Its been a while

The visible shift in Riley's mood made Cyndi sit up a little straighter, a sense of unease filling her as she realized that she'd asked the wrong thing. Listening to him speak, the young professor frowned. Dying? she wondered to herself, thinking about whether he actually meant dying dying or if it was some sort of metaphor or something. She opened her mouth to say something, only to close it again when Riley said that he didn't want to talk about it now.

She gave him a look that indicated that she'd talk about it more later as she took a bite of the steak they'd prepared for her. It was perfect. Medium-rare just the way she liked it. "This is great...you should try a piece." She held her fork up to him with a piece of the steak on it.

((sorry it's so blah))

Some time later

Riley smiled as he finished his food. He had enjoyed every last bit of it and hoped that Cyndi had too. He waved the waiter up so that he could ask for the bill. Looking back to Cyndi he sighed slightly. " How was the dinner?" He asked her hoping she liked it. He was dreading the moment that she would ask about his family again, he didnt really like to talk about them as there was so much bad about them. Alexia being the only living relative that wasnt evil and heartless Riley would have to make sure to keep a close eye on her.

Standing up when the waiter came back again with the bill Riley took some money and handed it to him with a tip. The food was good and deserved a tip. He held out his hand for Cyndi to take so he could help her up. " Shall we?" He said to her with a grin on his face

As Cyndi finished off her last bite, she sat back contentedly. Riley had been absolutely right about the food at the place being great. "You were right about this place. It was great" she said with a smile as he asked her how she'd liked everything. She watched as the waiter quickly arrived and took the money for their bill and smiled up at Riley as he held out his hand.

"Yes. Let's" she said as she slipped her hand in his and stood up. Holding hands was different though not all that odd and she was happy about how easily the conversation had flowed. Except for that brief moment of tension when she'd asked about his family, they seemed to have been able to keep the conversation from becoming awkward, which was a very good thing. That's what she'd been most afraid about. As they stepped outside of the restaurant and into the walkway, Cyndi glanced up at the sky which was beginning to grow dark. It was one of her favorite times of the day, when the sun was beginning to set and the sky was a mixture of blue and purple and red. She smiled first at the beautiful colors and then at Riley. "That was...pretty nice" she admitted, marvelling at how different this day had turned out from what she'd expected.

Riley looked at the sky as he walked out. It was really beautiful out with the sky all different shades of colors. This was something he was so used to but so amazed by at the same time. Looking back to Cyndi he nodded. "Yeah it was. Told you i knew a good place. I know all the good places around." He said with a slight smile.

He began to walk along the path through the park. The path was decorated with flowers along the sides and tree's over hanging the path way. It was dark so it was even better to be around as the night air combined with the flowery smell was overwhelming. " I love it out here at night. There is never anyone around and it is so peaceful. Do you have any places like this in your school?" he asked as he made conversation again and knew it would be a good subject as one person was the school expert and the other was a good listener. Riley being the other one in this situation

Cyndi continued walking alongside Riley as they continued walking between the flowers and the trees. As the sky quickly darkened, she turned and listened to what Riley said, not breaking her stride. "Not as pretty as this" she admitted with a smile on her face. "We have a beautiful garden and we have a forest, but it is pretty creepy inside of there. Even now I don't really go inside of the forest there unless I need to." Cyndi always found it easy to speak to Riley because for a guy he was an exceptionally good listener. He didn't really talk about himself much and sometimes Cyndi felt as if she were talking too much when she was around him, but he always seemed to encourage it.

"I really love being by the lake at the school though. It's where I go when I have any free time" she stated. Now that it was dark out, Cyndi could feel a chill creeping into the air. Winter was nearly upon them in New Zealand. "Too bad it won't look this pretty in a few weeks" she stated as she looked at the flowers in the dark. The hand that wasn't in Riley's grip was cold, so she slipped it into her pocket.

Riley matched his pace to Cyndi's as he listened to her talk. A little smile creeping onto his lips. "When i was at school i never really went into the forest. I remember all the first years talking about it being haunted and all that kin of stuff that little kids do and they never went their either." He laughed as he remembered his time at school. He had loved school but he had to admit he loved being out in the world better.

He looked around as she began to talk again. He loved talking to Cyndi, she always had something to talk about, which was good because it meant conversation. " I used to love it by the lake. The water is really calming isnt it. In the winter i find it better. On a snowy day where all the scenery is white and fluffy and then you get the lake in the middle of it all." He said as his smile grew. " Ah the good old days of school. Although your technically still in school." He chuckled slightly at what he said. He could remember a time when he had wanted to be a flying professor but that had soon gone away with the wind

Cyndi glanced sideways over at Riley, surprised to hear him say that he never went into the forest when he was in school. He didn't seem like the type to be weary of entering the forest, though when he was younger he was obviously much different than he was today. She chuckled along with him. "I can't imagine you scared of a forest Ril" she said as she continued to chuckle and gave Riley a little nudge in the ribs.

As Riley told her that he had liked the lake too, Cyndi nodded in agreement with his description of the lake. He thought it was calming and that was one of her favorite things about the lake at the school. No matter how she was feeling, sitting by the lake for a little while always made her feel calmer and ready to take on anything. "Am not" she said, pretending to be offended and then realized how childish it sounded, making her sound exactly as if she still were in school. She laughed, the sound filling the air since they were the only ones outside on this path. "I teach there...it's soo not the same thing."

Riley frowned and shook his head. " I wasnt scared of the forest i just never really felt the need to go in there so i didnt. Im not scared of anything." He said in a manly tone. It was true that Riley couldnt think of anything that really scared him to the extent to which he woud avoid it. Looking over to Cyndi when she spoke again he laughed. " Yes it is. You surrounded by young teenagers all day and you are friends with a few. There for its like school except you get paid." Riley shrugged as e spoke. That was the he saw it. Although he was now surrounded by Alexia when she would be on her holiday due to the fact that Ash was dead so Alexia had to live in the other appartment. He woud have to talk to Cyndi about that later. Or now. Made no real difference. "Cyndi could i ask something of you?" He asked scratching the back of his neck awkwardly

Cyndi giggled as she listened to Riley correct her and tell her that he wasn't afraid. "Sorry" she smiled, not wanting to hurt his feelings or feel any less manly at admitting that he feared anything. Boys she thought to herself and shook her head slightly.

When Riley tried to tell her how her job was like being in school again, Cyndi opened her mouth to argue and then closed it just as quickly. She considered what he said for a moment and then shrugged herself. "I've never thought of it like that. I guess you're right." Cyndi smiled at the thought. "Man...I've got the best job ever. I get paid to do what I used to do for free" she chuckled. Either way, whether it was like being in school or not, Cyndi absolutely loved her job as a professor. Her dreams of being an Obliviator only entered her mind on the rarest of occassions.

She stopped walking and turned to Riley as he asked her whether he could ask her a question. With a shrug, Cyndi smirked. "You just did, but I guess you can ask me another one." She stared at Riley as she waited to hear what he needed to ask her.

Riley smiled slightly when she mentioned that her job was the best ever. Being a professor wasnt really one of his dream jobs so he couldnt really agree but he respected her view about it. Riley let out a sigh as he began to spoke. " Well its just that with everything that has been going on with my family and my dad dying, my little sister has no where to live and i dont want her to live with my older brother because well he isnt the type of person you would want to be around. What i wanted to ask was would it be ok with you if she came to live with us. She goes to HNZ so she will be away at school a lot of the time anyway." Riled as he looked at her hoping she wouldnt turn him down, he really couldnt imagine her living with Theo. He doubted if Theo would even let her anyway. He may have been taking charge of the family problems and such but it didnt mean he liked any of them

(like the new banner btw) xD

Cyndi listened carefully to what Riley was saying and then nodded quickly. There was really nothing for her to think about. Riley was her roommate and one of her best friends, and if he or anyone in his family needed help, then she would do whatever she could. "Of course she can, Riley. Mi casa es su casa" Cyndi answered softly with a chuckle.

"We'll have to buy her some things like a bed and her own dressers and stuff though" she added as an afterthought already thinking of how she could make the teenage girl welcome. She also hoped the girl wasn't allergic to cats or anything because Midnight seemed to enjoy having access to every room in the house and she didn't know how the cat would react to be kept in only one room.

((Thanks...I like yours too :) )

[color=000]Riley grinned widely when Cyndi said that his little sister could live with them. He gave her a hug and spun her around. " Thanks Cyndi. This will mean a lot to her." He said to her happily as he put her back on the ground. " You dont need to worry about buying her stuff i expect she would want all her old stuff there anyway. Although the buying new things would mean an extra shopping trip for her so i now have no idea." Riley laughed slightly as he though about Alexia and what she would choose to do. " Im sure you two will get on. She is very bubbly and has energy with no limits." Riley was in such a good mood now things were going really good for him tonight. As he continued to walk he linked his hand in hers. " Thanks again Cyndi." He said softly with a smile[/color]

Cyndi was surprised when Riley lifted her up and spun her around. Laughing out loud as he placed her back down, Cyndi nodded when he thanked her. In her opinion, it was nothing that deserved thanks but she could see why he was so grateful. "Of course we'll get along. She's a gryffindor, right? That already means we have tons in common" she pointed out to him.

When Riley linked his hand with hers again, Cyndi was happy for the warmth. It really was getting rather cold and she wasn't wearing enough to keep her entirely warm. She was feeling slightly warm but the longer they stayed out, the colder she was beginning to feel. "No problem Riley...that's what friends are for"she murmured, forgetting for the moment that they were on a date and that they were trying to figure out their more than just-friends status. The night had felt so natural and normal that the fact that this was a date hadn't crossed her mind since they'd entered the restaurant a while ago.

"Maybe we should start heading back home. I'm getting kind of cold" she admitted as they continued walking.

Riley nodded. He did think that they had a lot in common and by the amount that Alexia could talk he knew they would find something. " Yeah i bet you do. Alexia can talk for New Zealand so im sure you will find something to chat about, if not im sure you two can girly gossip about me and that other stuff that you girls like to do." He joked as he took off his jack and put it on Cyndi. " There you go and year sure we can. Its not really a long walk. Probably ten minutes or so." He said as he held her hand again. He noticed that she mentioned the word friends. He wasnt really bothered as this was only a first date so he couldnt expect anything more.

Riley changed route so that they could take the quicker way home. " I will be picking her up from the train station in the morning so do you want to stick around till then to meet her if you havnt already?" Riley asked her as he looked to his side and put his arm around her shoulder and planted a soft kiss on the top of her head.

Cyndi giggled as Riley mentioned that she and Alexia could gossip about him. It hadn't crossed her mind to do that, but she was his sister after all and probably knew more about him than almost anyone. Cyndi missed not living with her own sister who she had been close to but wasn't as close to anymore, so she was looking forward to having a younger girl in the house. As Riley placed his jacket on Cyndi, she smiled and thanked him. The jacket smelled like the cologne he wore and Cyndi took a deep breath of the scent as she pulled it closer and then let Riley take her hand.

When they turned onto another, familiar route, Cyndi knew that they would be home in no time. She listened to Riley speak and then nodded her head. "Of course. That sounds great" she said. She was about to add more when Riley surprised her by putting his arm around her shoulder and planting a kiss on her head. Cyndi smiled to herself as she leaned her head against his shoulder and the pair continued walking. Anyone walking by would easily think that they were a couple taking an evening stroll.

After another few minutes of easy conversation, Cyndi could see their apartment not too far ahead. She chuckled to herself as she thought about how different this was from most dates. "This is usually the part of the date where I thank the guy for a nice evening and send him on his way while I head home" she chuckled again as she moved her head from Riley's shoulder and looked up at him as they reached the doorway and she pulled her wand out to magically unlock the door. "It'd be kind of weird to do that tonight considering we're heading to the same place" she smiled before adding, "but thanks anyway Riley...tonight was fun. It was good to spend time with you."

Riley smiled to himself when Cyndi rested her head against his should as they walked. It was strange how this was not his usual sort of date as this one actually lasted the whole night without anything happening. As they walked to the apartment Riley couldnt help but laugh. " Well usually i go into the house and not shooed away but as i cant be a gentleman and wait until the second date to see you again as we live together i have no choice but to go in." He smiled as he though his sentence made little sense. " Ok i dont think i worded that very well." He laughed again as he scratched the back of hi neck awkwardly. " Dont worry about it. Im glad you enjoyed yourself tonight." He said to her softly as he opened the door for her to walked into the apartment.

Riley followed her in and shut the door behind him. As he took her jacket off for her Midnight came running up to them both mewing at them. Riley chuckled and picked her up. " Think she missed you." He said playfully. "Either that or she is hungry." He commented as he walked into the kitchen and picked her bowl up and put some food in it for her and placed it back down for her to eat.

Riley washed his hands and looked over to Cyndi. " So what do you want to do now then?" He asked curiously. If this had been with another girl then he knew exactly what he would be doing but this was Cyndi and he wouldnt do anything like that unless he knew that she wanted to too. Maybe later if things went well between then

Cyndi smirked, knowing full well what Riley usually did with his dates. She listened to him ramble, her eyebrow lifting as he said that he couldn’t be a gentleman. She actually thought he had been a perfect gentleman this evening. ”Uh huh. I know what you usually do” she laughed as she entered the apartment. She wasn't at all bothered with the knowledge since it was something she'd known for a while. It wasn't as if he could hide the fact from her.

When Midnight ran out to greet them and Riley mentioned that he thought she missed Cyndi, the young professor shook her head. ”I bet she’s hungry” she called as Riley took the cat into the kitchen and fed her. As Riley asked what she wanted to do now, Cyndi shrugged her shoulders. ”I dunno. Wanna watch some television?” she replied as she sat on the sofa, not really wanting to but not knowing what else to do.

Riley laughed slightly when she mentioned that she knew what he usually did. Well what could he say, lots of girls knew. Riley smiled slightly at that thought but shook it off as he walked into the living room and sat down next to Cyndi. "Ok but i will have to rely on your knowledge of the t.v as i never watch it." Riley said. He wasnt big on the whole muggle technology. He didnt hate it and would use it but he had sort of picked it up from his dad and family.

Riley handed her the remote and shifted his position and put his arm around her again and kissed her neck gently. He rested his head on the back of the sofa and sighed lightly. "You dont have to go back to work any time soon do you?" He asked hoping she would stay for the holidays.

Cyndi listened to Riley as he sat down beside her. She was surprised to hear that he didn't ever watch television. Growing up with a muggle mother, television had been one of the family's favorite forms of entertainment and that had followed her when she'd bought her own place. She hardly watched it since she was hardly ever home, but on occassion she would put it on and watch an old movie or something. She took the remote from his hand, but fumbled and dropped it as Riley kissed her on the neck.

Before she could do anything, Riley was already sitting back and speaking to her again as if nothing had just happened. "What? Um...no" she replied after a minute, slightly distracted by what had just happened. There was no way television would hold her attention now. That was...interesting she thought to herself, a smile crossing her face. On impulse, Cyndi leaned towards Riley and reached her hand to his cheek, kissing him softly just as her hand reached his cheek. She pulled back quickly as she realized what she'd done and her hand went from Riley's cheek to her mouth as she stammered, "I shouldn't have done that..." She made to stand up from the sofa so she could go to her room. It was obviously time to call it a night before she made things even more extremely awkward for the both of them.

Riley was happy to hear that she didnt have to go back to work soon. It seemed she always left before she came. He was happy to be spending time with her now though. When Cyndi kissed him he kissed her back, a little shocked by her reaction. Riley stared at her as he pulled himself together a little more. Before he could speak she was up and walking upstairs into her room. Riley quickly followed. Walking up the stairs two at a time and stopping outside of her door.

Knocking twice before entering he slowly popped his head around the door. He walked into the room cautiously and shut the door quietly behind him. "You know kissing your boyfriend isnt a crime that i know of." He joked with a slight chuckle. "I think you thinking too much into this. You should let go, do what your mind wants to do and stop holding yourself back." He said softly as he leant against the wall.

Cyndi entered her room, shut the door and began to pace her room. She didn't know what had come over her, though another part of her absolutely had not regretted it. When she heard a knock at her door, Cyndi paused in her pacing and watched as Riley entered the room and closed the door behind him. She listened to him speak, a brief smile crossing her face as he told her that she was thinking too much about it all and that she shouldn't hold back.

"I'm sorry I'm having trouble with this..." she began as she put her hand on his forearm. "You're right Riley..." she added as she leaned in, put her other hand around his neck and gave him a hug. "I dunno why though...I mean I do, but it shouldn't...I'm going to shut up now" she said, realizing that she was rambling. She really, really wanted to kiss Riley again, and wanting to prove that she wasn't thinking about it too much, Cyndi went for it. Her lips met his again. This time she didn't pull back right away, but kept her arm around his neck.

Riley listened to her speak. A slight smile on his face. " Yeah im Riley. Well last time a checked i was and dont worry about rambling, im a good listener and the more someone talks the less i have to so." He shrugged slightly. Riley liked to talk but nit too much that he would give his entire life history away in just ten minutes, there was a line somewhere and that stopped at school.

When Cyndi kissed him it shocked him even more. He had not really been expecting that but never the less this was Riley after all so he did what he always did. He took hold of her waist gently as he kissed her back. His hands holding her lightly as he pulled her closer to him. After a few minutes he pulled away. He looked at his room mate curiously. He wasnt sure about his next move as he didnt know how she felt about it. Riley being a gentle man, to an extent, thought about it for a second. "Are you sure that this is what you want?" He asked her lightly. He needed to know that this was what she wanted and not just him.

As they continued kissing, Cyndi could feel her heart beating quickly especially when he pulled her in closer. When Riley pulled away first, Cyndi took a deep breath and looked up at Riley who was looking at her as if he didn't know what to do. Neither did she. When he asked if she was sure, Cyndi pulled away. Now, she was back to thinking about all of this. She knew what the next move would be for someone like Riley but if she wanted this to work, which she kind of did, that certainly wasn't going to happen. She wanted Riley to continue respecting her as she thought he did.

"Um...I'm not sure how to answer that one" she said with a smirk as she stepped away from him. Sighing heavily, Cyndi spoke slowly, thinking through her response. "Yes, I'm sure that I want to give this a go, but I think we should take this slow Riley. I'll be here the whole summer so there's no need to rush, right?" She sat on her bed and looked up at Riley, not wanting him to be mad at her for what she was saying. With a wave of her wands, a pair of pants and a t-shirt flew towards her from her drawers.

Riley nodded at what she said. He could understand her reasoning behind her words. He was happy with her decition how ever so with a soft sigh he went over and sat next to her on the bed. " It ok i understand. In fact i agree i mean it would mean more if we did wait." He said as he watched her use her wand to get some clothes. With a sudden thought he stood and looked away from her. " Um do you want to leave if your getting changed?" He asked still looking in the opposite direction. This behaviour was very different to his usual but if he wanted this to work then he would just have to act this way and make her happy

Cyndi smiled softly as Riley sat beside her and told her he understood. She was glad he did. When he looked away from her, Cyndi had no idea why until she heard him speak. With a chuckle, she said "Yea, that would probably be a good idea." Kissing his cheek, she stood from her bed. "I'll see you in the morning Riley." Cyndi would have a lot to think about this evening, but she knew that Riley was willing to be patient and that made everything feel much simpler. Knowing that he wasn't rushing her into anything was a good thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back