Half Blood
Relationship Status
Interested in Somebody
Sexual Orientation
Heterosexual
Wand
Curly 10 Inch Flexible Laurel Wand with Unicorn Hair Core
[Open after Ana]

Estella wasn't usually one to step outside of her comfort zone. There was a lot of pressure in needing to do things by herself that she had never done before, and she hoped that she wouldn't get lost as she roamed the seventh floor, her heart beating strongly against her chest as she did so. She needed to find her sister to see if she had somehow stolen her hairbrush again, but it was much too hard to find Evie in such a big castle. She knew the Gryffindor common room was up near the top somewhere and was determined to wait outside the common room until she inevitably showed up, but just didn't know where to find it. She hoped her hairbrush hadn't gone too far as she needed to brush her hair before bed tonight, and with the sun almost setting, she was beginning to become very worried. She was much too scared to approach anyone who passed at this point, especially since she was the only Hufflepuff that seemed to be up there, and so she simply walked around the floor like a lost chicken, hoping she could find her hairbrush soon.

Harper had always thought it rather unfair that her summer break was cut short while her muggle friends got a full six weeks. The three-month winter break was nice, but she'd rather have the entire summer off. Those days were meant to be spent outside in the sun. Harper couldn't quite replicate her usual summer schedule at Hogwarts, what with classes and other obligations, but that didn't mean she didn't try. After a quick dinner, she'd spent several hours outside, only returning to the castle as the sun started to set.

Compared to the warm glow of the setting sun, the inside of the castle was quite dark. Still, it was hard not to miss the figure who was walking around in circles on the seventh floor. At first, Harper thought it might be a lost first year, but she quickly realized it was one of her classmates, which piqued her curiosity. Maybe Estella was searching for a secret passageway? If that was the case, she was looking in the wrong place. (Harper had already searched the seventh floor top to bottom her first year). "Hey Estella." She gave the Hufflepuff a friendly smile. "Are you looking for something?"

Estella wasn't sure how much longer she could go before she gave up. She never liked giving up with anything, which was the main reason why she hadn't dropped any subjects yet. After all, her hairbrush was very important to her. It was very good at detangling and she hoped that she could just find the Gryffindor common room soon so she could ask her sister about it. As a class mate spoke to her, she tried her best to smile despite being panicked. "Hey Harper." she said. She had seen the girl many times in her classes and as far as she knew, she was nice. The Hufflepuff then beamed as she realised that Harper could help her. "You can help! I'm looking for my hairbrush, but first I need to find the Gryffindor common room so I can find my sister, but I can't go in there of course so I was just going to wait out front. Can you tell me where the Gryffindor common room is?" She wasn't sure how successful she was going to be in finding her hairbrush through her sister, but she thought it was a good start.

Harper was a bit disappointed that Estella was looking for a place as ordinary as the Gryffindor common room. She was also surprised that the other girl didn't know where it was. They were fourth years after all, and Harper had found all the other common rooms in her first month at Hogwarts. But maybe not everyone was as interested in exploring the castle as she was. "I'm actually headed over there right now, so you can just follow me," she offered.

"What's your sister's name?" Harper asked as she started to lead them down one corridor. She tried to remember whether she'd come across any Gryffindors who also had the last name Fuentes, but she was drawing a blank. "Do you think she's the one who took your hairbrush?" she asked, the corners of her lips tugging upwards in a faint smile. As someone with a sister (and three other brothers), Harper was very used to dealing with siblings who had no respect for one's personal belongings.

Estella smiled as Harper said she was on her way to the common room and could follow her there. She never usually spoke to some of the Gryffindors, as in her experience they weren't usually that nice, but Harper was definitely proving herself and perhaps she was so far Estella's favourite Gryffindor. "Thanks!" the Hufflepuff exclaimed, following her as she went down a corridor. "Her name is Evie. Brown hair, I guess sort of looks like me. We don't have the same mother, but we have the same father." Estella wasn't sure how many people knew that, but was determined to make it known. After all, she didn't want people to think she was fully related to the brat. "Oh yes, well she mostly always does. I don't know how she could have stolen it this time, since it was in my dormitory, but this is the first time it's been stolen whilst I have been at Hogwarts, and if that's not suspicious then I don't know what is." Estella explained. "Do you have any sisters that always steal your belongings? Or am I just unlucky?"

Harper tilted her head to the side, considering the name, before shrugging. "Don't think I know her." There were a lot of Gryffindors, and while Harper might have been able to recognize faces, she definitely didn't know all their names — especially those of the younger students. She smiled as Estella explained the situation. "That would be pretty impressive if she managed to sneak into your dorm without being noticed." Harper herself had always wondered what the other common rooms looked like (and she'd often been tempted to ask her friends in other houses to let her peek inside), but Hogwarts seemed to be very strict about keeping students out of houses they didn't belong to.

"Maybe one of your roommates borrowed it? Did you try accio-ing it?" she asked. Harper thought that was a bit more likely than someone successfully breaking into Hufflepuff. At Estella's question, she laughed lightly. "Yeah, one little sister. She's eleven. We share a room back home, and for a while, I just gave up on the idea that I'd get anything to myself. She's a bit better about it now, but I think that's just because she doesn't think I have anything worth stealing." They had vastly different interests, and while Lila was not above poking through her stuff, Harper knew she didn't have much that could tempt her sister.

Estella couldn't help but be glad when Harper said she didn't know her sister. "Well, be glad you don't. She's a dragon freak." she told her seriously, finding it weird that someone would devote most of their life to a creature that they couldn't even bring inside their house. She hoped that Harper didn't also like dragons however, as that would definitely make her like her less. The Hufflepuff thought for a moment when Harper said it would be pretty impressive for Evie to break into her dorm without being noticed. "I know, but it's worth a shot asking her at least." She sighed. "I don't know, I'm just frustrated and really want to find it... I guess my father is right - I really love blaming things on her."

At the mention of some other ways it might have gone missing, Estella nodded, but also found it a little disgusting if someone was sharing her hair brush. The only person she would let steal her hair brush was Rose, and probably Ana, but she knew that both of them would ask before touching it. "No, I haven't tried Accio-ing it. I'm not that good at magic and I always think about what might happen if I stuff up. Is that normal?" Estella chuckled as she realised that was probably a poor excuse. Magic existed for a reason, and so she should definitely start having a go at it. She listened as Harper spoke about her younger sister. "Will she be attending Hogwarts next year? I couldn't imagine sharing a room with my younger sister... that's definitely a nightmare." she told her. "I'm sorry." Estella frowned, feeling a little bad now about ranting about her own sister.

Harper chuckled at Estella's description of Evie. "What's so bad about dragons?" she asked, wondering if Estella had something against the creatures or if the issue was just that her sister was obsessed with them. The nature of Estella's relationship with Evie was quickly becoming very clear, and Harper had to hide her amusement. "Isn't that what siblings are for?" she joked, when Estella mentioned using her sister as a scapegoat. Harper had shifted blame to her brothers countless times when she was younger, though in her defense, it usually was their fault.

At Estella's question, Harper shrugged. "I don't know, I usually just go for it and assume it'll work out. A more cautious approach is probably smarter," she admitted. "But I haven't had any spells backfire horribly yet." Truth be told, Harper had never even considered the possibility of spells going disastrously wrong. She approached magic the same way she did life — with a healthy dose of reckless optimism.

The conversation turned to her own sister, and Harper shook her head. "She's a muggle." The words had long since lost their sting though Harper still wished her sister could attend Hogwarts with her. She laughed lightly at Estella's apology, assuming the Hufflepuff was expressing sympathy for her rooming situation. "It's not that bad. It's only for a few months every year, and I've learned to deal with it. Honestly, sometimes I think I like having her as a roommate better than sharing a dorm with a dozen other people." Harper liked most of her roommates, but as a group, they could still be a lot.

Estella shrugged at Harper's questions about dragons. "Nothing really, it's just weird how she's so involved in them. It's more of a boy thing, don't you think?" she told her, wondering if she agreed. She would rather her sister be interested in something that girls actually liked, like fairies or butterflies. At times she wondered if she actually had a sister or a brother. The Hufflepuff chuckled at Harper's words. "I guess so. But sometimes I'd rather be an only child." she said truthfully, not feeling like siblings were that important. After all, she had her friends to spend time with and her sister was just an annoying person who lived with her.

Estella listened as Harper explained to her how she approached magic. The Hufflepuff wished she could also care less about things sometimes. "Well that's good. I just think I overthink a little too much." she admitted. She listened as Harper spoke about her sister. Estella truthfully hadn't met too many muggle-borns yet, or at least muggle-borns that she knew of, and she thought that was rather interesting. Estella loved muggles, especially the way they used technology, and suddenly thought that perhaps she had made a good friend now. "Oh, so you're a muggle-born. Do you have a laptop? I have a laptop, but I have no idea how to use it. I've taken muggle studies so I can learn, but maybe you can teach me." she said with a smile, suddenly glad that she was having this conversation with Harper. At the mention of the people in Harper's dorm, Estella couldn't help herself. "Oh, yeah. Between you and me, I don't really like some of the Gryffindors in our year. I like being in Hufflepuff. Everyone there is much nicer."

Estella's response surprised her. "I don't think there's anything wrong with liking boy things." Harper had spent her whole life hearing people tell her that many of her interests were more appropriate for boys, which was ridiculous. Of course girls could like sports or science or spy novels. And she didn't see why a girl couldn't like dragons as well. At Estella's next comment, Harper just made a noncommittal noise, tamping down the familiar stirrings of discomfort and jealousy that always came up when she heard people at Hogwarts talk negatively about their siblings. After several years away from her own siblings, Harper would give anything to have them join her in the magical world.

Harper had always been fairly open about her blood status, but she always experienced a moment of wariness after disclosing her muggle background, unsure how the other person would respond. She definitely hadn't expected Estella's reaction. "Yeah, I have a laptop," she said, eyes glittering with amusement at Estella's excitement. "I can definitely teach you. It's not that hard." It was still difficult to believe there was an entire population that didn't know how to use a computer or a phone. "What do they even teach in muggle studies?" she asked curiously. At Estella's comment about the Gryffindors in their year, Harper raised an eyebrow before laughing. "You've been hanging out with the wrong Gryffindors. Most of them are really nice and a lot of fun." She could think of two, maybe three, exceptions, but for the most part. Harper liked her dormmates and counted some of them among her closest friends. "Hufflepuff's not a bad house though. I have a couple friends in there."

Estella noticed a little bit of disagreement from Harper as the Hufflepuff spoke about Evie. People were entitled to their own opinions, and whilst Estella didn't mean to make Harper feel bad or negatively, she didn't regret what she said. Sometimes she wished she had friends that she couldd have friendly debates with, but unfortunately some people just weren'tt bothered to have intelligent conversations like that.

The Hufflepuff listened as Harper spoke about her own laptop, excited as she said she could help her learn how to use it. "Oh that would be so good! They don't work at Hogwarts, but we can maybe meet up during the holidays one time. I'm sure my father will let me visit the muggle world." she said, happy that she found someone willing to help her. "In muggle studies we learn about atoms, and also about muggle schools and muggle currencies. Nothing about technology yet." Estella was sure that eventually they would learn about it, but was much too impatient to wait. She figured it was one of the harder topics. She listened as Harper said she had been hanging out with the wrong Gryffindors. "Maybe I have been, who knows. I will always think Hufflepuff is the best house though."

Harper always found it amusing to hear the way some magical people spoke about the normal world. It was strange to think of the "muggle world" as a place to visit; to Harper, it was the world. She couldn't imagine closing herself off in just the magical parts. That sounded incredibly isolating. "Yeah, sure! I live outside Auckland. Where are you from?" She didn't really get a chance to visit other Hogwarts students during the breaks since most of her friends lived in other cities, and her parents couldn't afford the plane tickets needed to see them. But if Estella had access to magical transportation, Harper was happy to meet up.

"That's a pretty wide range of topics," she observed. "So is it kind of like a combination of a science class and a 'muggle culture' class?" she asked, using air quotes since she wasn't sure she believed there was one defining culture that covered all muggles. Being a muggleborn, Harper had written off Muggle Studies as a useless elective, but the mention of studying atoms was intriguing. She sometimes missed her old science classes; there was a logic to them that she hadn't found in magic. At Estella's claim that Hufflepuff was the best house, Harper chuckled. "Well you're in Hufflepuff, so I'd be surprised if you didn't think that." Most people she'd met had at least some house pride.

Last edited:
Estella was glad that Harper was on board with them seeing each other over the holidays. She loved meeting up with friends outside of Hogwarts and was looking forward to it. "Oh cool, I live near Makutu Mall in Picton. I can travel to you. My father will take me." she said with a smile. She had never been to Auckland before and was excited to see the muggle world there. She wondered if the muggle world varied depending on where they lived. She knew countries were different to each other, but were cities different as well?

At Harper's question, Essie just shrugged. "Yeah, I guess so. Hopefully we will learn a little more soon." she told her. She had expectations for it to be similar to muggle education, but unfortunately it was a little all over the place so far. "Yeah, you're right." Estella said, giggling a little at the Gryffindor's statement. She couldn't help but be a little biased sometimes. "So, do you think you'll be able to take me into the common room or would I just have to wait outside?" she asked, a little more eager to find her hair brush now.

Harper smiled as Estella offered to travel to her city. "Wow, so you're really close to the school. Do you ever visit home during the Brightstone weekends?" She knew that older students could take the ferry to Makutu Mall; she'd done it herself a few times. But she wasn't sure how common it was for students from Brightstone or Picton to visit friends and family who lived in the area. Most of Harper's friends seemed to live further away, like her.

Estella didn't sound that excited about either the science or culture parts of the class, which Harper supposed she could understand. "Technology is one of the coolest parts of the muggle world," she agreed. In a way, technology was the muggle equivalent of magic. It made sense that was what wizards were most interested in. She gave Estella a confused look when the other girl asked if she could enter the common room. "I thought we're not allowed to enter other houses' common rooms?" Harper was pretty sure that was a strict rule. Otherwise, she would have convinced Hunter or Lillith to let her poke around Hufflepuff ages ago. "Your sister's Evie, right? What year is she in? I can get her."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back