This is a roleplay outside of the site's canon.

Lysander Summers

Expelled • Legilimens • The One To Blame

OOC First Name
Jesse
Blood Status
Pure Blood
Relationship Status
Single
Sexual Orientation
Bisexual
Wand
Straight 11 ½ Inch Sturdy Maple Wand with Ashwinder Dust Core
Set in September 2055, during COMC 7:2

Lysander didn't think it was possible to love Care of Magical Creatures classes more than he already did, right up until Professor Burleigh sent them on a field trip to see some dragons. Lysander was absolutely ecstatic, his hands already shaking with anticipation as his fingers wrapped around the familiar kettle Burleigh used as a portkey. He barely registered the tugging sensation behind his naval, more focused on the blurred shapes around him as the school's scenery melted away, replaced by the darker tones of the shaded sanctuary chambers. The atmosphere was far warmer, a large part he had to guess was due to the searing flames that occasionally engulfed corners of the dragon's dens. Even with the protective barriers, the area radiated heat, the moderate spring air feeling a lot closer to that of a hot Summer. Lysander rolled up his sleeves and took a map, wasting no further time in stepping away to depart from the group. He'd seen dragons before, particularly the antipodean opaleyes that were native to New Zealand, but there appeared to be some on the pamphlet he'd not had a chance to see up close before, and he knew he had to make the most of their short time.

After some time of pressing his face up against the semi-transparent fields around the dragon enclosures, and pestering keepers with his questions, Lysander came across a classmate who, apparently, lacked even the smallest fragment of the same enthusiasm for being there that he did. There always seemed to be something going on with Connor Holland. His name was in everyone's mouths more often than not lately. The Head Boy hadn't even been able to stomach an entire prefects meeting, though rumour was that he'd been poisoned by one of the Slytherins, rather than vying for the spotlight as Lysander had initially thought. It was difficult to tell what was really going on with Connor. Everyone had always seemed to have a lot to say about him, which had definitely cultivated an opinion over time, but outside of some questionable flirtation, he'd never exactly done Lysander wrong. That was more Eric's style. Perhaps it wasn't fair to act like he was worse than he was, and, mostly, he absolutely hated having to avoid Kas anytime Connor was around him, which was a lot. Then again, if Connor had an aversion to dragons, then maybe there was something wrong with him. Who didn't like dragons?

Moseying on over, Lysander gave the boy a light, slightly awkward smile. "So...are you allergic to dragons or something?" He asked conversationally, since Connor was steering as clear from the magical barriers as one could. Again, weird.​

Try as he might, Connor didn't think he would ever understand what people like Jenna and Lysander ssaw in dragons. They were horrible beasts, as far as he was concerned, just the worst of the worst. Giant and deadly, and something he would be quite happy to never see in his entire life. But here he was, at a sanctuary for them. With people who liked them, were foolish enough to want to spend their lives with these awful things. Connor didn't think there was even the slightest chance of this going well. But he was here, for better or worse. He made sure to keep far away as he made his observations, counting down the time until Professor Burleigh would let them return to Hogwarts. The sooner the better, as far as Connor was concerned. As far away as he was, Connor didn't think there was much chance he'd actually be interacting with any of his classmates, so it was a surprise when Lysander of all people came over. Connor had been certain the Gryffindor would be busy taking in every moment. He snorted slightly at Lysander's comment, giving him a flat look. "Yeah actually, I usually break out in a nasty rash when something incinerates me with its fire breath. I'm weird like that." He deadpanned, giving him a serious look.

Lysander sucked in air through his teeth. Yeesh. Connor definitely spent too much time around Kas. "Yeah, that's pretty weird. I don't think there's an ointment for that." He remarked lightly. He folded his arms and leaned against the wall, throwing a look at the nearby Ukrainian Ironbelly, marching about in its den behind the safety of a magical barrier. He squinted in thought. "You're not..." He hesitated. "You're not scared of them, are you?" He asked, almost bewildered by the thought. He could've laughed if it wasn't so absurd. Head Boy Connor Holland, afraid of big lizards? Everyone liked dragon. Sure, they were dangerous, yes. So was...anything, really. Swans. Doxies. Connor's brother. It didn't make them scary.​

Connor snorted softly at Lysander's comment, glad that at least the Gryffindor hadn't come over here for an argument. He tensed a little when the Gryffindor asked if he was afraid, fairly sure he was about to be laughed at. At least Connor had plenty of practice at that. "The giant lizard that could kill me twelve different ways without even noticing I exist? Nah, not scared at all." He said dryly, hoping to deflect any teasing with humour. "I'm totally comfortable here, practically feels like home."

Lysander chuckled lightly. "Connor, you are in the wrong class. I'm pretty sure you could say the same about, like, most of the stuff we've been covering lately." He shook his head with a laugh. It had him wondering what Connor was pursuing the subject for in the first place. Not Dragonology, clearly. "Come on, come get a closer look with me. I'm...mostly sure they won't incinerate you." He said, taking a few steps over to give the barrier a reassuring slap with his hand. One of the keepers shot him a glare, and he had to smoothly transition to running his fingers through his hair and looking away.​

Connor snorted lightly at Lysander's comment. "Yeah, I considered dropping the subject when it got scary." He admitted, thinking of all the horrible things he had learned about in the last few years. It had been hard to keep his lunch at times, and Connor was certain this class was one of the things he would be happiest to see the back of after graduation. He started moving closer when the Gryffindor did, his steps hesitant, staying firmly behind Lysander. Connor yelped and took a step back when Lysander slapped the barrier though, shaking his head firmly. "Don't piss them off!" He hissed, as though if he spoke too loud a dragon might hear and come after him.

Lysander couldn't help but grin at Connor's reaction. This was kind of endearing? "Relax, we're practically insects to them. It could kill us twelve different ways without noticing us, remember? It's barely looked our way." He said, casting a look over his shoulder at the dragon, seemingly distracted by the plumes of smoke it was emitting. He wouldn't have minded if it did notice them. If it could make eye contact with him, maybe he'd be able to figure out what went on inside a dragons head, though with the barrier in place, he wasn't sure he could if he tried. "Who knew our head boy was such a scaredy-cat?" He teased light-heartedly. "Do you think Burleigh would take us somewhere where we could totally die?" He asked, though he paused, pretending to give it legitimate thought. "I guess he is a new professor..."

Connor knew he must look ridiculous, but as far as he was concerned his fear was perfectly sensible. He winced again when Lysander talked about dragons killing them, taking another step backwards. "You're not making it better!" He hissed, looking around nervously as though the dragons were listening in. He knew they weren't, but logic had temporarily abandoned him in this situation. Connor rolled his eyes at Lysander's teasing, giving him a sharp look. "I'm not a scaredy cat for being afraid of a fire breathing monster the size of a house!" He pointed out, shoulders hunching. "He could take us somewhere dangerous. You can't be sure of anything. And accidents happen, even at safe places."

Lysander scoffed lightly and looked at Connor, then toward the dragon in the closure, before looking back at Connor once again. "It's at least the size of two houses." He corrected. There was a lot to take in here. He felt like he was learning a lot about Connor all at once. "Okay you're not...wrong, but then what's the alternative? After we graduate are you going to cast cushioning charms on everything you own and never leave the house in case an accident happens? That's like, kind of crazy. You have to loosen up, have fun. We could trip and die on the moving stairs tomorrow. It'd suck to not do anything adventurous before then." He said. If he died he'd probably just come back as a ghost so he could keep doing the things he wanted to do. And more. He could probably fly right into the middle of a volcano or something as a ghost. "Look, I promise if anything happens, I'll throw myself in front of the danger so you can run away. You know, since I'm very brave and very heroic." He continued, pretending to flex his muscles challengingly in front of the dragon. "I bet they'd build a statue in my honour. Lysander Summers, who died saving the head boy. Everyone loved him, he was very cool, and also handsome." He mused. It started as a joke, but now his mind had gotten stuck on imagining the giant parade the Ministry would throw in his honour.​

Connor could feel his eyes bulging at Lysander's rationalisations, staring at the Gryffindor in total disbelief. "I... what... you have to realise there's a middle ground between being wrapped in bubblewrap and taunting a fire breathing monster that would love to eat us, right?" He could hear the exasperation and disbelief in his own voice, and couldn't bring himself to care how unhinged he must look. He couldn't help the laugh that escaped him as Lysander continued, sharp and a little too loud from the nerves thrumming through him. "I'm pretty sure it'd stand as a firm warning to make sure nobody else goes anywhere a dragon! Because you would be dead! Being cool and handsome doesn't matter when you're dead!"

Lysander frowned at Connor with feigned confusion at the possibility of a middle-ground between the two ends of the spectrum, but it broke out into a smile as his classmate laughed. This was at least better than seeing someone standing on the sidelines and missing out for the entirety of the field trip. He shrugged a single shoulder. "Why can't it be both an honour and a warning?" He said. "I think you need to give dragons a chance. They're not dark creatures, they're not gonna attack you for no reason. They're just trying to live their lives and be happy, and that's like, what we should all do." He said with a nod, feeling his words were wiser than they actually were. "How about we walk around, you can stand at a safe distance and I can read out these little information plaques they have to you, since this kind of stuff is probably going to be in our NEWTs so it's pretty important to know, and you can, I dunno, keep talking about how cool and handsome you think I am." He grinned. Okay, yes, he'd been the one to refer to himself that way, but Connor had agreed, and that was enough.​

Last edited:
Connor couldn't help snorting slightly when Lysander pointed out that dragons weren't dark creatures. "You don't have to be a dark creature to roast someone alive." He pointed out, though the way Lysander was talking did remind him of the way people talked about spiders being more afraid of you than you were of them. It didn't mean he liked spiders either. He had to admit Lysander's offer of help was a good one though, and he laughed slightly at the teasing. "Well, if you're gonna help me with my NEWTs I suppose I can shower you with praise for a while." He grinned. "Not everyone gets such a cool and handsome tour guide." It felt good, to joke with Lysander. And he was hardly going to deny the claim. After their date and the few flirtations over the years, Connor was fairly sure he and Lysander weren't meant to be. That didn't mean he didn't have eyes, though, and a little silly flirting between friends didn't mean anything more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back