Blood Status
Unknown
Relationship Status
Too Young to Care
Sexual Orientation
Too young to care
Wand
None yet
Silas woke up a little late in the morning after the sorting. There was just so much to take in, like an overwhelming amount of newness that he wasn't sure how to process. He'd had a fitful night in the Ravenclaw first-year dorm room and hadn't found anyone to talk to yet. All of these thoughts and more were running through his head as he entered the Great Hall.

It was much louder in here this morning than it had been during the sorting ceremony as friends reunited and new friendships formed. No one, not one single witch or wizard, looked familiar to Silas, so he headed towards the nearest table--his sleepy mind convinced that the bright yellow ties he was seeing meant that he was at the Ravenclaw table. There was an empty space near a wizard his age, and Silas took his seat right there, looking around at the food selection. "Hey," he told the boy next to him, without really looking at him.

Zerrin was settling in, having written home his first night and already started his letter home for today. He meant to write every night- who else would tell Fraser everything that happened- and his eyes roamed around the room as he ate his breakfast, feet swinging gently under the bench he sat on. He glanced at the boy next to him as he spoke, smiling widely before looking back around the room. "Hey. Sleep well?" He asked, probably a bit too energetically for first thing in the morning, but he didn't mind too much.

Silas hadn't been expecting an actual response, but there it was. Should he tell the truth? He had no reason to lie to this other boy. "Not really," he confessed. "I'm still getting used to things here. Did you? Sleep well, I mean?" He had somewhat assumed that everybody his age had had a bad first night as they got used to their surroundings. However, this kid seemed to have a lot more energy than Silas did, so maybe that assumption was in error.

Zerrin looked over to the kid, and offered a smile. "Not really," He replied. "You do know this is the Hufflepuff table, yeah?" He asked, before holding out his hand. "I'm Zerrin. You?" He introduced himself with a smile, glad that at least this mix up might have made him a new friend. "You're in Ravenclaw?" He inquired, sipping his drink.

What on earth is a Hufflep-- oh, no, he thought, embarrassed. "Um--" he shook the boy's hand, not knowing what to address first. "Silas. I'm Silas. And I thought I was at the Ravenbeak--Ravenclaw?--table." That last bit was mumbled. This whole place made him feel somewhat like he was upside down. It would take some getting used to. "I can go," he offered, dropping Zerrin's hand and standing up.

Zerrin smiled, and shook his head. "No, it's fine." He told him, nodding his head. "Just sit with me. It's fine." He reassured the boy. "We'll call it an adventure. It gives us time to talk." He smiled. "Ravenclaw is all the way over on the end. Just stay with me for now."

Silas looked blankly over at the actual Ravenclaw table, which somehow seemed more serious than this one. Maybe he'd come here for a reason. From what he gathered, he didn't share the same traits as his new housemates. Wisdom? Intelligence, even? The Sorting Hat must have seen something buried far beneath the surface.

Either way... he was here. He sat back down. "If you don't mind," he agreed. "I'm too hungry to go all the way over there for food." And he was. "Can we really just eat any of this?" Usually, he just had to eat whatever his parents made. There was quite the selection here, something he wasn't used to.

Zerrin smiled, pleased he'd won, and took another bite of his food. "Yeah, just grab whatever," He told Silas with a grin. "The goblets fill up on their own, too, its pretty cool." He took a sip of his grape juice. "I'm curious about classes... Do you think we'll have any together? You could totally sit with me if you want to." He offered.

Silas started loading up a plate. He was probably getting too much food, as if his parents had starved him, but really he was just excited at the selection. “I’m sure we will,” Silas agreed, buttering a scone. “We can sit together for sure. I’m probably going to have a lot of questions, though.” There you have it—he already had a friend. Who knew if Zerrin would still like him once they got to know each other? But it was a start.

Zerrin smiled and shook his head. "Ask all the questions you want! We could study together once a week if you wanted?" He offered, thinking it would help to talk class outside of class. "It's always better to have someone working with you," He nodded sagely.

That fact was true, although in Silas’ experience you couldn’t always trust other people. Most of them had ulterior motives, and even the ones that didn’t, didn’t always stick around for long. “We should study together. I’m going to be so lost, and I can help you with the normal subjects like maths and stuff.” He was good at that bit, at least. And he’d heard some interesting class names but surely there was also maths.

Zerrin smiled, pleased that Silas had agreed so easily. "Great! We can go over homework and stuff, practice spells." He sipped his drink before looking over to Silas. "This is a whole lot of change, huh? We basically moved out," He grimaced, relieved all over again that his mother wouldn't be by herself while he was here at school.

Moved out? It was true. "I hadn't thought of it like that," he admitted. "We're basically on our own now. That's so... weird." Who would trust him not to stay up all night playing video games? Although--there were no video games here, as it had been explained to him. What a disappointment. All the freedom he could ever ask for and he couldn't even have a telly.

Zerrin smiled. "Isn't it?" He took another bite of his food. "I mean, there are Professors here, but mostly they just stay out of our way." He frowned, taking a drink. "I don't like the no electricity thing." He sighed dramatically. "I'll have so much to catch up on over the break." He gave Silas a lopsided grin. "You'd think wizards would have figured out a way to be more with the times," He laughed lightly.

Silas could feel himself lighting up a little when Zerrin mentioned electricity. "Right? There's a new game I want coming out next week and I won't even be able to play it until I go back home." He groaned--he'd almost turned down coming to the school because of the lack of electricity, but he knew he'd regret that decision eventually. "Maybe that will be my contribution to the wizarding world, one day. Electricity."

Zerrin laughed lightly at the boys words. "Right? I'm going to miss the season finale of my favorite show," He whined, shaking his hair back out of his eyes. "Everyone will worship you if you do," He countered. "Can you imagine? We could have tellies in the dorm rooms and have movie nights in the common rooms," He sighed wistfully.

Silas had never wanted to be the center of attention, but having everyone here like him didn’t sound too bad. Maybe it was better than being invisible like he was now. “And game nights with real games,” he suggested. He’d seen some board games in the Ravenclaw common room last night. Was that all they had to do for fun around here? “You’d never have to miss your show.”

Zerrin lit up. "Mario Kart tournaments once a month," He offered, thinking that would be epic. "We should throw a party, give us something to do," He mused, already planning it in his head. "You should totally help me plan something."

A party? "A party?" he blurted out. Was that even allowed? Besides that, they were in completely different Houses, so would it be a Ravenclaw party or a Hufflepuff one? Would anyone even come? "Is that allowed?" he asked dumbly, and then immediately regretted it. Zerrin would think he was such a loser. "I mean, yeah, we can throw a party so all the First Years can get to know each other. That would be cool."

Zerrin blinked, surprised for a moment, but he recovered quickly. "Yeah, I was thinking a party could be fun." He watched Silas, cocking his head slightly. "We don't have to, I just thought it could be a fun way to get to know everyone," He explained. "We don't have to if you don't want to."

"No, I want to," Silas promised, and he meant it. His hesitation had mostly been about his insecurities. But this was a new place, a fresh start. A new Silas. "Do you think people would come?"

Zerrin relaxed slightly, his smile brightening just a bit. "I think they would, yeah! It's going to be awesome," He nodded. "What do you think, this weekend? I know someone who would come," He mused, thinking of Gregory. Zerrin would look out for him.

Silas didn’t know anyone yet, but it was fine. This would give him a reason to introduce himself. “I’ll start inviting the other Ravenclaw first years.” He should run into them sometime, as they all shared a dorm. “Where should we do it?”

Zerrin considered it. "I'll invite my dormmates, maybe we could put up some posters? We could make some today, set it in like, two weeks so that everyone has a chance to see it," He offered. "I have someone showing me around later today, I could ask Liusaidh if she knows anywhere?" He mused, thinking that would be a good place to start.

“Two weeks,” he agreed. That should give him time to at least make some other acquaintances, if not a friend or two. And maybe he’d have time to explore the castle more, find an empty classroom or something to host a party in. Were there clubs here, he wondered? They could use a club meeting room. “And we’d better figure out how they make all that food appear so that we can get people to come.” Usually the promise of good food would help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back