed over the other, on a Saturday morning. Christmas had just been and gone, and now his beloved Antoinette, his daughter was here to stay with him. It felt so much like relief to actually be able to call her that, to not lie every time he referred to his 'granddaughter'. For years, seventeen years, he'd been yearning to have this perfect, beautiful girl as his own daughter. Which was disrespectful to his late wife, he'd hated the fact that he'd done something as disgusting as have a one-night stand with someone else. He hadn't intended to. He'd loved her more than anything. He still loved her more than anything. Even though she'd been dead for years. He'd still love her until the day he died and longer. But that one night, that Veela woman, Evangelina. She'd hypnotised him, caused him to do something he truly regretted.
But the thing he didn't regret was the beautiful daughter that came from it.
And now that everything was out in the open, Emery knew it was time to mould the girl in to the perfect daughter. He wanted her to follow his footsteps and become the Minister of Magic, too. But it would take some training. He knew that she was right for the role. She just had to be willing to follow his orders.

Regally, with her head held high, Antoinette descended the stairs to the kitchen and dining room, seeing her father sitting at the table with his newspaper spread over the place. That was hard to get used to. Not that he was there with the newspaper, oh, that was perfectly normal. But that the man there was her father, not the goofy lawyer, Patrick Greenwood. Keeping a haughty expression on her face - she could not betray any confusion, no emotion - after all, she had to behave like a princess, right? And maybe her behaviour wasn't exactly fitting of a princess, but at least she could act. Acting was very important for Antoinette Greenwood. She had to put a different face for every person that she met. It was tiresome, but she had to do it.
"Good morning, father," she said, coolly. "What is planned for today?"

Hearing the sound of his daughter's voice, Emery did not react instantly. Instead, he took one long sip of tea, before setting the cup down carefully on the table. Then, and only then, did he turn around to face his daughter, a gentle smile on his face. It was easy to tell where she got her acting skill from. Of course, not knowing her mother, Emery knew nothing about how she and Antoinette were alike. Only in looks, as far as he knew.
"Good morning, ma cherie," he replied. "I trust you slept well? Please. Have a seat. I wish to converse with you."

Antoinette fought the urge to sigh, and instead meekly, but still with her prideful nature, sat elegantly on the chair, crossing her legs just as her father did.
"I slept perfectly well, thank you," she replied, the model of politeness. Frowning, she swept a long blonde lock away from her face, and back over her shoulder. "What is it you desire to converse about?"
Icy tone, solemn gaze. She had the potential to be kind, lighthearted, friendly. But that was not the Antoinette Greenwood people now knew. She was a shameless flirt, an ice maiden, and carried herself like she was royalty. That was who she was meant to me, wasn't it?

His daughter, so polite, so formal. Had she ever been anything else? She'd been bright and cheerful at some point, surely? He had so much he regretted. How he hadn't been a father to her. How he barely knew her. And now she was seventeen, an adult. Was it too late? He hoped it wasn't.
"Antoinette, darling," he began, before pausing. What was he supposed to say? It had been so long since he'd been a father. His wife had raised Pearl and Ruby, as it was.
"I know this is probably not what you wish to hear, but I do love you and care about you. And I would like it if you would accept me as your father. I can help you, sweetheart. You can become great, I know you can. You can follow in my footsteps, if you let me help."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back