Desperate thoughts

Grause Hitchins

Wand
Holly/Ebony Wand 12 1/2" Essence of Griffin Feather
Vydráel sat under the shade of a giant oak, looking out towards the forest and greenhouses. His shoulders were hunched as he read through another letter he hadn't thought to read inside.
Vydráel, It's been awhile since i sent my first letter to you and i have not yet been replied to. I know you have no reason to trust what i say, but i assure you that i AM your cousin. Since being accepted into the hogwarts school in New Zealand, your mother has decided to come back into contact with her family - your family, i would like to know a little about my cousin before we meet during the holidays. Please write back

Stephanie Wyvernblood

He dropped the letter and looked out towards the forest, thinking of what his mother was assuming during the holidays. She thinks I'm coming back for the holidays? That stupid women, she doesn't know anything. Nothing at all.. He flicked a lock of hair out of his face as his eyes closed, thinking of what he should say to reply and what he should tell his mother..

Andromeda walked across the lawn, exams were over and she had results so far for two. DADA she was so not happy about! O or not she could have done so much better. As she didn't have to wear her uniform now she had thrown on her jeans and an old t-shirt but had pulled on the old baggy Gryffindor house jumper that had once been her uncles. Her trainers crunched across the gravel path of the lawn, the noise annoying her she decided to move on to the grass instead. On doing so her attention was caught by a solitary figure. 'Drae' she smiled, she hadn't talked to him really since that day in the library and hospital. Slowly she made her way over, creeping up silently behind him. Kneeling ever so softly as she circled her arms about and closed her hands over his eyes.
"guess who?" she whispered close to his ear.

Someone whom means the world to me Vydráel felt the slightly flushed hands of Andy on his face, knowing instantly who it was with a voice like an instrument in perfect tune. "Andy my eyes were already closed." He replied in a chuckle. He raised both his hands and placed them on hers. "How are you?"

Andromeda smiled as she moved to sit beside him marvelling once again how she felt instantly relaxed about him. She watched their hands joined again as seemed to be the norm now whenever they met.
"I've been ok how about you?" she looked into his eyes and smiled again, almost with a contented sigh she looked back down at their hands, "I haven't had a chance to talk to you what with exams and everything".

Vydráel watched her settle beside him with a small smile, then her eyes flicker to their hands. "Yeah my time has been pretty much caught up, what with organising staying here and stuff as well as the exams." he replied. "I'm ok, my mother thinks I'm coming home for holidays."

"She thinks? You aren't going home then?" she asked him gazing into his face. Andromeda didn't know why but she felt peaceful with Drae, as if the wolf in her hushed itself completely and let her rest. It was a strange feeling to have, for she knew that around others she was always on her guard always afraid incase she said the wrong thing. Always conscious of their expectations of her. With him she could just be!
"You get to spend Christmas with me!" she smiled.

She sheepishly smiled at him and shook her head.
"Nope, I would love to be with them but they haven't a place ready yet for housing me and seeing as Christmas Eve is a full moon it just seemed unfair to expect them to deal with it" she told him. Andromeda took a deep breath and looked out over the expanse of lawn.
"Does it snow here for Christmas Drae?"

Vydráel nodded his understanding at her point. "My mother always had this sort of ritual where my father and i would sit in the lounge around the christmas tree and we would have to guess what was in our first present before we got to unwrap it. I suppose that's the only thing i'll miss this year." he said randomly, looking into her eyes. "No, it doesn't snow here, it's the wrong climate for that. I wouldn't be surprised if the headmistress or whoever is here for christmas does something to the great hall to make it look snowy though." he added with a grin.

"Well how about Christmas morning we gather around the Christmas tree in the commonroom and exercise your right to have some bit of a traditional christmas. We won't open anything until we guess first", she smiled at him. Andromeda had an urge then to look at her skin, it was still grey and yet for some strange reason which she got an awful lot when around Drae, she was almost certain her skin wasn't quite so grey anymore.She sighed, if she hadn't been so pale to begin with she probably wouldn't look this shade now, it wasn't the worst shade in the world but it did look like someone was trying for a sepia photo and decided at the last minute to add colour to every thing else but the skintone.

Andromeda wanted to know more, "So if it's not the right climate for snow why is it so cold and why so much rain?"

Vydráel gave her an impish grin. "I'm not mister know it all." he chuckled. "I learn what I can but I can't learn everything."
He reached over and grabbed the letter he dropped, passing it to Andy. "I wonder if I should write back, she seems to be genuine and I would like someone to mail every now and again."

Andromeda took the letter from him saying to his answer, "I never said you knew everything but you're from around here aren't you? Does it usually get this cold and wet is all I was trying to ask?"
She smiled then and looked at the letter, she shuffled about so her back was leaning against his right arm. She read it slowly then reread it.
"You never replied to the last note she sent you?" she asked him,"The tone of the letter seems genuinely sincere Drae. If I thought you wanted mail that badly I'd have sent you some!"
Andromeda turned her face slightly smiling at him, she handed him back his letter and looked out across the lawn once more.
"Never take them for granted... family I mean. If they are good anyhow. I think you should write but that's my opinion".

Of course that's what she meant. "Yeah, sorry." he chuckled softly. "But I thought you were asking me why it didn't snow." He took back the letter and thought for a moment before responding again.
"I.. don't know if I want more a family to talk to.." He began slowly, not knowing quite what he was saying. "What if I scare them like i scare most other people?" He knew he was just rambling, it wasn't really true, he just made people uncomfortable at times.

"Well I don't find you scary at all infact your one of the least scary people I know" she smiled then chuckling she added, "Now if you brought me home to meet the family that would definitly be someone scary for them to meet!"

Vydráel put his arm around her shoulder with thinking, his head up in the clouds before coming back to reply. "We could always work something out." he whispered softly. Thoughts of what his extended family would look like, how they would act came back slowly and filled him with doubts and fears.

Andromeda laughed then snuggling into his shoulder. She liked this feeling. "I don't think I'll be going any where but here for Christmas. They can... accomodate me here and I need the hospital wing afterwards" she muttered as she picked up a daisy from the grass, twiddling it in her fingers.

"Then there is always the late night holiday craziness we can always get up to over here." he added, hoping to assure her of his support. "I'm here in anyway i can be."

"I know Drae, I know and I thank you" she said remembering how awful she felt afterwards, indeed for nearly two days afterwards.
"The full moon would have to be on Christmas Eve this year wouldn't it?" she smiled weakly, "I won't have any strength to open any of my presents!"

"I'll unwrap them for you, if you want. Or i could find some sort of sharp tool so you wont have to worry about strength." He felt slightly sorry for her, as her condition only gave her a weaker self image.

"You aren't going to the ball are you Drae?" she asked him, wondering exactly what he would be getting up to, "You do remember I mentioned there's a party in the commonroom. Will you try and make it if you don't go to the Yule Ball?"

Vydráel looked at her with a grin. "I'm there for a little while and then I'm off for some mischief only a Wyvenblood can achieve." he said with a wink. "Until then you have my complete and undivided attention."

"Why thank you Drae, I am sure I will feel suitably honoured by your presence" she laughed, "And exactly what sort of mischief is it you'll be getting up to? Nothing that could damage your wrist again?"

"Wrist? oh no!" he chuckled slightly. "I'm planning on something much more elaborate. Maybe my collar this time." he added jokingly, flicking another strand of hair out of his face.
"I'm not a too social person to tell the truth. More then three or so people and i get nervous."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back