Blood Status
Half Blood
Relationship Status
Divorced
Sexual Orientation
Straight
Wand
Rosewood Wand 14 1/4" Essence Of Hair From The Mane Of A Unicorn
So, um, what the title says. What are some of your favourite quotations? Inspirational, hilarious...whatever you like, really.

Here are some of mine:

"I don't want to make any huge generalisations about women, I'm not here to do that, it's- it's vulgar. But all I'll say is that they have no feelings. Because it's actually men, you'll find, who are the far more romantic. Men are the people you will hear say, "I've found somebody. She's amazing. If I don't get to be with this person, I'm f***ed. I can't carry on, no I mean it, she's totally transformed my life. I have a job, I have a flat, it means nothing. I can't stand it, I have to be with her. Because if I don't, I going to end up in some bedsit, I'll be alcoholic, I'll have itchy trousers. I can't- I can't walk the streets any more." That, is how women feel about shoes." - Dylan Moran

"The limits of my language are the limits of my world" - Ludwig Wittgenstien

"'When I use a word...it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less'." - Lewis Carroll (Humpty Dumpty - Through The Looking Glass)

"Perhaps a lunatic was simply a minority of one." - George Orwell (1984)

"Do you think I am an automaton? — a machine without feelings? and can bear to have my morsel of bread snatched from my lips, and my drop of living water dashed from my cup? Do you think, because I am poor, obscure, plain, and little, I am soulless and heartless? You think wrong! — I have as much soul as you — and full as much heart! And if God had gifted me with some beauty and much wealth, I should have made it as hard for you to leave me, as it is now for me to leave you. I am not talking to you now through the medium of custom, conventionalities, nor even of mortal flesh: it is my spirit that addresses your spirit; just as if both had passed through the grave, and we stood at God's feet, equal — as we are!" - Charlotte Bronte (Jane Eyre)

"If all the world hated you, and believed you wicked, while your own conscience approved you, and absolved you from guilt, you would not be without friends." - Charlotte Bronte (Jane Eyre)

[The text of Bernard and Manny's 'classic' children's story]
Manny: There's the elephant. He's happy with his balloon. Oh no! It's gone! Where is it? It's not behind the rhino. [Both shake heads] Look in the alligator's mouth.
Manny and Bernard: [In unison] It's not there either!
Manny: [Crescendo] Ohhhhhhh..The monkey's got it up the tree! He gives it back. They all drink lemonade. The end!
- Bill Bailey and Dylan Moran (Black Books - series 3 episode 2)

Martha: Magic and stuff, that's a surprise. It's all a bit Harry Potter.
The Doctor: Wait till you read book seven- oh, I cried!
- Freema Agyaman and David Tennant (Doctor Who - series 3 episode 2)

Can't think of any more at the moment. :p

Hmm here are a few of mine:

"The points dont matter. Yes the points are like Velma. They just dont matter.-Drew Carey

"Chuck Norris doesnt wear a watch. He decides what the time is.

"Here we have the mountain, the lake, the HEP station, and the fiery pit with the balrog."- Dave Braunston, best physics teacher ever ;)

Ooh, i got lots. 50 odd+ but here's like the best ones i can remember now.

Suicide is... the sincerest form of criticism life gets. - Wilfred Sheed

Suicide is our way of saying to God, "You can't fire me, I quit!" - Bill Maher

It is one of the beautiful compensations of this life that no one can
sincerely try to help another without helping himself. - Dudley, Charles

When you are right no one remembers; when you are wrong no one forgets.- Proverb, Irish (too true :p )

"If we don't end war, war will end us." - Herbert George Wells

"Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you." - The Beatitudes (Matthew 5:11)

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon

"Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails." 1 Corinthians 1:cry: 4-8

"And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love." 1 Corinthians 1:cry:13

"I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me." Galatians 4:20

"I can do everything through Him who gives me strength." Phillipeans 4:13

"I meant what I said and I said what I meant. An elephant's faithful 100%!" Dr. Suess

I have to say, although I'm not particularly religious, I do love those verses from 1 Corinthians. Always have. ^_^

T.S. Eliot's "The Love Song Of J. Alfred Prufrock" has always been a favourite of mine: "I grow old...I grow old...I shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled." The whole poem is amazing.

"I cannot express it; but surely you and everybody have a notion that there is, or should be an existence of yours beyond you. What were the use of creation if I were entirely contained here? My great miseries in this world have been Heathcliff's miseries, and I watched and felt each from the beginning; my great thought in living is himself. If all else perished, and he remained, I should still continue to be; and if all else remained, and he were annihilated, the Universe would turn to a mighty stranger: I should not seem a part of it. My love for Linton is like the foliage in the woods. Time will change it, I'm well aware, as winter changes the trees — my love for Heathcliff resembles the eternal rocks beneath — a source of little visible delight, but necessary. Nelly, I am Heathcliff — he's always, always in my mind — not as a pleasure, any more than I am always a pleasure to myself — but as my own being — so, don't talk of our separation again — it is impracticable."
- Emily Bronte (Wuthering Heights) ^_^
utterly amazing book. :o

"When I use a word,' Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, 'it means just what I choose it to mean — neither more nor less."
"The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
"The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master— that's all."
- Lewis Carroll (Through The Looking-Glass)
Also an utterly amazing book.

"Age appears to be best in four things; old wood best to burn, old wine to drink, old friends to trust, and old authors to read." - Francis Bacon

"There is a difference between happiness and wisdom: he that thinks himself the happiest man is really so; but he that thinks himself the wisest is generally the greatest fool." - Francis Bacon

"In the midst of movement and chaos, keep stillness inside of you." - Deepak Chopra

"It's not what happens to you, but how you react to it that matters. " - Epitectus

"When you are offended at any man's fault, turn to yourself and study your own failings. Then you will forget your anger." - Epitectus

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

"And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once. And we should call every truth false which was not accompanied by at least one laugh." - Nietzsche

"There are no facts, only interpretations." - Nietzsche

"Whoever battles with monsters had better see that it does not turn him into a monster. And if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you." - Nietzsche

"You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist." - Nietzsche

....And finally :r: :

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” - Oscar Wilde :p

I really like this one by Stephen Fry

"I could have been American; after all I was nearly born there. So I wanted to find out what it is that makes the United States of America so unique, so diverse, so very American..."

and another one

"Stephen, you created an ice cream flavour. And it was good. Now you may rest"-Stephen Fry ^_^

"Don't try to be Jackie, there is only one Jackie, study CG instead." - Jackie Chan

"I dream my painting, and then I paint my dream." - Very Famous Artist (Guess!)

"Speed is essential in warfare, all things else refuted as second place." - Sun Tzu (Writer of the Art of War)

"I'd rather betray the world than have the world turn on me!" - Cao Cao (Three Kingdoms Era, Warlord)

"Those who scream emotion have the most of it, those who scream bravery have the least of it." - Ikadzuki Kazuya

"Just because a man is born in a stable doesn't make him a horse." - The 1st Duke of Wellington

"The only thing I am afraid of is fear." - The 1st Duke of Wellington

"... What do I do next, since now I am the unrivaled swordsman under Heaven?" - Miyamoto Musashi

Grandpa: Bad day my a$$ i was in the military! one time i woke up during the war and i onlt had one hand!
Des: Grandpa you have both hands that dosnt make any sence!

- DesandNate

(( lol me and my friend quote this video all the time during drama :shifty: ))

'I know you believe you understand what I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.'

'A nickel ain't worth a dime anymore.'

'Always go to other people's funerals, otherwise they won't come to yours.'

'If you don't know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else.'

'It was impossible to get a conversation going, everybody was talking too much.'

'It's like deja-vu, all over again.'

'Nobody goes there anymore. It's too crowded.' - Yogi Berra

'When we think a thing, the thing we think is not the thing we think we think, but only the thing we think we think we think.'

In the beginning the universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.
-Douglas Adams

ok i know it is long but i know it by heart
IF
If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you
But make allowance for their doubting too,
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don't deal in lies,
Or being hated, don't give way to hating,
And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise:

If you can dream - and not make dreams your master,
If you can think - and not make thoughts your aim;
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same;
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,
And stoop and build 'em up with worn-out tools:

If you can make one heap of all your winnings
And risk it all on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
And lose, and start again at your beginnings
And never breathe a word about your loss;
If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
To serve your turn long after they are gone,
And so hold on when there is nothing in you
Except the Will which says to them: "Hold on!"

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with kings - nor lose the common touch,
If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you;
If all men count with you, but none too much,
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds' worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!

Elvera, I love the Scottish version of that poem. Not really a quote - but it's in a irn bru ad. [ :p ]

If you can bounce in six inch heels all night and still walk home in your bare feet,

If you can keep two passions burning bright and see if there's still some romance and defeat,

If you can hit a foreign beach without a tan or brave the howling sleet in just a shirt,

If you know you're easily a better man when side by side with suits in just a skirt,

If you can party in the summer rain with kamakaze midgies in the mud,

Or grit your teeth and put up with the pain of seeing in the new year in the scud,

If you can wait and wait for 1p change then proudly give the lot to charity and know for certain it's not strange to call yer lunch dinner and yer dinner tea,

If you can handle folk to call you Jock then you'll have really earned your irn bru,

You'll thank your mum for keeping you in stock and what is more
You'll feel phenomenal to.

Anyway, I am completely in love with (almost) all the quotes on this page. Waaaay too many to post :(
Love these :wub:

Ok can't say all of them, and couldn't say where they come from, either :p I probs have loads more that I really can't think of right now lol :L
Lily Potter said:
"Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails." 1 Corinthians 1:cry: 4-8

"And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love." 1 Corinthians 1:cry:13

"I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me." Galatians 4:20

"I can do everything through Him who gives me strength." Phillipeans 4:13

A lot, I know, but all of these :)

Annnnnddd...

"A woman's heart should be so lost in God that a man has to seek Him in order to find her" - anon

"Pain is weakness leaving the body."

"When life hands you lemons, make lemonade."

"Everything a Christian does is either one of two things: Evangelism or Worship. With a non-Christian - evangelism. With a Christian worship."

"There is no such thing as a good Christian - you're either a Christian or you're not."

"It isn't about finding yourself, it's about creating yourself."

and there are tons more :p I just can't think right now :r:

I have to honestly say that this is one of my favorite quotes!

"Wit Beyond Measure is Man's Greatest Treasure"- JK Rowling (technically)

"It is the challenges we face that make us who we are" -Anon.

"One day you'll look back and wonder how you got here" -Anon.

Lemina Troque said:
Elvera, I love the Scottish version of that poem. Not really a quote - but it's in a irn bru ad. [ :p ]

If you can bounce in six inch heels all night and still walk home in your bare feet,

If you can keep two passions burning bright and see if there's still some romance and defeat,

If you can hit a foreign beach without a tan or brave the howling sleet in just a shirt,

If you know you're easily a better man when side by side with suits in just a skirt,

If you can party in the summer rain with kamakaze midgies in the mud,

Or grit your teeth and put up with the pain of seeing in the new year in the scud,

If you can wait and wait for 1p change then proudly give the lot to charity and know for certain it's not strange to call yer lunch dinner and yer dinner tea,

If you can handle folk to call you Jock then you'll have really earned your irn bru,

You'll thank your mum for keeping you in stock and what is more
You'll feel phenomenal to.

Anyway, I am completely in love with (almost) all the quotes on this page. Waaaay too many to post :(
Love these :wub:
very funny Lemmy. i love it

Here are some of my favourite quotes..

"You are down there alone," the stars seemed to say to him. "And we are up here, in our constellations, together."
"I have been loved," Edward told the stars.
"So?" said the stars. "What difference does that make when you are all alone now?"
~ The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane, by Kate Dicamillo

( awesome book, highly recommend it if you like sad ones :p it's a smallish kids book, so you can probably read it in an hour or so ;) I just found again it in my school library today and read it for like.. I dunno, but I've read it a couple of times )

The heart breaks and breaks
and lives by breaking.
It is necessary to go
through dark and deeper dark
and not to turn.
~ The Testing-Tree, by Stanley Kunitz

( this passage is the prologue to the book above, that's where a first read it ^_^ )

Here are a few of mine. Most said by Barack Obama :wub:

"Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we've been waiting for.
We are the change that we seek." 5th February 2008

"The God given promise that all are equal, all are free and all deserve a chance to pursue their fill measure of Happiness" 20th January 2009

"So let us mark this day with remembrance of who we are and how far we have travelled." 20th January 2009

"America must play its role in ushering a new era of peace" 20th January 2009

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness" Declaration of Independence.

Don't beg. Don't beg for it. Go for it, and it will be yours - Adroc Thurston, Eureka Seven.

Don't believe in yourself! Believe in me, who believes in you! - Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt - Dawn of War

To each of us falls a task, and all the Emperor requires of us Guardsmen is that we stand the line, and we die fighting. It is what we do best: We die standing. - General Sturn, Dawn of War - Winter Assault

Good and evil are like the two sides of a coin, which is head and which is tails? You decide.

I have a gazillion favourite quotes so deciding which ones to put here was pretty hard so have decided to post a few weekly or even daily if I remember too.

"Regard your soldiers as your children, and they will follow you into the deepest valleys.
Look on them as your own beloved sons, and they will stand by you even unto death!"
- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

Flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
-Douglas Adams

He was a dreamer, a thinker, a speculative philosopher... or, as his wife would have it, an idiot.
-Douglas Adams

And those are the words of a gentleman. From the first moment I met you, your arrogance and conceit, your selfish disdain for the feelings of others made me realize that you were the last man in the world I could ever be prevailed upon to marry.
-Elizabeth Bennett (Pride and Prejudice)

Mr. Darcy: I thought that poetry was the food of love.
Elizabeth Bennet: Of a fine stout love, it may. But if it is only a vague inclination I'm convinced one poor sonnet will kill it stone dead
(P and P again -- My favourite book sorry folks)

I don't know who said this, but I really like it :)

"Things will always turn out okay in the end. If things aren't okay, then it's not the end"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back