OOC First Name
Liv
Blood Status
Pure Blood
Relationship Status
Divorced
Wand
Tulip Wood Wand with Unicorn Hair Core
The day had finally dawned, creeping up until the Great Hall was decorated with every house color and the ceiling had been enchanted to resemble a hopeful sunrise. Graduation Day. An event that had never taken place within these hallowed halls but would start a grand tradition with the very first class of students ever sorted. They were a fine and hardy bunch; intelligent, cunning, kind, mischievous. Their smiles, jokes, pranks, laughter, tears, sweat and blood would forever permeate the castle. They'd worked hard to get to this day and it was truly theirs; they'd earned it.

Cecily approached the podium and for the last time her green eyes looked out upon this first generation. In them she saw hope. Taking a deep breath, she began, "Hello, welcome graduating class of two thousand and twenty three, friends, family," she smiled upon them. "I didn't think it would be me making this speech to you today; 'twas always my belief that our former Headmistress would do so. I'm honored to speak to you today for the last time as students." Her eyes touched on certain faces. "I remember the day you were all sorted, small children with knobby knees and enough courage to choke a hippogryff," she laughed. "Your antics will always give us pause to just stop, smile, and remember way back when as we all learned together what makes a school special. It was you who helped forge Hogwarts New Zealand; through dedication, shared joy and sorrow and through lasting friendships." Her voice choked at the end, fingertips pressed against lips quivering with unshed tears. Composing herself quickly, she continued.

"As you all go forth to put your stamp upon the great wide wizarding world, know that all of us who had the privelage to know you will carry you in our hearts," she pressed a not quite steady hand to hers, "always and forever." Turning she gestured for the Head Girl, Ravenclaw's Estrella Drage, to take her turn at the podium. "Next to speak is your fellow graduate, Head Girl Estrella Drage." Cecily stopped Estrella for a split moment to warmly give her a hug and murmur in her ear before taking her own seat.

Estrella rose from her seat and inhaled sharply after Headmistress Rambolt ended her speech. The very occasion was enough to reduce her to tears. Fighting at the water that had welled up in her eyes, the Ravenclaw made her way to the stage with a folded piece of parchment in hand. She wasn’t accustomed to hugs from the school staff, but at this point in time it was well appreciated. With a nod, she broke from the Headmistress’s embrace and stepped up to the podium. There was no way she could’ve remembered a whole speech, not with NEWTs just days away, so the eighteen year old girl had written it down and hoped it would give the seven years she and her classmates had endured some justice.

Her eyes scanned the crowd and fell on the rest of the graduating class. Not a sea of pointy hats as would be expected. It was mind boggling that such a small number of students had made it to this point. Smoothing out the creases in the parchment, Estrella opened her mouth and tried not to look as refined as she could.

“We‘ve been here seven years,” she started off, her mouth instantly going dry, “But all of us have managed to make it here today.” The Head Girl’s gaze remained direct to the seventh years. This was their day, after all. “It’s strange that first year was so long ago. We were never that tiny, right?” She chuckled a bit nervously and hoped that she hadn’t offended anyone in the audience. “It may seem like just yesterday that we waited for the sorting hat to seal our fate, yet we’ve come a long way all the same. We’ve made it to this point, and I’m certain each and every one of us will make it even farther when we leave these halls we’ve called home for the last seven years. Don’t ever forget Hogwarts New Zealand. In bad times, and in good times, remember all that we’ve achieved. Remember the classes we sat through, the countless exams we’ve endured. The whole school we had to explore and make our own. Remember the tears, the failures, the triumphs. The laughter, the friendships. Remember that in just a few years, we hosted a Triwizard Tournament and even managed to start up some Quidditch games. Most importantly of all, remember yourselves. Hold fast to the memories if you don’t take anything else with you. We are Hogwarts New Zealand’s first, and we’re part of the reason that we aren’t its last. Go out, class of 2023, and remind the world that you helped a school to thrive for years to come.”

Estrella gave her classmates a smile and picked up the piece of parchment. She could only pray to Merlin that she hadn’t butchered the address to her classmates; her turn was over. Tears were already coursing down her face as she made her quick exit from the podium. She cried silently as she took her seat and waited for the next speaker. This was probably one of the few times in her life that she wasn’t ashamed for bawling her eyes out.

Bruin listened patiently, a smile on his face as first Headmistress Rambolt and then Estrella took the podium and spoke about their feelings on this important day. He was honoured to share the podium with them both day and to be given the opportunity to address his fellow graduates and their important guests. Strangely, after seven years of learning to do the seemingly impossible and studying for countless examinations, it was the simple task of writing the speech that had caused him the most difficulty. What could he possibly say that would do his feelings for this place and these people justice?

Bruin waited for the applause to die down, gave Estrella a brief hug and took the podium himself. Staring out at the assembly, a lump formed in Bruin's throat and he tried desperately to clear it, hoping that his nervous trembling wasn't visible to those before him. Bruin withdrew a rather tattered looking piece of parchment from his jacket pocket and flattened it out before him just as he found his voice.

"First of all. I would just like to let you know how honoured I am to speak today and to say a sincere thank you to all of the staff who have showed such remarkable patience and dedication in helping us get to this day." Bruin began tentatively, gradually gaining confidence and his usual smile surfacing on his face. "I also want to thank my fellow graduates for putting up with me for the past seven years, I know it probably wasn't that easy at times, but you have become like the brothers and sisters that I never had. We haven't always got along, but we have always pushed each other, supported each other, and deep down, cared about each other the way family should and that's how I will always think about you...as my family."

Bruin paused and pulled out his wand, quickly summoning a colourful book from where he had hidden it before the ceremony began. "As many of you know, I don't often struggle to find my own words, but despite my best efforts I didn't think I could do any better than reading from one of my favourite books by the famous muggle author, Dr. Seuss." A huge smile spread across Bruin's features as he began to read the picture book to the gathering before him.
Congratulations!
Today is our day.
We're off to Great Places!
We're off and away!

We have brains in our head.
We have feet in our shoes
We can steer ourselves
any direction we choose.
We're on your own. And we know what we know.
And WE are the ones who'll decide where to go.

We'll look up and down streets. Look 'em over with care.
About some we will say, "I don't choose to go there."
With our heads full of brains and our shoes full of feet,
we're too smart to go down any not-so-good street.

And we may not find any
we'll want to go down.
In that case, of course,
we'll head straight out of town.

And when things start to happen,
we won't worry, won't stew.
We'll just go right along.
We'll start happening too.

We won't lag behind, because we'll have the speed.
We'll pass the whole gang and we'll soon take the lead.
Wherever we fly, we'll be the best of the best.
Wherever we go, we will top all the rest.

Except when we don't
Because, sometimes, we won't.

I'm sorry to say so
but, sadly, I must
and Hang-ups
can happen to us.

We may get all hung up
in a prickle-ly perch.
And the gang will fly on.
We'll be left in a Lurch.

We'll come down from the Lurch
with an unpleasant bump.
And the chances are, then,
that we'll be in a Slump.

And when we're in a Slump,
we're not in for much fun.
Un-slumping ourselves
is not easily done.

We may come to a place where the streets are not marked.
Some windows are lighted. But mostly they're darked.
A place you could sprain both an elbow and chin!
Do we dare to stay out? Do we dare to go in?
How much can we lose? How much can we win?

And IF we go in, should you turn left or right...
or right-and-three-quarters? Or, maybe, not quite?
Or go around back and sneak in from behind?
Simple it's not, I'm afraid we will find,
for a mind-maker-upper to make up his mind.

We may get so confused
that we'll start in to race
down long wiggled roads at a break-necking pace
and grind on for miles across weirdish wild space,
headed, I fear, toward a most useless place.
The Waiting Place...

...for people just waiting.
Waiting for a train to go
or a bus to come, or a plane to go
or the mail to come, or the rain to go
or the phone to ring, or the snow to snow
or waiting around for a Yes or a No
or waiting for their hair to grow.
Everyone is just waiting.

Waiting for the fish to bite
or waiting for wind to fly a kite
or waiting around for Friday night
or waiting, perhaps, for their Uncle Jake
or a pot to boil, or a Better Break
or a string of pearls, or a pair of pants
or a wig with curls, or Another Chance.
Everyone is just waiting.

NO!
That's not for us!

Somehow we'll escape
all that waiting and staying.
We'll find the bright places
where Boom Bands are playing.

Oh, the places we'll go! There is fun to be done!
There are points to be scored. there are games to be won.
And the magical things you can do with that ball
will make you the winning-est winner of all.
Fame! We'll be famous as famous can be,
with the whole wide world watching us win on TV.

Except when we don't.
Because, sometimes, we won't.

I'm afraid that some times
we will play alone, I trust.
Games we can't win
'cause we'll play against us.

All Alone!
Whether we like it or not,
Alone will be something
we'll be quite a lot.

And when we're alone, there's a very good chance
we'll meet things that scare us right out of our pants.
There are some, down the road between hither and yon,
that can scare us so much we won't want to go on.

But on we will go
though the weather be foul
On we will go
though our enemies prowl
On we will go
though the Harkonnen's howl
Onward up many
a frightening creek,
though our arms may get sore
and our sneakers may leak.

On and on we will hike
and I know we'll hike far
and face up to our problems
whatever they are.

We'll get mixed up, of course,
as you already know.
We'll get mixed up
with many strange birds as we go.
We'll be sure when we step.
Step with care and great tact
and remember that Life's
a Great Balancing Act.
We'll never forget to be dexterous and deft.
And never mix up our right foot with our left.

And will we succeed?
Yes! We will, indeed!
(98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)

YES, WE'LL MOVE MOUNTAINS!

So...
be your name Styx or Stark or Weasley
or Dumbledez Drage, rhymin ain't easily,
We're off to Great Places!
Today is our day!
Our mountain is waiting.
So...let's get on our way!

Bruin closed the book carefully as he looked out at his fellow graduates, hoping that they could find the wisdom amongst the silly words. A strange feeling came over Bruin as if he had grown up overnight and suddenly realized that he was an adult about to shed the last tear of his childhood.

"Thanks... my time here has truly been magical!"

Gellert had been invited to speak to the first graduating class of Hogwarts New Zealand and he was simply unable to refuse. He had been highly involved in the school being created and setting up the Ministry of Magic to support such a school. This was the first proper magical school that there had been in New Zealand and he certainly wanted history to know that HE was Minister for Magic at the time and that it was through his efforts with the Ministry that it had thrived. Not only that, but this was the newest generation of witches and wizards to enter into the world and they would no doubt be influencing it for some time to come. They were now hopefully going to be his youngest supporters and a few more votes should he ever need them.

Gellert was sitting at the front of the hall behind the podium with a select few other guests as first the invitees flowed into the hall, then a small orchestra started to play as the graduating class entered the hall and took their seats in the front few rows. At this point Cecily had risen from where she'd sat and began to address the class. Gellert listened semi-attentively as each person made their address to the graduating class. He clapped politely after each was finished and always smiled encouragingly toward the speaker when given the chance, then it was his turn.

Gellert stood up, straightened out his robes and cap, then approached the podium. He looked out cheerfully over the crowd gathered for the occasion before he thanked Cecily for introducing him, pulled a roll of parchment from his robes, and laid it flat on the podium. "Good evening," Gellert began in a thick British accent, "It was my great honour to be asked to speak to you on this occasion by your Headmistress. It truly is a privilege to be here in this school and to be able to address you all today."

"As I look to you I remember my graduation from Hogwarts many years ago - and I remember all the fear and the excitement that I had. On one hand I was finally free of school and could do whatever I wanted to with my life. On the other hand I was leaving everything I'd ever known to go into a great abyss of uncertainty. I could do anything I wanted, but I didn't really have the safety net that Hogwarts afforded me. I couldn't necessarily climb to the fantastic heights I'd dreamed of in Hogwarts - but I certainly couldn't hit rock bottom, either. Today I want to tell you to hold on to that excitement, that wonder, but not to hold on to the fear." Gellert motioned vaguely toward the sunrise that the ceiling of the Great Hall had been enchanted to display, "Today is a new beginning for you all. You're being sent off from this place of learning fully equipped with everything you could possibly need to know to succeed. The magical world is yours to take hold of, to shape, to mold. The future is yours, and your children's - and that future is very bright. We've experienced dark times before, even here in New Zealand, and the darkest times for us here have been experienced over the past several year, but as many a muggle have said 'the night is always darkest just before the dawn'. This is our dawn, this graduation simply shows that against all odds, against everything that tried to stop this day from happening - it finally happened, and now a new generation is entering into the world well equipped to finish the fight that has been ongoing. Everything you do from here on out is a testament to the greatness of this school, and the end of the dark age that was brought about long ago and the remnants of which are still visible in our world. It's you who are going to end it all and bring in the bright sunset for New Zealand, and I know that it's you that will be showing up in history books for millennia to come." Gellert glanced one more time to the sunrise above him, "New Zealand and the Wizarding World is looking to you now to remake a world which so desperately needs to be remade. The world is looking to the sunrise in the confidence that soon nothing will be able to hide from the light, and that though shadows may exist darkness will be gone. It is you who will bring in that sunrise, and do it with the confidence of the knowledge and power that has been given to you in this place."

With that Gellert rolled the parchment back up and returned it to his robe pocket before taking his seat once more and allowing Cecily to continue with the events of the ceremony.

Cecily wiped the tears from her eyes with a linen, so as not to smudge her makeup. The speakers had spoken from their hearts and it made hers full to bursting with pride and love for the graduates. She once again approached the podium and addressed them.

"Graduates, as I call your name, come forward and collect your diplomas." One by one Cecily called their name and as they came up, she gave each of them a warm hug; she couldn't help it. She'd miss them all dearly and hoped they would all have bright futures ahead of them. It felt almost like they were her own, moving off to bigger and better things.

Once they had all collected their diplomas, she turned to look at them all, one last time as students. "Congratulations! May I now present to you all, Hogwarts New Zealand's graduating class of two thousand and twenty three!" She started the applause that moved through the great hall like wild fire.

If Estrella had been crying before, it was nothing compared to the tears that arrived after Bruin made his speech. She didn't recognize the particular book, but it tapped gently at her heart all the same. All of her previous attempts at being stoic disappeared as the Ravenclaw's name was called. Estrella wrapped her fingers around the diploma in a complete blubbering mess. Her ticket to the rest of the wizarding world; also a ticket away from Hogwarts New Zealand. Hugging Professor Rambolt more tightly and longer than protocol expected of her, she whispered a "Thank you" before moving away. She was completely weak at the knees as she stood, overwhelmed by the thunderous applause. It was a wonder she didn't fall over.

This was it, Jaken was graduating. The speech both Estrella and Bruin made really brought the Slytherin back into reality. He was graduating. Seven long years have come to an end. Once his name was called, he stood up and took his diplomas. He flashed a grin at Professor Rambolt and whispered to her before he went to the others, "I hope to see you around, Ms. Rambolt." Jaken nodded at his former-former Herbology professor. Jaken gazed over the crowd and was still amazed that he saw none other than Pro-er, Nicolas King. Jaken will always look up to the man as he would to the other professors and adult figures in his life. It is only the beginning.

As Cyndi walked into the Great Hall and took her seat with her fellow seventh years, she couldn't believe that graduation was actually here. While the guests filed in, she looked around for her roommates and finally spotted them as Headmistress Rambolt took the podium to introduce Estrella. The Gryffindor clapped enthusiastically as one of her best friends began her last act as Head Girl. As she listened to Estrella speak about what they had accomplished, Cyndi could feel the tears welling up in her eyes. She tried to blink them back, but a few managed to escape onto her cheeks. Wiping them away, Cyndi gave a watery smile to Estrella who had just finished her speech and was leaving the podium in tears.

When Bruin walked up to the podium, Cyndi's tears came faster. She had known him longer than anyone else at Hogwarts, and as he spoke about everyone being family, she nodded. It was certainly how she felt about the people sitting around her and her Gryffindor roommates and teammates. As Bruin pulled out a muggle book and began to read, Cyndi couldn't help but chuckle through her tears. That is so Bruin, Cyndi thought as she dabbed at her eyes again.

After the speech by the minister of magic, it was finally time to receive their diplomas. When Cyndi heard her name, she stood up slowly and walked toward the Headmistress to receive her diploma. As she accepted the rolled parchment, Cyndi whispered "thanks" and returned the hug given to her by her old Herbology professor. She felt so proud and couldn't help but have a smile on her face even as more tears flowed. The Gryffindor turned to walk back to her seat and spotted her former head of house, Professor King, sitting in the crowd. If anything, seeing him made her even happier. She had hoped that he would be able to be at the ceremony as he had been such an important part of her schooling. Back at her seat, Cyndi clapped enthusiastically as one-by-one her classmates received thier diplomas.

James had came back to school for this exact moment, to collect his diploma. He looked out in the crowd and saw Kiera and smiled slightly. James listened as the people spoke about the great things that have happened and the great things that were going to happen. James was going to head back to London and travel the world with the Chudley Cannons but it wasn't going to stop him from enjoying today as he waited for his name to be called. James hadn't been to most of the classes and he hadn't made a lot of friends unless of course you counted the girls he had met. James met the headmistress and took his diploma with a "thank you" as he turned around and took his seat, James didn't know what the future held for any of the students graduating today but he knew they would be ready for it.

Bruin waited for his name to be called and then made his way up to the headmistress to collect his diploma. The past few months had been a blur and he could barely believe that this day had arrived. Bruin had missed two Quidditch games and a significant amount of time with his friends in order to study for NEWT's and attend a series of grueling interviews and tests for a position that held great interest for him. It appeared that Bruin had done well enough in the interviews and he had just received word that he would be joining a select group of wizards that would be traveling the world in search of ancient magical artifacts. The possibilities for adventure and unusual challenges had proved too much for him to resist, although he knew that the draw of this place and home would always be strong.

Bruin gratefully accepted his diploma and pulled Headmistress Rambolt into a brief hug. She had been a spectacular professor and had taken on the difficult administrative post and handled that job with equal grace under pressure. He would always remember the other dedicated professors, but she would remain above all. As he turned, Bruin was surprised to see that Professor King had returned and offered him a playful wink. Bruin had always known that there was more to this man than teaching and knew that he ever wished to become an Auror that he is the man who he would call. Bruin's gaze fell over the rest of the crowd, smiling when he noticed that his guests had made it to the ceremony as he returned to his seat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back