Its been a while

Riley Smith

Riley sat in the house on the sofa with his eyes shut. He wasnt asleep but he was kind of tired and was resting his eyes. The reason for him not falling asleep was the fact that Cyndi was coming around and he hadnt actually seen her in some time and wanted to catch up. He wondered if she had a boy friend yet. If not then Riley may just be his normal self and see if he could get lucky with her. He smiled slightly at the though. Of course he wasnt going to get too full of himself as he may change his mind during the course of the night.

Opening his eye Riley stood up to get a drink from the kitchen. He opened the fridge door and tookout a butterbeer, not wanting to get drunk before she had even arrived. Riley say at the table and put his legs back and sipped his drink as he waited for her to show

As Cyndi walked towards the door to her place, she could feel her shoulders relaxing and the tension in her head going away. It wasn't often that she came home, but when she did, she was actually able to relax. Using her wand, she unlocked the door and walked inside. A quick wave of her wand sent her bag to her room, the room she hadn't seen in months. She absolutely couldn't wait to lie down on her bed. The one she had at the castle was pretty comfortable, but nothing beat being in your own home.

Another thing Hogwarts didn't have that her home did was her roommate, Riley. With a smile, Cyndi stepped into the living room expecting him to be there but he wasn't. Midnight was though, and Cyndi stepped over to the cat and petted it before it jumped off the sofa and out of the room. "Riley? You home?" she asked aloud, hoping that he was.

Riley listened for a second when he heard someone. With a smile creeping onto his face, Riley placed his drink down and stood up. He had missed his room mate and after all the events that had happened since their last meeting they would definitely be talking for a while. This was a good thing for Riley, having someone to talk to was something that he needed.

Walking into the living room he saw Cyndi. He smiled widely as Midnight ran past him. " Well luckily i am." Riley with a slight laugh in his tone. " Hello you it been a while." He said walking over to her and giving her a hug. " How have you been?" Riley asked her releasing Cyndi from the hug and sitting down

Cyndi smiled as she heard her roommates voice and Riley stepped into the room. She returned the hug and dropped down into the seat right beside him. "Too long...you must think I'm a terrible roommate. I'm never here!" she said as she settled into the seat and pushed her hair behind her shoulder. Now that it was growing out again, she was constantly pushing it back.

"I'm good...but I've got a question for you" she said pursing her lips, remembering the encounter she'd had with her student nearly a month ago. She had promised herself to not get involved and she wasn't going to, at least she was going to try to not get involved. It was just an innocent question. "Why didn't you tell me you were dating one of my students?" she asked, a bit hurt that he hadn't confided something so important to her.

Riley had to think about what she asked for a second. He may have been with a few people but he wasnt with a student at the moment. Although there had been Pat but they hadnt even done anything to call it a relationship. They hadnt even kissed, the reason why he ended it. " Im not dating a student. I did for like a term but as i didnt see you i couldnt tell you and we didnt even kiss so it was hardly a relationship to speak of." He said with a shrug. " Besides i have my eyes on someone now." He said wondering if she would ask who so he could say it was her and maybe get something going. If not then he would mark it as a lost cause and just try something new but he wouldnt be going all out as this was a friendly meeting after all.

Cyndi was confused for a moment. She was pretty sure that Patricia had said they were 'dating.' Obviously, Riley and Patricia had very different ideas of what dating meant and she couldn't help but feel sorry for the poor girl. Riley seemed to have moved on already, and Cyndi hoped that Pat had done the same. The girl was incredibly sweet and she hoped that Riley had at least been nice to her when he'd broken up with her.

With an amused expression on her face, Cyndi decided to take the bait. "Oh yea? Who's the girl of the month? I bet she won't stand a chance once she finds out" she said with a giggle as she leaned her elbow on the back of the sofa, knowing that if even half the rumors she heard about her roommate were true that he'd bedded a good portion of the country already and was well on his way to getting with more. Personally, she didn't care what he did because he paid his part of the rent on time and she'd never come home to see any of his girls there, so whatever he did he did discreetly enough.

Riley smiled widely as he copied her position on the sofa. He would play around a little before actually saying. " Well she has a great job that i respect. She is one of the prettiest girls i know. She is young, older than me but young.And you know her very well." Riley said making sure he sounded genially affectionate about talking about this person. He was good at faking some emotions although he did like Cyndi so didnt really have to fake it at all, something not very common for Riley. He was wondering what Pat had actually said about him. He hadnt seen her much at all so was slightly surprised that she had even mentioned him

Cyndi listened to Riley's description of the girl he was interested in. She nodded upon hearing that the girl had a job. It meant she had goals and was not living off of someone else. The next two things were interesting as well. Considering how many girls Riley had been with, him saying that she was one of the prettiest certainly meant something. It was the last bit of information that intrigued her most. Someone I know? she questioned, her eyebrow quirking up as she tried to figure out who it was.

Since it was someone older than Riley, she knew it couldn't be any of her students. This was suprisingly relieving to Cyndi. Continuing to think, she realized that the only other girl she knew who was her age was Estrella and it certainly wasn't her. That particular friend was very happily married and had a child. It must be one of my co-workers she realized, figuring that it was one of the female professors. It had to be. Since all of them were older than Cyndi, they were obviously older than Riley and she didn't really know anyone else off the top of her head. "I'm stumped Rile...you have to give me another clue." She was rather intrigued and a look of amusement crossed her face, but she didn't mind playing this game to figure out who it was. The Gryffindor in her wouldn't allow her to give up or simply have Riley tell her. No, she wanted to figure this out all on her own.

Pulling out her wand, Cyndi waved in and a butterbeer made its way over to her. "Want one?" she asked, readying her wand to bring another for him.

Riley couldnt help but smile as he watched her think. Her facial expressions made him laugh slightly. He would have to think of any other thing to say after her asking for another clue. He frowned slightly as he thought about his next clue. " Well i dont think she teaches first and second years." Riley said with a shrug as he watched her get a butterbeer. As Riley had just had one he shook his head at the offer. " No thanks." He said shifting his position again. He wondered if Cyndi would get it or if she was one of those people where she would always think of herself last and still not believe it.. How ever he was intrigued to see how she would react when she found out she was the subject of this conversation. "And just to help you along some more she is younger than thirty." Riley said with a smile as he gave her another clue

Putting her wand in her lap as Riley shook his head, Cyndi grabbed the butterbeer and put her hand on the top to twist it open as she listened to his clues. Doesn't teach 1st or 2nds? That doesn't leave very many professorsshe thought to herself. In fact, it didn't leave any except for her. Her hand froze just as the top opened off the butterbeer.

No way, she said to herself as she blushed. She couldn't see it for herself but could tell from the heat on her cheeks that they must be a bright red or pink. She'd lived with Riley for almost a year or more now and he'd never given her any indication that he liked her, had he? She couldn't recall and wasn't sure if she was simply oblivious to it all. "Umm...you're not talking about me, are you Rile?" she asked quietly as she placed a hand to her cheek, the coolness from the butterbeer hitting the heat on her cheek.

She found that she couldn't quite look him in the eye as she waited for his answer, so she glanced down at her butterbeer which she hadn't even taken a sip from.

Riley ruffled his hair up slightly as he watched her think. It couldnt have been that hard to guess, or at least he didnt think it was but then again he did know who he was talking about. Leaning back and resting his head on his hand he smiled slightly when she guessed. Well at least she got it right first time.

Thinking what to reply to that wouldnt make her storm off or feel too uncomfortable he just passed it off. " Would that be a problem? I mean were close right." He said trying to sound casual. After all he had done this quite a lot so was good with the words and such. He wondered for a second what was going through her mind now, if she was happy or if she was feeling some other emotions. It was hard for him to tell except for the bright red colour she had turned to now but that could have been a lot of things

Cyndi looked up at Riley as he spoke. He was right, they were close, much closer than she was with any other guy anyway. But, Cyndi knew that Riley was never really serious about the girls he dated with the exception of Annmarie. He had seemed really serious about her, for a while anyway.

Taking a sip of her butterbeer finally, Cyndi considered what he'd said some more. It was beginning to get into that awkward type of silence where someone needed to eventually say something in order to break it. "Nooo" she said slowly, "it wouldn't be." She stood silent for a moment and then dropped her eyes. "Just awkward, maybe. I dunno." Cyndi shrugged her shoulders, a small smile crossing her lips. It would be hard for her to deny that she'd imagined what a kiss between the two of them would be like, but anything more than that she'd tried to prevent herself from thinking about. They were friends after all, and on top of that, they were roommates. Talk about awkward. If it ended up being a one-time thing then the two of them would still be living with each other.

Riley nodded. He was about to talk again to break the silence but Cyndi beat him to it. She had a point that it could get awkward but not if it lasted. He couldnt live here forever but he could for as long as he needed. Besides he did like Cyndi so it was worth a shot. " Yeah there is the risk of that but friends make the best partners most of the time and we are good friends besides its worth a shot. I really do like you and i was trying to hide the fact from you but its best you know." He said looking up at her with his puppy dog eyes. He must admit he was curious of the out come but that would first need her to date him. " If i does get to strange then we can call it off. If you dont make it awkward then i wont either so that wont be a problem." He pleaded.

Cyndi played with the wrapper on the bottle as she listened to Riley speak and looked up as he told her that he really liked her and had been keeping it a secret from her. For how long? she wondered but didn't say anything. She simply blushed again, though it was likely hard to tell since her cheeks were still red from when she'd first blushed several moments ago. His puppy-dog eyes weren't helping matters. They just made Riley look even more darn adorable, which would make it harder for Cyndi to find a reason to tell him no.

Cyndi bit her lip as she considered what he'd said. His reasoning sounded so logical though that Cyndi finally nodded her head. " And we'll stay friends? No matter what?" she asked, ready to give in. "Alright...I'll agree to a date and we can see if it's not too weird" she added in a fairly even tone even though her heart was pounding in excitement at the prospect of a date with Riley.

She did still feel rather bad for Patricia, but Riley had convinced her that it hadn't been as serious as Patricia had thought it had been. So, there's nothing to feel guilty about, right? she thought to herself as she sat back in her seat. No...of course not. Besides, you and Patricia aren't friends. She's just your student. It's not the same. she convinced herself.

Riley felt his smile grow even wider when Cyndi agreed to date him. He felt himself feel really light, like nothing would dampen his mood. He had liked for ages and now he was officially dating her. This was great. Standing up, still smiling he held out his hand. " Yeah i promise we will still be friends how ever this turns out. And i think i will take you on our first date. Are you hungry because i know this really good restaurant that makes great food. Or if your not hungry then we could so something else but i dont know because my mind has gone totally blank." He said laughing as he felt a little dumb about his last comment. Rubbing the back of his neck awkwardly. " Up to you i mean we could stay in and chat if you like. I dont mind." Riley said with a smile as he looked at her waiting to see hat she wanted to do with the rest of the night.

Cyndi couldn't smile at how eager he was. It was rather contagious and she found herself smiling with him as well. As she listened to him tell her some options, Cyndi heard her stomach grumble. It was pretty loud too so she was pretty sure Riley had heard himself. "I think my stomach's making up my mind for me" she laughed as she stood up too. "I doubt the food'll be better than yours, but ok. Let's go" she said as she stood up beside him.

Dinner sounded like something normal and it would be difficult to feel awkward doing that. They would be too busy stuffing their mouths with food and it was more like what they usually did anyway. Eat and talk. That's all Cyndi. Calm down she told herself as she headed to their front door so that Riley could apparate them to the place.

Riley laughed at her comment as he walked to the door. " Im not that good besides these are professional cooks so im sure they are better." He said as he opened the door and held it open for her. " As this is my treat im paying. Just so we can clear this up before getting there." Riley shut the door after her and gave her a hug as he apperated the two of them outside the resturant. He had been to this place before so knew it was good. As he walked in Riley looked around. It wasnt that busy tonight which was a good thing. Walking over to a quiet table Riley pulled out a chair for Cyndi before sitting down himself and handing her a menu. " Well this wasnt as full as i expected. Thats all good i guss." He said starting conversation

Cyndi nodded her head to show that she would accept him paying for the meal. As he gave her a hug and they apparated away, Cyndi shut her eyes. She had never really much liked apparating, though she was fairly good at it now. As they landed with a crack outside of the restaurant, Cyndi was glad Riley was hanging on to her because even though she could apparate easily now, she still was pretty terrible with landings.

Stepping inside, Cyndi was relieved to see that it wasn't a fancy place because she certainly wasn't dressed for that. She had on a simple outfit- jeans, a tank-top and a cardigan, with flats. The place was pretty quiet and they would definitely have some privacy. When Riley pulled out her chair, Cyndi couldn't contain the smile on her face. "Thanks Rile" she said as she sat and took the menu he offered her. "Since you've been here, what do you suggest?" she asked as she glanced down at the menu, seeing a bunch of things that sounded good.

Riley looked through his own menu to see what he was in the mood for. He wasnt really that hungry but he wouldnt be showing that so he would just getting something small like a burger and chips. Looking up to Cyndi with a smile when she spoke to him Riley thought for a second before answering. " Well i would have to say that the duck is nice." He told her as he rested his menu back down on the table and waited for Cyndi to make her choice. It was hard for him to tell how long he had though about doing something like this with her but never actually did it but now he was and he found it strange. A good kind of strange.

Cyndi listened to Riley's suggestion and a small frown crossed her face. Duck...yuck she thought to herself as she looked for something a bit less fancy to eat. She didn't want Riley spending too much money even if he had already said that he was going to be paying for the meal. "I don't think I'm a duck kind of girl" she said softly, not wanting anyone to overhear but Riley. "I think I'll just have the steak and chips" she said as she shut her menu and waited for the waiter to arrive.

She tapped her foot nervously on the floor, wondering what they should talk about next. "I've been thinking of getting a tattoo once school lets out...right here" she said as she pointed at the inside of her wrist. "Would you want to come with me?" she asked, "you know...for support. I hear they hurt like a b****" she said with a small chuckle. It had been something she had been considering since she had seen someone in London with one in the same spot. She had thought it looked really cool, and when she had a rune reading done on her by one of her students, the runes had been positive about the idea.

Riley nodded then waved the waiter over so he could order their food. Once he had done that Riley looked back to Cyndi with a smile. " You know when you came around i didnt actually plan any of this. Im glad it happened though." Riley said truthfully. He may have planned a few things but this wasnt really one of them. It was strange how Adele's name kept popping in to his head though. He did this sort of thing all the time so why was this different. Riley shook his head and the trail of thoughts. " So How has work been recently?" He asked starting a conversation hoping he had not already asked this question but he had a feeling he had but he didnt really care though

Cyndi listened to Riley and looked down, a smile on her face as a blush crossed her cheeks. Am I really that oblivious? she wondered because she honestly hadn't had a clue that Riley liked her in any way other than as friends. She found that after considering everything, she was happy to be with him on this date too. "Me too" she said, looking up at him with the smile still on her face.

When he asked her how work had been, Cyndi's eyebrow raised. Did he ask me that already? she wondered, unable to remember herself. "Umm...it's been pretty good actually. I've got a good group of students and since Ancient Runes isn't the most popular subject, my classes are pretty small and I get to know the students well." It was a good topic, something she felt comfortable with which made her feel more relaxed overall. "How about you? Been keeping busy?" she asked as the waiter brought them over some drinks. Cyndi thanked him and then took hers, taking a sip.

Riley nodded as he listened to Cyndi and as she asked him a question. Riley was always keeping busy, weather it was a job or with a girl. Chances are he would have his mind set on something. "Of course. You know me im always thinking away with things." He said with a grin on his face. Riley didnt really want to mention the fact of his dad's death yet because he had a feeling it would ruin the night and he didnt want to do that and he and his dad werent that close anyway so it was news that could wait or not even be told at all. Riley did find it strange how ever about Theo's reaction to this of course Riley knew that Theo was heartless and such but he did seem to man up about this whole thing. Taking responsibility for the family because he was the oldest made Riley see him in a slightly different light. It would be something to see Alexia's reaction to the whole thing though.

Riley looked over when the waiter cam with their drinks he smiled slightly. " Thanks." He told the waiter as he sipped his drink after the waiter left. Looking back to Cyndi he couldnt really think of what to say. " So how is your family?" He asked thinking that was a dumb question but after his trail of thoughts before it made sense that that would be the first thing to come to mind

"They're doing well. I think my mom and dad are trying to get me to move to England or something though because every couple of days I get an owl from one of them telling me about things that are happening in London." She shook her head though there was a smile of amusement on her face. Her parents meant well, but there was no way she was moving to London for good. She loved New Zealand.

As she was about to ask Riley a question, their waiter arrived with their food. She couldn't believe how quickly it had arrived and quickly reached down to pick up a chip and pop it into her mouth. "Mmm..." she said. "How's your family doing?" she asked. She knew he had a rather large family, larger than hers anyway and one of his sister's was actually at Hogwarts, a gryffindor if she wasn't mistaken.

Riley listened to her talk about her family. He was glad that they were doing well, made him feel better for it. When the food arrived he took a bite. He was very food crazy, one of his many pleasures. He loved to cook and that showed in the way it tasted but he wouldnt want to be a cook though that was too much work for him.

Rileys face changed as did his mood when she mentioned his family. Of course he should have been expecting that be he had to admit that he wasnt. He cleared his throat and ruffled his air as he tried to make his voice even. " Well to put it in basic terms its seems that my family is slowly dying off. I fear that its kind of like survival of the fittest. But i dont want to talk about all that depressing stuff now. Now its about me you and food." He laughed awkwardly. He knew Alexia wouldnt die because she was always in school so she didnt really have to worry about the doing of the family and all that stuff. It was mainly him and Theo now. The person he used to hate the most he was now allied with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back