Sexual Orientation
Straight (Gabriel)
Wand
Knotted 16 1/2 Inch Rigid Mahogany Wand with Boomslang venom Core
THE HOGWARTS MONTHLY: YEAR 34 ISSUE 2

tenor.gif

TIME FOR GOODBYES​
By: Sophie Wilson
For my final issue of the paper, I'm honored to write the headliner personally. I would like to thank everyone who has read the paper over the past three years, whether you just pick it up once or twice or wait with bated breath for the next issue. Without an audience, this paper could not exist. And I believe it's a wonderful addition to Hogwarts life, a tradition I hope will continue long after I graduate.

But enough about me. Many things happened in this semester, which you can read all about in this issue. As always, the electives fair was hosted for second years, with professors explaining and answering questions about their subjects so they can make an informed choice about their electives for the third year. It's a tough decision at such an early age, but the professor work hard to make sure they answer any lingering questions. If you still aren't sure what to do, you should ask your Head of House for advice. That's what they're here for, after all. Many clubs held various events around the castle, all of which is covered later on in this issue, as well as the Valentine's events and what happened on the Quidditch Pitch this semester. I hope you'll enjoy this issue of Hogwarts Monthly, and that you'll continue to read future issues.
THE VALENTINE'S DANCE
By: Leda Layton
So, we've had that time of year again, when everyone dresses up and sports their favourite outfits to try and impress one another at the Valentines dance, and this year was no different! The Great Hall was once again filled with decorations and people who seemed all loved up and ready to go, and there were a few notable couples that I think are worth pointing out this year which we will get to in a moment. Of course this event followed on from the Rose Giving, and I think it’s safe to say that some of the consequences of that were present at this dance.

Now you may have noticed that the main theme of the night was couples, and there were plenty of those! First of all we had a very cute pair, Alice Holland and Blake Irons (the latter by the way should definitely be watched out for in years to come, thanks to the Slytherin Quidditch team, no bias here!) All the Holland sisters over the years have shown that they can be graceful, and yet strong when required, a credit to the Minister for Magic no doubt. Naturally there is always one though that lets the side down, and on this occasion Ravenclaw isn’t always the smartest house. Let’s hope Charlie Madison can continue to put up with her girlfriend, and that the Holland sisters can continue their attempts to guide her and others in the right direction. Alice is an excellent example for not just the Hollands but others in the school too, so if you’re looking for outfit tips, or ways to talk to your date, she’s one to follow! Now, moving on to some of the boys of note, Blake wasn't the only member of the team that seemed to enjoy his evening - Derek Tahana and Sapphire Michaels managed to sneak in a little dance, and actually, correct me if I'm wrong, they make quite a cute couple. Xavier Macintosh, also looked very smart while attending the dance with his side piece. and little Lysander Summers was the most adorable, after he came with the fanciest date of them all; Fuzzfeathers. I’d personally like to see more of students bringing along someone they actually care about, rather than someone they think will increase their personal reputation, so do feel free to include more of your beloved pets next year (although please don’t forget to bring pet related snacks and doggy bags).

I think it’s safe to say, that on school events like this, some students can get a little ahead of themselves. While it’s all well and good fun getting involved, spending the time organising what you're going to wear and who you’re going with, it can all get a bit much once you’re actually there. For example, for as many good evenings you have, there are bad evenings too. While it’s never nice to realise that your drama has been spread around the school, it’s still important to check up on your friends that have fallen behind, and may need a little helping hand in this troubled time. Elio Zephyr and Rowan Baros managed to leave the hall not in the best of terms, as did Willow Cullen and Noelle Maxwell, who seemed to abandon the event not too long after joining. I do hope everyone who is struggling in their relationships can learn to heal from them, and that if anyone who is having trouble around this time of year, with their friends or their relationship, talks to someone who cares.

But back on a positive note, even if you didn't end up having a good evening, there is always next year! Perhaps by then you will have plucked up the courage to talk to your crush, purchase a new owl, or finally gotten out of your awkward phase. With any luck, this event will continue for years to come, and provide a delightful array of stories and mishaps for all to revel in, while reading over their breakfast. Until next time!
AdolescentOldfashionedAlligatorsnappingturtle-size_restricted.gif
ROSE GIVING 2050!
By: Cyzarine Haden
“A rose by any other name would smell as sweet.”

There is something so wonderful about roses. Roses can be a difficult flower to grow, but for the past few years, the Hogwarts Roses have pushed so beautiful and the rose giving sees them distributed out to the students. Filling the air with their sweet scent and beautiful colours and spreading love to every part of the school.

The rose giving of 2050 has been and gone, but much like the years before it, it has passed wonderfully. This year the event was organised by Kauri Tipene, Alice Holland and Tomas Wade. All of whom deserve the biggest congratulations on such a wonderful event. It was slickly organised, it was a wonderful day and they went above and beyond to ensure each special rose was handed out. A thanks does also go to Norton Gillespie and the Wild Patch Club for the roses they grew for the event, they were as beautiful as ever! The rose giving is such a beautiful event and is impossible without all these people who put the work in to be sure that it runs. A special thanks should also be given to all the rose delivers, who do give up some of their time to spread the love to all their recipients. The event would so not be possible without their hard work, so let’s give a round of applause to those people too. And of course, lastly to all of those who sent roses, without you folk, we wouldn’t have had a job to do.

Personally my favourite part of the rose giving is seeing how involved everyone chooses to be, whether they were flowery clothing, flowery flower crowns, whether it was just meeting up with a person they cared about or giving the time of day to a friend. It was all about spreading love, feeling positive and allowing yourself to love freely. Love is always such a vital thing, we all need love to survive, even the grouchiest professor, Professor Styx has found love. Love is love is love is love. Platonic, or deep passionate love, all of those can be shown in the roses. Yellow roses of friendship still show love!

Take some time today to say thank you to all of those involved in the rose giving. Take some time to thank all of the people who gave you roses and take some time to say I love you to someone in your life. Everyone should always be reminded that they are loved by those around them.
HOROSCOPES

By: Poppy Perkins
Agony Aunt
By: Anonymous
(ooc: Sydney Townsend)
Ares (March 21 - April 20) It is time for you to clear the air and get closure on difficult issues that may be bothering you. It may be what's been blocking you lately.

Taurus (April 21 - May 21) You are approaching a time to rethink relationships. When you’re too focused on your goals it is easy to think about the people around you.

Gemini (May 22 - June 21) It is one thing to be straightforward but it’s better to think before you speak, before it gets you into trouble. Try writing it down first.

Cancer (June 22 - July 21) If you have been blocking yourself off, try and think about why that is. Don’t be afraid to let people in but don't be pressured into sharing when you’re not ready.

Leo (July 22 - August 21 ) Don’t put other people’s needs before your own. You easily commit to people but make sure you are receiving the same energy in return. Get some space.

Virgo (August 22 - September 23) Now is the time to make the changes you’ve been wanting to make. Listen to your intuition. Try talking to new people, it could lead to some great new connections.

Libra (September 24 - October 23) It looks like there are going to be opportunities to make big changes. Use your drive an energy to make good decisions, and not do anything too outrageous.

Scorpio (October 24 - November 22) Now is not the time to be a spectator. Let the world see your talents and use your skills to make yourself known. And pay attention to those who notice.

Sagittarius (November 23 - December 22) It might be best for you to take some time for yourself. Take your time to see what comes your way, rather than constantly being on the hunt.

Capricorn (December 23 - January 20) Surrounding yourself with the right people makes any work faster and easier. I know you would rather work by yourself, but try to keep an open mind.

Aquarius (January 21 - February 19) As the school year comes to an end it is important to give it one last push to finish strong. But be wary of the ones you keep around you, they may be worse than being alone.

Pisces (February 20 - March 20) If you’ve felt stuck there might be a shift coming that will clear the things that have been holding you back. It's a good time to branch out and talk with people different from you.
Dear Agony Aunt,

So. My brother has always been past the boundaries affectionate. Now he's found someone just as affectionate as he is. Don't get me wrong, it's nice to not always have him draped out over me. But they're in separate houses and separate years. Now he just mopes all the time when he's not with his new person. It's annoying. Any thoughts to cheer him up?

The Annoyed Twin

I feel like you probably know your brother better than I would, but it sounds like he just likes showing people that he cares. People show their love in lots of different ways. Maybe you should try showing some of yours back. Or at the very least go get his boyfriend to help, isn’t that half the point of them being together in the first place?

---
Dear Agony Aunt,

I don't know what to do after Hogwarts, and I'm graduating in a week. I'm so scared of life after Hogwarts that I try not to think about it too much, but I can't ignore it any longer. I know I have time to find what I really want to do, but it feels like everyone else has these great ideas already. I just wish I could stay here. What should I do?

Reluctant seventh year

You’re never going to figure anything else if you hide here all the time. Enjoy your freedom! And it’s not like anything bad will happen if you need time to figure out things after school anyway. There’s no timeline for success or your life, as long as you’re still alive, that is. If you’re so afraid of stepping out and growing up, come back next year and do my Herbology homework for me.

---
Dear Agony Aunt,

My best friend and me used to be really close, and hung out all the time, but then they told me they have feelings for me. I don't reciprocate it and now I feel like I've lost the one person I actually connected with. We don't even talk anymore!

SadLion

Have you tried talking to them? You’d be surprised how many times people don’t and just stare at each other longingly. Your friends aren’t mind readers. But they may need some time to get their own feelings sorted out, so you should toughen up and have that awkward talk with them about it. And if they don’t want to be friends because you won’t date them, they’re probably dumb anyway and you can do better.

---
Dear Agony Aunt,

I... can't believe I'm doing this. But... I got a pink rose. No note. And I realized that there was someone I wanted it to be from. No sooner than I figured it out though, he kissed me and immediately took it back. Now I don't know what to do. I like him, but almost as soon as I knew I did he broke my heart. What do I do?

Broken Baker

Well it sounds like you just saved yourself a lot of time and trouble with him at least. If he’s too much of a coward to do anything more than kiss and run, you’re better off, since it sounds like he would have wimped out on you eventually. Be glad he saved you the trouble and move on. Bake some cookies and don’t let him any. I think you’re due some petty revenge on this one.

---
Dear Agony Aunt,

I'm just about to graduate, but I'm sure there's more I could learn while at Hogwarts. My time here has gone by so quickly, and even though I've tried to do as much as I can to prepare for the real world, what happens if I get there and I'm not ready?

Pinky

Maybe you should get together with our Reluctant Seventh Year so you guys can realize you’re not alone. Do you upper year students just never talk to each other? The only way to find out if you’re ready is to try, and you’re not going to have much a choice of the matter anyway. Besides, you spent the last seven years learning, or at least “trying” to learn. So why not spend the next seven and beyond learning too. That doesn’t stop just because you don’t have Professor Pendleton telling you what to do all the time. The “real world” is just school except you don’t have to follow the rules anymore. Enjoy it.
CLUBS AND EVENTS
By: Nell Wright
With the year drawing to a close, one very important event on next year's calendar is already looming on the horizon. And that's the Club Fair! With so many clubs to offer at Hogwarts, it can be really hard to decide which direction your interests lie. Which is why I joined every club! So I can give you the scoop right here and now, and help you make that oh-so difficult decision come next year's fair!

Up first let's talk about the clubs I've been known to say I don't understand, and this semester I understand them less than ever. Heta Omega kicked things off with a slumber party, which was pretty fun! Truths were told and dares were dared, and everyone had a pretty great time! I have to take offense at the Brotherhood's choice of event, though. A trivia night! Are only boys good at trivia now? I would like to remain on the record as saying these clubs are both stupid and make no sense. The trivia night was fun, according to people who were allowed to go. I wouldn't know. So rude.

Into what should have been less controversial waters though, the Student Defense Association has been busy this semester! You can read all about their Dueling tournament elsewhere in this paper, but what I'm here to talk about is frankly the most chaotic club meeting I've ever seen. The SDA teamed up with the Wild Patch to plant a Wiggentree, a fun and innovative way of combining both clubs' purposes, in my opinion. What was not so nice, though, was the behaviour of the club members, on all sides. Fight after fight, and I know I wasn't the only one horrified when actual violence broke out. Can't people at this school just plant a tree without drama?!

Blessedly, that brings us to the last clubs on the list. While it may seem that things have been quiet meeting-wise from Hogwarts Monthly and our fellow creatives over at Accio, all hands have been on deck to ensure that you, the students, have every opportunity to enjoy the monthly and yearly publications you've grown so used to. And with that said, we've covered every club event in this blisteringly busy semester! Signing off once again, I'm Nell Wright, and I joined every club so you don't have to.
giphy.gif

QUIDDITCH IN A FLASH
By: Sophie Wilson
Whoever you are, wherever you like to hang out, it's impossible to completely ignore the Quidditch craze that sweeps the school every year. Believe me, I've tried. But here, once again, I've been tasked with writing a summary of this Quidditch season. Let's get into it.

The first match of the year was covered in the previous issue, so we start off here with the second match of the year. Gryffindor versus Slytherin. It's said that there's an ancient rivalry between these houses, and it seemed to show during this match.Tension was heavy between the two seekers, and the Slytherin beater Sapphire Michaels seemed to be trying very hard to take out the Gryffindor seeker personally. But before anything worse could happen to the seeker, the other seeker managed to grab the snitch. Leda ended the game quickly, starting the season well for Slytherin.

After this match, Gryffindor had to save face during their next match against Ravenclaw. There isn't much to write about this match, as it ended even faster than the previous one. Young alternate Lysander Summers managed to hit a bludger at the Ravenclaw beater, but then the match ended quickly with a snitch catch for Gryffindor. It seemed like Willow wanted to redeem herself, or maybe she just got very lucky. Gryffindor won after only a few moments, establishing their third place this year.

The big finale for the cup this year was between Hufflepuff and Slytherin. Both teams had new captains this year, though for April Ward it was her first and final chance of getting the cup. I'm sure you've all seen how that went. The Hufflepuff chasers started the game off well for their team, but before long Leda had captured the snitch for Slytherin, ending the match in a victory for Slytherin for the second time in a row.

Because they won the cup, Slytherins had an extra match against the French school of Beauxbatons. With almost the entire school cheering for them, was it really any wonder that they won? Alternate seeker Blake Irons was put in the game, and won the game for Slytherin and Hogwarts glory by catching the snitch fairly quickly. We'll see if the French team will come back for revenge next year.
"What's one thing not taught at Hogwarts that you would like to study?"
sOoye8I.png
Gryffindor First Year

"How to make prank items and other cool magical objects! I think that's not a class, anyway... but it should be!"
Daintree Vaskevold
Slytherin Second Year

"Any other sport? Like Rugby or hockey. It's quidditch or nothing."
Madeline Kaimarama
Gryffindor Third Year

"Dragons!"
Emily Madison
Gryffindor Fourth Year

"Oh man more like outside stuff, like swimming or whatever, like, actually using the lake! Or beach trips! Or, like, art classes!"
KEIeDuE.png
SLwOiEM.png
axm5Mur.png
YwzZTC8.png
Marlowe Moors
Hufflepuff Fifth Year

"I don't want to come off the wrong way and especially not off brand, but I'd like to learn more about Dark Magic, like what is out there that I might need to protect myself from and things like that."
Hermione Walden
Slytherin Sixth Year

"I'd love to have studied alchemy, its such a fascinating subject that only gets covered in brief during History of magic,"
Jackson Cade
Ravenclaw Seventh Year

"I'd like to learn more about food charms, its not something that gets covered much in Charms and it would be cool to know more,"
Professor Cyndi Kingsley
Ancient Runes Years 3-4

"A course solely dedicated to healing spells like what is it the muggles call it... oh, right! First Aid. A course like that. "

Editor's Note: Well, this is it. My final issue of Hogwarts Monthly after three years as editor, as well as being part of the club since my first year. I'm grateful to anyone who has read the paper over the past years and everyone who contributed to it. I'm leaving the paper with confidence to Joshua Toubia, as editor next year. Perhaps you will read more from me in the future. Thank you and farewell.
Editor: Sophie Wilson

Even though Sydney got a lot of sneak peeks of articles and layout working on the paper, it was always nice to grab a copy of the paper in print when it was finally all finished. If Sydney was the sentimental type, she'd feel sad that Sophie Wilson was also leaving as their editor, though she was mostly concerned what their new editor would be like. At least Sophie had seemed to have a clear head and actual concerns about student integrity and expression. Who knew what Joshua would be like.

Flipping through the paper, Sydney smirked to herself as she read through the sections, proud of what the club had put together. She was also grateful no one had had time to pick up a writing about the dueling tournament. She was determined not to cover it herself after Professor Alicastell's ridiculous decision to disqualify her for Eric's awful behavior. She'd probably still have to find a way to get even, with both Eric and the Headmistress.

Geo knew Sophie had always been proud of the paper since she’d first joined, and the Hufflepuff was proud to see how far she’d come with it over the years. After picking up the last couple she’d ever read, the blonde was reading through it with tears in her eyes, emotional that their times were nearly coming to an end. She read the answer from the Agony Aunt too, and wondered who the others were that submitted questions, but she was grateful for all the responses. It had been unlucky that Huffleuff hadn’t quite won the cup that year, but she knew they were a strong team, and they’d always have time in the future to best Slytherin again. Placing the newspaper down, Geo went in search of her best friend, and when she found her, wrapped her arms round the Ravenclaw before she could say no. She didn’t say anything, she felt like anything she did say, Sophie already knew, but she stood there for a moment, appreciating the time they had left.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back