History of Magic Classroom Policy (Years 1 - 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Classroom Notice

Welcome to History of Magic! Professor Moncrieffe is keen to get everyone engaged in the joys of history - and even if you aren't terribly interested in history, to feel encouraged to ask questions and hunt for answers. A good student accepts what they are told as fact - a great one doesn't. It is hoped that you, dear students, learn more than just dates and names in this classroom, but more about yourselves, and to analyze and consider. The historical facts are just a nice bonus.

There aren't too many hard and fast rules within the classroom. Please don't talk when the Professor is talking (or when your classmates are), and please show respect to everyone around you - the Professor and your classmates included. We do not tolerate bullying or disrespectful behaviour in this classroom. Please do however feel encouraged to speak up when appropriate and do not hesitate to ask questions or to visit Professor Moncrieffe's office if you have any issues or concerns, or would just like a reasonable adult to speak to about anything that's bothering you, inside or outside the classroom. As long as you make an appointment. And not too early in the day or late at night. For your own good.

(Which is also to say, please feel free to PM me if you would like to plot or just start a thread in the office if you would like something small scale!)

Lessons and Grades

There is no word count; Lessons will be graded based on participation and the quality of your student’s work. Roleplaying your student as present and doing the required work for each lesson will typically earn an O. Sometimes I may ask you to respond to a question for full marks (though it will usually require minimal effort). Please at least try and show in your RP that you have read the lesson. If it's very obvious you haven't (i.e. you have responded to a different Professor, you have sat in the class taking notes on a field trip lesson etc) then I will give lower marks. I know we all have very busy lives and I don't expect anything extensive, but I do appreciate you taking a couple of minutes to read the lessons when you are doing them. You are also welcome to deliberately disobey instructions for RP purposes, but I reserve the right to give lower marks!

I may not make it obvious in each class, but you are always welcome to RP asking questions in the middle of a lesson. Please tag me if you do and I will do my best to provide an answer. I will never take points or lower grades for a character misunderstanding or wanting clarity and asking for help as I am not going to punish active participation!

Any and all homework or extra-credit will be clearly stated at the end of the lesson and is completely voluntary. Essays are never mandatory, including in exams (if applicable). Extra credit may receive varying amounts of extra points based on the quality of work and effort shown. Sources or credit is also required if used for any essays or homework. Plagiarism is not tolerated, and this includes copy/pasting sections for essays.

If you wish to roleplay anything specific regarding your lessons (such as specifically lower marks, or additional studies for extra credit) please send me a PM and we can work something out. I may not always be in a position to accommodate anything RP intensive due to real life but I will try my best and work with you.

Make-up Lessons

Lessons are posted according your class schedule each week and will be available for approximately 2 weeks (or thereabouts). Once lessons start being archived I will post the make-up thread for missed classes. Posting in the make-up section will not have any negative effect on your characters' grades - I will grade make-up lessons just the same as the regular classes. Make-up will be available until the end of the exam period each semester, so please try to get in your lessons before the semester ends! If you are unable to post during the semester for any reason, please reach out to me via PM.

(I may not get around to make-up when life is busy but if that is the case I will leave lessons open all semester.)

Exams

Exams will be posted at the end of semester, Week 8, starting on that Monday. Since I am in AEST (GMT +10) you will probably notice lessons get posted early-ish, usually evening on the relevant days my time (possibly even the day before). In the interest of fairness for time zones I will keep exams open until the Thursday afternoon/evening my time, but will close them at that point. Please let me know if you would like to submit an exam but will not be able to make that timeframe as some exceptions may be made. Please note, exams are not required to "pass" this class or enrol in Upper Year classes.

Many careers require an 'A' or above in NEWT History of Magic. If you want some clarity on whether you need History of Magic for your career goals, don't be afraid to ask!

(Credit to Kris for the classroom rules post that I have only slightly tweaked!)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back