OOC First Name
Nick
Blood Status
Pure Blood
Relationship Status
Married
Wand
Curly Oak/Wenge 16" Essence of Feng-huang Tail Feather
Have a question in mind? This page (like all others) is searchable by hitting ctrl+f in your browser (windows) or cmd+f in your browser (Mac).
That being said, here are the FAQ:

Out of Character FAQ
-->These FAQ regard general site functions.
  • Which staff member should I contact about my issue?
    Well, any member of the staff will be more than pleased to help you with any problems or concerns you may have. However with each group having different levels of availability and areas of expertise we request that the following be adhered to:
  • General query: Contact any staff member, or post in FAQ
  • Question about inventories, or galleons: Contact any member of staff
  • Concern about board functions and/or coding: Contact Nicolas King
  • Rule breaking, dispute with members: Use the "Report!" button, or contact any member of staff
  • Dispute with staff/moderation question: Contact an administrator
  • Applications: Use the appropriate form found here.

Note: You're always encouraged to use the report system for disputes.
    Also, if you have a problem with one admin you may contact another about it.

• How do I format my posts to look so awesome?
    This forum accepts BBCode in its posts and in member's signatures. BBCode is best explained here. It includes how to change font colour, how to insert images/pictures to posts and nearly anything you can think up. :)
    • Signature! How do I change mine?
      Just click right here and a page will open for you to edit your signature. You can use the above coding system to make it look all fancy too. :)
    • While I'm at it: How do I update my avatar? I mean, the site default is awesome, but I like to be unique.
      This page explains how to upload/link to your own avatar. Clicking here will bring you to the page in your preferences that allows you to. :)
  • What are sub-accounts?

Think of a sub-account as your secondary, tertiary, or whatever the word would be for your 70th account. :p On Xenforo, your main account is known as your parent account and all of the other accounts that you can link to your parent account are called sub-accounts. Linking sub-accounts to your parent account will enable you to easily receive notifications from all of your accounts to your main account and will allow you and us to better track whose accounts belong to who. It will also help us to better verify information, retrieve information, and reset passwords for you.
    • How do I set a sub-account?

Glad you asked. ^_^ Head to your profile on the top right of the page. You’ll want to hit your avatar to open that drop down. From there, hit sub account. You’ll see an option to either add existing or create new. When you hit add existing, you will type the name of the character (s), hit the ‘add existing button' to confirm. You’ll then be taken to a list of all the accounts that need confirming. You then must log in to the other accounts where you will receive an alert to go to the sub account area to confirm what you did on the parent account. Please make sure to double check before you click to confirm because you or another member might have made a mistake and entered an incorrect character.

Once you're all done, the ‘login as user button will have a red number indicating you have alerts on another account. Hitting that will give you the option to quickly switch between all of the accounts you have linked to your parent account. You also have the option of removing sub-accounts from your parent account.
  • Push Notifications? How can I get those?
    This new, and very exciting feature, will allow people to have their notifications sent straight to their device! This feature will not work on iOS or Safari, unfortunately, but on your desktops, phones, non-iOS (or macOS Safari) devices, you'll be able to have desktop, or push notifications! If you simply scroll to the bottom of the board, you'll see a hovering notice requesting to enable push notifications. If you want to tweak these notifications to your preferences (and believe us, you do!), you can do so here.
  • Where can I talk to other members?!
    Well, we have a Off-Topic forum which includes a general chat thread along with many individual discussions.
    We also have a shoutbox on the bottom of the board index page. And you can also PM (personal message) members by clicking on the envelope on the top right of your screen.
    • Conversation Sorting:

This is one of the most exciting new changes on the board. It allows a user to create labels for their conversations, so they can keep track of what each thread is in reference to, or who it's coming from. This can be done in a couple of ways. First, you can create a "rule," which automatically filters your messages and places them where you want them. If, for example, you could set a rule where any message containing the word "Exam" be labeled as a school-related conversation. You can "edit conversation" and retrospectively label conversations which have already begun.

You can create these labels in the label tab when you click into "show all conversations." and then upon beginning any conversation, you can label it accordingly. We're all very excited about this new feature and think it will make a lot of people's lives a lot easier!

Once you've created all your labels, they'll appear below your inbox, so you can then view only the messages within that label, like this;

2019-02-15%20%283%29.png
  • So this is a RP Site, right? How do you RP? What is RPing? Any tips?
    Yes, this is a Harry Potter RPG. This means that your account represents your character and you post their actions in most of the forums. This forum perhaps best explains role playing and includes several tutorials on it.
  • I've seen somebody break the site rules and don't know what to do?!
    Well, you have two choices if you want to help and not get in any trouble yourself. Your first choice is to personal message an administrator about it, including a link to where it happened, and then let it be dealt with that way. Your second choice (the preferred one) is to use the report system which is explained in this post.
  • Why can't I post in all of the forums?
    The forums are, for the most part, set up such that only areas where your character can be can you post in. However, we want everybody to be able to read each other's work as much as possible - so your Gryffindor account may see the Slytherin Common Room in order to read the roleplays, but won't be able to post in the forum to join the RPs. Additionally, some forums require that a specific account have access to post and some are simply invisible.
    In the way of Out of Character forums, your account can likely see most of the ones there are. The only hidden OOC forums are the one for Unsorted Students and others that we need to make the board run smoothly!

• How long is each year on this site in real life time? What exactly is the timeline here?
    Hogwarts itself works off of a two term (semester) system. Each term is about 8 weeks long in real life time (including an exam and study week). There is a Holiday break that is two weeks long in between terms. All total, one HNZ school year is the equivalent of 20 real life weeks.
  • So, I noticed the seasons were a little messed up. I mean, in January should be Winter but your board says it's Summer.
    Ah, you must live in the wonderful northern hemisphere. ;) Our seasons aren't mixed up, just backwards of what you're used to. As New Zealand is in the Southern Hemisphere and seasons are opposite there from the Northern Hemisphere. Seasons here follow the seasons in NZ. So 'Winter' instead of being December through February is actually in June through August. :)
  • I've waited long enough! When is sorting? I want to get into the RP!
    Good question. Sorting is currently closed! Until then we recommend you role play in the Unsorted Role Playing Section and/or create an adult character.
  • I want my character to work in the school or in the Ministry of Magic. How might I go about applying for that?
    If your character wants to become a shopkeeper, Hogwarts Staff, or Professor see this forum for open positions and apply as instructed.
    If your character wishes to work in the Ministry of Magic all the necessary information can be found in this forum.

Role Play FAQ:
--> These are FAQ regarding the role play Itself (and its functions)
  • Shops! How do they work?
    Shopping with your character is really a lot simpler than you might think. You simply visit the appropriate shop in the Wizarding World and start a topic like any other roleplay. You'll then see options for items to add to your character's basket. Just select the items you want and continue roleplaying with the shopkeeper or assistant. When you finish the roleplay, they will process the sale and galleons are automatically transferred out of your account to the shop's owner. The items are then automatically added to your character's inventory. (Found here) This is further outlined in this documentation.
    • Wait! I don't have any galleons! How do I get them or when will I?
      If your character is presently unsorted you will receive galleons as soon as you are sorted. Otherwise, you may place a request via this form for galleons to be added to your account.
    • Great! But now how do I earn money? I seem to be running low.
      Students receive an annual allowance of 200 galleons. However, if they want a little extra they can try to find work as a shop assistant.
      Other characters may not receive any regular funds. If your account is running low and you're not a student please use this form to place a request for galleons, explaining why your character should receive some galleons. We'll then use our judgment to sort things out.
    • Where can we RP and when?
      If you can post in a forum you can likely RP there. There are some forums (like the 'Forbidden Forest' or the 'Borely Mansion') which your character may get in trouble for being there (if they're caught) but there should be no out of character repercussions for you or your account. :)
    • That's awesome! But there are a bunch of useless forums. Like the corridors. What am I supposed to do there?
      The corridor forums in Hogwarts are used as 'freebie' RP forums. They're more open to creativity than other forums. Explore the castle in them. find an abandoned classroom or just RP hanging out with some friends!
    • Classes. How on earth do classes work?
      Classes are RP based like the rest of the site. They're posted for certain years and houses at certain times (according to what is posted in the house common room) and you can RP your character in that lesson! :D
      Class policy is explained in greater detail here.
    • So, my character is a student and I really want them to take Arithmancy. When can I sign them up for that?
      Electives are chosen by characters in their second year and they're taken in their third year forward.
    • Ohh. I see. I also want my character to be a prefect, then Head Girl. When are those positions chosen?
      Prefects are chosen in their fifth year, and Head Boy and Girl are chosen in their seventh. Sometimes exceptions can be made, but it's rare.
    • Are pets allowed in Hogwarts, at least? Like in the novels and the movies?
      Yes! Of course! It's just like buying an item. :) You buy your pet then you can RP having them around the school.

If you have a question that is not answered in the above, feel free to post a topic in the FAQ forum and somebody will try to get around to it as quickly as they can.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back