Hey you, heads up!

Andromeda thought perhaps she was overreacting, if some first years were having some fun who was she to ruin it for them. Deciding it was so not worth the hassle she began to walk away with all the intentions of simply walking back to her dorm and changing her clothes. Well she had until an older boy stuck his head out of the window and shouted at her.

Andromeda's good day turned swiftly on its head, she may have dyed her hair but that didn't mean her red haired temper still wasn't in effect. Fuming she turned her broom around in her hand as if it were a bow staff and though she had no intention of using it as a weapon, if she had to she would crack it over the boys head. She would never forget that awful laugh or that face looking down at her all serious like as if she were at fault.

Walking briskly she headed directly to the front entrance, she was so going up that stairs to confront him. What if he wasn't working alone? She banished the thought from her mind quickly and pulled open the front door with the might of 'Samson' if possible. It banged back against the wall and there in the door way Andromeda stood dripping wet, clutching her broom and really, really ticked off. She noted a few things when she stepped in, the wet floor and other burst balloons. It would be possible to blame these things on poltergeists if the school had any but knowing better Andromeda made her way to the staircase only to see as if he hadn't a care in the world the boy who had been at the window.

He was also in the company of Estrella, the prefect. Thank goodness she caught him.

"Hi Estrella, you managed to catch him then. I'm this condition thanks to his little prank" she knew normally she might have given just as good back but his remark irked her considerably. With hands on hips now she glared at him.

Estrella smiled warmly back at Kale- she never really had hated him, even all of last year. She thought that she had reacted so badly because she had cared too much, and then, she had not been over the prospect of the break up itself. Even though it sort of seemed like he had slowed down to be at the same pace as her she struggled to keep the same stride- the kid was so danged tall. Every guy that she knew seemed to tower over her this days, especially since those younger than her now were shooting up. She could not surpress a broad grin as he scratched at his head; it was one of those things that she had always adored about him, although Merlin knew that at this point she would never bring it up. At the moment, she was okay to be just friends, even if she did care about him a great deal.

Her eyes brightening as Kale spoke about Morgan, she added, "That'd be really great. I need to do some catching up with her- Merlin, has she graduated already? Or is she still in seventh year?" She all of a sudden couldn't remember if Morgan was two or three years older than her.

Estrella's lip pursed as she observed where Kale was leading them- especially with him sticking his head out the window and yelling, she knew someone was bound to recognize him. She just hoped her prefecture would carry her through. She shrugged, smiling minutely. "As excited as I can be- I hope it kicks off the ground this year, ya know? How's Slytherin doing? It's been really hard to get Ravenclaw recruits."

The grin melted off her face as the two were suddenly approached by a drenched Andromeda- she recognized the girl clearly now, and she looked extremely peeved off. At command, she straightened her posture, all humor disappearing from her face. She hoped that Kale would take her acting in jest, coughing a bit as she observed the girl with narrowed eyes. "Andromeda, was it?" she stated, surpressing the laughter that threatened to burst forth from her throat- the girl was quite a comical sight, drenched from head to toe.

A minute smile broke out onto her face, almost sinister. But Andromeda could easily have interpreted it as glee for catching a miscreant so she wasn't worried. In fact, she felt a little bad for the girl. "Yes, I am sorry about that. Are you alright, sweetie? I don't think this fellow here is going to enjoy writing lines too much." She knew that Kale knew she intended to do no such thing, but she didn't even glance at him, knowing that her gig was up if her eyes met his; she knew that she would burst into laughter upon the connection.

"The triplets just graduated." he said with a nod. Wow, that means less than three years I will be too. Kale thought to himself, his expression was still pulled into a slight smile where he bore his teeth. That immediately got him to thinking about what he would do after Hogwarts. It was all a blur to what he was interested in and wanted to do for a career. He also couldn't get over the fact that things with Estrella and himself were going so smooth today, even though he still have a tad bit of a feeling like he should be walking on egg shells. Was that still really needed? Only time will tell.

Last year it was a bloody war between the two, being in the same room was a personal version of hell for Kale because he was afraid his life was in jeopardy. The threat of getting holes burned into the back of his skull wasn't a warm and fuzzy thought that he enjoyed harboring in his big head. Yeah, Estrella could kick his ass. He wasn't afraid to admit that. All she had to do was grow a few more inches, or if there's a chair around...it would be her day. Kale chuckled at the thought and shook his head to compose his thoughts.

He was silent for a few moments, not finding the quiet uncomfortable. When he didn't have anything to say, normally Kale wouldn't just throw his words around. It was best to stay quiet in some cases. He listened carefully as Estrella spoke about quidditch, Kale nodded. He was satisfied with the team that Blake had put together, he was optimistic and keeping his hopes sky high. That is all that could be done. "Is the Ravenclaw team having a hard time putting a team together?" he inquired, his jaw tight and his eye brows pulled together at the center of his forehead. Kale remembered the previous years they never did seem like they had too much trouble organizing a team. He really did hope the best for them. Especially because Estrella and Lily really did have talent on the pitch and he thought it shouldn't go to waste. "Slytherin actually doing a surprisingly good job. Blake is captain, we're both beaters." he said with a goofy grin, the thought of quidditch always did that to him. "Maybe some time we could go out and practice on the pitch or--" Kale stopped in mid sentence as he saw an angry red head marching their way, and he cocked his head to the side at how silly what he said must have sounded before he came to an abrupt yield.

As Estrella perked up and suddenly appeared to be using her authority to her advantage Kale didn't get the gest at first. He raised an eyebrow and looked at the red head and looked back at Estrella, she wasn't making eye contact with him...that was when he caught on. Ohhhhhh... Kale exhaled and looked at the girl, it was his time to ham it up. He rolled his eye animatedly and exhaled with extra force behind it, "I hate writing lines, just as much as I hate prefects and Gryffindors." Kale said, he was pulling the Slytherin card to an extreme. His last statement definitely wasn't true, since Bruin Dumbledez was his best friend. "You really need to learn how to take a joke." Kale said to Estrella and turned to the drenched Gryffindor, following with shooting her a disgusted look. It took all that he had to hold back laughter, especially at a time when he wanted to roll on the floor. If Kale had made eye contact with Estrella at that moment, that would have blown both of their covers; which was why he kept his eyes on the Gryffindor who had the luck of getting hit by the Ravenclaw Prefects balloon.

Looking somewhat delighted that one of the stricter prefects had caught the pup, Andromeda felt as if she could mellow a small bit.
"I'm alright Estrella thanks, nothing a warm towel won't cure. He's just lucky he got me and not some professor or something. Make sure its plenty of lines with long difficult words" suddenly her nose began to twitch and her eyes began to water, knowing this might happen from standing around too long as it was in wet clothing, Andromeda did her best to suppress a sneeze; for a second it worked and then it didn't.
"Aaaa..tishhooo!" now she glared anew at the boy who really didn't look at all as if he was in the least bit sorry. Grateful for the prefect patrol Andromeda thought it best to get to her dorm fast and change her clothing.

"Thanks again Estrella" she muttered attempting to stifle another sneeze. Slytherin.
Andromeda had never had anything against this house but she was beginning too, just ever so slightly. Making her way to the stairs she knew she would have to walk past the boy who looked as if he were nearly 17 he was so tall.

"Aren't you a bit big to be playing with balloons?" she goaded him but as she passed him in a quieter voice she muttered, "this is so not over Slytherin not by a long shot". Being half Italian and half Irish Andromeda had always had a fanciful notion when it came to vendettas and revenge. This was the first time since she got to Hogwarts that she wanted to exact some and if it killed her, she would. Continuing up the steps away from the culprit and his jailer, she couldn't help but smile to herself at least not before another attack of sneezing hit her.

Smirking, Estrella opened her mouth to speak, musing about the fact that Morgan had just graduated. She herself had a little over two years. It was quite mind boggling; it seemed that just yesterday she had entered first year and had been sorted into Ravenclaw. "Yeah, I'd like-" she started, having been taken aback by his last admission but pleased nonetheless. However, before she could formulate an adequate response, Andromeda had stepped right in front of them.

Estrella was quite glad that Kale caught on at an opportune time; she did not know what she would have done if he hadn't acted quickly. She was not sure whether to laugh or feel pity for Andromeda's rather wet condition- her lips curling into a sly smirk, she was careful not to meet Kale's eyes and was glad that he was acting it out.

I hate prefects and Gryffindors- puh lease! she thought to herself, taking all the restraint she had not to burst out laughing. "Oh, don't worry Andromeda- I'm a Ravenclaw. Writing words with me is going to be torture, isn't it?" Grinning to bare her teeth, she nodded to the girl. "Again, I am sorry for this creton's little prank- I hope you don't get sick over this." She winced as the girl sneezed audibly, the Ravenclaw prefect hoping that she wouldn't get sick herself. It was definitely cold season.

She could only smirk at Kale as the girl walked away, knowing that she would have to wait until the girl was out of sight to start sniggering. She didn't want to blow her cover until she was way out of this area. Who knew what other people Kale had infuriated? Andromeda's comment lingering in the back of her mind, hoping to high heaven that he hadn't actually hit a professor. Didn't Manteia patrol that corridor too? she thought with a gulp. She should have considered that fact earlier- but she had had fun nonetheless. "Nice one," she muttered out of the side of her mouth, her eyes glittering with amusement.

Kale so badly wanted to laugh out loud, but that would break his cover and jeopardize Estrella's authority. He smirked at the Gryffindor, if he were to say anything more to her he would break character. Kale snarled at the red head and scoffed. "Aren't you smart enough to watch where you're walking?" he mocked back at her water balloon comment. Realistically Kale knew that throwing water balloons at unsuspecting first years was very immature, that was why he did it. For shits and giggles, that's why he did anything now a day. It was funny to get reactions out of people that he craved for.

As the girl walked past Estrella and Kale to leave, he looked up at Estrella; having to bite his lower lip to keep himself from laughing. The Gryffindor's reaction was priceless and made his wasting his precious water balloons worth it. "Bless you fearless lion!" he bellowed as he heard her sneeze bounce off the walls, he tried his best to sound like a jerk. Kale was grasping his stereotypical Slytherin 'tude. Once the girl who Estrella had hit with the water bomb disappeared from the corridor, he finally let out a belly laugh his face was fixed in a silly expression as he grabbed his mid section.

"Thank you, thank you.." he said while bowing and curtsying. "You didn't do so bad yourself." Kale said with a small laugh, nodding at her with amused eyes. "I have a feeling like she's going to show some hostility towards me these next few years..." Kale grinned with satisfaction.

Estrella grimaced as she was forced to bite down hard on her lip, pain throbbing in the sensitive skin. She wouldn't be surprised if she had drawn blood. She was quite glad that her theatrics had held out for as long as they had, because otherwise she would have blown everything. It was enough that Kale would now have a Gryffindor vendetta on his head; that would have jeopardized everything for her considering her prefecture.

Fearless lion? Estrella mouthed to Kale as the girl had disappeared, a bout of laughter erupting from her throat as he let out a tremendous belly laugh. Laughter had always been contagious for her, and Kale's was no exception to that statement. Her eyes flickered with amusement as she attempted to contain herself, knowing that she would still have to keep her cover for any other victims of Kale's that strolled around the corner.

"Why, you are very welcome," she added quite primly to his theatrics, grinning broadly. "Now wherever would you get that feeling?" she laughed, her voice oiled heavily with sarcasm. "I have a feeling of my own that you are thrilled by the thought!"

Kale snorted, still stuck in his boisterous fit of chuckles. He inhaled deeply to contain himself, his face had turned to a deep shade of scarlet on his normally fair complexion. Kale exhaled the deep breath and finally collected his thoughts before connecting eyes with Estrella once more. For some reason all of this trouble making really brought memories back from old times. They seemed to connect well when it came to getting into mischief. He vividly remembered the summer that she stayed and her father and his mother decided to 'catch up'. Kale and Estrella weren't very enthusiastic about her father visiting so they went out in the front yard and got their parents blood boiling. They 'smooched' to get under her fathers skin, which also upset Nancy. Those were some interesting times..

He shook his head to push the memory aside. Kale shoved his hands into his pockets and continued to walk down the corridor and past the stair cases. He was heading in the direction of the lawns aimlessly. He nodded fervently at her comment, "Oh, thrilled is an understatement. I thought my enemy quota was getting pretty low, so a few angry underclassmen doesn't hurt." he confessed jokily with a devious smile. "Are you quidditch captain this year?" Kale inquired casually, he noticed that he was jumping back and fourth in the conversation but thought that since he was cut off by the Gryffindor girl the topic of quidditch hadn't dwindled down to a complete yield.

Grinning broadly, Estrella burst into a fit of giggles as a snort erupted from Kale, shaking her head as she looked to him, her dark eyes meeting his blue ones. It did indeed feel as if they were together again, a flood of memories rushing back to her. She did agree that those had been some of the high points of her life when she was with Kale, but now, she was okay with them being just friends. She liked having his company, that was for sure.

Laughing, she shook her head. It was best just to let those things go and enjoy the present. "You want enemies? My, too bad there isn't a way we could switch places. You'd have a ton on your head if-" her voice trailed off as she realized what she was saying, biting her lip. She had been a real b1tch last year and she knew it all too well. It was reflected in her small number of acquaintances, for Merlin's sake, and her rekindled fervor to actually begin reconnecting ties that she had severed.

Changing the subject quickly to Quidditch, which was less awkward in any case, she shook her head, snorting. "Me? Quidditch captain? Nah, Lily's better suited for the job. I do get to be keeper by default though- It's kind of nice that I don't have to try out. And what about you? Who's your captain this year?" She would have thought that in Ford's absence someone like Kale would have gotten the position, and she would normally have presumed that he had gotten it. But she guessed that he hadn't as he hadn't really said anything, and the Kale she knew would never be able to bottle something like that up.

Listening closely as Estrella spoke, Kale nodded his head as she spoke.

"I don't really enjoy having enemies...but Estrella Drage having tons of enemies? My...I would have never seen that happening. What did you do?" he inquired, his eyes widened with amusement. Kale did recall her attitude the previous year, but he thought that he was the only one receiving that treatment. Apparently not. If she decided not to explain in detail, he would just brush it off his shoulders. Kale never had been much of a pusher.

The corners of Kale's mouth creased into a small smile when Estrella said that Lily was captain. "That should be interesting. Blake is the Slytherin captain." he said with a laugh. Finding the fact that the couple would have to play against each other funny. "I actually wasn't sure if I was coming back to HNZ this year." Kale stated, "But I think Blake will do a good job. He seems determined to get things rolling."

Estrella's lips twisted into a smirk as Kale inquired about she could have possibly acquired enemies. "Really? Well, I think tons is an exaggeration- but you don't think I was quite the b1tch last year?" She laughed a bit nervously, knowing quite well that she had lived up to the very thing. People she had gotten along with well were drawn away from her- and she was finding it quite uncomfortable to even talk to Lily, her one and only roommate left.

She grinned as Kale mentioned Blake being Slytherin's quidditch captain. "Oh my- that is going to be interesting. I wonder if it's going to affect the game in any way?" She frowned, hoping that it wouldn't. It would be quite odd if either of them were reluctant to crush the other team because of their relationship. "I don't know Blake that well," she admitted, her head cocking to the side. "Why weren't you going to come back?" She was genuinely interested- this was definitely news to her.

Kale nodded his head fervently while wincing in Estrella's direction. He remembered the previous year quite well, not really wanting too. Since things had ended with Kaela it brought back familiar memories of how things would have been with him and Estrella if he hadn't ended up dating Kaela. Maybe last year wouldn't have been so rough on both Kale and Estrella? Maybe he wouldn't have have felt so uncomfortable right now. He couldn't push aside how things could have possibly been between all three of them if he didn't ruin their friendship that didn't seem like it could be mended. "So, you weren't only like that with me then?" he mused, his expression was relaxed. It was somewhat a relief to know that he wasn't the bane of her existence like it seemed before. That really made his time around her more enjoyable to know that he wasn't itching under her skin.

He was still walking with Estrella in the direction of the lawn, it was a calm day and not many people were out. Kale thought of this as a good thing considering he wouldn't have to worry about running into any of the girls that he hit earlier that day. Even though the second year Gryffindor was by far the most fun to mess with. Kale turned to Estrella when she questioned him about not coming back, "Well, Ma was thinking that since we live in Ireland it would be easier to go to Hogwarts Scotland this year, but since she is working for the Ministry in New Zealand she saw no point in staying since the triplets graduated from school now. Instead we're going to be living in New Zealand." Kale was unsure if he should be happy about the plan or not, he simply shrugged as his face fixed into an unreadable expression.

Estrella bit her lip, her eyes narrowing at a group of first year boys who were spending their time roughhousing. Well, she would keep an ear out in any case just to make sure that any real scuffles didn't break out- untrained situations with a rather weak control of magic could lead up to some pretty nasty situations. Her lips curled from a frown to a weak smile, indicating that indeed she had not really been angry with just Kale. "No- it wasn't just you at all. I was a big emotional mess last year." She knew why now, and was even all the more glad that she and Sophia had gotten rid of their abilities. It was quite nice to be in control of her own emotions, and it was quite reassuring that nothing around her was going to blow up. "So no. You weren't the only one I was a horrible prat to."

Her expression brightened as he brought up his family. She had always liked the Thomases, and that affection for them had still lasted even after Kale had broken up with her. "Oh? How is everyone dealing with the move? Were Mindy and Tarren excited? Well, it'll be less of a trek across the globe for you I suppose." She frowned a bit as a bit of grass crinkled under her boot, signifying that it was dying and winter was soon to come, a fact that she was not so enthralled to embrace.

Kale's eye brows met at the center of his forehead as he cocked his head to the side. He really did wonder what made her change her overall attitude about everything, Kale was thankful that she seemed much, much happier now than last year. Could he even see a better friendship forming out of this? Yes. Even though it would take some time. At least working at Flourish and Blott's won't be a stressful experience for Kale any longer, which was also a relief. With a shrug at his shoulders, he averted his attention over at the group of younger boys wrestling in the lawn. He wished he had his bucket of water balloons with him right then.

"I'm not really sure how they think about it now. Mindy is excited to do anything new really and Tarren, I never know what that kid is thinking..." he laughed, it was true. That boy was overly shy and a more complex than a mystery novel. Kale sighed, "It will be weird to come to a completely different house for a first time. I haven't even seen the house yet." he bit his bottom lip, for some reason this made him nervous.

Kale was silent for a few moments, still thinking about her comments about the previous year. He turned to Estrella, "I'm really sorry for not being as friendly as I should have to you last year.." Kale said, his expression soft and sincere. He shoved his hands even deeper into his pockets, hoping that she wouldn't still be accepting toward him. Kale really did want to try and be friends with Estrella, not just acquaintances that you see every so often around school.

Estrella smiled weakly at Kale, jamming her hands in her pockets as she struggled to keep up with his long stride, still amazed by the fact that he had gotten so tall in such a short period of time. She remembered that she had used to be the same height as him. She smirked, deciding that she wasn't really in the mood today to put a damper on anyone's fun. Heck, if she had still been in a bad mood she would have probably griped at Kale. She didn't feel the need to do that anymore however, deciding to take it all in stride.

"That's good that Mindy's adjusting- so both of them will come to school here then? Wouldn't Tarren come here next year?" She wondered if school would elevate Tarren's mood, as he didn't seem to be the socialite. Not around her or his family, anyways.

She shrugged, shaking her head. "Seriously, Kale, I wouldn't worry about it. The way I acted I'm surprised you're even talking to me now. Not that I mind." Her smile was quite warm as she looked back to him, her gaze trailing back to her feet. Were they going to be alright as friends? She sure hoped so. She liked having Kale for company.

"Yep, Tarren will be here next year. And Mindy two after that." Kale confirmed with a nod, it also followed with a hint of a smile. By the time Estrella was gone, Mindy would be at Hogwarts. That was a crazy thought, then Kale would be gone the year following. He shook his head to force the thought out of his head, since he had several years still facing him. Kale smiled at Estrella, "Can you believe that you've only got two more years stuck at this place?" he laughed, interested if Estrella was either nervous or looking forward for the 'grown up' world.

Kale rolled his shoulders and his neck it all following with a cacophony of his joints cracking; Nancy would have slapped him upside the head for doing it on purpose. She considered cracking fingers or any other part of the body uncouthly. He laughed at the thought. Kale listened as Estrella didn't accept the apology, instead she took the blame. "Well, I guess we both had our fair share of attitudes last year." he told her with a small grin playing at the corners of his most, it not big enough to show his teeth but it was definitely friendly. "Its actually nice to be talking with you civilly after a year or so.." Kale stated. He was being truthful, he missed the strange conversations that they used to have before things got stupid.

Estrella shook her head, breathing a sigh of disbelief. "It's incredibly hard to even think about! I mean, it feels like I was just a first year getting on the express for the first time. I didn't know anything then. Neither magically nor personally. You know," she smirked, her eyes brimming with amusement, "I want my innocence back!" She laughed. "Wow, Mindy is going to be in school then already? That's a crazy thought. I wonder what houses she and Tarren are bound for?"

She laughed at Kale cracking his neck, pretty sure that his mother would have had a fit- she could remember her aunt Maggie yelling at Luke for cracking his knuckles constantly. "Yeah-" she added, her voice trailing off and her lips spreading a bit further in a smile upon seeing Kale's friendly grin, "You know, I think so too. Being civil is much more- peaceful." She gave him a warm grin, fighting the impulse to punch him playfully in the shoulder. She remembered the time in the Hog's Head when she had met with her father and almost punched Kale- but at this point she didn't want to think about it. She felt like more of an arse now for it than she had then, despite the fact that prior to now her emotions had been raging out of control. She almost reveled in the fact that she could blame her family for it.

As Estrella shook her head and spoke about how much she missed being in her first year, Kale smiled. He remembered his first year very well, it seemed like everything was so simple when he was 12 years old. Now Kale had just turned 15 and things were crazier than ever, he still hadn't completely found himself or knew what he wanted. He was a happy teenage boy, but life was just as confusing as ever. "I'm pretty sure your innocence was gone far before your second year.." he laughed, shaking his head. Estrella always came off as the closet mischief maker. To him at least.

Kale nodded at her with a smug smile, "Mindy will be here in three years!" for some reason this excited him, it gave something for Kale to look forward to. Mindy was his 'baby sister' and it would be crazy to actually see her at school with the 'big kids'. Though that meant he would be overly protective of his sister, like what Nancy had taught him. "I think Tarren will be a Ravenclaw. I don't see him anywhere else since his nose is always shoved in those damn books." he said jokily, teasing his brother. Poor Tarren, he was more of the anti social types, kept to himself most to the time. "I dunno about Mindy though...she could go anywhere." But Slytherin...

"I agree. Being civil is much, much more easy. It was hard being an arse to you all the time." he exclaimed, his face pulling into a silly expression. "Let's try not to go back to that, deal?" Kale asked, he smiled slightly before sticking his large hand out before her to shake.

Estrella beamed, her eyes flickering in amusement as she recollected the many happenings of her first year. "How could you ever think that?" she stated, her voice a low drawl laced with sarcasm. "I was so incredibly innocent. I mean, I didn't explore the school or anything." She missed those days, but now, there wasn't much for her to explore. In any case, she was pretty sure she couldn't fit through the door in the sixth floor corridor as she had been able to in her first year. Or, for that matter, sneak into the Forbidden forest without being noticed.

She grinned, stating, "Wow- that'll be pretty neat having your baby sister in school! Even if it is just for a year. Almost makes me sad that I won't be able to have Mindy in school the same time as me." She smiled, knowing that it had to be an intense job protecting little siblings. She counted back the years on her fingers, knowing that she would be long gone from school before Erik would even be approaching his first year. "Wow, Erik won't even be going into school until at least 9 years from now." She grinned broadly. "A Ravenclaw? That would be pretty awesome. And hey, those damn books make one pretty smart." She laughed as she added, "I agree, Mindy could go anywhere. She's a sweetheart."

At the prospect of being civil, and knowing that her friendship with Kale was now mended, her expression brightened all the more. "Of course- much, much easier." Extending a hand that was rather small in comparison to Kale's, she grinned broadly. "Deal."

Professor Manteia strode down the corridor, his dress shoes echoing ominously with eack strike against the cold stone floor. He was on one of his rare patrols, although he did not expect that there would be any problems, particularly in one of his territories. There were voices coming from around the corner ahead that were becoming clearer as the distance between them closed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back