OOC First Name
Camilla
Blood Status
Muggleborn
Relationship Status
Single (Not Looking)
Wand
Curly 13" Rigid Pine Wand, Meteorite Dust Core
Aine had never celebrated Halloween before. She'd avoided the feast in her first year, and it wasn't like they really did anything back home for it. It wasn't a huge thing in Australia. There was usually cheap chocolate at the supermarket the next day, though, that was what she associated with Halloween. But it seemed to be a big thing in the magical world, which kind of made sense, she supposed.

Aine didn't particularly like scary things - she'd always avoided horror movies - so she would've been perfectly fine not going. But Valerius had been insistent that they went, and it wasn't as though she had anything better to be doing. Deep down she knew she'd probably feel left out if she didn't go, so she threw on an incredibly dated outfit and waited at the entrance to the feast. She could feel her anxiety building, eyes darting around as she played with her hair, not really wanting to go in to the creepy Great Hall all alone.

Valerius was never one to pass on school events. He felt it detrimental to his image to be involved. Getting his costume together, and getting an older student to help him with his now longer hair, he walked down to the hall. "Don't look so nervous," he scolded Aine gently. "You know I won't let anything happen to you."

Aine shifted on the spot, hoping to sink in to the walls somehow and not have to worry about the mortifying idea of being seen by other people. It didn't help that now she was a witch she was obligated to stay out of sight at home as much as possible, lest she'd invite awkward questioning. She felt ridiculous dressed up, and knew the hairspray would be a nightmare to remove later. "I'm not nervous," she retorted, nervously. "It's just my face." She looked Valerius over, before sighing. "Do you feel as ridiculous as I do?"

Valerius studied her. She was a terrible liar. "Absolutely. But then, that's the point, isn't it?" He laughed lightly and tried to lay his arm over her shoulders. "Just stay close to me. Are you ready to go in?"

"No," Aine replied, stiffening a little under his touch. Her family wasn't overly affectionate, so neither was she. She dropped her own hands to her side, and sighed. "But let's go, anyway. There's not gonna be any...gore and gross stuff in the hall, is there?" She'd seen enough gore from dead sheep and run-over kangaroos, she didn't need more.

Valerius shook his head, keeping his arm around her. "They tend to go for spooky over macabre, so probably like spiders and ghosts and things," he told her, trying to lead her into the hall. "They usually have good snacks, though."

Aine pulled a face as she started walking in to the Great Hall. "Fantastic. I hate spiders." It didn't help that there were so many huntsmans around where she lived. Harmless, but big and freaky looking. She shuddered involuntarily. "I do like snacks though." She dimly realized Valerius still had his arm around her. "You can put your arm down, you know. People might stare. Or make weird comments."

Valerius shifted his arm off her, sticking his hands in his pockets. "Most people won't care. But if it makes you uncomfortable I shan't." He agreed easily. The decorations were actually rather nicely done, he thought. "This fog is interesting," he commented. "Snacks are this way." He tried to lead her to the food.

Aine raised her eyebrows, giving Valerius a stunned look. It was a bit strange seeing him with longer hair, but it didn't look bad on him. He didn't look as ridiculous as he could have, at least. "Do you mean to tell me that people aren't constantly staring at me and judging me? I refuse to believe that." She knew it was kind of ridiculous, but she couldn't just stop worrying about what people thought of her and expecting the worst instantly. She looked down at the floor, impressed by the fog effects, and followed the directions to the food, grabbing a drink and a cupcake. "Okay, this does all look pretty cool, I gotta admit."

Valerius chuckled. "Aine, look around. For the most part, we're just extras in other people's lives. They're all worried about their own things to be worried over us. " He tried to soothe her. "They do like to go all out," he agreed, picking up a cupcake of his own.

Aine was a little embarrassed over getting so worked up. "I know that. Some part of my brain doesn't, though." She could reason with herself all she liked, it didn't stop her from expecting the worst and being incredibly harsh on herself. "I just imagine they look to me for a sense of...uh, what's the word? Sh...schadenfreude. Y'know, like, wow, I'm glad I'm not her, she sucks at everything." She shook her head, focusing instead on the cupcake, biting in to it and tasting the jam that oozed out in to her mouth. "Oooh, they made it like blood. Gross. Yet strangely delicious."

Valerius rolled his eyes and stepped a little closer. "Well, if they do, they can fight me. I think you're brilliant," He told her, feeling protective. He chuckled as she bit into her cupcake, copying her and biting into his own. "It is good. I wonder how they made it." He mused. He had been a bit more careful when biting into his so it wasn't quite as messy.

Aine reddened at the compliment, finding it strange. She assumed he was just being polite, though, and decided not to think too much more on it. Surely he'd tire of her company sooner or later. "I would have said it's like a lava cake, so you make a type of mix that goes in the middle while you bake it, but I guess its probably just some magic thing." It was nice that he didn't seem to be too off put by her rambling for now, though. "I watched a lot of daytime cooking shows," she added. She awkwardly moved a hand to wipe the icing and jam off her lips, and then cleared her throat. "Did you celebrate Halloween much before coming here?"

Valerius nodded, finding her ranting interesting. "That's definitely a thought. I wonder how magic bakers do things." He mused, thinking a magical bakery would be a wonderful thing. "That would be an interesting thing. I wish there were magic shows," He finished off his treat before grabbing them both a drink. "Father throws a large company Halloween party every year," he told her, sipping his drink.

Aine shrugged. "You're not missing a whole lot, honestly. There's so much boring stuff on TV. I just have it on at home to fill the air." There were a few movies she liked, but she would usually get restless and need to read or play a game or something. She wasn't really allowed to go anywhere most of the time. "Although muggles have, like, escape artists and sawing people in half, though that's probably all an actual magic thing." She quietly wondered if she'd be able to do it all one day and put on a show, imagining herself doing the water tank escape with mild amusement. "I'd ask if the parties were good, but I can't imagine they'd be that exciting for you as a kid, huh."

Valerius listened to Aine ramble, sipping on his drink. "Maybe you can come back with me over the holiday. I'm sure we could find something to do," he told her, immediately thinking of taking her to some real magic shows so they could look over her theory.

Aine almost spat out her drink when Valerius suggested she could visit him over the holidays, choking back her drink and awkwardly trying to cover it up. Her face reddened again, coughing back the drink and covering her mouth. "Ah, sorry. Um. Okay, I guess? I don't really have a way to get around easily, but if my parents are going to Melbourne I can get to Obsidian Harbour...unless I ask Vi, I assume she can apparate..." she trailed off, embarrassed.

Valerius bit back the laugh as Aine spluttered on her drink. "Father and I could pick you up," He told her. "Or you could just come home with me to start with." He smiled at her. "That is, if you don't die choking on your drink first. You alright?" He asked.

Aine was grateful for the longer hair, it was easier to hide her face. She was still getting used to having a friend she didn't have to try so hard around but it didn't mean she wasn't easily embarrassed and tremendously self conscious. "Yeah, you don't wanna see my hometown. It's all muggle and really backwards." She cleared her throat, taking a few deep breaths. "I'm sure your father will probably not think much of me," she added, shrugging. She'd never really been invited over to anyone's house unless it was just out of absolute politeness so she felt incredibly unsure of how to react.

Valerius chuckled. "Of course I want to see your hometown, Aine, but I asked first." He replied easily. He reached out to try and brush her hair back. "Father would wait to know you before thinking anything. He knows better than most not to judge on appearances alone." He tried to reassure her.

Aine shook her head. "No, I mean I wouldn't want you and your father to have to go there. It sucks." She flinched involuntarily as he reached out to touch her hair, quickly pushing it back herself, twiddling a strand between her index finger and her thumb. "Would he judge on the whole muggleborn thing?" She couldn't help but think about her argument with Cameron. Valerius wasn't bothered by it, but she could never really be sure.

Valerius drew his hand back, quirking his brow again at her words. "Of course not," he replied softly. "My father is muggleborn." He told her. "And maybe it does suck. But it's where you are, so I'd like to see it." He smiled at her. "We're partners now, remember? I want to know you better." He teased her gently.

Aine was surprised, faltering a little. She was getting the distinct impression being muggleborn was something of a disadvantage, but from what she had gathered about Valerius' father, he seemed to be quite successful. "Oh," she simply said, not quite sure what else she could say to that other than a mild sound of understanding. To any of that, really. "I think that's a decision that you'll regret, really. Both the getting to know me better and seeing my hometown. It's the sheep capital of Australia - and that's as boring as it sounds."

Valerius gave Aine a stern look, ducking his head a bit to try and catch her eye better. "Aine, stop telling me what I think. Wither you like it or not, you're my friend. You're stuck with me. I know you don't see yourself in the best light, but I do." He offered out his hand. "Will you stop doubting me and just let me be your friend? Please?"

Aine shook her head, looking a little uncomfortable. She almost wanted to stuff her face with more food to avoid answering the question, but she supposed she couldn't really run away. She sighed, feeling rather small. "I'm not doubting you. I'm doubting me," she explained, thinking it sounded rather like a corny breakup line and shaking her head. "No, that's not it. I'm not used to anyone actually wanting to be my friend," she admitted. "It used to just be that parents would push their kids to talk to me because everyone was a social climber and wanted to be in with the right people. But they'd get tired of me pretty quickly. Either I talked too much, like I am right now, or not enough." She gripped her arm, examining the food table with sudden interest. "But I do want to be your friend."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back