Mia
Blood Status
Mixed Blood
Relationship Status
Too Young to Care
Hogwarts Monthly
Welcome
By Miranda Dawes (Camilla)
Hello and welcome everyone to another exciting year at Hogwarts! We here at the Hogwarts Monthly are thrilled to be your guides to everything going on around the school. With us on the case, you won't miss anything!

This semester we welcomed Professor Conan Edogawa who took over senior Muggle Studies, Professor Marigold Cooper who has taken on junior Ancient Runes, and Professor Lyra Potter who covered junior Charms classes while Professor Grayveson has been on maternity leave. Professor Cade has also stepped up to be the new Gryffindor Head of House and while Professor Kingsley is a hard act to follow we're sure he'll do an incredible job!

There's been so much going on around the school especially with clubs, events and quidditch, so please read on for all the latest news from our incredible reporters!

Halloween Happened
By Morrie Ayre (Verity)

Clubs
By Magdalene Grey (Kiersten)

Well Halloween happened and our Headmaster pulled out all the stops this year. We had apple bobbing, a spooky tent and even dusted off the Hippogriff pinata. The real horror however, was watching a blindfolded zombie armed with a baseball bat and swinging it in the general direction of said pinata. Honestly, we’re lucky nobody ended up in the hospital wing. And on the subject of strange sights, did anyone else see Apolline Fontaine on the dance floor wearing a pillowcase? Yes, you read that right, a pillowcase!

But the real shocker of the night? Not a single fight broke out. I know, I was disappointed too. Even colliding exes managed to keep their wands holstered. Come on, people, where's the drama? Let's step it up next time!

The costume contest was a mixed bag this year with the good, the bad and the ugly. On the good end, we had Vanity Mettlestone with a spot on vampire look. On the bad, we had Lucy Holland who inexplicably came dressed as a doughnut. We're still trying to figure that one out. And finally, the ugly June Davenport, who, let's be honest, the evening would have been better had she not bothered to turn up.

Please ignore the costume winners, someone with no taste decided most of those:

Best Overall: William Potter-Cade as a Ghostly Old-Timey Gentleman (Dan)
Best Magically Enhanced: June Davenport as Queen of Snakes (Jamie)
Most Scary: Todd Cobbler as a Demon (Verity)
Best Group/Couple: Beatrice & Magdalene Grey as The Twins From The Shining (Kiersten)
Most Ridiculous: Lucy Holland as a doughnut (Rowan)
Most Traditional Halloween: Demi Zephyr as a Vampire (Zephie)
Outside of our studies and Quidditch, Hogwarts is full of opportunities for students with special interests. Clubs have been very active this semester, providing numerous events for students of all ages, and some unofficial groups have popped up as well. First Year Slytherin Winnie Calida has been leading students in the Hogwarts Run Club - if you're someone who likes fresh air and sore calves, this group may be for you! Seventh Year Emery Mettlestone hosted an Unofficial Gobstones Club where students can learn about the game of Gobstones and play with other fanatics. For those unfamiliar, Gobstones is a kind of wizarding game with rocks that squirt things at you, which could be fun for certain people!

For official groups, both Heta Omega and The Brotherhood of MAGIC held their semester meetings. Heta Omega's president Penelope Marshall set out pairings for Big and Little sisters with a get-to-know you activity. Teddy Pirrip, the new president for the Brotherhood, had the boys play a silly game of truth or dare. The Wild Patch worked together on beautifying the gardens, led by president Daria Bright-Root, and Savannah Walters held a duelling practice session for all ages so students could practice their wandwork on dummies. One of the ghosts even popped by to say hello!

Quidditch
By Michael Watson (Camilla)
Is anyone else’s neck hurting? The whiplash caused by the start of this Quidditch season is probably to blame. If you didn’t blink and miss it, that is. Fresh off last year’s hard fought final you’d be forgiven for thinking that the largely unchanged lineups of the Ravenclaw and Gryffindor teams would be gearing up to force a rematch. However, perhaps this semester’s results are a reminder of the dangers of complacency.

Hufflepuff (150) def Gryffindor (0)
Gryffindor were certainly out to go one better than last year, but Hufflepuff, after a somewhat surprising loss to Slytherin, also had something to prove. Unfortunately, neither team really had much of a chance to show off (specifically their beaters) as both seekers spotted the snitch immediately. It was a short, sharp chase and ultimately Hufflepuff’s Penelope Marshall was the victor in a thrilling yet difficult to follow hunt. She really put her body on the line and as such I have no choice but to declare her Michael’s MVP.

Slytherin (160) def Ravenclaw (10)
The largely underrated Slytherin (mostly by yours truly) managed to pull off quite the upset beating last year’s champions. Ravenclaw’s Lucy Holland was very quick to get a bludger hit on Slytherin seeker Ignatius Wolffort. Wolffort was perhaps the most underrated player going into this match - frankly, he looked like he could barely sit upright on his broom last year - but he was very swift in catching the snitch, and I have to give him full credit here. MVP credit, as it were.

So the two traditional powerhouses (at least in recent years) are back squaring off for the cup, and we’ll have a tense grand final rematch for bronze. Stay tuned next semester for some more exciting Quidditch!

How To
get a good study session
By Winnie Calida (Emzies)

Top Ten
Tips for Settling into a New Place (as a Transfer Student):
By Elio Boneheart (Zazz)
How To..... Get a Good Study Session!

While this could just as easily be a top ten list about the best ways to study, we'll be approaching as a skill we all need to have. This how to guide will help students who struggle to study and those who have no idea how to get started. I've complied it into a really useful list of steps to take when studying.

Step 1 - Find a Good Place to Study
This seems obvious, finding a place to study, but so often you'll hear about people studying on their beds, or in places that are packed or on couches, and wonder why they fall asleep or get no work done. Make sure to find a desk, with good amount of space on it. Where you can pull up a chair with decent back support and where your feet can touch the ground. Make sure that the space has enough light and make sure that the room isn't too hot or too cold. At either extreme, you will work done. Some argue that you can study outside if the weather is nice, but at best, you can read outside, studying outside, will lead to no work being done.

Part 1b - Make sure you have everything
Not quite a full step in the how-to guide, but do make sure when you sit down to study that you have everything you need to be able to study. This includes water, light non-greasy snacks, all the books you'll need, plenty of parchment, quills etc.

Step 2 - Limit Your Distractions
Now you've found a place to study, the second step, follows closely to the first, in making sure you pick a spot where you will not be pulled away, where you will not find yourself daydreaming much. Avoid common rooms, if you are easily distracted by people, the library if you are easily distracted by books, and definitely avoid studying in the Great Hall. You should also avoid bringing with you pets, or 'fun books' because all that will happen is you'll let yourself be distracted and play with your pet, or read the book you aren't supposed to.

Step 3 - Plan
Now, this step can be done beforehand, you can sit down to study with a plan already in mind, but if not before any study session, plan out how you want to spend your time. Do you want to do some reading, or write up notes, do practice tests etc.. Take the time to figure this out before you get started. Allocate time for each activity in each subject, and then try to stick to it. That way, if you are studying something you do not enjoy you know in an hour or so, you can move on to something else. The plan can be rigid or flexible, depending on how best you learn, but I would advise avoiding jumping between subjects too much or giving yourself too little time, as you won't take in as much or be as productive.

Step 4 - Start studying
Once that plan is together and done, start studying! People have different methods for how they learn best, so try to find those and stick to them, it can also be useful to make these subject specific, for potions (theory) or history, the trick is repetition, to put it into your head. Another is reading and taking notes from your books. For some it can be mind maps etc. There are lots of ways to actually study, find what works best, try many methods ensuring that you learn what works best and to keep your brain engaged.

Step 5 - Take a Break
You should take frequent breaks when you study, a method I use is for everything 20 minutes of revision, I take a five-minute break. This allows me to get up, walk around, refill my water, stretch, give my eyes a break etc., this will allow you to keep your brain active, it will help avoid overloading it, and it will keep you moving too. I use the 20:5 scale, but if you struggle to concentrate for longer, then do 10:5. Or if you can really focus, do 30:10. It's up to you have you do it, but make sure you give yourself enough time to study and get stuck in and not too much time that you stop studying when the break is up.

And that's it, your five-step guide on how to get a good and productive study session. A few extras, is that I would not advise studying with others - you will get distracted - but I know for some it can sometimes lead them to working better because they are with someone who makes them study.

Get involved (in school activities): You want to start meeting people, getting to know everyone early. Unfortunately a lot of friend groups will have already started, so you want to make sure you have a way to meet people. Join a club or a sport team if you can and there are plenty of student organisations you can find too! There will always be someone who shares your interests and this way you can build a sense of belonging with other people - and hopefully make some friends too!
Explore! (the campus and surrounding areas!): You might be a local who chooses school after homeschool or you might be a foreign exchange student here for the first time! Either way, it's good to take the time to familiarise yourself with your new setting in your new school and the areas people like to frequent. Get to know where the important places are and you will probably find a favourite place all of your own!
Reach out (to classmates): Don't be scared of introducing yourself to people in your classes, they might not know you but they probably want to! One thing going for you as someone new is that everyone knows everyone else! You're a new factor! Own it! You might find study buddies or even friends this way!
Talk! (to everyone and anyone!): You will want to start to build any relationships quickly, whether with professor or other staff, as well as other students. You will find that most of them will be only too happy to help you out and if they aren't, well, you'll learn who to avoid!
Find routine: Developing a daily routine will help you to create a sense of stability in the new journey, a study schedule or relaxing time will help you figure out your day and give a rhythm you can use to help ease your transition into the new environment.
Be creative (decorate your space): Your new bed in your new place will help you feel like home. Bring anything you like, maybe a special blanket or photos of family or friends you have left behind or won't see as often. It's okay to have the old things with the new things, but it's important to make sure you mix it together to create something uniquely yours too. Leave space for the new stuff whilst remembering the old.
Stay connected: Don't forget to keep in touch with your old friends, or with people back home. They'll be a good source of comfort and familiarity whilst you adjust to your new life!
Embrace the new!: Remember to be open, trying new things like food or activities - even new traditions - will help you feel more connected to your new space. You might come from a completely different background, learning about your new home might be fun!
Stay positive: You can't forget that settling into a new place will take time. It's completely normal to feel homesick or even overwhelmed and that's totally okay, but staying positive and being patient will help you adapt more smoothly. Let your anxieties work themselves out.
Seek help: You will struggle, but don't hesitate to reach out to counsellors, advisors, or even your head of house (if you're at Hogwarts!) the foundations you have laid already will be integral to helping you in this major transition of your life - and then maybe you can even help someone else in return.
3fd5c6ea97f076af6445087ef4d4f093563b7406.png
RAVENCLAW First Year
"Probably Ireland. That’s where my dad says you can find a Augurey and I think they look pretty cute."
Dhivya Khatri
HUFFLEPUFF Second Year
"I would go to L.A., to watch the World of Dance finals & go to all the workshops."
Minerva Vetrova
GRYFFINDOR Third Year
"Home."
Vanity Mettlestone
SLYTHERIN Fourth Year
"A beach somewhere far away from here without any of you losers."
3e6d16f9380ca071d962463971439404c40afa68.png
RAVENCLAW Fifth Year
"I'd apparate home so I don't have to see other stupid people."
Zerrin Fergusson
HUFFLEPUFF Sixth Year
"Honestly, I'd just go back home, to Scotland- my mom just had the triplets and I'd really like to be home more to help her and da out more. Even if it would just be watching the girls- five young kids can't be easy."
Rāwhiti Te Rangi
GRYFFINDOR Seventh Year
"Into the stands at a World Cup game!"
Professor Leif Odegard
Transfiguration Years 1-4

"I'd apparate to my old hometown in Norway. I haven't been there in years so it might be nice to head back."
dfb6d601afadc3f889d08bf04295c5008a409f9a.pnj

Muggle Moment
Figure skating
By Beatrice Grey (Kiersten)
9781761065910.jpg

Hugos Book Club
The Left-handed Booksellers of London
by Garth Nix
By Hugo Stark-West (Mia) (Image source)
Figure Skating is a popular sport in the Muggle world. You can compete as an individual or as a pair, and you ice skate and dance across the ice. In competitions, there are certain elements or skills you have to do in your routine, and then judges score you based on how well you do each skill.

Anyone can learn how to figure skate - it just takes practice. The first step is to get very comfortable with ice skating and being able to move in different directions across the ice. Jumps and spins can come later.

An important part of figure skating is the storytelling. The music each competitor uses and the costumes they wear can help the audience know what the dance is about. Since each competitor has to compete with similar skills, having a story can help everyone enjoy watching figure skating more.
Hello and welcome to Hugos book club. This month we are reading The Left-handed Booksellers of London by Garth Nix. Mum said this was one of her favourite series growing up, it caused her to sell books. While I am starting to think most books were her favourites growing up, I do see why she liked this one.

Welcome to London. Not quite London as you know it, where the modern “new” world (I am using the word modern loosely here as it is set almost 100 years ago in the 1980s) and the old world of legends are closer than you think. If you have never met the old kings or the may pixies it is thanks to the booksellers of London, keeping the world at bay. split into the action first fighting left-handed and the research focused right-handed.

Susan is new to London and plans to use the three months before she starts her art school to find her dad. However, on her first night, her closest lead gets killed. Susan crosses paths with Merlin, a young left-handed bookseller looking for people behind his mum’s death. As the old and new worlds start to collide, they, alsong with merlins sister, the right handed Vivian must work out who Susan’s dad is and if there is any association between him and Merlin’s mum, and most importantly who is behind these unusual attacks? and can they stop them before it gets too late?

this was a fun and fast-paced read with a lot of twists and turns. Susan, Merlin, and Vivian were all fun to learn about. and the world of magic and how it works was interesting, such as you can only cast a spell for as long as you hold your breath. I would definitely recommend it. and I am looking forward to reading the sequel over Christmas, which I will hopefully learn more about right-handed magic.

Spotlight Interview
Professor James Cade
By Veronica Walden-Cade (Dan)

Aunt meg
By Elio Boneheart (Zazz)
Earlier this semester I sat down with the new head of Gryffindor House, my dad Professor James Cade. I asked how taking over from such a stalwart like Professor Kingsley felt.

VWC: Thank you for sitting down with me.

JC: You didn’t give me much choice.

VWC: Regardless, you were recently appointed head of Gryffindor House replacing the long-serving Professor Kingsley, how does it feel stepping into the shoes of someone so well-regarded by students and staff alike?

JC: I see you’re starting with a softball.

VWC: Answer the question please Dad.

JC: It’s pretty daunting I won’t lie, Professor Kingsley held this role for a long time, she was my head of house during my student years and someone I highly respected both as my professor and colleague. I’m not trying to fill her shoes, no one could do that.

VWC: Did Professor Kingsley give you any advice before taking the job?

JC: She didn’t know I got it until after, we met for dinner and exchanged stories, she offered me some advice and just kind of prepared me for the role as much as she could. But I won’t be repeating any of it, that’ll stay between one Gryffindor head of house and another.

VWC: Thanks Dad, you’re really giving the readers what they want. What’s the biggest challenge you anticipate in your new role?

JC: The students, Gryffindor is the best house no doubt but we attract interesting characters, I’d know I was one and keeping them in line is going to be harder than tracking dark wizards ever was.

VWC: How does Mum feel about you being out of the house most of the year?

JC: Relieved probably. We’ve had a year of it already but the extra responsibility means I’m unable to get home as much.

VWC: What is your biggest goal for Gryffindor? Either for this year or something bigger.

JC: Winning. House cups, Quidditch cups, everything. Gryffindor needs to win more.

VWC: It might help if you stopped deducting points then.

JC: I would if Gryffindors stopped getting in trouble.

VWC: We both know that isn’t going to happen, they’re Gryffindors.

JC: At least their mischievous nature shouldn’t impact the Quidditch team, it's been too long since we lifted the cup.

VWC: Don’t get me started about the Quidditch team. As a relatively new face to the school, what do you want your Gryffindor’s to know about you?

JC: That my door is always open to them, I’ve been in their shoes, walked the same halls and no doubt experienced many of their problems, if they need help no matter the problem I’m here to give it.

VWC: Thanks Dad, I think we’ll leave it there. Thank you for your time.

I'm beginning to think of myself as inadequate compared to my family. They all have aspirations or accomplishments while I feel like I'm stuck right where I am, just as anxious about even a single conversation, same as when I started here. Any advice?

Signed,
Inadequate
--

Dear Inadequate,

Firstly, you are not in adequate, even if you feel this way, it's not true and you need to stop using this language. It's completely normal to feel like you don't have a lot going on when you compare yours,elf to others, especially to family. The people around us always seem to feel like they're better at everything and it always feels like they have their sh*t figured out - and you will always wonder how when you can barely even string two thoughts together. You have to remember you're just as unique as they are, and comparing yourself to them isn't being honest with yourself. We're all different, because if we were all carbon copies of each other then what would be the point of getting to know each other or doing anything at all, right? Try to be kind to yourself, and celebrate your own progress. You have your own strengths too, even if they're not the same. You are good at something they aren't, use that and find your joy in it. If worst comes to worst, you can always find their faults and use those instead. (But I don't really recommend that option.)

Hope this helps,
Aunt Meg
--
Dear Aunt Meg,

I don't think I like the things my family does. I want to be the same as them, but any time I so much as think about it, I get really sad, and really anxious. I don't want to tell them because they'll probably hate me and I don't want them to hate me, but I don't know how to be different. I just want to be the same.

Signed,
Family Issues
--
Dear Family Issues,

First of all, I'm so sorry you're feeling this way. It's really tough when you feel out of sync with your family, especially when you love them and want to fit in. It's important to remember that it's okay to be different from your family. Everyone is unique, and having different interests or opinions doesn't mean you're any less a part of the family. In fact, those differences can make your relationships stronger and more interesting. It sounds like you're worried about how they'll react if you share your feelings. While it might be scary, being honest with them might help you feel more understood and supported. They might feel like there's something you're not telling them and they're waiting for the right time, but you won't know until you try. If it's hard to say something, maybe you can try to write it down? Sharing your thoughts in a letter might help to ease your anxiety on the subject you're struggling with - and you can take back what you write, you can't take back what you say.

Good luck,
Aunt Meg
---
Dear Aunt Meg,

I feel like sometimes the people in my life don't want anything to do with me. I see them with other people and I know they've planned to meet up with them and they never bothered to tell me about it or invite me. It just feels like maybe I don't belong with them, or here at all.

signed, Forgotten
---
Dear Forgotten,

That really sucks and I'm really sorry you're going through that. It hurts when you feel like people are leaving you out, and even if that's not their intention, you're allowed to feel what you feel too. Sometimes people don't realise how their actions affect others, and so it might be a good idea to try and reach out to them and tell them how you're feeling. Your worth isn't determined by how others define you, but I can understand how it might feel like that. You belong wherever you want to belong as much as you want to, and even if it doesn't feel like that right now, there are people who will value you and appreciate you for who you are. You might just need to find them - but have faith that you will!

I believe in you,
Aunt Meg

Horoscopes
By Ruto Vernier-Raison (Kaye)
Aquarius
You are a very intelligent person and no one should ever second guess you. Take all the chances you can this month and trust in yourself, even when those around you are trying to convince you otherwise. Don’t let anyone dull your sparkle. Read books to find some more information, even if you think it’s risky to know. If others laugh at you, ignore them. They don’t know the real you. Just be sure not to take your anger out on other people, especially those that you need in order to help you get to where you need to be.

Pisces
You should take care of yourself this month. Try not to neglect your needs. Your body doesn’t lie when it tells you it has had enough. Listen to your body and try your best to rewind. Things have been stressful lately, but you need to be patient. It also wouldn’t hurt to seek the guidance of a seer. You’re about to come across a difficult point in your life and a seer might be the key that you need in order to get through it.

Aries
Try not to be too impatient this month. Things will eventually go your way if you wait and see how they play out. I know you don’t like to sit back and watch things happen, but this month you really need to try to. Even without a fight, you may feel a little defeated, but there is a learning experience in this if you sit and observe.

Taurus
Your good communication will be key this month. Keep note of everything you see and everything you hear. All of the information that you gather will help you get to the bottom of your problems soon enough. Talk to the right people and you will also find that you will get places you have never been to before. You will also find that this month you will discover where you are headed in life, so listen out carefully for the clues and all of your questions will be answered in due time.

Gemini
You love a good old chat, don’t you? This month, make the most of how extroverted you are. You are going to meet some new people and you don’t want them to have a bad first impression of you, so keep yourself looking nice. Keep a smile on your face, keep your confidence up, and you will find that new friends will find you without much effort (as long as you don’t scare them away with any of your dad jokes). They will be beneficial to you and you will be glad you made them.

Cancer
This month you may find yourself dreaming of something better in your life. Things have been looking down lately, but I can assure you your sleepless nights under the moonlight will soon be worth it. Keep going at what you are doing and don’t look up from it. Distractions are going to be hard to avoid this month, especially as you are feeling down, but a focused mind will get you where you need to be.

Leo
Your input will be greatly appreciated this month. Your friends will need your help and it would be nice if you had their back. Bless others with the breadth of your knowledge and your shoulder to lean on. Your optimism and your charisma can go very far, and may even extend to strangers, who will not ever forget your face. Your lasting impression will go very far. Just be sure not to step on anyone’s toes.

Virgo
Sometimes it’s best to let other people speak up and take the credit. Try not to let your ego get in the way this month and you will find that your relationships will mend. Your theoretical discussions and your leaps of intuition can be uncanny, but that’s not to say that your ideas aren’t great. Keep up your confidence, however let other people have the spotlight from time to time.

Libra
Your soft side will come out this month. When you feel like all is lost, your relationships are going to turn around and you will realise how lucky you are to have the people around you. Look after those that you hold dear and be thankful for what you have. Make the first move where you can and never settle for less. You are a great person full of a wonder of knowledge and no one should ever take advantage of you.

Scorpio
Curiosity killed the cat, and may hurt yourself if you’re not too careful this month. Some things you don’t need to know, and not having the full story isn’t going to change anything. In fact, it may help you see from another’s perspective if you stop trying to figure it out yourself. Not every question has an answer, and not every question has an answer that you need to know. Stop obsessing over things that aren’t important and you will see the true reality.

Sagittarius
Continue to yearn for horizons, whether physical or mental. This month you need to not give up. Keep doing what you’re doing and you will soon find you where you need to be. You have a rare gift of being able to investigate something deeply, and so don’t take advantage of this and use it to the best of your ability. Be cheerful, brisk, humorous, and take things as they come. Just try not to get on anyone’s nerves whilst you do it (not that it’s hard to stay mad at you).

Capricorn
You usually know what is going on long before anyone else does, and you need to be careful with this during this month. Try not to tell the wrong people things or otherwise you will find yourself in some strife. Be careful who to talk to and tread carefully around those that you don’t trust. It might just be easier to stick with those that you are familiar with. Keep your circle small and your plans private.

Editors Note
By Hugo Stark-West (Mia)
Hogwarts Monthly would not be what it is without its dedicated staff. so I would like to send out a huge thank you to everyone involved in its creation. As my first time leading the editorial journey, I want to send out an especially big thank you to Miranda Dawes, my co-editor, who has put in a tremendous amount of effort into organising and producing this newspaper.
It also can't go without saying. A huge thank you to those who came before. Thank you for leaving such massive shoes to fill. Margo Fox, thank you for guiding me through the process of being editor. you have certainly made this job easier to walk into. Thank you also to Giulia Alcott for setting up the format, which has lightened our workload. And thank you to you, reader, the monthly is for you, enjoy.​

While Vanity didn't really think being in the club for the paper was cool in any way, she was always curious to see if she was mentoined in it. So when she saw the new papers appear, she snatched one up and immedately started scanning it for her name. She started at Quidditch but she wasn't mentioned there, which was not really surprising. Then she noticed her name in the Halloween section. She grinned, and then cackled as she saw Morrie's description of June. She looked around for the other girl, she seriously needed a high five.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back