Having a Bad Day

Sophia Stark

OOC First Name
Kaela
Sophia walked swiftly out to the Lakefront looking extremely angry. With a huff she took her messenger bag off of her torso and dropped it on the ground beside a tress, flopping down on the ground beside it which resulted in some pain on her backside. Sophia sighed and took a book from her messenger bag and opened it, hoping reading would take her mind off of things.

An owl swooped down near Sophia and dropped an old book beside her before flying back up and back towards the castle again.

Kale walked down to the lake front with a annoyed look plastered on his face, that past week things haven't been going well for him and he was almost always in a crappy mood. As he started to reach the water he noticed Sophia sitting on the grass, she seemed to be reading a book; like always. Kale walked toward her and stood where she was, "Hey Sophia," he said quietly, "You mind if I join you?" Kale inquired with a hint of indecisiveness in his voice.

Sophia had successfully become engrossed in her book when she heard a thunk beside her. Looking over she was quite displeased to see the book she had just returned to Professor King sitting beside her.

With a sigh she returned to her book, but was soon interrupted once more, this time by the sound of Kale's voice. Sophia looked up at Kale, noticing he did not look particularly happy either. This was odd, as Kale always seemed to be one of the more cheerful Slytherins. "Not at all," Sophia replied in a tone that carried a hint of friendliness. She quickly moved the old book so that Kale could sit down beside her.

Kale was relieved that Sophia seemed to accept him and invited him to sit down; out of all of the other Slytherins she was the most intimidating to him. He quickly removed his bookbag and plopped it onto the ground next to a nearby tree, he sat where her second book was before she moved it. "How have you been?" he inquired while picking at the grass in front of him aimlessly, he hadn't seen her much since the new school year had started.

"All right I suppose," Sophia said as she closed her book and set it down on top of the other one. It suddenly dawned on her why it was so odd to see Kale like this: he was not with Estrella.

"So, where is your other half?" Sophia asked off-handedly. She had been avoiding Estrella and had not spoken to Kale in some time so she had no idea what had transpired between the two.

Kale couldn't help but bite his lower lip when Sophia asked a question about his 'other half'. He blinked a few times while looking at Sophia which caused a delayed answer, "I broke up with her the other day..." Kale said quietly as he averted his eyes in the opposite direction.

Sophia's golden eyes widened in surprise at Kale's answer. Broke up? But they were attached at the hip. "I am so sorry Kale," Sophia said in a soft, kind tone, placing a hand on his shoulder. She wanted to ask him what had happened, but was unsure as to whether or not Kale would appreciate that.

"I spent the summer with her. I could not wait to get back here. What happened, if you do not mind my asking?" Sophia decided to ask, but watched Kale carefully as she waited for his response. She really did not want to upset him. Kale was a good guy, and one Sophia could actually stand.

Kale wasn't used to Sophia's concerned demeanor, he nodded at her and was taken aback by her hand on his shoulder. "Was your summer that bad?" he inquired, not aware of anything that happened between her and Estrella during the three month span.

Kale straightened himself up and cracked his knuckles abesentmindly, "No, I don't mind you asking." he said and paused momentarily, he continued while picking at the grass and placing it in a small pile, "Honestly, I just don't want to be in anything serious right now. I wasn't really sure if I liked her that way anymore." Kale said and averted his big blue eyes back up at Sophia, "Does that make me a jerk?" he inquired, Kale wasn't sure how Sophia thought of him but she always seemed to be sincere.

Sophia removed her hand from Kale's shoulder and returned it to her side. "No, that does not make you a jerk. In fact, I have never seen you act like a jerk. How did you end up in Slytherin again?" Sophia smirked at Kale to let him know she was joking.

Kale laughed at Sophia's comment, she had obviously not seen his 'jerky' side. "Well, Slytherin is obviously the best house and since I'm awesome..it only makes sense that I'm in it." he said with mock cockiness while puffing out his chest. Quickly he reverted back to his normal attitude, "So, how are you and Ford doing anyway?" Kale inquired, he and Ford didn't really talk about that kind of stuff.

Sophia could not help but let out a laugh at Kale's display of manliness. She quickly regained her composure and considered Kale's question for a moment before responding.

"Oh, we are good I suppose." Sophia left it at that. She was not one to talk about that kind of thing either. "So, how are your classes going so far?"

Kale took in Sophia's words, she obviously wasn't very open about talking about her relationship; which was fine with him. He sat up and crossed his long legs in an 'indian style' fashion. "Classes are going okay, I guess." he shrugged, "It's the first week so everything is how it normally is, slow and boring." Kale said without much interest, "What electives are you taking, Sophia?" he inquired.

Sophia watched as Kale changed his position, looking at his long legs. He was actually taller than she was, which was strange for her. She was used to being the tallest, save for Bruin maybe. Sophia was not exactly sure who was taller between the two. "Everything, save for Divination. I am hoping Ancient Runes is more interesting this year than it was the last. What about you?"

"Wow, you've got a lot on your plate." Kale said with wide eyes, he couldn't believe how some people could take every elective or more than two; he just didn't have the time for that many extra classes. "I'm taking Care of Magical Creatures this semester. Next semester is Muggle Studies." Kale said, muggles fascinated him but he found it a bit embarassing when expressing the interest to his Slytherin friends. "I'm really hoping that Slytherin can get the house cup this year though...we can't let Gryffindor or Ravenclaw win again." Kale said, "This is just getting embarassing.." he laughed and shook his head, he was only half joking by his comment.

Sophia perked up a bit when she learned that Kale would be taking Muggle Studies. That was definitely one of her favorite classes, even if it was just her and Bruin. "Let me know if you need any help with Muggle Studies. That class was very intriguing.

"Nothing is as embarrassing as my first year though. Slytherin was dead last, by a lot. We have come a long way. Although I admit I do want to win. It would be really nice to beat Bruin for Top Point Earner. I do not know how he does it. I swear he is perfect at everything, save for dancing."

Kale was taken by surprise when Sophia showed that she too had a particular interest in Muggles, he was taken aback at Sophia's perking up about Muggle Studies. "Thanks" he replied with a small smile to Sophias offer, "I'm looking forward to that class the most. I wish it was this semester." Kale said bashfully.

"I don't see how Bruin does it either, or you. Didn't you earn the highest points for Slytherin last year?" he inquired with wide eyes and continued, "We haven't really got that many new additions into Slytherin...we're going to have to work really hard, but I think we can get the house cup. It would definitely be an achievement.." Kale felt like he was droning on so he stopped for a moment to take a breath, for the past week he hadn't spoke much so now was finally getting everything out.

"Have you heard anything about quidditch?" Kale inquired casually, while cracking his knuckles once more.

"Yes, I did," Sophia replied, surprised that Kale remembered that. "It helps that I was taking so many electives.

"As for Quidditch, I believe we are switching back to house teams. I really do not care, as long as I get to play. I miss it."

Kale nodded in agreeance with Sophia's statement, "Same here. I'm really tired of them changing teams back and fourth though. I hope this time things just stay how they are." he said, "Things just feel very unorganized everytime we deal with club teams.."

"Yes, quite disorganized. It is much easier when everyone is in the same house. I am quite tired of having meetings to decide on team names and colors. Are you sticking with Beater?" Sophia was glad to be having a normal conversation with Kale. It as nice to speak with someone who was not Estrella, Bruin, or Ford, and speak so casually. For some reason Sophia never felt like she was being judged by Kale, and thus felt somewhat comfortable around him.

Kale grinned slightly at Sophia, "Yes, I will be sticking with beater for a while. I think Slytherin could do well as a house team...even though I don't think we have enough interest in our house to play." he said gloomily and sprung back up. "How about you, will you be sticking with Keeper? You're real good." Kale complimented with a genuine smile.

"Thank you," Sophia said with an appreciative nod to Kale. "Yes, I will be sticking with Keeper unless someone else shows an intense interest and proficiency at it. It is my favorite position."

Kale nodded at Sophia, "If you couldn't play Keeper, what would your second position of interest be?" he inquired, Kale couldn't help being curious since quidditch was one of his favorite things to talk about.

Sophia looked at Kale for a moment, considering his question. "Well, definitely not Seeker. I suppose Chaser, then Beater if I could not do that. I am not really strong enough for Beater, but I could manage. What would you play if you could not be Beater?"

Kale listened to Sophia's comments about the alternate positions and agreed with her choices. Looking down at himself for a moment he too thought about the question when she asked him, "I would really like to try Chaser. I don't think I'd be a good Keeper...never tried it and I think I'm too tall for Seeker." Kale let out a small laugh, trying to imagine him chasing after a snitch. It just didn't fit him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back