In the evening

Kate sighed as he grabbed her arm and returned to face him. They were the same height and Kate looked into his eyes plainly. "I thought you were meant to be clever." She said calmly when all inside she was bubbling up with embarrasment.

Sam looked her in the eye, "Not at this sort of stuff." he said simply. Still waiting for some sort of explanation. "Kate. I can't..I'm going with Jenna." he said quietly, he really didn't want to hurt her this way.

Kate looked plainly at him and replied, "I know that. That is why i didn't want to say. Look i have for ages. Your funny, clever and just amazing to me. You have been there for me when no one else could. You mean loads to me. That is why i am not going to the yule ball." She had made her mind up. She wasn't going to the Yule Ball, not now that the guy she fancied knew.

Sam frowned, he felt so guilty. He never knew. He never knew any of this. "Kate there is someone out there that would want to take you." he sai calmly, trying his best to keep his voice steady. "I mean. Your great! Funny, kind, beautiful." Sam paused, "But your like a sister to me." He knew that was going to hurt but he would have to get it cleared up.

Kate smiled warmly, tears sprang into her eyes and rolled softly down her cheeks. "Thanks Sam, but no one cares about me that much. No one." She repeated slowly. "You are like a brother to me as well, but well, but." She finished, not knowing when to continue. "One last dance?" She asked, hoping to change the subject and stood ready for a slow waltz.

Sam shook his head, "Kate don't say that. You'll find someone." Sam promised and he wiped the fresh cold tears running down her cheek with his warm hands. Sam nodde,d "Of coarse." Sam took up her hand and nodded. He started to lead the way in a slow waltz.

Kate sighed. "I don't want anyone else though. And all the boys in the school seem to be taken. Its just not fair. Because i am not one of the most prettiest in the school, i am terribly shy and don't talk much because i am shy, i just get pushed to last place. It is awful. And i don't like flying so no one takes an interest in me. Why?" She asked, this produced fresh tears and she joined in with the steady dancing, watching their feet as they nimbly moved around the open space of the North Tower.

After a few pearcing moments of silence Kate apologised, "I am sorry Sam. I shouldn't bother you with my problems. You will have enough on your plate with one girl let alone two. I am sorry that i took up your time and resulted in making you feel bad. Sorry." She stopped dancing, picked up her things and made for the door a second time. Something stopped her before she left and she stood, right by the door and let the waiting tears roll down her eyes. Turning around slowly she faced him. "I hope you have a good time at the Yule Ball." She said plainly and wiped away the tears.

Pulling herself together, she smiled at him and gave him a hug. "Thanks for being someone i could talk to. Now it seems there are none of my secrets left. I am sorry to bother you, its just that no one cares about me so i have to talk to someone and it just happened that you arrived. Goodbye Sam, it was nice to speak." She faintly added a weak smile that did not reach her eyes and turned to leave.

((The topic doesn't end here. dun dun dun... (Sam, continue the post please! hehe you know, like we discussed in the PM!) :r: ))

Sam shook his head, "Kate you don't know what your talking about." Sam tripped over his own foot after telling her this so he decided to stop. "Kate. You really have to stop putting yourself down like this. You don't deserve that and well...you deserve someone better than me..someone who will return your feelings." He paused and put his hand to her cheek, "He'll come along." Sam promised.

Sam then shook his head, "Don't say sorry. This isn't your fault. There is nothing to be sorry about." He did feel guilty but he'd get over it eventually. He was just sorry about her, she was a nice girl and didn't deserve the rejection. "Thanks.." he mumbled quietly when she wished him a good time.

He hugged her back softly."I care about you." he said to her in a soft whisper. As she turned to leave once more Sam walked quickly in front of her, blocking her exit. The way she had said goodbye made Sam think it was more than a goodbye for the day. This was a long-term thing. "Kate. Why are you saying goodbye?"

Sam looked at Kate confusion still covering his face. He wasn't believing anything she had just said. "Your an awful lair Kate." Sam said with a bit of a smile but then straightened up. "Why can't you just tell me." Sam asked her, he would listen and wouldn't say anything if she didn't want him to.

Sam laughed, "Kate?! Don't be ridiculous." Sam said he smiled, "Of coarse I'll have time for you. I get time for all my other friends. If I don't have time. I'll make time!" Sam promised her. Sam was slightly disheartened that she thought he wouldn't talk to her anymore.

Sam nodded quickly, "Of coarse." He took up her hand. "I promise!" he smiled before dropping her hand not wanting to send out the wrong idea.

Sam was glad he made her feel a bit better at least. "Anyways..why would you think that? We're in the same house. We were bound to meet each other either in the common room or the great hall." Sam shrugged, it was true. They'd see each toehr around.

Sam shrugged, "Yeah well. With us it'll be different." Sam promised once again. He really hoped he would keep these promises. "This isn't the end." Sam winked to her.

Kate smiled and winked back. "I sure hope you will be right for once." She half giggled. "Well, if you can find someone for me then be my guest, just tell me." She said quietly. "Otherwise, i will be morning in my dorm with my kitten whilst you, Jenna and many more will be dancing to your hearts content." She said softly, trying to make a joke about it.

That was a problem of his, Sam didn't have much guy friends. Besides the ones he knew already had dates but he was going to say that, "Sure thing. I'll have a good look." he said hopefully. Sam laughed when she said mourning, "You should go anyway Kate. Have fun with your friends." That was what most of the girls were doing in his year.

Kate shrugged. "What is the point of getting a dress for one occasion that i won't even dance in?" She dragged her foot along the ground and looked at it. How could she go and watch Sam and Jenna dancing away together? She wouldn't be able to do it. "Sam, my cousin James Hill is joining your year after the exams. Next term, please make him feel welcome. He has been through a lot, he is now an orphan because of one disease and he still isn't very confident. Will you, for me?" She asked and looked into his eyes.

Sam shrugged, "Okay then.." he wasn't going to force her into anything more. Sam then jumped to this oppourtunity, he had rejected Kate and would do anything to make up for it. Then he nodded, "Of coarse I will. Anything to help." Sam added thoughtfully.

Sam hugged her back, "Its cool don't worry. I got this." Sam said letting go of her. "So...was he here last year or what?" Sam asked her wanting to find out more about his 'future-friend'.

Kate smiled at Sam's coolness. "Well, he stayed a whole 1st year, then he found out about his dad. His mum died when he was 4. He left and is with my parents at the moment but decided he should come back to school. He was the youngest last year and so will fit in with your year. Professor King has spoken to him and agreed he can come back. I am just worried that with all of you boys together he won't fit in." She sighed and looked down at her feet. "I don't want him to get hurt at all. I feel that he has gone through enough without that."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back