Sexual Orientation
Jasper) (Pansexual
Wand
Ash Wand 14 1/4" Essence of Hair from the Tail of a Male Unicorn
HOGWARTS MONTHLY: Y36 SEMESTER 2 ISSUE
tenor.gif

The Closing Of The Year
By: Sydney Townsend
Tēnā koutou, tēnā koutou, tēnā koutou katoa. Welcome back, one and all, to the second semester here at Hogwarts New Zealand, and the time of reckoning for all our OWL and NEWT students, if you’re one to care about that. With the arrival of 2052, we have a few mid-year additions to our staff, including Professor Takuya Blaze, who has been covering lower year Charms this semester, Samuel Wren, our new groundskeeper, and Professor Lydia Drage, who has now taken over Defense Against the Dark Arts. In case you missed them, as HM would like to apologize for doing so in our last issue, we also would like to offer a belated welcome to Professor Hamish Kaster and Professor Octavia Pourroulis, teaching upper year Arithmancy and lower year History of Magic respectively.

It’s been a busy semester again this year, all of which has been helpfully covered by your hardworking Hogwarts Monthly staff. Between Quidditch finals, Rose Giving, Valentine’s, club events, the elective fair, and the Duelling Tournament, there’s plenty to keep a student busy about the school.

Finally, to those of you out there worrying with exams and graduation on your horizon I simply offer you the assurance that your grades and schooling do not define you, do not let the pressure of those around you tell you otherwise. From us at the Hogwarts Monthly we wish you the best of luck with all your endeavors into the next year and beyond.
The Valentines Dance
By: Cyzarine Haden
Rose Deliveries
By: Estella Fuentes
The valentines dance has been and gone, but our memories of that wonderful dance will linger forever….or well, until next year when we can replace it with new memories of a new dance. We should all know by now, that I, Cyzarine Haden, love love, so this was definitely no different. The valentines dance finishes off a day so filled with love, friendship and romance, and it always delivers. From the floating petals to the wonderful punch, everything was just fill with the fancy of the day. It is a celebration of love, but I think this love can be extended to friends and be an occasion to just spend a fun love filled evening with friends. I noted quite a few little friendship groups which were very adorably sweet to see. There were a few notable couples, the ever beautiful Athena Holmgaard and her beau, the slytherin chaser were having a great time it seemed. Alice Holland and Elliot Briar look very cute together at this dance too. Nell Wright and Selene le Fey both looked exceedingly beautiful in their outfits and together. It was definitely a show for all of the beautiful couples of our dear school today.

A few special outfit mentions should go to the Shale Night for her beautiful pink dress, Blake Lodge for the beautiful red coat and Tyler lee for his bowtie. But really everyone at the dance looked truly beautiful. The event itself went smoothly with no trouble whatsoever from any of the people at it. Everyone was riding the high of the roses. The professor did a magical job with keep the hall looking nice and ensure everyone was very well behaved. I think it’s good that we really take the time to celebrate valentines day and enjoy the love that we can spread to others and enjoy for ourselves. It is not vital to have a partner at these events too, I think as young people exploring for the first time, relationships, feelings and crushes, to remember that if you aren’t interested in that, or think you’re too young for it, then that’s okay. You shouldn’t rush into relationships and pairings just because all of your peers are doing it. Each person’s development happens at different rates and that’s okay. Really too, if it never interests you then thats okay too. We feel or don’t feel how we feel…...if you understand me.

I think we should all take a moment to give our thanks to the professors and organisers for the event, thank our friends and partners for a fun night and just wait in anticipation for the next one. Let’s treasure those fun memories as we unfortunately have to sit exams and say goodbye to the eldest of the students. Let’s treasure the fun memories of this valentines dance until the next one.
If there’s one thing I’ve learnt to look forward to at Hogwarts it’s definitely Valentine’s Day. The day starts off with rose giving, which can be a job and a half, especially if you’re a first year like me trying to locate people that you’ve never even seen or heard of before.

Every year roses are grown in the Hogwarts Gardens for the special occasion and student volunteers take up their time to deliver them on the special day. The red roses are for love, the yellow roses are for friendship, and the pink roses are for admiration.

The stats were:
❦ 21 pink roses
❦ 26 red roses
❦ 161 yellow roses

With a total of 208 roses, there were plenty of roses to go around, the most being yellow. This goes to show that there are many friendly people at Hogwarts, and what better way to show your friendship to someone by giving them a rose!

There were certainly some creative (and a little bit cheesy) people this year when it came to writing the notes, and some people even used it as a last minute asking to the Valentine’s Dance. There were also many sibling love roses, which I have to admit were very touching. What was more touching was the delivery of not one, but three roses to the Hogwarts Monthly editor Nell Wright who managed to receive one of every colour all from the same person. What a lucky girl indeed!

However, it seems that not everyone had Valentine’s spirit this year. The Slytherin Head of House turned his red rose into an ant and crushed it. Though this is not surprising, good luck next year Slytherins. I hope you get your trampoline!

If you didn’t deliver roses this year, I strongly recommend you do it next year. Even though it’s tiring, it’s definitely a good way to help out and show your school spirit. Not only that, but it helps you find your way around the giant castle. But don’t forget to check which rose you’re giving before you give it! Delivering the wrong pink rose can definitely cause confusion!

To sum it up, Rose Giving on Valentine's Day is such a great tradition at Hogwarts and it was one of the most interesting days I have had here so far. I am looking forward to future years of delivering more roses and meeting some new faces.

The Dueling Tournament
By: Sydney Townsend
d24dd39bffec36a1c8ea6809525184d5.gif

Quidditch
By: Nikko Blackwood
With the arrival of Semester Two it was once again time for Hogwart’s annual Duelling Tournament, hosted by our Student Defense Association. This year proved to be a rather turbulent one, where it seems sportsmanship and honour was in short supply in many of our matches, of which we saw a total of 21 duels across three rounds.

Round one was by far the most dramatic this year. Defending champion Ava Lancaster faced off against Jenna Toubia in the Sixth Year match, where Toubia proved that she simply did not have the patience for duelling etiquette, attempting to take Lancaster out in a flurry of spells which resulted in her disqualification and Ava Lancaster being dubbed Sixth Year champion.

We also saw a few lesser equipped duelists resorting to physical violence once again this year when their matches didn’t go their way, with Blake Irons resorting to punching Tyler Lee in their first round match and yours truly being unfairly attacked by the school’s resident hothead, Eric Holland, to no one’s surprise. One has to wonder why these offenders are allowed to continue duelling when they clearly cannot keep their head in such a competition.

Our Seventh year competition saw their own upset as well this year, with SDA Co-president Willow Cullen being knocked out early by Diana Holland. While Analei Louw managed to secure the championship from Holland in the next round, suffice to say it can’t feel great for Cullen to have lost in the first round of her own competition.

RESULTS
Year
Champion
Second Year
Leia Hume
Third Year
Lysander Summers
Fourth Year
Sydney Townsend
Fifth Year
Aonghas Fergusson
Sixth Year
Ava Lancaster
Seventh Year
Analei Louw

Finally, after three rounds, 21 duels, and 31 competitors, Hogwarts New Zealand have their champions for 2052. On behalf of the school, we would also like to thank our proctors, Professor Kalif Styx and Professor Katherine Alicastell, as well as our tournament hosts the SDA, for organizing and running the tournament. Let’s hope next year is not quite so turbulent.
This quidditch season did not disappoint, and it is only right to immediately shout out the Slytherin team as world champions after a swift victory over Beauxbatons. But before we get into that let’s recap the games that lead up to that exciting last game. First up this semester was Hufflepuff versus Ravencalw.

It started off with a decisive maneuver by Abian Hunter who grabbed possession of the quaffle but ultimately missed the goal. Beater, Chloe Chan, had similar luck and missed her first target and ended up sparing the Ravenclaw team any injury. Teodora Pourroulis, a Ravenclaw chaser, tried her best but was met with similar bad luck and didn’t make her goal either. Both teams' seekers did their best to find the snitch but it was Co-Captain Minnie Calida who succeeded in the end and earned Ravenclaw their victory.

Up next was the Gryffindor and Slytherin game. Gryffindor started the game strong and managed to get possession of the quaffle first as the game kicked off and beater, Lysander Summers, managed to land a nasty bludger shot against Slytherin’s seeker and Co-Captain Blake Irons. But Slytherin’s keeper, Mordred Cavanaugh managed to block Gryffindor’s shot. At this point in the game, things did not look good for Slytherin’s seeker as he was hit for a second time. Slytherin did have some luck as chaser, Derek Tahana, scored a goal and earned the first points of the game. But that luck was short lived as their seeker suffered a third and final bludger blow that knocked him out of the game. Page Thompson was subbed in and the game went on. Gryffindor managed to get points on the board as well but in the end it was Slytherin’s alternate seeker that snagged the win.

Last game of the season, and the most anticipated was the international game with Beauxbatons. After a rather dramatic game last year, Hogwarts was ready to take back their title. Slytherin was quick at the start and got possession of the quaffle. Sapphire Michaels, Slytherin beater also managed to strike the first bludger hit. That bludger found the target of one Jacob Finley, Beauxbaton’s beater, who hardly seemed phased by the injury and managed to hit Slytherin’s seeker. But that wasn’t the end of the bludger action as Beauxbaton’s seeker, Sophia Corelli, was the next target. Slytherin was also the first team to score any points as Derek Tahana’s shot sailed right through the hoops. Both teams’ beaters managed to land more blows before the game ended with a good catch by Blake Irons, who had been knocked out the game previously.

It was an exciting season full of wonderful performances by every member of all teams. Hopefully the break will give players a change to rest and heal up to be back for an even more exciting tournament next year. Slytherin will keep hold of their streak as champions for now. No one knows what will happen next season, but it is sure to keep everyone coming out to the pitch to see whats going to happen next.
Club Events
By: Nell Wright
One of the most fun parts of Hogwarts life is of course, participating in the many student clubs this school has to offer, and, as ever this semester those clubs have been busy filling the halls of the school with activities to keep us all busy!

First off, the skill-based clubs. The Student Defense Association kicked the semester off with a heart-racing duelling tournament you've no doubt already read all about, and followed that up with a farewell party and prizegiving to honour the champions of that tournament. The Conglomerated Arts Club took to the school's kitchens this semester, no doubt serving up some treats to be jealous of! Finally the Wild Patch turned their attention from the cultivation of plants to their practical uses, with a fun workshop on harakeke weaving.

Although I've gone on the record many times as saying I don't understand the purpose for this club's existence, this reporter must admit that Heta Omega showed its practical side this semester, with members working on Valentines cards ahead of the holiday sure to warm hearts. The school's other clubs have been surprisingly quiet so far this semester, though I have no doubt the folks at Accio are hard at work as we have been, the Monthly will be sure to celebrate the publication of this issue, and I've heard whispers that the Brotherhood president is planning something interesting to finish the year off.

With all these activities on offer, you'd be a fool not to be interested in at least one of the clubs Hogwarts has available! There's a club for everyone, so come next year's club fair don't shy away from those booths, get involved and join the fun!
tumblr_mc052kk53t1r6c9gro2_250.gif

How to Train Your (Miniature) Dragon
By: Nikola Raven
ZnTZYAV.gif

Horoscopes
By: Poppy Perkins
Anyone who has been to the Magical Menagerie must have picked themselves up one of these awesome tiny dragons. Animated to breathe (non-burning) fire and look (almost) like the real thing, they're the perfect pet simply because they require absolutely no effort to care for. Training them, however, can be pretty complicated!

Without the ability to bribe them with food, as they don't eat, I had to get inventive and discovered that positive attention is effective in getting your dragon do to tricks. Mid-air somersaults, on command playful pounces and more. To help others, I've written out a list of ways you too can train your dragon.

Do's
First thing's first, it needs a unique name. Scales or Fluffy seem fitting or funny, but they're also common and you don't want to be using the same name as anyone else. They're pride creatures, you know, so I don't think they'd like to share a name with some other miniature dragon.

Secondly, find out where it likes to be scritched. My dragon really likes being scritched on the belly, but my cousin's prefers being petted on the head. Try and find out where your dragon likes being petted the most and then use that to praise it.

Thirdly, you'll need to be ready to give lots of compliments and praise. I don't know if they really understand what you're saying, but I'm sure that how you say it really matters. Be firm, but kind so that it knows you're a friend, but that you're also the boss.

Finally, don't ignore them! Any creature hates being ignored, and it's just the same with these animated dragons. An ignored pet is a pet that's probably going to misbehave, so don't give it the chance to be like that.

As some advice, wear gloves when handling your dragon the first few times. Sometimes miniature dragons have rather long claws!

Dont's
Definitely don't try to feed your miniature dragon something. Even though a tiny dragon eating a tiny grape would be cute, these little guys don't need food, and I also think fruit wouldn't agree with them even if it did.

Don't yell at your dragon. It can't understand what you're saying.

Don't mistreat your dragon, because then you definitely don't deserve it and you would be an awful person.

Don't have someone else try to train your dragon. You need to know how to teach your dragon, because it might not listen to you if you let someone else teach it. If it seems to be taking a while to pick things up, don't despair! (especially if you have a Hungarian Horntail. The easiest to train are Norwegian Ridgebacks and Common Welsh Greens) Just keep trying, it'll get it eventually.

That's about it! You'll have a trained miniature dragon in no time.
Aries (March 21 - April 19): There may be something frustrating you at the moment but it is important to go against your usual nature and not make things worse. It looks like things may get a little worse before it gets better.

Taurus (April 20 - May 20): It looks like you may have captured someone's attention and you should be on your best behavior to impress them. Don’t be afraid to make the first move and start with a kind gesture, luck is on your side.

Gemini (May 21 - June 20): Holding on to things of the past will not be good for you in the next few weeks. Take the time to look towards the future and into new possibilities. Be wary of Libras, they might not be helpful to you at this time either.

Cancer (June 21 - July 22): It is times like these where you need to consider advice that has been given to you extra carefully. You might end up looking foolish or making a huge mistake. Look towards your own intuition and trust yourself.

Leo (July 23 - August 22): Your eagerness will soon be rewarded. Now is not the time to shy away from opportunities! Try and say yes to any and every new experience you can, it may lead you to exactly what you are seeking.

Virgo (August 23 - September 22): It can be hard to let go of control but it will be good for you to take the chance and let the universe decide for you. There may be a big decision in your future and it is easy to focus only on that, but sit back and everything will turn out as it should.

Libra (September 23 - October 22): Sometimes it can feel like everyone is waiting for you to fail. The road ahead of you looks a little rocky, but don’t worry too much. This rough patch will pass, and watch out for Geminis.

Scorpio (October 23 - November 21): You like to consider yourself a leader, but not everyone shares that opinion. Humility is a good quality to have in a leader and it is a good thing to keep in mind going forward. It will save you in the future.

Sagittarius (November 22 - December 21): Patience is a good quality to have for any person. Try and hone that quality, and be careful not to lash out too quickly. You never know what others are going through. Keep an open mind and your relationships will benefit from it.

Capricorn (December 22 - January 19): Life brings us many ups and downs. It looks like you are in for a bit of a roller coaster yourself. Embrace the changes and it will make things go much smoother. Don’t fight it, that will only cause you unneeded frustration.

Aquarius (January 20 - February 18): It is time for you to make a change. Things are getting stale around you and there is no time like the present to clean out your space and start again. Find motivation where you can, and it is time to put in the work.

Pisces (February 19 - March 20): My advice is to be prepared. It is hard to see what is in store for you but it looks like you should try and be ready for anything. If you question if you need something, the answer might as well be yes. Better safe than sorry.
I like this girl, but I'm not quite sure to ask her out on a date. We had a good time at the Valentine's Day dance, but it was both of our first dates. I get butterflies everytime I see her. How should I get over my nerves?
Signed, Nervous Ravenclaw

Dear Nervous Ravenclaw,
I’m not personally great with this romance stuff. If you would like to ask this special girl on a date, I think you should take her to maybe her or both your favourite spots and ask her there. To get over your nerves, maybe take deep breaths, and think about how much you like this girl.

Dear Aunt Meg,
My sister spends too much time worrying about everyone else. How do I convince her it's okay to take time for herself every once and while?
- Time to Relax

Dear Time to Relax
Well, maybe you could do a relaxing activity together of some sort, and maybe tell her or show her then that this could be ways she could treat herself. But also let her know that you appreciate her help as well.

Hey Aunt Meg,
My sister will not get off my back and is telling me to "spend more time on my studies." I do just fine on my own. How do I get her off my back?
Fed Up

Dear Fed Up,
I think that it’s good that your sister wants you to focus on your studies. It shows that she cares about you and your studies, and possibly your future. But if you really want your sister to back off, I suggest that you talk to her. Tell her how you feel about it if possible.

Dear Aunt Meg,
I think I just realized I like someone, but now they're already dating someone else. What do I do??
- Too Slow to Go Steady

Dear Slow to Go Steady,
What I think you should do, is DON’T tell the person you like, that you like them. This will cause problems and a whole heap of drama that you really don’t want. If you really like this person, I think you should be happy and respect their wishes. And if it's meant to be, its meant to be.

Aunt Meg,
What's the best way to prank your roommates without them knowing?

Dear to whom this may concern,
Pranking your roommates seem fun! I’m honestly no prankster. But I think the best way to prank them without them knowing, is to try to set up your prank when they are not in the room, and maybe try to pull it off just before they wake up, as they will not be expecting it at all.

Dear Aunt Meg,
There are two girls in my mind and heart. Both are strong-willed and I care for both of them. The thing is one has always been there for me while the other has not. Yet, I can't seem to get over her. And, I want to try to give myself a chance at a relationship with the girl who has always been for me. I'm at loss.
Wandering Romantic

Dear Wandering Romantic,
I can totally understand where you’re coming from. It’s not easy to pick between two people. What I think, is that you should follow you’re heart. Your heart knows what you want. I personally think you should go with the one whose been there for you the most. But again, I strongly recommend listening to what your heart says.
"What scares you the most about Hogwarts life?"
iTYXrQn.png
Ravenclaw First Year
"Um. I guess the scariest thing would be the fact there isn't a fence around the forbidden forest and there's apparently monsters in there. So... that. And the memorials in the grounds?"
Kace Davies-Dilys
Slytherin Second Year
"Scares me? [laughs] Does the boys bathroom count? There is always some new funky smell coming out of there."
Arthurian Taylor
Gryffindor Third Year
"Being bored."
Ireland Mikaelson
Hufflepuff Fourth Year
"Living here friendless."
KUHZRFx.png
yNxZMnD.png
v6u4Mz4.png
NnyKT7W.png
Emily Underwood
Ravenclaw Fifth Year
"The fact that my life depends on a bunch of OWLS."
Teliko Snyder
Hufflepuff Sixth Year
"Knowing a jinx or hex could be waiting to hit me at any moment, it helps knowing I can also do that to someone else but... it's a worry sometimes."
Mazikeen Roe
Gryffindor Seventh Year
"Scares me? I think it's how much it consumes your life, it's everything, every day for months at a time. I'll graduate soon and the change from Hogwarts life to "normal" life I think will be difficult,"
Professor Harlow West
Arithmancy Years 3-4
"I would say going up and down those freaking stairs. Moving stairs is a nearsighted person's fear. [laughs]"
Editor's Note
With the publication of this issue I'm finishing up my first year as Editor of the Hogwarts Monthly, and it's been an incredible learning experience. This paper, as with all issues, could never have been finished without the hard work of all the members of Hogwarts Monthly who contributed their time and hard work to make it as amazing as it is, and I would be remiss if I didn't thank each and every one of them from the bottom of my heart. From all of us at Hogwarts Monthly, enjoy your holidays, and we look forward to sharing the news of the castle with you all again next year!

Grabbing the latest issue of HM, Nicole quickly flipped through it, pausing to skim the horoscopes briefly before moving to check the article she was really interested in. The Aunt Meg column was usually Nicole's go-to, that and the School Chatter section. She was always grateful to hear the sorts of things other kids were worrying about, and hopefully get some good advice. She'd been thinking about Ajax a lot lately, enough to ask Aunt Meg for some help, and she'd been eagerly waiting for the new issue to come out with some advice. Reading the article, she paused at the first letter, heart hammering. Was Ajax the Ravenclaw that had written in? Did he want to date Emma for realsies now? Nicole had been hyperbolic when she'd implied the guy she liked was dating someone else, but she was sure it was likely Ajax was at least partly interested in Emma. She was so much cooler and prettier and played Quidditch. Now she was certain. Gripping the paper a little tighter, Nicole read the response to her own question, feeling her stomach drop when Aunt Meg advised her to keep her mouth shut. Miserably, Nicole folded the paper and laid it on the table, dropping her chin into her palm with a dejected sigh.

Glancing at the newest HM issue as he had breakfast, Elliot nearly choked on his drink when he spotted his and Alice's names mentioned in the Valentine's article. He glanced over his shoulder, looking for Alice and feeling his face heat up wondering if she'd seen it. The idea of knowing other people had seen them together and thought they were cute was equal parts mortifying and bolstering. He hadn't been brave enough to officially ask Alice out yet, but he'd been enjoying whatever 'something' they were right now. Diana had intimidated Elliot pretty badly, but clearly at least Cyzarine thought they looked good together, so maybe he did have a chance making things work this time. Putting the paper aside before he could over think it, Elliot tried to focus on his breakfast instead of the fluttery feeling in his chest.

Hezekiah was unsure if he was ready for the school year to be over. It would be nice if he didn't have to deal with another set of annoying first years. The werewolf did not care to make his way all the way to the Professors' table, so he took a random seat with his back to the table. "Are you reading that?" he asked the student, @Nicole Fisk, next to him. But, Hezekiah picked up the newspaper before the girl could answer. "They didn't interview me this time, so it's no wonder you look disappointed," he complained as he read the front page.

Still feeling dejected, Nicole had to double-take when she realized the person who'd sat beside her wasn't actually a student. "Oh, hi Professor?" She said a little slowly, nodding in acquiescence as he took the paper. Professor Mowry was something of an enigma, but Nicole couldn't help but find him rather cool and mysterious, even if he was a bit rude at times. She tried not to flush when he mentioned her looking disappointed, moving to fuss with her hair. "I don't think they interviewed anyone, if it makes you feel better," She offered. "It's mostly Quidditch and clubs this issue."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back