James Adams

OOC First Name
James
Sexual Orientation
Esmexual.
Wand
Walnut Wand 14 1/2" Essence of Vampire Blood
Hey all,

I was wondering why we don't have a similar sort of system for the duelling club as we do for Quidditch. Surely it wouldn't be too difficult to take the current coding, and alter it slightly. If you pressed a button, the attack would come up as hit or missed, and the other person's health would go down.

If you wanted to make it even more complex, you could have different spells having different damage levels, but less chance of it hitting or something. Spells could be limited to user groups too (first years couldn't therefore use complex seventh year spells).

However, I am assuming this would be a complex code, so i doubt that this is the best suggestion.

James

P.S. Why doesn't the curser move into the centre of the BBCode when the button has been pressed?

Hi James,

When the Quidditch System was announced we hinted at future possibilities:
Cyndi's Announcement said:
Much like with other site-wide plots, our activity and interest in sitting and brainstorming further developments for this, such as expanding this to professional quidditch, and for other areas of the site, such as developing a similar system for duelling ( :r ), is highly dependent on your activity in the currently existing site-wide plots. The more you participate, the more eager we are to think up further ways to develop ideas. ^_^
And, the site staff (especially Cyndi) can attest to just how often I have mentioned expanding this to duelling - the holdup is that nobody really duels at all. Quidditch was popular and being used, then we made a system to make it easier: because there was interest and we knew it wouldn't just be a waste of my time (which I value fairly highly and don't have tonnes of). Duelling simply isn't in that place yet. I think it was just in Y20 that we revisited the idea as a staff team and agreed to see how a duelling tournament that was in the plans went before we decided if we should move forward: the lack of a duelling tournament anywhere shows how far that got.

In summary: the idea has been on the table since when work began on the Quidditch system. It's even been announced as a possibility to the site. People don't care enough about duelling for it to be a worthwhile use of time right now. I can have all the ideas in the world (and sometimes the staff and I really do have quite a backlog of awesome stuff we'd love to do), but none of them matter at all if nobody does anything with them.

As an aside: "Surely it wouldn't be too difficult to take the current coding, and alter it slightly." This is wrong - other than the broad strokes being the same, it's actually a very different beast than Quidditch was.

I've been waiting to write this code for about a year now. Give me a reason to do it.

Best,

~Nick

Just as a side note, I really love duelling and have always wanted to participate (I want that damn code!!! :r ) so If people could put their characters into duelling that would be great, Tenile has some great ideas she wants to run by you but she can't if there's no interest!

Cheers,
Teigan.

My apologies, I hadn't realised that there would be such a difference, and that there would be hold ups. When i first posted, i originally thought that having an easier system would get more people into joining, and so the system would be used.

I realise now the issues with the code,

James

Hey James,

I fear you've misunderstood my response. The issue isn't with the code, really. I haven't started it. I could have had it done a month after Quidditch, probably.
The issue is with interest and activity.
Would making a system make more people involved with it? Yes, at least for a short time. But the last time codes were made for Quidditch and for Duelling at the same time, the same thing happened - momentary uptick in duelling interest, then a decrease again. Quidditch maintained activity for a fairly serious amount of time, and was active when this most recent change was made for it.
People have to show an interest in duelling and making duelling work regardless of how difficult it is for it to be worthwhile for me to write a code for it. If I write the code today and release it tomorrow, we'll be in the same boat in terms of commitment and activity. People will use it for a bit, then it'll fall off. It should not be a code that motivates people to do duelling RPs - they should be doing the RPs and then we can add a code to make it easier. If we make the motivation the wrong thing we've set ourselves up for failure.

Like I said: I've been waiting to write this code for about a year now. Give me a reason to do it.

Ah, I think i understand what you're getting at then. I realise your statements now. I shall try to put more effort into duelling then, after my holiday.

Thanks for the responses anyway,

James

If it helps, I can dedicate a lot of time into it, having Styx lead it with another professor (if needed), and getting students involved. I know mine would love to duel and such. Well, about half of them (which is like nine students).
We can start up a trial run, see how many people are interested in dueling, and doing that tournament like suggested earlier but if we can see who all would be active with the dueling part, then write up the code? I wouldn't want the code to be written first and no one use it. That'd be like a slap to the face.
We could probably talk this out further and have sign ups in the plot development area (or elsewhere), just to see who'd be interested, and how the tournament would go.

The best way to show interest would be to join the SDA which sponsors duels. It seems that many people are expressing interest in these duels and a revamped duelling system, but I'm not really seeing much of an uptick in the people signing up for the club. I think that would be a good start for anyone interested in duels happening. :)

Professor Cyndi Kingsley said:
The best way to show interest would be to join the SDA which sponsors duels.
(And also actually duelling.)

Maybe a prize could also help, a reason for more people to join. How about house points for the three first places? (first = 50, second = 30, third = 10 or something).

I agree with everything said. Since taking the SDA I have been planning for a tournament to happen, and if that means we need a professor to help out, I wohld be willing to throw one in if Kaitlyn needs it (althkugh I am pretty sure one should be okay)
I actually had a sticky note reminding myself to bug Nick about this once the SDA really hit off and I could show him that there was interest before he bothered himself with the coding. Wiith regards to a reward system, this was in place when dueling was to start back up, and it did not work out.
I think the major issue is a lack of knowledge about the tournament, so the suggestion of a PD was definitely something I had thought about doing once the IC year got a littlw underway, and along with what was said already, a fair few of my own students would be interested in dueling, which is quite a numbrr as well. :lol:
So, back to what was previously said, joining the SDA is really the best way to get the support for duels, and currently the SDA is looking at it, but I cannot approach anyone if it is only going to be a few people, because the time and effort would not be rewarded.

On a different note, I apologise for grammar and spelling, or repition, as I am on my mobile that loves autocorrect and has small buttons, and I cannot see what I have previously typed. ^_^
-Tenilee

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back