Open I Don't Sleep

Emerson Griffith

💜Chill💜Optimistic💜Unobservant💜
OOC First Name
Steph
Wand
Knotted 14 1/2 Inch Unyielding Aspen Wand with Unicorn Hair Core
Emerson liked being at Hogwarts more than being at home. The school offered him much more to do, so much in fact he found sleeping to be rather difficult with the all the excitement built up in him. It was currently early in the morning and he had made his way out of his dorm and down to the arts room. He thought it might be fun to put some sort of craft together to give to Lucas, his friend in his dorm. He still wasn't too sure what Lucas liked and Emerson being a more quiet type never really found the best opportunity to ask. So he put his mind to make Lucas a seagull since he kind of thought it would be a funny animal to give his friend. He wasn't absolutely sure what the best material to make the bird out of would be but he used a couple of the mediums present in the room. He was currently using paper coated in glue to make the base frame of the bird with out stretched wings. The head kept tilting farther down than he wanted which was a bit annoying to the young boy. He hadn't even noticed when others started to come into the room. If he had he'd probably feel more self conscious about his work.

Lumio was always looking for something to do while in school. He was always searching for something else to do, searching for someone else to speak to. It was somewhat hard to make friends at Hogwarts, a little tricky to keep even with just the size of the school and the way they tended to have other things to do, but he’d come to the arts room and noticed one of the other students in his year - certainly not a gryffindor - who seemed to be doing something with what was in front of him. Lumio watched it for a moment and then decided he would speak to him. It was pretty early in the day, before most were really awake but Lumio had always been a somewhat early riser, ”Hey, watcha working on there?” he asked loudly approaching the other boy and attempting to get a little closer. It was certainly more intricate than anything Lumio might do, he certainly didn’t have the patience for such a thing.

Emerson jumped when someone started talking loudly to him. He was so caught off guard that he hardly picked up on the words. "I, uh, oh uhm," he mumbled as he looked from his poorly designed bird to the guy that was coming up to him. "I'm j,just making a bird for my roommate," he said feeling a bit silly now with the idea that he said it out loud. Why did Lucas remind him of a seagull again? He couldn't remember, maybe it was something about the early morning air that made he come up with such a goofy idea. "My name is Emerson," he said holding out his hand not even realizing a piece of paper was stuck with glue to a few of his fingers.

Lumio hadn’t really thought that someone would be surprised by him turning up but it was early and the boy had probably imagined that he’d be the only one around, but Lumio wasn’t really thinking about it, he was more curious about what the boy was making. ”That’s pretty awesome,” he commented looking at the bird that the boy, Emerson had been making. Lumio was always impressed with the arts and crafts of others, even if no one else was going to be. ”I’m Lumio,” he greeted loudly and happily taking the other boy’s hand and shaking it lightly. He noticed there was a little glue and paper on the other boy’s hand but he didn’t care about it. ”Why a bird?” he asked, perhaps there was a reason, and since it was so early it wasn’t like he had anywhere else to be, so why not ask more questions.

Emerson tried to shake the paper off but ended up having to pull at it a bit as well before trying to stick it to his weirdly forming bird. He couldn't remember what a seagull's head looked like so it was probably a little off looking. The wings weren't proportioned to each other either. Lumio was an interesting name, it made him think of the spell to make light appear at the end of your wand. He supposed his name was probably interesting sounding as well to Lumio so he decided to not make a comment about it. "Oh uh, he reminds me of one?" He said still sort of unsure what his reasoning had really been. Maybe, he thought to himself, he didn't really plan to give it but having a reason to be creative was always nice. "If it comes out well, I'll give it to him, but otherwise I'll probably throw it away," he said shrugging his shoulders lightly.

Lumio watched, unable to help the little grin as he watched Emerson attempt to shake off the paper, which clearly seemed more difficult than it would first appear. He looked at the creation and then back at this boy. He couldn’t imagine any of his roommates reminding him of birds...They hadn’t really appeared to be birds to him. Though really he hadn’t thought of any of them as birds, so perhaps because he hadn’t thought of it they didn’t to him appear to be birdesque. ”It’s good, I’m sure your roommate would like it,” he didn’t want the other boy to throw it away, though it had stuck to the boy’s fingers he thought it would be a waste to throw it away. ”I don’t know much about art or creativity but it looks good and i’m sure he’ll just like the thought,” Lumio said to him. ”My ma always says it’s the thought that counts.”

Emerson sort of half shrugged his shoulders he hadn't heard that phrase before, though maybe he had. But he hand't ever really tried to do something for someone that might be considered nice. "Where are you from Lumio?" He asked a bit suddenly changing the topic, but Emerson wasn't one to dwell on topics for too long otherwise they'd seem a bit boring. "I'm from England, from near Eastboourne in the south." The young kid found it interesting that people from all over the world came to this school. His mother and father both attended Hogwarts Scotland and they said back then you'd usually be accepted to the nearest school or a parent would home school you as a wizard/witch. But now it seemed like fair game on what school you might want to attend depending on what they excelled in, if you were accepted there at age 11 for most of the schools. He thought it was pretty neat, he also enjoyed seeing what it was like living on the other side of the world from home.

Lumio smiled at the question, ”Well, I was born in New Zealand, my mum’s italian and my dad’s kiwi, my mum and I go between New Zealand and Italy,” the boy returned to the question. He nodded as the boy said where he was from, he knew England but he didn’t know where Eastbourne was nor really how it being south related to the other things that it could be to things he did know. The boy thought it was cool that he’d come all the way around the world to go to school here, ”Do you have a sibling at the school here, or was it just where you wanted to go?” the gryffindor asked. He made sure at this point to properly pull up a chair and get himself fully paying attention to what Emerson was saying. Perhaps much like Lumio Emerson was from a split family, where some lived in one place and others lived elsewhere. It didn’t really go into his brother in all of this, since Lumio knew that his brother and that part of his family was always more complicated to understand.

Emerson nodded now hearing the two different accents in the boy's voice, though it made him wonder why just his mom and him went between the two places. Did his father not join for the trip's? He'd love to go to Italy, although he was really more interested in Asian cultures as they were very different from the one he knew in England or even here in New Zealand. "I'm the eldest, and I just wanted to go here I guess," Emerson said shrugging his shoulders a bit. He had applied to a few schools or rather his parents had for him but he got the final say and when his acceptance letter for Hogwarts New Zealand came he knew he wanted to attend the school. "My sister is a few years younger than me, she'll be along shortly I'm sure," he added thinking his sister would also decided to attend this school. He really couldn't see why she wouldn't. "And yourself?"

Lumio nodded, ”That’s cool! I wanted to come here too,” Lumio had had the offer of going to Beauxbatons but he had decided that he would rather come to New Zealand where his brother was, a place where he knew it somewhat. The gryffindor nodded as he said he had a sister, someone that would eventually come to school but was yet too young. He wondered what it was like to have a little sister, since all he had was an older brother. Though he was glad for his small and odd family ”I have a brother, Ajaccio, he’s a year older than me,” the boy said, ”He’s in Ravenclaw,” Lumio told him. He hadn’t mentioned going to and from Italy with his brother, and he was sure that Emerson might want to know why or at least be curious. ”Does your family still live in England?” he asked Emerson, since he hadn’t said anything about having moved to New Zealand, he could only think that it was due to him not having moved. Which he could understand, if he lived all of the time in italy, he wouldn’t move for school either. He’d just be able to use the magic to travel more easily and not have to worry about it.

Emerson found it interesting that Lumio had an older brother at the school. He wondered what it would be like to have a brother rather than a sister. He thought maybe he would have tried harder to be stronger. Beating his sister in fights were fairly easy he hadn't ever really thought about being the weaker one like he would if he had an older brother. They didn't fight too much but sometimes they would had a wrestle over something and he'd usually win. "Oh, yes they do live in England, I thought about going to Hogwarts there, but this one has more to offer I think," Emerson said still wondering if he had made the right decision in that regard. New Zealand was similar to England but it was quite different at the same time. All the season were reversed from what he was use to. After thinking about was Lumio had been saying something stuck out to him about his brother. "Is your brother not Italian as well?" He said thinking it was a better way to ask about the boy's family relations. Seemed odd if full blooded brother did not travel with them. But maybe this brother did not like Italy, although Emerson couldn't see why that would be the case. Italy seemed like a very nice and beautiful place.

Lumio nodded, he wasn’t sure he agreed that this one had more to offer, in reality he wasn’t sure what it offered that was better than the other school, his mind had never been on the other Hogwarts, that hadn’t been the school for him, but rather beauxbatons had. ”Oh really?” he asked, really meaning the question, he wouldn’t know if it was better or for why so maybe Emerson could explain it better than he ever could. Lumio then shook his head at the question, ”My brother is, my parents just most separated when we were young, my brother stayed with my dad and I stayed with my mum.” he thought it was a lot more explanation than he needed to give, ”They travel more, so they don’t often come to italy, and they don’t come to italy with us.” he then added, he knew that people found his brother’s life a little more interesting than his, though Lumio thought his brother’s life was just a bit too much. He liked the calm of his own. ”Do you travel much?”

Emerson wasn't quite too sure all the terms Lumio was saying. Separated? Is that like divorce he wondered. For his own family, his parents were still together and seemed to still love and he couldn't think of any of his uncles and aunt separating from his knowledge. He didn't quite have the same experience as his classmate. "Oh," he said unsure if it was something Lumio felt bad about. He wondered if his classmate saw much of his father then or not. If his parents weren't together and each had one of the sons did the sons get to see the other parent? It seemed maybe they didn't as his brother never went to Italy with Lumio and their mother. "Travel? No not much, sometimes we go up to London and to the wizardry shops there, otherwise we stay at home," Emerson admitted feeling not bad about his situation. He didn't mind the staying at home. One day it might be nice to see more of the world. They had gone on holiday a few times but not very often.

Lumio shrugged, he wasn’t too bothered about the fact his parents weren’t together, they weren’t officially divorced but for all that mattered really. He didn’t mind not travelling and barely seeing his father and he knew his brother felt the same way about his mother. He missed his brother somewhat and it did mean that for him he just was only now at school learning about who his brother was. It wasn’t ideal but it also wasn’t a bad thing. He was a little surprised that Emerson said he didn’t travel that much, though of course Lumio didn’t really either, he and his mother went between two countries and occasionally they went around the country itself but he could admit that they didn’t really travel, but it seemed to be a little more than Emerson did. ”Do you want to travel?” he couldn’t help but then ask, it wouldn’t matter his answer either way but he found himself just a little curious about what his answer would be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back