Open Day One: Gotta Train

Conan couldn't help but laugh a little as Fraser was quick to push up again at the little taunt. This was fun, maybe a little too fun. But he didn't want it to end, he was enjoying this all a little so much so he kept on flying. He was sure he could go faster if he wanted, but for now, this was just fast enough for him. He didn't want to get too reckless about things, after all. Instead, he focused in front of him, though did have to stick his tongue out a little over at Fraser as he pushed just an inch further in front again. Just because he could.

Fraser was enjoying this a lot. He was sure that Conan was too. They'd just about finished the first lap and were starting on the second. He watched as Conan edged in front sticking his tongue out at him as he did. Fraser smiled, he would've laughed but it was difficult to with the air and speed they were going at. He didn't really urge his broom any faster just kept the same speed, flying mostly next to him with Conan a little ahead. It was early, the weather looked like it was about to rain, but he was having the most amount of fun he'd had in a long while. This was good.

They were really starting to pick up speed now, though Conan was starting not to even think about that. He was just enjoying being in the air and finally getting back into the swing of things. He really had quite forgotten how much he loved flying. Of course, he would actually never admit that out loud as that meant being one step closer to being like his father. And that was the last thing he ever wanted. Instead, he just turned to look a little behind him when Fraser didn't speed up to catch up again, letting him hold the inch lead he had. Maybe that was the speed limit for him.

Fraser let Conan get out ahead, this was not a race, but he just followed in behind him at this point. He urged the broom a little faster, just to close the gap and remain in beside Conan. They were going faster now. He hadn’t thought that Conan would want to go so fast, but he was clearly a skilled flyer. This was clearly something he knew and was good at. Fraser grinned easily at the boy as he just managed to inch ahead of him. He wasn’t likely to go too much faster, he didn’t need to.

He was so caught up in the moment that it was only then he remembered they were supposed to be only doing three laps. Had it been three laps? Maybe it just felt like he had been up in the air for such a long time already. Conan allowed himself to slow down a little, enough to let Fraser fully catch up and slow enough that he could talk without any bugs flying into his open mouth. "How many laps are we on? I haven't really been paying attention."

Fraser flew happily at this speed next to Conan and gave a little laugh at the question, ”We're just finishing lap two,” he told him. ”One more to go,” he knew that they'd been flying fast, but a quidditch pitch was still quite big. The Gryffindor was enjoying it, it was nice to fly alongside him, and he was pleased he'd managed to convince him to give it a go. He didn't know what had happened to make Conan a little sceptical, but he was happy to be the thing to help remove it. Quidditch and flying were too much fun to not do.

"Lap two," he repeated with a small nod of his head, "Time really does fly, huh?" Maybe it hadn't seemed so long to Fraser, but to Conan at least, it seemed as though he had been up in the air forever. Maybe that was just because he was out of practice after not flying for so long. Or maybe it was just his brain telling him it had already had enough of this and it was time to land again. But Conan decided to ignore all the mixed message, instead, fixing his eyes on the front to pay attention to where he was flying. It was the last lap. Time to make it count.

Fraser laughed lightly at his joke, he was glad to have heard it. But he focused on flying, finishing the second lap and getting to the third. He used the moment it became the third lap to urge the broom much faster, and break off ahead of Conan. They'd gotten to speed in the first lap, settled in the second, so in his mind it made sense to got as quickly as he could in this third and last lap so he really pushed himself and the broom forward. Fraser knew he'd keep an eye on Conan to make sure the other boy wasn't lagging too far or getting unsteady on the broom.

He didn't think anything was going to be different about the last lap then the previous two, but he was quickly mistaken when Fraser suddenly went shooting out in front. "Hey, wait up!" Conan called after the other boy, leaning forward on his broom and pushing after him. Though as he got faster and faster to try and catch up, he found himself wobbling slightly. It had been some time since he flew so fast, he needed to find his balance again before he ended up tipping over to one side. Maybe the previous speed had been his own limit, not Fraser's.

Fraser had shot off and grinned lightly at Conan words. He kept his slightly faster pace, but noted that Conan wasn't actually catching up. He slowed a little, not going as fast as he had been just before, and he was hopeful this would give Conan the opportunity to catch up. Fraser wanted to push himself, push them both, but he didn't want to push too hard either. Fraser wanted Conan to like him, and was sure forcing him to go too fast on a broom would not do that.

He did have to notice that Fraser had slowed down just a little, that was obvious enough by the fact he was slowly catching up to the other boy again. But Fraser still held the lead, Conan grumbling a little as he tried to push himself just a little bit faster to try and catch up. He knew he could go faster, he just needed to try and relax and not worry about falling off so much.

Fraser noted that Conan was trying to go faster, but he didn't slow down any more, they would be finished with this lap soon, both of them. He wanted to try to encourage Conan faster, but knew now the top speed he'd been at wasn't helpful. The Gryffindor glanced back at Conan and tried to give an encouraging smile, but he wasn't sure if Conan would even see it. ”We're almost there!” he shouted loudly, hoping that the other boy did hear it.

Conan briefly looked up when he heard a voice, though had to try and strain his ears to actually hear what Fraser was trying to say. But he couldn't make it our properly with the wind roaring past his ears. So simply decided to offer a quick thumbs up, pretending as though he had heard. He just hoped it wasn't anything too important he would have to lie about later.

Fraser kept flying ahead, resisting the urge to just drop back and go at the same speed as Conan, but didn't, just kept pushing forward. Kept flying forward. He finished the third lap first, obviously, and then began slowing right down. Which would allow Conan to finish his third lap and catch up. It had been good, flying was always fun, and he felt like Conan had flown well. He felt a little good about himself knowing that he had managed to get Conan in the air with no major accidents following getting him in the air. But maybe he'd find out exactly how Conan felt when they stopped flying.

His final lap was almost coming to a close, and it was no surprise that Fraser beat him to finishing with the faster speed he was going. If this had been an official race then Conan would have just lost. But, thankfully, it wasn't a race. He was still trying to get his flying legs back for the time being. Then he could worry about trying to push himself to going faster and faster. But he wasn't too far behind the other boy, a smile on his face as he finally slowed down again, letting out a long breath he didn't even know he had been holding in. "Woah," he was still quite breathless, face still tingling from the air rushing past previously. "I forgot how fun that could be."

Fraser's smile grew even wider as it appeared that this had been good for Conan. He laughed lightly, agreeing with how amazing flying could be. ”Did you stop flying?” the gryffindor asked him. He knew that people stopped flying for reasons, and he knew it was probably rude of him to ask it, but he had just asked it anyway. ”Do you want to do some more slow flying or practice some throws?” he asked. Fraser would be keen to get on to throws, but he would do whatever Conan would want.

He was still trying to get his breath back a little when Fraser asked the question. And almost instantly Conan frowned, a small sigh pressing past his lips. "I, er, yeah. I did. When my dad left." It had been a hard time and he couldn't even think about ever flying again back then. But now... now he might have to consider it again. But he didn't really want to think about that right then, trying to perk up again. "Whatever you want, dude! I mean, I'm the one who interrupted your practice and all."

Fraser nodded a little, not sure what Conan's father had to do with him no longer flying, but it didn't matter any more, they were flying now. "What position do you usually play then?" he asked. He wanted to work on his throwing, and flying at speed and passing, but if Conan played a different position then he wouldn't be restricted with that. "I was gonna work on passing and throwing, but we don't gotta if you like playing seeker or something," he said.

Conan was rather thankful when Fraser decided not to ask more about what he meant. Instead, he focused on the question the other boy asked. "Well, I used to play as a beater," though he wasn't so sure about that now. He only learned how to play as a beater because that's what his father played. But Conan didn't want to be anything like his dad, so maybe he should practice other positions. "But no, passing and stuff sounds good. I just... might not be very good at it. I've never really had much practice throwing a quaffle around or anything like that." Back in the day it was all about hitting bludgers and practicing his aim.

Fraser nodded, being a beater was cool, he knew it wasn't the position for him, but he could see why Conan would like it. Had the arm for it. ”It's okay if you aren't,” he said with a smile, he knew he was supposed to be out here to practice and quidditch was important, but this was close enough to it, and he was helping a new friend. Helping a friend was important. ”Let me go get my quaffle, and we can fly around and toss it,” he suggested, waiting for Conan to agree before he went to get the ball.

"Are you sure though? It's okay if you want to do some proper practice. I'll be fine just getting to grips with flying properly again." He still felt just a little unsettled sitting on a broom, so he didn't really know if trying to focus on catching and throwing around a quaffle at the same time as flying was going to be a very good idea or not. But, on the other hand, he kind of wanted to practice with Fraser. It was nice to be flying with a friend and all. "But... I would like that." Though he still couldn't help but feel just a little guilty about it all the same.

Fraser nodded, he knew it wasn't exactly what he wanted to be doing but he was also very happy to do it. Conan was a friend, and it was more important to help friends that practicing. Especially when there wouldn't be a lack of other days to practice. He flew down and grabbed the quaffle before quickly getting back into the air. He took his position with conan, though a little further away and then tossed the quaffle to Conan.

Conan took it that when he got no verbal response and a little nod, that Fraser was okay with practicing some passing as well. So, he waited in the air, hovering in place while the other boy went to go and fetch a quaffle. It was not long before Fraser was back and, admittedly before Conan was ready for it, the other boy was tossing him the quaffle. "Oh!" He exclaimed quickly, having to lean forward to cover enough ground to awkwardly catch the quaffle out of the air. "I got it!" He was actually pretty proud of himself, even if it had been an easy catch. But now he had to throw it back, the tip of his tongue sticking out as he focused, trying to aim right at Fraser as he lobbed the quaffle through the air.

Fraser cheered for Conan when he caught it and said so. Fraser was glad he'd managed to catch it, but wouldn't have thought less of him if he didn't. The Gryffindor waited, not too long as the quaffle was tossed back to him. He didn't have to move that much just sat up straight on the broom and raised himself up a little to catch it. He'd perhaps been a little too close. "Awesome!" he exclaimed excitedly. He shifted position a little, moving slightly further away from Conan and tossing the quaffle back at him.

He clapped himself when Fraser caught the quaffle next, though he supposed it would have been easy and he shouldn't be too surprised about it. But then he was back into concentration mode, sticking the tip of his tongue out as he watched the quaffle sail through the air, managing to manoeuvre himself into the right position to catch it before it fell too low. Now it was his turn to throw it back, looking across at Fraser as he tried to aim it at the boy. However, the quaffle somewhat slipped out of his hand as he went to throw it, "I'm sorry! That's short."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back