Blood Status
Mixed Blood
Relationship Status
Married
Sexual Orientation
Analei ) ( Pansexual
Wand
Knotted 12 Inch Flexible Walnut Wand with Acromantula Web Core
There were few passions Edmund did not share with his brother, so it rarely fell to him to seek time for his hobbies without his other half. The arts room for once was blessedly empty though, and Theodore was attending to something else, leaving Edmund to indulge in the only gift that was truly his own, something Theodore had never been able to follow him into. His fingers descended gently onto the piano's keys and he began to play, reminded of home and lessons with dad as he began warming up with a piece that he had learned at home, fingers dancing along the keys after his father's. It felt comfortable and safe, and Edmund was able to relax in a way he usually couldn't without his brother, letting the music carry him away.

The last few days hadn't been the greatest for Analei. It was sad for her to admit that she was looking forward to the year being over so she could go home. She didn't realize how cruel and mean people could be, or that adults weren't as strong as they seemed. All she wanted to do was go home to her parents, though she was sure her mother wouldn't be all that comforting.
Taking a break from studying for once, Analei found herself wandering around outside. Her mind was running so much that she couldn't focus, which was a surprise for her. Usually studying was her break from the world, she enjoyed it so thoroughly, but supposed everyone needed to try new things every now and then. Letting her mind wander, Analei walked down and out of the Castle, she had spent a bit of time in the Courtyard before, but heard sounds that she had never heard before there. Analei didn't know that Hogwarts even had a piano, and wondered briefly if it was a radio, but as she entered the Arts Room, she saw someone sitting and playing the piano. She leaned against a table, her arms behind her, holding her up. "That's really beautiful."

Music truly captivated Edmund's senses like nothing else, stealing him away from the world around him, his focus only on the music and the melody as his practiced fingers danced across the keys. His task held his entire attention, until the voice of an observer broke through his reverie. The tune faltering for a moment from his shock, Edmund looked over to see a girl he didn't recognise. Whether this encounter would be interesting or not, time would tell, but Edmund continued to play, not looking at her again as he spoke. "It's by Chopin. This was played at his own funeral." He commented, as his fingers fluttered across the piano.

The boy only looked over for a second before returning to his music. Analei couldn't blame him, it really was nice. Classical music was a favorite for Analei, if only because she often listened to it at home while reading, or studying. And while music wasn't something she studied, she did know how people were with their music. Analei had no idea who the person was that the boy mentioned, but the fact that it was played at his own funeral made sense. It was very sombre. "Well." Analei started, not really wanting to interrupt the boy. "I can see why." The young Hufflepuff didn't say anything after that. She knew how much she hated it when someone broke her concentration while she was studying, so instead Analei just stayed, and enjoyed the music. She usually listened to lighter music herself, but she also didn't want to request a song, like he was a dancing monkey.

Edmund didn't bother to give the girl another glance, but she didn't leave, or seem disinterested or uncomfortable. Keeping his focus on the music he was playing, he spoke again. "Did you come here for something, or were you simply interested in watching me play?" Although it was hard to avoid his default derision, Edmund tried to keep his tone genuinely questioning, wondering what exactly the girl was doing here. If she had come to use the piano they were going to have problems.

The boy's voice broke through the music he was playing, and Analei felt a slight blush come onto her cheeks. She didn't mean to be intrusive. "No, I just - sorry, I just heard you playing. I just, like listening - but I can go?" Analei mentioned, standing up straight. She didn't particularly want to leave, she could listen to it all day, so the Hufflepuff hoped the boy would make some sort of comment about not minding if she stayed. Analei half wished that she had bought a book down with her, so that she could read at the same time; what absolute bliss that would be.

Edmund was surprised that the girl seemed so skittish, he was being rather more welcoming than was his usual, and even so she was already considering leaving. He contemplated scaring her off, but there was something satisfying about having someone watch him play and be impressed. At home he was nothing special - better than Theodore, by far, but simply a child doing his best by comparison to his father. Edmund could almost see the appeal people found in performing on stage. Finishing his song and starting another, Edmund glanced at her again. "Do you play any instruments?" He asked, leaving it up to the girl whether she felt she was welcome or not.

Instead of kicking her out, the boy started a new song, and Analei couldn't help but smile as she felt the tingles on her skin from the beautiful music. She quickly hid her smile however, when the boy turned and spoke to her. She didn't want him to think she was weird. Analei shook her head as he asked if she played any instruments. "No, unfortunately. It would be so awesome to learn something...but, I just haven't." Analei stated, with a shrug of her shoulders. She was amazed by people who could play, the way their fingers just moved and did exactly what their bodies told them to do. "How long have you been playing for?"

Edmund was unsurprised to hear that the girl listening didn't play any instruments herself. If she had been a fellow musician she may have asked to join in, simply sitting in appreciation seemed more the purview of non musicians. "Well, if you did learn, what would you like to play?" He asked, fingers dancing lightly over the keys as he spoke. Edmund was surprised when the girl asked how long he had been playing. He usually only played for his family, who knew his entire history with the instrument. "Since infancy." He said simply, wondering if he could even remember a time when he didn't play. "My father is a piano instructor, he has been teaching me for my entire life."

Analei didn't have to think much about his question. "Piano." She answered. Not only did she love the way it sounded, but to have that much control was something only dreamed about. To say she was jealous of musicians was an understatement. The fact that the boy was even able to talk while he played was amazing to her; she'd love to be able to play like him. But at his comment of being able to play since infancy, her heart dropped slightly; all good musicians seemed to have started from a young age, and she wondered if it were too late for her. Analei moved closer to the boy, still watching his hands work before flicking back up to his face. "You are very lucky. My dad just taught me how to take care of elephants." Analei replied, a small smile on her face.

Edmund was a little surprised to hear that the girl's coveted instrument was the one he was currently playing. Piano was nice, Edmund enjoyed it, but he got the impression that other people viewed it as mundane or old fashioned. Guitars and the like were certainly more popular, Edmund was sure, though the old fashioned nature of piano was part of what drew him to it. Privately he hoped some day to be in a position to play a harpsichord, or even organ. Those were dreams for another day though. The girl was beginnning to tire Edmund, and he began pondering something to say to scare her. Some horror story about finding something gruesome inside a grand piano, once, when he was distracted from his thoughts by her comment, fingers stuttering on the keys for a moment. "How to take care of elephants?!" That was something Edmund had never heard before. Hopefully this would be a story to tell Theodore, about the entertainment merits of tolerating other people.

Analei chuckled at Edmund's response. In South Africa it wasn't completely uncommon for someone to work with the wildlife, but she supposed that not everyone did have the opportunity to work at the Elephant Sanctuary. "My dad's best friend owned a Sanctuary for Elephants. There were other animals there too, but that's what they were known for. So my dad worked there, and I got to go there a lot. It was cool! They were able to just roam wherever, but they usually stayed away from the camping grounds - though one time, one got separated from it's herd and ended up almost trampling on the tents. It was really scary, but also like, amazing*" Analei replied, hoping the boy didn't mind too much that she had dived into the story. "I'm Analei, by the way."

*Based on a true story fam

((omfg that's amazing))

Of all the conversations Edmund had experienced with the rabble at Hogwarts, he sincerely didn't believe that anyone had managed to tell him a story that genuinely surprised him. Until now, that was. An elephant sanctuary was... quite the story. "I see." He said slowly, trying to conceal how fascinated he was. "Did any people get trampled in the incident?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back