Home for Winter Break

Cloe Lestrange

i6m35j.jpg

As the cold breeze blew over the street, the pedestrians hurried off on their way, all eager to meet the warm comforts of their homes. Even the passing cars seemed to bustle by quicker, the drivers lacking their usual slowness.
A muggle family of four, cheerful in their Holiday spirit, had been rolling snow balls around the lawn. Intent on creating three perfect sized balls to form their perfect snowman, they were oblivious to the stony gaze of a stranger from the house across the street.
Cloe had been peering out her kitchen window for the past half hour, observing her muggle neighbors as they rolled around in the snow in fits of laughter, basking in their uselessness in lacking magical ability.
However snide her thoughts were toward the happy family, Cloe felt emptier as she came closer to the blunt realisation that the happy family should have been hers. She would not have had to succumb to allowing her son a guest over just so that she, in return, could see her only son again. Her home was broken.
Snapping the curtain shut, Cloe regained her posture and made her way out of the kitchen and up the staircase. She had spent most of the day cleaning the house again and again, absorbed in making things perfect for the two important men in her life. Joshua would be arriving soon, as well as Blake and his friend whom he had failed to provide any information about. Including their first name.
Turning the knob of Blake's bedroom door, Cloe stepped in and recounted her steps, making sure she hadn't forgotten to clean out something, or left anything incomplete. She wanted Blake's homecoming to be perfect, as it would be one he was sure to remember.

Two beds had filled the normally spacious room. Cloe had gotten the house elf Toby to move the spare bed from the basement, into Blake's room, as Joshua would be staying in the guest room. She didn't want her son to suspect anything going on between her and Joshua, although his mere presence was altogether suspicious. Still, Cloe was certain on taking things slow for Blake's sake, while at the same time being able to have the company of the both of them. She did not want to be seemingly rushing ahead herself, and accidentally telling Blake that who he thought his father was, was in fact his step father. And that the man now occupying their guest room was indeed his real father.
With an apprehensive sigh, Cloe closed the door again and proceeded to checking every inch of the house.

Joshua had spent a better part of the day packing up for the holiday at Cloe's house. He knew that this was the home she had shared with her husband. He was a tad bit apprehensive of this fact. He was not sure what to expect. He was really hoping that there would not be the happy family pictures all over the house of Blake and the man he thought was his father, but knew that he should be ready in case of that.

He apparated to the area that Cloe had informed him to and took out the piece of parchment with the directions on how to arrive at the house. He walked down the snowy streets with his bag over his shoulder. He arrived quickly at the home, watching as he walked closer the family building a snowman across the street. As they put the final touches on the figure, Joshua climbed the steps and rang the bell.

Cloe had been shuffling back the curtains of her room when the door bell rang. She knew it was Joshua, as Blake would have let himself in. Cloe's heart doubled over and she quickly straightened herself up, tying her blonde hair back neatly.
Quickly making her way down the stairs, Cloe tip-toed at the door to peer through the spy-hole. A wide smile broke over her face as she stepped back and opened the door mirthfully.
"Directions weren't too hard to follow then?" she greeted him slyly, pulling him through the doorway to plant a warm kiss on his lips.

Joshua kissed Cloe back fervently. "Not hard to follow at all. So has he arrived with his friend yet or did I beat them here?" He was wondering if there were any eyes they needed to be aware of before he kissed Cloe any more.

Joshua handed over his cloak. He followed Cloe towards the closet, and as she closed the door, he spun her around and pinned her against the wall. "Good. That means I have enough time to do this." He hungrily kissed Cloe with a passion that had been hidden for years.

Cloe pulled away shortly from Joshua's kiss, a wide smile spread across her face, "Come. Let's just get you settled in before they arrive. The guest room is this way."
Grabbing hold of Joshua's free hand, Cloe led him up the stairs and to the first room on the right. Turning the golden knob of the door, she stepped in still tugging Joshua by the hand. "So, we haven't really agreed yet on a proper time period in which we should break the news to Blake," Cloe said, releasing her hold on Joshua's hand to plop down ontop of the guest bed. "As we already discussed before, telling Blake too early would probably make him reluctant towards you. In that case, I guess I would prefer he get to know you first, and hopefully grow fond of you. Then we tell him together."

Joshua smiled as he followed Cloe up the stairs. Wicked thoughts ran through his head as they entered his room, but he was not going to act on them just yet. Blake was due home any time and that would not make a great first impression. He instead began to unpack his things. "I think that we should play things by ear. Telling him too soon would be a mistake, I agree. Let's see how Blake reacts to me first off, and then work up to telling him who I really am." Josh finished unpacking the bag he had brought with him and stored it on the closet floor. "So, want to give me a quick tour before they arrive?"

"Well, there's not much to see but I guess I might as well," Cloe said, making her way over to the door. Once she was out into the hallway, she walked Joshua through the basics.
"That's the bathroom straight on your left, but we also have one downstairs. And then Blake's room is right across the hall from yours," she said, stopping at each room in turn. "I would show you inside his room, but he's got a lot of... personal things," Cloe finished, knowing that showing Joshua the various family portraits Blake kept was probably not the best of idea.

293he0l.jpg

"This is my bedroom," she finished pausing at the last door at the end of the hall. Opening the door of her bedroom, Cloe allowed Joshua the choice of entering or not. Fortunately, Cloe had long since put away all the photos of her late husband, so the only pictures in her room were ones of Blake and herself.

Joshua made note of which rooms were behind the different doors as they made their way down the hallway. When Cloe opened her bedroom door, Joshua walked in and took a look around. "This is really a nice place you have," he said as he looked around at the pictures. He was glad to see that they were all of Cloe and Blake or just of Blake. He was not sure he would be able to handle seeing the man that had raised his son just yet. He pulled her close and whispered in her ear. "I have so many ideas right now so we better get out of here or Blake will be finding way to many things out when he gets here." He looked at her with a devilish grin, and took her hand to lead her downstairs.

Outside on the snow covered path, Blake stepped out from the taxi he and Lily had caught. Holding the door open for Lily, Blake took the neighborhood into view. Although he had convinced himself that he prefered being at Hogwarts, he had to admit that he did indeed miss being home.
"We're here!" he said to Lily, smiling brightly at her.

Lily stepped from the taxi and looked around the neighborhood. It was alot like the one that she lived in when she was home. There was even a snowman built across the street. She smiled at Blake. "Wow. This is a really nice neighborhood." She took her bag from the taxi and took a deep breath. She was nervous to meet his mom, but she was with Blake and that was going to make this all the easier.

"Yeah, not many wizarding families around here though. My parents wanted a different location from the usual magical society built ones," Blake replied helpin the taxi driver unload their trunks. "Thanks," Blake added, handing the man muggle money as payment for his service.
Picking up his trunk in one hand and Lily's in the other, Blake straggled to the front porch, then dropped both trunks with a loud thud before the door. "Come on in," Blake added, openning the door for Lily then dragging the trunks in after her.

Lily walked through the open door and took off her Ravenclaw scarf. She glanced around, realizing this looked alot like the home of one of her friends back in the States. She turned around to see Blake dragging in their trunks. "Oh, goodness, let me help you with those!" She started to drag her trunk into the room. "Where are we going with these?"

(((oops. forgot that i didn't purchase a hat yet. lol)))

As Joshua led her down the stairs, Cloe spotted Blake dragging his trunk in through the open door. Quickly dropping Joshua's hand, Cloe stopped at the foot of the stairs. "Blake! You're here!" she said enthusiastically. "Where is your fri-..." Cloe stopped talking abruptly as she saw a girl drag in her own trunk after Blake. "Why-Who is this?" Cloe asked no one in particular, her lips pursed in surprise.

"Just leave them here by the closet," Blake answered Lily, just as he looked up to see his mother being led down the stairs by an unfamiliar man. Narrowing his eyes, Blake dragged his trunk in further, pretending he had not noticed the two holding hands. Once she had called his name, Blake looked up with narrowed eyes, glaring at the man.
"Hey mum," Blake said quickly. "Uh... this is Lily Po-*cough*, the friend I said I would be bringing over," Blake said, quickly covering up Lily's last name, not wanting his mother to already start holding out a grudge against her just because of her surname.

Lily noticed the surprise on Blake's mother's face. She hoped that she had caused the reaction that Blake had wanted. Then she noticed the man with his mom. "Looks like you were right." she whispered to Blake so his mom wouldn't hear. "Hello Mrs. Zepline. Very nice of you to have me for the holiday." She knew that she had changed back to her maiden name, but she had no idea what it was. This was easy enough to claim ignorance on.

Joshua was walking down the stairs with Cloe when the door opened and two people walked in. The boy was dragging two trunks, while the girl was looking around. He looked at Cloe for her reaction, he knew that she was not expecting this. He stood back, looking at his son for the first time. The son that had been raised in this house by another man. He shook off the thought, and then moved down the stairs. He looked at Blake, and realized just how much he took after him. Same hair, same eyes, same build. This may be harder to conceal than they had thought. He waited for Cloe to introduce him before saying anything. What was that girl's last name? Seems like he is hiding something. She must be a muggleborn then. Ugh. I will have to teach him to keep his bloodline pure.

"Madam Lestrange," Cloe corrected the girl, her voice hallow. "I had not expected you to bring a... a girl, Blake," she said, looking back at her son. Pausing for a brief moment, Cloe's lips pursed again. "But no matter, no matter," she said, fixing her expression to a rather pleasant one.
Upon seeing the look Blake was giving Joshua, Cloe stepped between the two, "Blake, this is Joshua Hanson. He is an old friend of mine, the one I mentioned to you."
Feeling rather uncomfortable by the look Blake was giving Joshua, Cloe quickly summoned Toby the house-elf.
"Toby, take these trunks up to Blake's bedroom," pausing mid-speech, Cloe shook her head then continued, "And then come back down and set up the living room couch for Blake to be sleeping on, as our guest will be staying in Blake's room, alone."
"Yes, Ma'am," Toby croaked as he apparated away with the two trunks at hand.

"She has a name!" Blake said rudely to his mother, finally tearing his gaze away from Joshua, ignoring the introduction. "I thought you had prepared the guest room for Lily," Blake added hotly.

Cloe's eyes widened at Blake's tone of voice. She had not expected him to have acted at all rude to him in any way. Pulling on a fake smile, Cloe turned back to the girl, "I'm sorry, Lily was it? It's a... pleasure to meet you too."
Giving Joshua a sideways glance, Cloe's eyes were fixed in questioning look. She did not understand why her son was being rude to Joshua, and most of all to her. Had she done something to upset him?
At Blake's question regarding the guest room, Cloe fumbled with words to explain that, Joshua would be staying there for the holiday. "Well, you see... I invited Joshua to spend the holiday with us, and seeing as he lives pretty far away, I offered him a place to stay, for a while," Cloe explained. "But since I prepared your room for the... two of you, I think it best that you sleep on the couch instead," she suggested, smiling weakly at Blake.

Lily's face flushed as she was corrected on Blake's mother's last name. Wow. She doesn't handle surprises well at all. She noticed how Blake glared at the man in the room, saddened that they were correct that it was a male friend. It was most likely this was his mother's new boyfriend that they were meeting. She felt bad for Blake, this was what he was afraid of. "If you want, I can sleep on the couch Blake. I would not want you to have to give up your room." she said, not sure how anyone would react.

"No, it's fine Lily. I don't mind sleeping on the couch," Blake replied, flashing Lily an encouraging smile. He felt absalutely horrible and embarrassed about the way his moher was acting toward Lily. "Um... let's take a tour around the house now, shall we Lily?"

Lily smiled at Blake and took his hand. "Sure thing. Lead the way." She knew that she probably should not have taken his hand in front of his mother like that, but she thought that it would help establish they were a couple to her. Maybe she would back off then. She looked then at the man that was in the room. Odd that this guy has the same color eyes as Blake. She shrugged it off, thinking she was just imagining things.

Cloe's eyes widened as Lily took Blake's hand. She bit her lip not wanting to say what she was thinking, in case Blake fired at her again. Averting her gaze from the two, she glanced at Joshua with wide eyes. They had not planned for there to be a girl roaming about the house, more specifically Blake's girlfriend. Lily was sure to have Blake's attention, and any plans she had made to try and help Joshua build a proper relationship with the son he had never met, seemed to be floating out the open door.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back