Winnie Calida

Queen Bee

Blood Status
Half Blood
Relationship Status
It's Complicated
Wand
Curved 17 Inch Unyielding Laurel Wand with Unicorn Hair Core
Winnie's list of professors to meet, had brought her to history. She didn't mind that in the slightest. History wasn't a subject she loved, but she knew that of all the subjects it would be the easiest. She'd be able to learn the subject matter with ease, and the exams would be a breeze. History was easy, especially at their level, opinions wouldn't matter, facts would. The girl arrived at the professor's office and she knocked on the professor's door. Stepping back and brushing down her skirt and shirt though both were perfect, with not a thing out of place.

Gabrielle's desk had, within about five minutes, looked as though a bomb had been dropped on it with the volume of scattered papers, books and the like. Organization was unfortunately not her strong suit. Her office didn't often see many guests, however, which was fine by her - and of course just as she thought that a knock came at the door. She wondered who it might be, all the other professors were busy settling in and getting Miranda to stop by could be like pulling teeth. "Just a moment," she called, brushing herself off and throwing her robes haphazardly back on over her comfortable muggle clothes. Hoping there weren't any stray pens or paperclips caught up in her hair, she went over to open the door to see a young student - a new first year, she presumed. "Oh, hello, how can I help you?"

Winnie didn't have to wait too long for the door the open. She had heard the just a moment, and took a little step back, just giving the professor more space. She looked at the woman who opened the door, not exactly what she'd expected but the woman seemed frazzled perhaps. "Hi, Professor Moncrieffe, I'm Winnie, I'm one of your first year students this semester. I was wondering if you had a couple of minutes, I just want to introduce myself and I had a couple of question around how best I can prepare for your lessons," she said with a polite smile.

Gabrielle leaned in the doorway, lips curving in mild amusement. It was odd to see students so enthusiastic - history wasn't as obviously exciting as classes like Charms or Transfiguration. Although perhaps this girl was just very eager to meet all the professors before the semester started. "Well, how refreshing! A pleasure to meet you, Winnie. I'd invite you in for tea, but I'm afraid my office isn't fit for human life at the moment," she admitted, dryly. As for how to prepare, she frowned in thought for a moment as she considered what to say. "It's less a case of knowing the work before - not everyone has the privilege of a magical upbringing, so we try to start simple. The main thing you'll want to be confident in is writing. Being able to present legible works with sentences that make sense is the bare minimum, which I'm sure you're more than capable of," she added, figuring a girl who actively went out of her way to greet professors before the semester commenced was no doubt academically inclined. "How are you at taking notes from lectures? Or finding things in the library?"

Winnie was pretty sure that the professor not inviting her in was a sign that the office was probably a bit busy, but she wasn't about to push it. Winnie was there to meet the professors not judge them in front of them. She gave a little nod, as the professor outlined the aspects of the semester that they'd be doing. She nodded along, like most they would be starting with a very basic level. It wasn't the worst thing. "I'm better at research than taking notes, but I can do both well. But if you have any tips on how I can improve at note-taking, and any books on improving sentence structure, I'd welcome it. There's always room for improvement," she said with a smile. She didn't think she really needed help, but she wanted to appear interested and keen.

Gabrielle was starting to wonder if she was being pranked, in all honesty. Though, Minnie did seem entirely earnest in her enthusiasm. It was just unexpected. Better that than immediately switching off at the thought of a more theoretical subject. "Wow, impressive," she replied, nodding thoughtfully. "Not often anyone your age has a good handle on research techniques. We will most likely be checking in with the library in the first few weeks, but you've already got a bit of a head start." She thought for a moment about what advice she could give, leaning more against the doorframe as she pondered. "Certainly seems like you've had the benefits of a good education. Are you much of a reader? For fun, that is. I only ask because really, it's a way for you to learn and unwind at the same time." Gabrielle gave a slightly softer smile at that. "I can point you to grammatical resources for improvement, of course, just make sure you aren't piling your plate too high too quickly."

Winnie gave a little nod. "My mother was very insistent on me attending muggle school and receiving extra tutoring, ma'am," she told the professor with pride in her voice, since she knew it had all been so she'd have the techniques necessary now that she was in theory on her own. She could continue all of it without too much issue. She tilted her head a little as the professor asked if she read for fun, it was an odd thing to ask. "I have ways of unwinding," she assured the professor, though Winnie was lying about it. "Please, I would appreciate the pointers,"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back