Closed Funny Food & Growing Up

Kara thought about reading a book in a tree. It seemed kind of dangerous, but surely she might get some tips on climbing from Elizabeth. She didn't want to look silly in front of Daniel. "That would be very relaxing. I am looking forward to reading buried in the library in a cozy corner or a rock by the lakeside. I think those are going to be my favorite go-to spots." Kara declared. "If you ever can't find me, check there!" She laughed.

Daniel laughed."The lake'd be a great spot. I think there'd be a great view when you look up from your book." He was looking forward to going to school so much, it would be an amazing experience."I still can't believe it's actually real. It seems crazy."

Kara could feel the chills coming from the lake, well in her mind anyway. She felt inspired by the thought and decided to write a story about what she thinks the lake will be like later. Of course she had never been to the castle, but between her parents stories and the books she read she had a vivid picture in mind. “I wonder what kind of clubs there will be.”

Daniel grinned."Any reading clubs, and I'm sold!" He'd never thought about joining a club, but now that he thought about, it could be fun. It sounded like a great way to meet people."Would you join a club? If there was one you liked?"

Kara thought about a reading or book club, that would be fun. A good book discussion was always nice. “A book club would be nice.” She thought for a moment about if she would join a club. “I don’t know if I would join many clubs. If they have a newspaper club or something like that, I think would enjoy it. I always love re@ding the newspaper and writing stories about things. Observing things.”

Daniel nodded."I think you'd be good in a newspaper club. It seems like your thing." He could easily see Kara writing for a school newspaper."I don't think I'd be good at it, but I would definitely read anything you wrote!"

Kara smiled and looked at the ground. “Thank you. It’s nice to have a supportive friend.” She hoped they would still be close friends at Hogwarts. Kara decided to walk back towards the table where her parents were finished cleaning up. “There is always quidditch. I think I’d like to watch it and read about it, more than play it. Brooms scare me.”

Daniel raised his eyebrows."Brooms?" He was still a little confused about wizarding culture, but a game on brooms sounded crazy."How does that work?" he asked Kara, glad that he was learning this before he went to school.

Kara shrugged a little bit. "I don't know all the rules. It can be entertaining to watch. Players ride around on brooms and try to get a quaffle through the hoop to score points. The game ends when the snitch is caught, which is a little magical ball that flys around." She realized it all probably sounded bizarre. "We can watch a quidditch game together at Hogwarts. A house game, they will have matches a lot."

Daniel was amazed."That sounds so cool!" He wondered if it was difficult to play."House games as in the students play? What happens if they get injured? Surely it happens if they're in the air the whole game."

Kara smiled wide and nodded. “They team up against each other and play. Though, not many first years ever get accepted on the team.” She wondered if he was thinking about joining. “Yeah, it’s not the safest thing, but there is magical cures for most things. Like to regrow your bones if they get broken.”

Daniel was amazed."That sounds super cool. Wouldn't regrowing your bones hurt?" He thought about how cool it would be to join. That would be so cool! He grinned."I guess you'd have to know how to fly first." He laughed.

Kara had never broken a bone before. “I would imagine it hurts. I’ve never broken a bone. We’ll have to ask my cousin, I think Elizabeth had broken a few.” She doubted Elizabeth would tell the truth about the pain, she always seemed to try to play it off. “We will get to take flying lessons. I don’t think I’ll be too good at that.”

Daniel was looking forward to that."It sounds scary, but like a good experience. I think the first few times would be the worst, then you'd feel more comfortable." He knew that Kara wasn't too keen on adventuring or exploring, and flying was probably similar to adventuring.

“Do you think you’ll like flying?” Kara glanced at her parents that seemed content in conversation with her little brother. Sammy seemed to be in a better mood, that will make the ride home more comfortable. “You are right. I’ll probably get the hang of it quick enough.”

Daniel shrugged."Maybe. It depends on how hard it is to pick up." He liked the idea of flying, but wasn't sure how long it would take to learn."And I think we'd be able to practice. Surely the professor would help if the students needed it."

Kara nodded. That sounded right. "There is going to be so much to do and so much to learn." She tucked her knees to her chest and wrapped her arms around her legs. They would probably have to leave the park soon before it got too late. "Do you have a way home today?"

Daniel shrugged."I'm meeting my family somewhere. Dad doesn't want the girls to find out about magic. At least, not yet." He didn't really like talking about the topic, since he felt that his Dad was punishing him for wanting to learn magic."But, I should probably head off anyway. Do you guys need help packing up?" He was maybe stalling a little, but he felt like it would be polite to offer anyway.

Kara looked at Daniel with a smile, but she was worried about him. He often shied away from talking about his family and the little she knew, magic was kind of taboo. "We can get you home if you want? I'm sure my parents would love help carrying things to the car. I know I would appreciate it." They often took their van when going on family outings, it was easiest to keep the family all together. Even if it was the muggle way.

Daniel grinned."I can help with that." He didn't want to be too much of a pain for Kara's family, but getting a lift sounded great."I would love a lift, if it's not too much trouble for you guys. My family should be back at the hotel, but I'd be happy if you dropped me off on your way." He knew that if Kara dropped him off on their way, it'd be easier for both of them.

Kara nodded and went over to tell her mom that they would need to take Daniel home. She wasn't upset by it at all, she seemed happy that Kara had a good birthday and with a friend. "Mom said that's fine." Kara was happy they would get to spend a few more minutes together before he got dropped off. "She likes you anyhow." She said with a smile.

Daniel grinned."Great, thanks!" He was pleased that Kara's Mum liked him. He felt that they were going to be friends through school, and maybe even after, so it was good that he wasn't disliked."So, what can I carry to your car?" He was pleased to spend some more time with Kara before going home, and helping out seemed like fun anyway.

Kara wondered to the table and picked up a few of the gifts. "Just grab whatever you can carry and I think we can all make it in one trip." She looked at her little brother Sammy who was playing with some sticks. "That is if Sammy decides he wants to help us." He scowled at her and stood up, grabbing a tray of food and marching to the car. "He is a delight." Kara laughed, starting to head towards the car.

Daniel followed Kara and picked some things up. He laughed with her about her brother."My sisters are the same." He followed Kara to the car."But, at least I'm not bored or alone at home." He did like having sisters, because he had someone to hang out with. He wondered what they'd do once he was at school. Probably spend a lot of time at their schools, he thought.

Kara smiled and nodded. It was nice always having somebody close to her age at home. Even if he was a brat sometimes. She opened the back hatch to the van and placed the presents inside along with the other stuff. Her father was working on rearranging things in the back. Kara brushed a piece of hair behind her ear and opened the side car door. "We can sit in the very back." She said as she went through the center of the two seats and into the third-row seating on the van. "It's cooler back here." Kara laughed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back