Information Organisation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emma Elfeirr

OOC First Name
Riley
Wand
Tāne Mahuta wood 9 1/2" Essence of Abaia fin
I have no idea if this has been mentioned before, but I just joined a few days ago, and I've found that the transition from being completely new to being an active member has been pretty dependent on my own familiarity with being a member of (and even running) a lot of different RP boards, especially Harry Potter ones, in the past rather than an easy-to-follow walk-through or step-by-step process for learning the specifics of this board and even RPing in general. I've been able to find everything all right, but it feels like I've done much more searching than a new member should need to. Generally, when I go to a site, I expect to know exactly where to go within seconds.

I'm not complaining though! I'm really enjoying this site so far and can't wait for Y11 to start. ^_^ I'm just noticing that the "learning curve" could be great reduced simply by organising the information in a more intuitive way. It's probably just the result of doing a lot of work in communication in the past few years; I'm always looking for ways to improve communication and get information to people FASTER, FASTER, FASTER. Perhaps we should set up a 3D pop-up effect which bombards guests with information at light speed. :woot:

So thoughts?

P.S. If it is decided that the organisation of information for new members should be improved, I will be beyond happy to share ideas and help with the improvements. ;)

All of our information is organized within one webpage: Site Documentation.
All the necessary links are in one sidebar, and with a single click the information is loaded.
I can't think of any way to make information simpler or easier to access.

Now, getting users to that page is troublesome.
We used to have an automatic PM upon registration that sent out, however the script has since ceased to work and I have thusly removed it. (As, like I said, it wasn't working. xD ) It is likely something that will be investigated then re-added to the board in the future.

However, as I've said, I just can't say any simpler or more convenient way to organize information than the documentation page I linked you to above.

Unfortunately, RPGs do tend to have more information that needs to be read before people are fully in tuned with things. Every board has its own nuances and, unfortunately, as we serve members who are RPing for the first time or who are the best in the world - our documentations need to cover everything from what roleplaying is, to the specific rules on this board, and include all vital information inbetween (like how the site timeline works and when sorting opens).

Plus the new member guide group thingy that Cyndi suggested? The obf when you adopt a n00b to show them around :)

The site documentation page works well. Like you said, it's getting people there. No one instinctively looks at the small text, top navigation though, where the link is placed. Nor do the words, "Site Documentation" immediately tell a new member that that's the hotspot for all the information they need. Once you're familiar with it and where it is, it works well, but it's just doesn't seem to communicate to brand-new members well.

I think the one of the first places someone looks is where the "House Points Board" div element is. Would having some kind of "Hey, if you want some information, just click here!" link up there be possible? Or even in the welcome/login message, actually. "Here's information, and you can always find the link at the top called Site Documentation." Obviously, not how I've worded either, but the basic idea of putting the information front and centre is more what I'm getting at.

I'm not sure if this is possible, but would it be possible to have a separate div element which displays only for "unsorted" members and maybe guests as well? There's probably a way to code it, as you can code to have forums disappear/appear for certain groups, so that might allow you to create an entire div element, front and centre, which will give new members the most basic of information and direct them to Site Documentation without having to take up space for old members who don't need it.

Jacob Holland said:
Plus the new member guide group thingy that Cyndi suggested? The obf when you adopt a n00b to show them around :)
A good point, Maddiie. :) If the new members guides takes off, that, too, will be very helpful. However, then the problem remains getting new users to the welcome centre.

Elizabeth: I think the welcome PM is still the best option whenever we can get it fixed. However, I did take your suggestion seriously and wrote a script which would only be visible on the index, and only to unsorted users.

I'm uploading a screencapture of what it would look like to this post.

shot.png

(click for full sized)

Do you think that'll be helpful?

Yes! That looks great! Hard to miss and very clear.

I agree that a welcome PM is the best option, but, like you said, the script stopped working. Until then, I think the div element should steer anyone with questions in the right direction right off.

Nick, I like your addition! Very slick! Good suggestion Elizabeth! :D

Alright, the code has been installed. ;)

Thanks for the suggestion, Elizabeth. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back