Don't Let Me Down

Indianna Lee

Wand
Holly Wand 11" Essence of Phoenix Feather
It had been but a fortnight since Indianna had ventured home with a kind of emptiness in her heart and, already, the dangers of Zimbabwe felt like a world away from the cocoon she had weaved herself in London. It felt too safe here on her couch, her humble abode too impenetrable and yet the latina woman knew that setting a foot wrong in this city could mean her undoing. Indianna sighed into her mug as she folded her legs beneath her body, allowing the bitter taste of the coffee to coalesce with her thoughts. It had been well over a year since she had grown sick of civilisation, sick of living in a shoebox, sick of him and it seemed not a whole lot had changed in her absence. But here she was, right back at square one and the thought of high tailing it back to the wilderness was far too tempting.

It was just as well that Indianna's thoughts were disrupted by a sharp rap against the window pane. Her peridot eyes lifted in delight at the sight of her barred owl, hopeful that he would come baring good news. Swapping the coffee for her wand, Indianna muttered a quiet incantation and the window sprung open, much to Hermes dismay. Stifling a giggle as the disgruntled bird approached her, Indianna combed her fingers through his feathers apologetically and looked down eagerly at what he had brought her. However, it didn't take long for her brow to furrow in annoyance. It was not the letter she had been expecting from her Mamá, nor was it the novel she had ordered from Flourish and Blotts, it was merely the Daily Prophet. And on its reverse side, who other than the handsome Wimbourne Wasps beater himself? Indianna rolled her eyes and hurled the paper into the bin. "Thanks, Hermes." Indianna smiled somewhat sarcastically at the owl, because Merlin knew that was just what she needed right now. As Hermes began to settle down on his perch, Indianna sprung up from hers and decided that some company, other than that of the animal variety, would do her a world of good.

The spring afternoon air was crisp as it swirled in through the open window but was not overly bitter. With that in mind, Indianna slipped into an outfit more suitable for the outside world, and bade goodbye to her animals as she grabbed a bottle of red on her way out the door. It occurred to Indianna as she prepared to apparate that Jenn may no longer take up residence in her Cardiff abode and even if she still did, was Indianna still welcome there? It was edging on two years since she had seen her dear friend. Between Jenn's busy Quidditch schedule and her own stint in Africa, life had just gotten in the way. But not today, Indianna thought as she landed just outside Jenn's home and tentatively knocked on her front door.

Jennifer Wilkonson was a name on everybody's tongue as of late. The Holyhead Harpies had done exceptionally well in the last few games, in no small part, thanks to her. It was shocking to the young woman even now how much her fame could grow within just a few short days although in these parts she could hardly walk around the wizarding community without someone recognizing her. It was the problem with living in Cardiff, really. Holyhead was just so close. New York City was always a nice break, mostly due to the fact that as a Canadian she missed being in a country whose accent and first language was the same as her own but today she had a practice early in the morning and wanted to relax.

Relaxing, however, did not include the ice bath she took after practice so as she shivered while stepping out Jenn flicked her wand that she hastily grabbed to dry her off and changed out of her wet, cold shorts and sports bra into more appropriate clothes for the day intended. She had no plans so made no effort in the slightest. Her long, wet hair was pulled up into a messy top knot and she pulled and now dressed she left her bedroom. Jenn settled into her couch, cuddling close to her cat who came up to her. Her cat always seemed to act more like a dog and when there was someone at the door, always made sure to greet them with her so as Jenn stood up she wasn't particularly surprised to see Gimli follow her. She was, however, surprised to see Indianna Lee at the door.

For a moment, Jenn's mouth was open in shock. It was so long since she had seen a lot of people, Indi in particular. She was so busy with work that she had very little time for anyone she knew prior to Quidditch except for Sam Prince who was her competition. She felt poorly for not making an attempt to make any contact with anybody but after Scorpius died, Riley's baby and everything with Amaryllis there just didn't seem to be any point. People were disappointing and hurtful, herself included. She had make some poor decisions with Sam Prince not that long ago and here was his ex-girlfriend standing before her. Still, she opened her arms to the girl and smiled. "It's so good to see you, Indi!" This was not unwelcome company at all so after the, still cold, Jenn gave her friend a hug she opened her door further to Indianna and said, "C'mon in." She was eager to hear what the girl had been up to for the past two years.

It was not until the front door eased open and the young woman with a knot of blonde hair stood before her that Indianna realised she had been holding onto her breath. She exhaled with a sigh of relief and a gleam of thankfulness in her eyes. Folding herself into her open arms, Indianna noted how chilled Jenn's body felt against her own olive skin. But it did not stop the familiar warmth that flooded through her as she squeezed her arms right back around the Quidditch star for the first time in a very long time. "Jenn!" She all but squeaked. "I can't even begin to tell you how much I've missed you!" It was true; Indianna missed all of her school friends dearly, even Riley who had unnerved her at the best of times. It was often that she dreamt of their carefree times at Hogwarts and awoke each time with an ache in her heart when she remembered that those days were long gone. Things would never quite be the same.

However, Indianna shook those troubled thoughts from her mind as the blonde invited her inside. "With pleasure! And what's a good catch up without a glass or two of wine?" She winked and passed Jenn the bottle of red she had brought over. But as she went to take a step inside, she felt a furry body curl itself around her leg. "Hola, señor." Indianna said smilingly to the friendly feline at her feet as she reached down to give him a scratch behind the ears. "And I get a welcoming committee and everything, this is great." With a slight chuckle, Indianna rose to her full stature and finally made her way into her friend's home.

"I hope I'm not imposing, Jenn." The veterinarian mentioned as she settled down on a couch, her peridot eyes sweeping from her friend to the coffee table near her knees. "I just- I just, um..." She hesitated as she noticed the Prophet strewn upon it, facing her was the exact same picture that had caused her to throw her own copy in the trash. But this time Indianna could not look away as easily. What made every other female in the vicinity swoon, made Indi feel sick to her stomach. She missed Sam just as much as she had missed Jenn but she also could not help the anger and the guilt that poured through her at every sight of his handsome face - even after all these years. Suddenly snapping from her train of thought, Indianna cleared her throat and felt her face grow hot with shame. "I just thought some company would do me some good." She finished quietly, pressing Jenn a smile as she tried to steer the conversation in a more cheerful direction. "So what have you been up to, my little Quidditch star?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back