Disappointment.

Emery Winters

OOC First Name
Camilla!
On a quiet evening in a small, neat and cozy house just outside of Glasgow, Emery Winters, British Minister of Magic, was extremely unhappy, to put it lightly. He was livid. He had just had a difficult and extremely busy day at work, only to come home to a phonecall that informed him that his beloved eldest daughter, Pearl, and her husband, Patrick, had been involved in a car accident that afternoon. They were both fine apart from some broken bones, but were expected to remain in hospital for a little while yet. And to top it all off, he had recieved a disturbing letter from Beauxbatons, regarding the progress of his eldest granddaughter, Antoinette. Emery had always been wary of sending her to Beauxbatons. She had been doing so well at Hogwarts - maybe she hadn't been completely happy, but she excelled in her studies, a true Ravenclaw. However, she had wanted to change - Durmstrang would have been too harsh a place for such a girl as Antoinette, and the only other close school was Beauxbatons, which appeared as though it would have suited Antoinette perfectly.
Apparently, this was not the case.
Indeed, it appeared that his beloved granddaughter had more time for boys than for study. For Antoinette had been skipping classes and not doing work, and more than once she had been caught out kissing different boys (from different year levels) while she should have been in class.
Emery had expected different of Antoinette. She was extremely intelligent, she had so much potential. Emery saw the makings of a future Minister of Magic within her.
But not if she behaved like this.
Slamming down the letter, Emery drained the last of his tea, slipped on his shoes and grabbed his cloak, before striding over to the fireplace. He was going to go to Beauxbatons and see his granddaughter. She needed a very stern talking-to. He grabbed some floo powder, tossed it in to the fireplace, muttered the name of the village next to Beauxbatons, and off he went.

In the palace of Beauxbatons, Antoinette Greenwood ascended the stairs gracefully, heading from the dining hall up to her dorm, twirling her hair around her left index finger as she did so. It was not polite to play with one's hair, but Antoinette figured that it was late, nobody would see her. Besides, the rest of her manners were so impeccable, she supposed she could be forgiven for such a tiny fault.
Continuing up the stairs, she saw Leon running down, looking a little flustered. Must have fallen asleep in the library again, she thought, giving him a wink and a coy smile as she strode onwards. Christophe and Tristen, too, walked away from the library toward the boys dorm, both of them smiling nervously at Antoinette - Christophe looking a little flustered as she slyly winked at him.
I love the fact that Grandfather let me transfer here. Everything is beautiful. Particuarly the boys, she thought smugly to herself, walking past the library with her head held high.
"Antoinette," she heard somebody call - it was Camille, a seventh year girl, who quite obviously disliked her. Antoinette didn't quite understand. So what if I was flirting? she questioned, mentally. It was just that, flirting. Goodness knows, she doesn't flirt with her own boyfriend. Somebody has to. She turned around, looking disinterested. "Yes?" she replied, coldly.
"Madame wishes to speak with you. Go, now," Camille intoned, distaste obvious on her face. Antoinette simply nodded, and Camille walked quickly away in the other direction, not wishing to have anything more to do with her. Well, good, Antoinette thought, as she quickly walked towards Madame's office, wondering what she was in for.

Emery reached the gates of Beauxbatons and, upon asking, was immediately shown to the Headmistress's office. He had made a decision - it was close to Christmas, and due to the family upheaval, he would bring Antoinette home early, and have her stay with him. Provided that was allowed, of course. He would permit Antoinette to return to Beauxbatons after Christmas, while he evaluated whether it was worth sending her back to Hogwarts. Perhaps New Zealand? he thought - then banished that thought almost instantly. New Zealand was too far away, and besides, having Angus and Antoinette in the same school would surely be a bad idea. He wondered if Violet would be able to straighten Antoinette out, but then he worried that Violet might, instead, be corrupted by Antoinette. Goodness only knew, Emery could not deal with two outrageous flirts in the family.
Entering the office of Madame Chevalier, Emery approached the desk and bowed respectfully, kissing the Headmistress's hand.
"Madame," he began, nodding.
"Monsieur Winters," Madame Chevalier replied, gesturing for Emery to sit down.
"It is late, so I will not take too much of your time, Madame. Thank you for making the time to see me," he explained, politely.
"It is nothing," Madame Chevalier stated in her heavily accented English. "What is it that you wished to see me about? Is it your granddaughter, Mademoiselle Greenwood?"
"You have assumed correctly, Madame. She has not been attending class?"
"Indeed," Madame Chevalier replied, with a sad nod. "Monsieur. Mademoiselle Greenwood is an extraordinarily intelligent girl. She tops the class in Charms every year. In fact, she is performing Charms at a fifth year level, definately above her peers in that subject. The other Professors report that she has the potential to top the class in their subjects too. Only," she paused, looking straight at Emery. "Only she doesn't attend classes, nor do the homework, nor apply herself in any way. She is managing to pass Transfiguration and Defence Against the Dark Arts, as she has attended those classes, but is not doing her best work. She is failing History of Magic, Astronomy, and she is on the verge of failing Potions. Monsieur, I am very sorry that you should have to deal with this."
Emery looked at his hands, which were shaking. How could his beautiful Antoinette let him down like this?
"Madame. I am extremely sorry that you should have to deal with this. I did not know she would behave so poorly. She was never like this. I came to ask if I might be permitted to bring her home early. Her parents were, today, in a car accident, and it is a stressful time for the family. I will talk to her and have her make up the work that she has missed upon her return. I know she'll be behind, but that is her own fault, more than anything else. If that is alright with you, Madame."
Madame Chevalier sighed, and nodded, tiredly. "Very well. Being away for a little while may do her good. And she needs to be near her family at such a time. I shall send for her at once." Noticing a seventh year girl - a prefect - standing outside, Madame Chevalier beckoned her in. "Mademoiselle Leveque, could you find Mademoiselle Greenwood and send her here, right away? Merci beaucoup." The older girl nodded and disappeared.

Antoinette stepped in to the office of Madame Chevalier, fear seizing her chest as she saw a very familiar figure seated opposite Madame. Grandfather. What is he doing here? No, it can't be... she thought, panicked. However, Antoinette did not allow that panic to show. She had an idea of what this whole meeting was about, but she would act oblivious. "Grandfather!" she exclaimed, smiling broadly. "How wonderful it is to see you here, of all places!" She rushed over to kiss her grandfather on both cheeks, waiting for the trouble to begin. Surely he's not going to pull me out of school. He can't. He won't, will he?

Emery scowled as Antoinette entered the room, appearing oblivious to what was going on. He knew her tricks. He could see the look in her eyes. He even knew that the kisses on the cheeks were just a game, just pretending as though she didn't know what was going on, when clearly she did. "Antoinette..." Emery began gruffly, before checking himself. He wasn't going to lose his temper here. He didn't plan on losing his temper at all, but especially not in front of such a respected woman as Madame Chevalier.
"Antoinette, I am very disappointed in you. You have disrespected your Professors, your family, and yourself. And now you're failing classes. That's not like you at all." He checked himself again, feeling the anger rise in his voice.
"Antoinette. Mum and Dad were in a car accident today. They're both in hospital, and recovery will be a little while. They will be okay, but I want you to come home. Tonight. And that's not a question, young lady. Your recent behaviour must come to a stop. So you're coming home tonight, and you're not returning to school after Christmas. Madame Chevalier has approved it." Emery fell silent, overcome by emotion.
"Mademoiselle Greenwood, go and pack your bags, and return once you have packed," Madame Chevalier said, emotionless. "You are dismissed. Return as fast as you can. I do not want you to keep Monsieur Winters waiting."

Antoinette bit her lip as her grandfather talked, feeling quite numb. Failing? Am I really failing? she thought, horrified. But that's impossible! Although, she hadn't been attending classes. That was a problem. But failing?She said nothing, merely curtseyed to Madame Chevalier, walked slowly out of the room, and then broke in to a run once she was safely out the door. Leaving Beauxbatons! It wasn't permanent, she knew, but still, leaving early! And her mother and father were in a car accident...so that means I'm stuck with Grandfather. She shivered, a tear streaming silently down her cheek.
Upon reaching her dorm, Antoinette began to pack, slowly. She knew she was supposed to be quick, but she needed time to straighten herself out before she returned to Madame and Grandfather.
"Accio books," she sighed, pointing her wand at the stack of books beside her bed.

Once that was done, Antoinette scrawled a note to Trista, explaining where she had gone (of course, she didn't mention the disgrace bit, only that her parents were in hospital), and then levitated her trunk outside and down the hall to Madame Chevalier's office, holding her head high despite how small and lousy she felt. Appearance meant everything.

Emery sighed, wanting to just bury his face in his hands and cry. All his life, it seemed he had been losing people. His father, then his stepfather, his half-sister, his mother...then Ruby, stubborn Ruby, had run off to the other side of the world. Emery often caught himself wishing he'd been a better father, wished he had been happy that his daughter had gotten in to Gryffindor house. He'd reconciled with Pearl, after all. He knew he hadn't been the best father - one daughter was a squib and one was a Gryffindor, so he'd never been happy with either of them. But Pearl had become successful, had married well, and had remained the good child, so despite the genetic mishap, he had been able to reconcile with Pearl and show her that he really did love her. He had never been able to do that with Ruby. He rarely even saw the woman, or her daughters - of course he knew Angus well, but he barely knew Violet or Alice. Right now it looked as though Violet was the most responsible of his grandchildren. Not for the first time, he wished he was able to pay more attention to Violet. She appeared to be much more sensible than her cousin. Where did I go wrong? he thought. What did I do to deserve this?
Upon Antoinette's return, Emery stood up, and once again bowed to Madame Chevalier. "Merci beaucoup, Madame." He quickly turned and walked out, grabbing Antoinette's wrist and pulling her along, outside of the Beauxbatons palace.

Antoinette was silent for the walk of shame back to the nearby village, in fact, she was silent all the way back to her grandfather's house in Glasgow. She wasn't going to risk crying by saying anything. She knew her grandfather wouldn't want to hear her cry.
Once they arrived in the fireplace, Antoinette stomped off, levitating her trunk, up to her room, not wanting to see her grandfather any more. He surely wouldn't have anything nice to say to her.
As soon as she switched her lights out, she burst in to tears, not being able to hold her misery in any longer. She felt for sure that her life was ruined.

The next morning, Emery sat at the breakfast table, sipping on his tea, feeling heartbroken. He had heard Antoinette cry last night, although she wouldn't know that. He knew she'd been putting on a facade for him. Really, he knew her better than she knew. He, too, had fallen a little off the rails in his fourth year, chasing girls. Of course, it wasn't to this extent, and he'd straightened up pretty quickly, for the sake of his OWLs. Antoinette needed to straighten up, too. Failure would not look good for her. Not for Antoinette Greenwood, a true Ravenclaw. She excelled in Charms, she could easily excel in other subjects, and yet she simply didn't. And that simply broke Emery's heart.
Antoinette had not appeared for breakfast, and Emery needed to go to work, so he walked up the stairs to her room and knocked on the door.
"Antoinette," he began, and then he faltered. He wasn't angry at her, just disappointed, and he wanted her to know that he was on her side. "Antoinette, I am going to work. You should do those History of Magic assignments you missed today. There is food in the fridge and freezer if you're hungry. Tonight we'll go see Mum and Dad and go out for dinner, okay, sweetheart?" Suspecting she wouldn't answer, Emery sighed and walked downstairs to the fireplace, heading off to the Ministry of Magic.

Antoinette pretended to be asleep, as she heard her grandfather's footsteps approaching her door. She wasn't willing to talk to him. Not right now. In fact she wasn't sure she wanted to speak to him again. She understood why he did what he did, but she didn't like it at all. She thought it was a little too drastic, too. At least he's going to work, she thought, bitterly, glad she would not have to put up with him today. But if he thought she was going to study History of Magic...he had another think coming. Once she was sure he was gone, she threw back the covers of the bed, had a quick shower and dressed herself in comfortable muggle clothes, grabbed her money and threw it in to her bag, quickly brushed her long blonde hair and applied some make up, and raced downstairs to the fireplace. Grandfather trusted me enough to leave this out, she thought, a sly smile creeping across her face as she saw the floo powder. She grabbed a handful and stepped in to the fireplace, calling out "Brightstone Village, New Zealand," - the first place she thought of - and disappered.

Exhausted, Emery strode out of the fireplace, glad to be home after a long day of work, although there was still plenty to do for the evening. It would be family time, however - time spent with his beloved granddaughter. A sad smile crept on to his face as he thought of this. Antoinette would be back on track in no time, he believed. She just needed some time out to hopefully realise the error of her ways.
"Antoinette," he called out, cheerfully, hoping that she was feeling better and would come out. However, he heard nothing but the echo of his own voice. "Antoinette, darling?" he called again, walking slowly up the stairs. Still, he heard nothing. "Antoinette Emily Greenwood!" he cried, a little worried. He knocked on her bedroom door, however there was no sound. Fearing the worst, he slowly pushed open the door. The room was empty, Antoinette was gone. Stunned, Emery dropped to his knees, unsure of what to say or do. His beloved Antoinette, his granddaughter, had run away. And she'd had access to the Floo network, so she could be anywhere. France, perhaps, or London...Emery didn't know. He was simply dumbfounded.

Not having anywhere else to go, or anywhere to stay, Antoinette almost considered going straight back to Scotland and apologising. But that would be failure, and Antoinette had already had enough of that for the moment. Instead, she found herself facing a fireplace, with a destination in her mind. She knew her aunt Ruby and her grandfather were not on the best of terms. She also figured her aunt owed her a favour - after all, she did dump Angus on her family for a good 10 years. Sighing, she stepped in to the fireplace. "Ruby and Chris Bellamy's house, Brisbane, Australia," she said clearly, desperately hoping it would work. She knew they had a fireplace, which was fairly pointless for a climate like Brisbane's, but she knew why Ruby really had the fireplace. And now she was putting it to use.

Stepping out, she recalled their living room, just as it had been last time. Antoinette sneezed, the dust from the fireplace getting in to her nose.

"Who's there?" called a voice Antoinette recognised.

"Uncle Chris?" she asked, dumbly.

"Oh, my God. Ruby, come here, quick."

"Chris! What on earth is going on?" Ruby called anxiously, before slapping a hand over her mouth. Rosie was asleep, and she didn't want to wake her up. "Darling?"

"I, um, I think you should check out the fireplace..." Chris muttered, a little dumbfounded. Hearing Rosie cry out, he excused himself and went to see what was wrong. "You're know more about this magic caper than I do, obviously," he muttered.

With worried footsteps, Ruby walked towards the living room, grabbing her wand from her bedroom on the way. She didn't have much occaision to use her wand, but she kept it clean and used it every once in a while, to keep her hand in. It made cleaning so much easier in any case.
Her jaw dropped in astonishment when she saw the figure who had stepped out of the fireplace. "My God. If it isn't Antoinette Greenwood." She rushed over and gave the girl - her niece - a hug, before beginning to talk at a million miles an hour, which she was known to do. "My goodness! Are you alright? Are your mum and dad alright? How's your grandfather? Where have you been? What brought you over here?" Emery had called her just before in a right state, panicking about Antoinette and virtually in tears on the phone. One of the few times Ruby had seen or heard her father cry. But she figured she'd give the fifteen year old and opportunity to explain herself before they sorted something out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back