Cousins Conversing at the Herrogard

Valcan was not expecting anyone in the Herrogard, his brow furrowing as he exited the hallway to his office, dark bags under his eyes. When he realized that there were two men sitting at his dining table, his expression became more alight, his golden eyes reflecting a bit of chagrin.

"Tristan? Sammael? What brings you two here?" he inquired in fluent Norwegian, the warmth present only over the top of his voice, as per usual. It was nice to see someone around the large fortress these days, but he didn't mind being alone either.

Sammael finished chewing his bite of steak and was taking a sip of his wine when Far walked in. "Good evening Far," he returned in Norwegian. "I was hoping for a good meal and some conversation with you."<i></i>

"Well, you may have both," Valcan replied a bit more warmly to Sammael than he would have to Tristan, and he continued, "Are you two here for the same conversation? And what would you wish to converse about?"

He took his seat at the head of the table, placing his large hands on it, drumming his large fingers upon the fine wood surface.

"Well, I wish to discuss Sophia. How did the summer go? What are your plans for next summer? Etcetera." While waiting for Valcan or Tristan to speak Sammael took another bite of his steak.<i></i>

Tristan's ice blue eyes fell upon his father and listened to the exchange between the man and Sammael, taking a while to process it. He was quite rusty with the language, not having used it for a long while. "Same here, Far, except with Estrella of course," he replied, waiting to see what his father had to say. He wasn't too keen on revealing that he had met with Estrella at the Hog's Head in Brightstone Village nor that he had lost his son.

Valcan frowned a bit at Tristan's less than satisfactory Norwegian, his brow furrowing. His voice deep, he explained to both of them, "For the most part, I had no trouble with either of them during the summer. I didn't expect either of them to be the way they were, but it all turned out fine. I thought for a while I had switched the personality description on both of them."

Looking to both of his sons, he continued, "They know nothing of my allegiances, that is all well. Next summer, I will committ them to the training program." He paused for a moment, and he added, "I am expecting to have to push them harder than I did both of you-" he smirked, as he had not been an easy coach one bit, "As they are starting so late. I couldn't expect them to be able to committ this past summer however, when they were getting used to the place."

((I'm having issues with invisionfree so I apologize for being so slow.))

[No worries, it is being weird for me too.]

"Yes, of course," Sammael said, agreeing completely with everything Valcan said. The girls had extraordinary powers and needed to be pushed to reach their full potentials.

"So, Sophia was no trouble after I left?" The last time Sammael had seen Sophia she was screaming and yelling like he had never seen her do before. He had hoped she had not been too defiant toward Valcan all summer.
<i></i>

Valcan shook his head. "Not enough to be substantial. She was cold and distant the whole time but I could expect nothing more, I suppose."

Ordering dinner and a glass of wine from Persephone, he continued, "The only time either of them were defiant was probably about midway during the summer- They both entered my office after I specifically told them not to and made their way down into the Hall av Portretter, but no farther than that. Good thing, too. I have an idea who was the instigator of that whole ordeal, but with the way Sophia presented herself it could have just as well been her."

Running his finger along a long burn in the table, one that someone must have left years ago. The Hall av Portretter was always a subject of interest though he rarely let anyone down there. Especially considering the things that lay beyond it.

((The norwegian means Hall of Portraits.))

"Sophia's idea to break your rules and go exploring? That does not sound at all like Sophia. Although I can imagine she would be interested in the Hall av Portretter. " Sammael frowned and took a sip of his wine, pondering.<i></i>

Tristan spoke up after listening to the exchange of conversation between Valcan and Sammael, his less-than-fluent Norwegian choppy and broken. "I have to agree with Sammael- That would sound more like Estrella's idea." But she didn't seem like that anymore, he thought to himself with a shudder, as she had seemed more like Valcan when he had met her than anyone. "Did either of them find anything of interest?" he inquired, wondering where Persephone was with the food. He was quite ravenous at the moment.

"Yes, both of them appeared quite intrigued," Valcan replied, "Especially Sophia. She met with Larkana." His expression saddened a bit as he thought about his sister, the pain and grief associated with her death still lingering in his heart, but he hardened his composure to mask it. "Other than that, I don't know what they found in books and such. They weren't able to go into the lower levels to my knowledge, so as far as I am concerned my identity is safe."

"She met Mother?" Sammael asked in shock. He had never told Sophia anything about his family or the like.<i></i>

"Yes, she did," Valcan replied, hardening his composure a bit. "They seemed to get along quite well; although they did not speak for long." Valcan's eyes glowed a bit at the mention of his sister, but it subsided as he looked back at Sammael. His adoptive son he loved because of his sister, even though he hated his father with a great passion. He rued the day that he had let Ishmael walk out of his home unscathed.

"Well, what did she say about it?" Sammael was very interested to know what Sophia thought of Larkana, and possibly of finding out a bit more about his background. He was also worried that she might be angry with him for never having told her.

Valcan chuckled a bit. "She seemed to like Larkana a lot- She was quite verbal on the fact that she would have rathered Larkana raised you instead of me. I got the feeling that she did not like me too much," he admitted, his golden eyes filled with amusement. "She was like that most of the summer though- She usually kept to herself."

Sammael's expression turned to one of sadness. As much as he loved Far he had always wanted to know his mother from more than just a portrait and photos. Remaining silent he looked down at his plate and began to eat his steak once more.<i></i>

Valcan cleared his throat, pushing aside the sadness that had intruded his present thinking, unable to entirely forget his sister over all of the years but having had to make it a thought that consumed his hours alone, instead of in public or with others. He had been a very different person back then, and whenever he allowed his old thoughts to come back he started to act that same person. He couldn't spend his days welling in sorrow, not with the status he held.

Deciding to change the subject, he said, "Were you two here for anything else besides updates?" Repositioning himself and holding his head a bit higher, he said, "I am planning for there to be a meeting one of these days, although it will not be held at the Herrogard. I have yet to receive contact from Maleficus."

Persephone apparated into the dining room once more, two plates of food held with the greatest expertise on her skinny arms, looking to her Masters with a stony yet obedient disposition. Placing the meals in front of Valcan and Tristan, she looked to Sammael. "Do Masters desire anything more? A refill, perhaps?"

Tristan shook his head at Persephone, and then at his father. "Who exactly is Maleficus, anyway?" He placed his fork in his potatoes, his expression full of curiosity as he stared back at his father. "And no, I did not come for much else. I might stay the night though."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back