OOC First Name
Kris
Blood Status
Muggle
Relationship Status
Married
Sexual Orientation
October
Sia knew she had no reason to be nervous today. Not really. She and October had been through much worse lately and still (eventually) managed okay and yet she still couldn't help fret as she checked over the spread in the backyard one last time. Admittedly she'd probably be a lot less anxious if Sully hadn't declared himself in charge of decorations and kept waving his wand around. So far he'd mostly just succeeding in erecting a collection of fairy lights and making his stupid wand make several popping sounds while René watched, enthralled, but Sia didn't have time to supervise everything when October's family was surely just about to arrive.

"Oh God, what if her Dads are vegetarian? Can werewolves be vegetarian?" Sia mumbled, waving off Dad's concerned look from where he was starting up the grill. Her parents had taken the whole werewolf thing rather well, though Sia could already tell Sully and René were bursting with what had to be inappropriate questions. October had mentioned her sister was coming too though, so with any luck, between the three of them, they could run enough interference to avoid Sia completely ballsing it up in front of October's parents. And if all else failed she could go bury her head in the salad bowl or something.

October didn't remember the last time she had been this nervous. An impressive feat, considering that she was working in a field that involved dancing in front of several thousand people on a regular basis. She had never been in a relationship serious enough to meet the other person's parents before, and combining the experience with her own parents being here hardly made things easier. She felt like she had repeated the same reminders to her father a thousand times about being polite to muggles, advice he had taken well enough that it had taken October a long time to remember that he had once thought he was dating a muggle for several years. She appreciated that at least her nerves didn't seem to be affecting her dad, though she couldn't help fussing for longer than was necessary with her hair before leading the way around to the Tofilaus backyard, beaming at the sight of Sia. However unsure she was about the rest of this whole thing, she could be certain at least of the woman she was embarking on this mission of an afternoon with.

"Hi!" October said brightly as she made her way over to Sia, giving her a quick hug and kiss before turning back to the rest of her family. "These are my dads, Kyle and Matt, and my stepsister April." She grinned nervously, gesturing to each person in turn. "And this is my girlfriend Sia." She added, lacing her fingers with Sia's. This whole event was terrifying, but she was clinging desperately to the hope that with Sia by her side, everything would work out.

Kyle didn't know if he would ever adjust to how fast his daughters had grown up. He had watched them go from ballet best friends to hard-working Hogwarts students, and now they were young women, out there in the world starting their adult lives. He knew from what little she told him of her life at Hogwarts that October had had a bad time with love in the past, and it had been an overwhelming relief at first to hear about her relationship with Sia, going from strength to strength. And then... Kyle hadn't gotten all of the details, but he knew there had been a rough patch, and he was overwhelmingly relieved that things seemed to be back on track now. He didn't think he had ever seen his daughter as happy as she was when she talked about Sia, a thought that both made him happy for her and reminded Kyle that he still had failings as a father to make up for. Though they had come a long way repairing their damaged relationship, Kyle would never stop feeling like he had work to do, and days like today were some of the best chances he had to be a better father to October.

So he had gotten up early to spend the morning in the kitchen, a tray of lamingtons and muffins heavy in his arms as he followed October to the Tofilaus home, giving his best smile as he was faced with a yard full of strangers, all of whom he knew he needed to impress. He couldn't keep the fondness off his face as October approached a girl he assumed was Sia, relieved to see the happiness on her face. This was how it should always be. He nodded once when October introduced them, smiling at Sia. "It's nice to meet you at last, we've heard wonderful things." He said warmly. "I brought muffins and lamingtons, is there somewhere I should put them?"

René hadn't really cared much about having a BBQ with Sia's girlfriend. He'd already met October before and while René liked that he was taller than her, he didn't really see much else to be excited about. Truth be told he'd rather be back in his room catching up on all the games and movies he'd missed while at school, but Dad had made him promise to try and be social for a minute.

The incentive to stay had jumped up ten fold though when Sia had awkwardly sat them all down to explain about one of October's dad. A werewolf. René had heard about them a bit at school but he couldn't imagine actually getting to meet one in person. Everyone at school was gonna be so jealous. René scrambled to his feet when the Alcott-Ward's finally arrived, brushing grass off his pants from where he'd been sprawled watching Sully try to decorate and doing his best not to boggle too obviously at the man standing with October. He had to be a werewolf, he was tiny like October, but the subtle scars René could see peeking out of his collar and on his face were too wolf-y to not be. "I can take them!" He offered enthusiastically, bounding up the werewolf, not sure if he was Matt or Kyle, but not turning down the catch to get a closer look as he took the plate from the man. "Hi, I'm René," he said breathlessly, leaning a little closer as he took the plate, trying to see how many scars he could count before he caught Sia's warning look and slunk back, giving the guy a sheepish smile.

April was excited about today. She was very curious to meet October's girlfriend, who she didn't know a whole lot about aside from their fight a while ago that had left October in tears. She was glad the two had made up but still felt a little wary of the girl who had hurt her sister so much. She followed her dads happily, glad she had stolen a muffin earlier as she had been feeling pretty hungry. October introduced her to Sia and April waved at her brightly. "Hi!" She said, taking in the girl for a moment. She was very pretty. A young boy came and offered to take the muffins and lamingtons from her dad, and April grinned at him. "The muffins are good." She said in a stage whisper.

Matt never felt entirely at ease in new social situations, but he was excited to meet October's girlfriend and her family. He was happy October had found someone who was special to her, she deserved something good in her life. She knew it was something October had struggled with while in school, as even professors weren't completely immune to student gossip. October generally seemed happier now after Hogwarts, and Matt was glad to see her put less pressure on herself. He was walking next to Kyle as they headed into the yard, smiling awkwardly at the people around. He spotted Sully, who he'd had in his classes, and gave the boy an awkward wave in greeting. The other boy was familiar as well, though Matt didn't know his name because he hadn't been in his class yet. He didn't miss the way the boy was looking at Kyle, and he put a protective hand on his husband's arm. But he then turned his attention to Sia, giving her a smile. "It's nice to meet you, Sia." He told her. "Thanks for inviting us."

Sully had been pretty put out that he was the only one in his family that hadn't met Sia's new girlfriend. Even René had met her before him, which he had smugly reminded Sully while he'd been setting up. Less than pleased, Sully had thrown his all into helping set up the yard for the evening, glad he could one up René by casting as many spells as he pleased while René was still underage. The second the other family arrive though, all Sully's jealousy vanished and couldn't help but let out a squawk of laughter. "Oi, I know you, and you, and you," Sully said, pointing first at April, then October, and then even Professor Ward. Apparently Sully had managed to meet Sia's girlfriend even before Sia had. Or at least watched her play Quidditch. Sia probably had never even seen a Quidditch game, but they could change that. First though, Sully had other priorities. "Hey Professor, since we're in-laws and stuff now," he said, motioning between Sia and October, "Does this mean you'll go easy on me during the NEWTs? Maybe throw me a few easy O's," he asked, wiggling his eyebrows at Professor Ward.

Sia let out a sigh of relief when October appeared, her family in tow. Sure, now it meant she had to actually deal with meeting October's family, but she much preferred dealing with a problem in front of her rather than spending all day worrying about it. Not that October's family were a problem. If anything, Sia's family was, especially the way René was ogling October's dad.

She leaned in slightly, letting her hands linger on October's waist when she greeted her, glad that October moved to link their hands together after she'd introduced her to everyone. Sia just hoped October could handle her sweaty palms while they got through all this. "Great to finally meet you all," she said, trying not to grit her teeth as René scuttled over to Kyle. "It's lovely to meet you all-René," she hissed, clicking her tongue at her brother and jerking her head over to the table, hoping he'd get the point. Sully was no help either and Sia glared at him as he swanned about. October had mentioned how small the magical community was around here, which Sia had understood, but it hadn't occurred to her that it would mean Sully would know half October's family already. The realization sent a familiar spike of jealousy through her and Sia gripped October's hand slightly tighter. "April!" Sia said, eager to get some sort of normal conversation going before her brother's managed to ruin everything already. "October said you were a dancer too? Do you do ballet like she does?" She asked, still jerking her head at René and now Sully too, hoping they'd both shove off or chill out for two seconds.

Though October knew Sia had brothers at Hogwarts, somehow she hadn't put together that they would recognise Matt until it happened. She balked at the question, giving her stepfather a nervous look. The younger one, at least, seemed more interested in helping her dad, and October chose to ignore them entirely as Sia changed the subject, latching onto the question. "Oh, April and I actually met at ballet classes when we were kids! That's how our dads met too, right Matt?" She said brightly, hoping to cut off the boy asking Matt about better grades. How anyone could be so brazen she would never understand, though she definitely want going to say it out loud, not on such an important day.

Kyle smiled kindly when one of Sia's brothers offered to help with the food he had brought, handing the plate over carefully. "Thank you!" He said cheerfully, trying to gauge how old the boy was. October had only said that Sia had two magical brothers, not how old they were, and he couldn't quite figure out if this boy would be at Hogwarts yet or not. He smiled when he introduced himself, giving the boy a small nod. "It's nice to meet you, I'm Kyle. Are you at Hogwarts yet?" He asked kindly, figuring he might as well just ask.

René was dying to ask Kyle more about being a werewolf, what it was like, if it hurt, if he could control it, but Sia had pretty expressly forbid that line of questioning and even he wasn't bold enough to try it with her so close by. He could tell he was toeing the line as is, glumly taking the plate, though he did perk up a little with April mentioned the muffins being good. If he set them down on the table and kept his back turned Dad probably wouldn't be able to see him sneak one before they ate. "Oh, yeah, I'm a second year now," he said, straightening up proudly, adjusting his grip when some of the lamingtons wobbled threateningly with the movement. "It's pretty cool, though I miss all my friends and stuff," he said, glancing over at his Mum briefly before adding, "And my family too." It seemed like the right thing to say, even if he'd never in a million years admit to his friends at school that he missed his Mum. "I'll go put these over here." He said, not trusting himself to keep talking while holding a plate he might drop and heading over to the picnic table to set them down.

April grinned at Sully as she said he knew her, pointing two finger guns at him in response. But she couldn't help giggling slightly as he then immediately asked her dad for better grades. "He didn't even give me any better grades, I don't think it's something he does." She said, amused by the way October cut off the questions. She focused on Sia instead, as she was talking to her. "Yes, we did meet at ballet classes." She said with a bright smile. "But I like other types of dance as well, I have been trying different things lately." She said brightly. "October said you're a student?" She asked curiously. "What are you studying?"

Matt smiled a little awkwardly as Sully suggested he should go easy on him because they were in-laws now. The thought of October getting married was alarming enough, especially with the idea of them all being related on top of it. He cleared his throat. "I'm afraid I can't do that." He said with a slight smile. "I'm too intimidated by Professor Alicastell to attempt it if I'm honest." He joked, though that wasn't entirely false. "I have full confidence in your ability to get a good grade on your own, though." He added with a smile.

The relief Sia felt at René finally moving away to put the food October's family had brought over was quickly replaced by frustrated embarrassment as Sully tried to schmooze with October's step-dad now. "Sully, oh my god," she groaned, tempted to drag him away by the ear like she used to do in primary school. Thankfully, Matt seemed to be fielding it well enough and Sia was able to repress the urge to hide her face in October's hair and not come out. "I'm sure Sully will survive," she said darkly, glaring at him until he thankfully got the hint and backed off to help Dad with the BBQ.

"Right! That's so cute. And cool you both have that in common, aye," Sia said as Sully slunk off, grasping onto the wonderfully normal conversation with April, immensely grateful for October's sister. "I'm actually just about to graduate from Victoria with my Bachelor's in Microbiology, though I'm already applying for graduate level courses. Can't get enough of it I guess," she said with a weak laugh. School was stressful and Sia often felt like she was wasting her time with all this knowing about that magical people were just waving away illnesses and the like with their wands or their hands or whatever, but Sia was good at it and she wasn't about to give up on it now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back