Home for Winter Break

Blake squeezed Lily's hand gently, then led her through the living room, only glancing back to catch another glimpse of the strangely familiar looking man. Once they were in the kitchen, well away from his mother, Blake turned back to Lily. "I'm so sorry about that. My mother can be..." he did not finish his sentence as he thought it best to keep his comments to himself. "I didn't think she would act like that," Blake added, narrowing his eyes to no one in particular.
"Are you hungry?" he asked as he wrapped his arms around her.

Joshua couldn't believe the mouth on Blake. He was so rude. What is his problem? I can't believe that Cloe let's him talk like that. He caught her wide eyed look, knowing she was not sure how to deal with this situation. He wasn't sure what to do either, except be able to support Cloe. Joshua did notice the odd look Lily gave him, like she noticed something about him. He watched as they left the room, then walked over to Cloe to give her a hug. "Things will be okay. This Lily won't keep him busy the whole time he is here. Ever notice that he looks just like me when I was his age."

Lily smiled as Blake put his arms around her. She had not eaten since breakfast at school, and was kinda hungry. "I guess I could eat. Are you hungry too?"

Cloe felt her heart sink as Joshua hugged her, "I just still don't understand him anymore. I'm sure things were fine before..." she said, the sides of her mouth curling into a frown. "He's just as handsome as his father," she added, placing her hand on his cheek.

"Starving," Blake replied as he moved toward the fridge. "Let's see what we have..." Skimming through the fridge, all Blake could find were sealed packages of salads, an empty carton of milk, a half eaten sandwich and what appeared to be mouldy cheese. "Yuk! I swear my mother strives too much on eating out. She absalutely sucks at cooking so she doesn't bother buying anything you can cook!" Blake said, closing the fridge hastily. "Let's go eat out," he suggested, turning to face Lily.

"Okay. I am up for that. If you want, we could go to the store after and I can cook for us later. I actually am kind of a good cook." Lily replied smiling, leaning close to give him a quick kiss on the lips. "Where are we heading too?"

Joshua looked Cloe in the eyes and kissed her fervently. He pulled away shortly though, not wanting to clue the two children in too much to their relationship. He figured they were suspicious already. "Shall we go interrupt the darling couple?" he asked with a devilish grin. "We can play the game. He drops the surprise on you of his girlfriend, we can make sure they don't get any time alone." He winked at her, then waited for her to lead the way to where the children would be.

"There is a supper market nearby, trick is getting my mother to allow us to go," Blake replied. Taking her hand into his, he led her from the kitchen and through the dull living room. There was no Christmas tree set up in the living room, nor were there any decorations to reflect any hint of Christmas spirit. But Blake did not notice the lack of Christmas decorations. Their family did not celebrate Christmas in the way most families would.
As Blake led Lily into the foyer of the house, his eyes quickly darted away from his mother who seemed to be having a personal moment with Joshua. "We're going to go buy some things," he said loudly.

Cloe jumped away from Joshua, her face reddening. "Wh-at? Supper market? No no, you two can't go alone," she replied, biting her lower lip in nervousness. Cloe was affraid of Blake's reaction toward her and Joshua. Things weren't going according to plan. "Um... Why don't Joshua and I come with you?"

"No, Lily and I will be fine... Plus, I'm sure you're busy," Blake replied, flicking his eyes from his mother to Joshua.

"No. We are not busy at all. Why don't we all get going then." Joshua headed over to the closet and got out Lily's and Blake's coats. He noticed that Lily was in Ravenclaw from her scarf that was tucked into the coat pocket. "So, Lily. I see that you are a Ravenclaw. I was a Ravenclaw myself at Hogwarts England. Are you a first year as well?" He handed each of them their coats, hoping to turn the situation to their favor.

Lily took her coat, looking a bit like a deer caught in the headlights. She threw a puzzled look in Blake's direction, then answered the question. "Um, yeah, I am in Ravenclaw. But I am a second year. I just made the cut off to enter for the year. My birthday is at the very end of the Spring Semester." She put on her coat and scarf, looking over to Blake to see what he thought of this.

Joshua tried to keep from smiling at Lily and Blake's reactions to his jumping right in on the trip to the store. Part of it was that he had never been to a muggle store before, so he was actually curious of what it was like. Joshua took out his cloak and swung it around his shoulders quickly before taking Cloe's coat out as well. He walked over to her and held it up for her to put on. "So, Blake, what house are you in? Are you a Ravenclaw as well?"

Grudgingly, Blake took his coat from Joshua, rolling his eyes in the process. However nice Joshua seemed, Blake did not want to like him. He was content with his hatred for the man and would not waver his decision.
"No, I'm in Slytherin," Blake replied in a disdainful manner. "Like my dad," he added, directing his words at Cloe.

"Blake, that's enough," Cloe said firmly, suppressing the urge to yell. She would not allow him to keep treating Joshua and herself with such strident disrespect. "Joshua is our guest and you will treat him dignity."
Taking her coat from Joshua, Cloe put it on silently before she spoke again, "Now, how will we be travelling?"

Blake avoided his mother's gaze, angrier at her for ignoring his comment about his father. Why was she acting like he never existed? He did not understand how she could so easily forget her husband, even if he was dead. "Whatever," he answered simply.

"Not far, maybe a couple of blocks," Blake said, surprised that he had been the one to answer Joshua's question.

Joshua looked at Blake with a raised eyebrow. Maybe he is starting to come around a bit and at least not instantly hate me. he thought. "Okay, so we shall walk. Blake, would you and Lily like to lead the way?" He threw a smile at Cloe, figuring they would be able to drop back a bit so the children can talk, and they could still keep an eye on them.

Lily gave a surprised look to Blake as he spoke to Joshua without any sarcasm in his voice. She smiled and said, "I'm ready. Let's go!"

Cloe too was surprised by Blake's sudden change toward Joshua, but she only hoped it would not be temporary. "Alright, let's go," she said opening the door for them.

Joshua headed out the door to the sidewalk. He waited for the rest of the party to join him. I wonder exactly what Blake is up to. I may only have met him a very little while ago, but he really is alot like me.

Blake stepped out after Joshua, still eyeing him peculiarly as though he were up to something. Looking over his shoulder, he smiled back at Lily and held out his hand for her to hold.

Lily stepped out from the house and took Blake's hand. She smiled up at him and then snuggled close. It was cold out and she could use that as an excuse if anyone called her on the movement.

Cloe eyed her son and Lily as they held hands, quickly averting her gaze as she shuffled passed the pair and made her way to Joshua. "What do you think?" she whispered to him, nodding over in Blake and Lily's direction. "He's far too young to have a girlfriend!" she hissed under her breath.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back