Blood Status
Muggleborn
Relationship Status
Interested in Somebody
Sexual Orientation
Bi
Wand
Curly 11 Inch Swishy Ash Wand with Kelpie Hair Core
It was finally for the yule ball, and Tristan couldn't wait to finally go into the great hall with his date by his side. But first, he had to wait for her. He was wearing a suit, much like most of the other guys around him. He hoped Jessica would wear an eye-catching dress. And he hoped Vivian wouldn't show up and create some sort of scene. He doubted it, as dance's really weren't his friend's thing. Neither were scenes of any kind.

He lingered in the Entrance hall to wait for Jessica as they had agreed on beforehand. He hoped she wouldn't be late, as he would feel incredibly foolish standing here for much longer. But his eyes lit up when he spotted her move through the crowd, and he stood up a little taller with a grin. Part of him wanted to wait for her to notice him on her own, but he couldn't resist calling her name and drawing more attention to the fact that this pretty girl was with him. "Jessica, over here." He called, waving at her. He grinned when she approached and held out his hand so she could take it. "You look absolutely stunning." He told her with a grin. "I'll bet anything you'll outshine all the other girls in the room." This wasn't strictly true, as he had already seen some older girls he thought were more eye-catching, but it was what she would want to hear. And she did look really nice.

The entire day thus far, Jessica had only been able to think of one thing. Well, in truth, several things - the dress, the boy, the shoes, the hair - but they were all of course concerned with the one event that had been claiming the forefront of her attention over the last few weeks, exceeding by far her recent exams. The Yule Ball. She'd been giddy with the thought of it ever since Tristan had asked her to attend with him, and had often found herself smiling down at her study notes distractedly, rather than actually going over them. And now the night had finally arrived - Jessica felt both excited and slightly nervous at the prospect. She wanted everything to be perfect, exactly how she had been imagining it all these weeks. She didn't want to settle for anything less during her first proper ball.

Beginning to scan the entrance hall as soon as she emerged from the dungeons, Jessica took a brief moment to admire the effort everyone else had gone to in looking presentable - but she knew who she was really looking for. Her gaze flicked from face to face as she stepped through the throng of people gathered in the room, searching for the boy she had been waiting to see all day. With every suit she caught sight of that wasn't being worn by Tristan, Jessica could feel her annoyance growing. This hadn't been part of the plan. They were supposed to enter the Great Hall together, and if she found out that he'd gone in without her, she would - Her head turned quickly at the sound of someone calling her name, and her expression brightened instantly. "Tristan!" She picked her way carefully across to him, gladly taking his hand with a little thrill of excitement and forgetting all of her previous annoyance. He looked so handsome, she could barely take it. And he had asked her to be his date tonight. Jessica felt like she was shining, which only intensified at hearing Tristan compliment her. "Thank you," she said with a smile. "You look quite stunning yourself - it's a pity you can't wear a suit all the time. Although," she added slightly teasingly, "you'd never get a moment's peace if you did, I'm sure." She certainly didn't want to spend too much time away from him tonight if she could help it. "I hope you weren't waiting too long - shall we go in?" Jessica asked, looking up at Tristan with bright eyes. She couldn't wait for her perfect night to get started.

The only thing Tristan liked more than how good Jessica looked in her dress, was the admiration in her expression as she looked at him. She really liked him, and that was a great boost for his ego and self esteem. Her comments only did more to puff him up, and he was grinning widely by the end. "I suppose I'll have to save my suit-wearing to special occasions, I quite like my peace." He teased back. "But my suit has nothing on your dress. I'm sure no one will even notice me next to someone as bright and beautiful as you." He knew by now that compliments were the way to her heart, and he wanted her to be happy tonight. With a smile, he offered her his arm. "I wasn't waiting long at all, you had perfect timing." He told her graciously. Her eager expression was adorable, and he couldn't wait to see her reaction to the decorated great hall. "Let's go." He said as he lead her inside the great hall, excited for the evening to begin.

((OOC note: I have Daph & Kathy's permission to jump in))

The Yule Ball had never been a school event Vivian especially looked forward to before. He supposed he had just been too young to enjoy it before. He had always gone along, stood awkwardly in the corner for a while, and left early, feeling isolated from his more sociable classmates. This year felt different though. He and Tristan weren't going together, sure, but that wasn't a problem. He didn't completely understand Tristan's reasons for wanting to keep their relationship secret, but it wasn't a big deal. They could always just run into each other at the ball, as friends. Maybe even have a dance, as friends. Find a secret place to steal away and kiss, even. It was a struggle to keep the smile off his face as he made his way downstairs to the Great Hall, eyes peeled for any sight of Tristan.

It didn't take long at all before Vivian spotted him up ahead, breaking into a grin as he did. Tristan looked so handsome in a suit, even from a distance. Vivian had put more effort into dressing up himself than ever before, and he hoped Tristan would notice. As he got a little closer Vivian realised he was talking to someone, a girl Vivian wasn't familiar with. He vaguely remembered seeing her with Tristan at the Valentines Dance too, maybe they were friends. A small, panicky part of his brain began to ring alarm bells, but he ignored it, continuing to approach the pair. They were standing awfully close. Nothing, just a friend of his. Having a chat. Obviously. It wasn't until Tristan extended his arm to lead the girl into the hall that Vivian's heart dropped into his stomach. That didn't look like a friendly gesture. They very much looked like. Like they were. Like they were on a date.

Time felt like it slowed to a crawl as the panicking part of Vivian's brain took over, a thousand possibilities flashing into his mind all at once, each one worse than the last. What were they doing here? Together? They... had to be together as friends, right? That was all it was. Vivian would... just go say hi, and it would be fine. Easy. Legs heavy like he was wading through deep water, Vivian made his way over to the two of them, forcing his face into the most deeply uncomfortable smile of his life. "Hi. Tristan." He said awkwardly, voice cracking slightly.

If it were possible for Jessica to smile any wider, she was sure she would have. It was only the beginning of the night, and already she felt like she was on top of the world. Tristan had called her beautiful - and though she didn't exactly need to be told, it was nice to hear someone say it out loud - someone that was her own age and not one of her mothers. "You just know all the right things to say, don't you," she said, giggling lightly as she gazed up at her date. "But don't sell yourself short - I wouldn't have agreed to come with just anyone." Which was absolutely true, as she did have standards after all. Tristan just managed to meet and surpass every one of them, which Jessica found fortunate. Nodding her head with a smile, she took her date's arm and walked with him into the Great Hall. The sight was breathtaking, and she took a moment just to admire the large room - sometimes this castle really could do certain things right. It was the perfect setting for the time she hoped was ahead of them.

Jessica was just about to suggest that they make a quick stop at the drinks table to begin the night when someone approached them. She stepped closer to Tristan on instinct, although it soon became apparent that the newcomer wasn't interested in her. She felt awkwardness cloud the air, although she couldn't really pin down where it was coming from. It might have been because she hadn't expected anyone to intrude on her night with Tristan - or at least, not in this way; she had absolutely pictured the two of them being asked for a photograph by the Hogwarts Monthly staff. Nevertheless, Jessica couldn't stand the uninvited discomfort and so sought to banish it by breaking the small silence that had descended. "Oh, hello! Are you one of Tristan's friends?" She directed a sunny smile at the strange boy. "He's never mentioned you." She said this with mock chastisement of her date, but if this was indeed someone Tristan thought well of, she wanted to make a good impression. "Perhaps he's never mentioned me to you either - I'm Jessica, it's lovely to meet you." Though she kept the smile on her face the unease didn't lessen, making her wonder if it was the natural state of being when in close proximity to the boy. Maybe he wasn't one of Tristan's friends after all - she couldn't imagine him spending his time with someone so awkward.

Tristan enjoyed seeing the wide smile on Jessica's face, and he knew a similar one was mirrored on his own face. He tried not to be as obvious about his enjoyment, but he still felt like he was going to have a great night with Jessica. "Knowing the right things to say happens to be a talent of mine." He told her with a small smirk. "But I'm glad to hear I meet your very high standards." The sight of the decorated great hall was awesome, though he tried not to look too impressed. The look of adoration on Jessica's face was adorable, though. And he leaned closer to gently tease. "Careful your mouth won't drop open in wonder, not very ladylike." He squeezed her arm slightly to show her he was just teasing. "Though it's cute."

Just as he was about to suggest they dance, they were approached by someone familiar. Horribly familiar. Tristan's heart sank as he took in his best friend, his... well, not his boyfriend. He hadn't said that, after all. They weren't dating. Still, he had rather counted on him not attending the ball. Now he had to talk himself out of this, before Vivian ruined his chances with Jessica. Even as his mind scrambled for excuces and things to say, and he inwardly grimaced at Jessica's rather poor choice of words for the situation, he was reminded of why he hadn't taken Vivian. As much as he liked him, he wasn't right. He simply didn't look like he belonged. He was awkward, gangly, and clearly uncomfortable in a crowd. Even though he was handsome, he didn't fit the image Tristan wanted to show to the school, so he simply couldn't be at his side. Why couldn't Vivian see that himself?

He swallowed and tried his most charming smile, hollow as it felt. "Hello Vivian." He said, trying to bury any emotion or guilt he might feel. "I didn't expect you to come to something like this." He glanced at Jessica, for the first time wishing she would just go away for a moment. Her constant smile as losing its charm quickly, as it seemed to just be making matters worse. "This is Jessica, my date." He said, meeting Vivian's eye and trying to convey his need for silence with his eyes. "Jessica, this is Vivian. He's a good friend." He knew the words would sting, but it was all he could say. He couldn't be truthful. Even best friend seemed too close, as Jessica would undoubtedly judge him for calling someone so odd his best friend. Aside from that, she might feel weird not knowing about him if they were that close. Vivian would have to deal for now, Tristan would explain later.

"Oh." The cracked sound felt like it was coming from somewhere else, another person controlling Vivian's painful smile as his mind reeled at the situation as this girl - Jessica - told it. Tristan had never mentioned him. At all. Vivian's heart dissolved in his stomach and melted down, down his legs, pooling in his feet and leaving his whole body feeling numb with shock and pain. The thought that this was really what it looked like shook his whole being. It felt unreal, impossible to process. There had to be some missing piece. Had he misunderstood Tristan? Had Tristan misunderstood him? It felt like the kisses they had shared were hard to misunderstand, but perhaps that was the case. Or maybe this girl was misunderstanding.

It was hard to read Tristan's expression from the alcove in the back of his mind that Vivian's consciousness had retreated to. This was definitely Tristan's fake smile, and there was something difficult to read in his eyes. Before Vivian could process the gesture though, Tristan was speaking again, words like daggers, sharp and painfully real as they stabbed into the drifty horror place Vivian's panicked mind had retreated to. My date. A good friend. What had gone wrong? The bottom had dropped out of Vivian's world, and it felt like any movement could be his last. "I - bye." Someone croaked out using his throat, and then that someone took control of his numb, tingling limbs, propelling him wordlessly out and away, away from this horrible situation, Tristan's painful words, his date gripping his arm, standing where Vivian had so clearly seen himself just ten minutes ago. Another world ago. He was barely out of the Great Hall before the tears began falling, numb body beginning to tremble as the shock finally washed through him.

The wonderful time she had previously been having with Tristan became very apparent to Jessica as the awkwardness from having the strange boy approach them increased. She waited patiently for him to say something more after her introduction, but apart from emitting a slightly unpleasant sound that she graciously decided could be called a response, he remained silent. It was almost rude, that Tristan had to introduce his friend for him, although she couldn't deny it was nice to hear herself being called his date out loud. Nevertheless, Jessica smiled brightly at Vivian, sure that now at least he would make some attempt at a conversation - she wanted to impress Tristan with how well she got on with his friends. It was a therefore a surprise when the boy simply walked away from them with barely a word, and Jessica blinked before an instinctual response of "Goodbye..!" trailed from her lips.

A small frown settling on her face as Jessica continued to watch Vivian leave, she turned her head up towards Tristan. "Is he alright? He didn't say very much." Truthfully, she was glad that the boy was gone though. Conversing in that strange atmosphere he had brought with him would have grown very unpleasant, she though - and besides, tonight was supposed to be just for her and Tristan exclusively. One perfect night in this usually lonely and unsettling place, was that too much to ask for? Maybe so, as even her date seemed slightly off now she thought, watching his face. He looked different when he wasn't smiling. Not willing to let the occurrence set the tone for the rest of the night, Jessica tucked her arm slightly closer into Tristan's. "Do you want to go get something to drink?" she suggested softly. It was as good a way as any to salvage the date she had agreed to.

Tristan watched Vivian carefully, he was clearly upset, but Tristan cared most at the moment about how much the other boy would show it. He was thinking of more he could say to make this right, but he had nothing. Nothing that wouldn't clue Jessica in to what was going on. He sighed, quietly relieved as Vivian left them again. He felt guilt too, of course, but he knew he couldn't deal with that until later. For now, he had to focus on this evening and making sure it would be the best it could be. He didn't want this encounter to ruin it completely.

"He's fine." He said to Jessica's question. Maybe his answer was a bit short, but he didn't want to linger on the question whether Vivian was alright. He watched his friend retreat until he was out of sight. Then he finally turned to his date again with a smile. "Drinks sound wonderful." He said with a nod. "Let's start there." He squeezed her arm again, before starting to lead her over to the table with refreshments. He glanced over his shoulder one more time, but his best friend was nowhere to be seen anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back