Blood Status
Half Blood
Relationship Status
Seeing Somebody
Sexual Orientation
Ivy
Wand
Knotted 13 1/2 Inch Flexible Fir Wand With Augurey Tail Feather Core
Flynn pressed his lips together into a thin line as he gripped his wand a little tighter, trying to inconspicuously aim it at a first-year who happened to be sitting nearby. It was not like he could practice a cheering charm by himself, he needed some sort of target, willing or otherwise and this first year just happened to be closest to him. However, he wasn't having much luck with it, trying the incantation once again before quickly giving up with a huff when nothing happened. "Why does a spell need me to be happy for it to work? That's just stupid," he muttered angrily to himself as he slumped back in his seat tossing his wand down on the table in front of him and crossing his arms across his chest. Who needed to use a stupid cheering charm, anyway? Not him. There were so many cooler spells he could be using instead.

@Ivy Ashworth

Ivy had been trying to study, but it was difficult for her to focus. She almost felt like she had been reading a bit too much lately, it was giving her a vague headache and she didn't feel very productive. She glanced around the room, spotting Flynn not too far away. He was looking grumpy as usual, and it seemed to Ivy like he had been aiming his wand at a young student. She raised her eyebrows, watching as he tossed his wand down on the table and crossed his arms. Before she could really think about it, she was up and heading over to him. "You alright?" She asked Flynn, deciding not to comment on the way he had pointed his wand at the first year. That was one way to get Flynn defensive and snapping at her, and there was already a pretty good chance he'd do that.

Magic was stupid. Okay, it wasn't, but he was just getting very annoyed at this stupid spell and really didn't see why he needed to be happy for it to work. It wasn't like this was transfiguration where he needed to picture what he wanted to happen or anything. Pressing his lips together, he frowned at where he had tossed his wand on the table, but then a familiar voice caught his attention and he glanced up at Ivy. Instinctively he opened his mouth to snap something, but he thought better of it and stopped, actually thinking for a moment. She was a nerd and probably knew about this stuff. "So, you'll know the answer to this," he easily assumed, turning in his seat to look at the girl better, "Why does the cheering charm need me to be happy for it to work? Isn't that a bit stupid? I can't use a spell if I'm not happy? Who came up with that logic?"

Ivy blinked when Flynn actually asked her a question. She paused, then frowned a bit at his question. "I... don't know." She had to admit, something she didn't like. "I got the same lecture you did, you know." She added, dropping into the seat next to him. "Maybe it works a bit like the Patronus Charm, which also has you focus on a happy memory." She said, shrugging a bit. "I suppose maybe there's... magic in that or something." She smiled a bit. "Were you trying to cheer up that first year?" She asked, raising her eyebrow a bit. It was less nefarious than what she had imagined he might be doing, but it was still questionable. She hesitated. "You can try it on me, if you need to practice." She said.

It was actually pretty surprising to hear the words 'I don't know' come out of Ivy Ashworth's mouth. Flynn would have thought she would have known the answer to his question as she clearly seemed to act as though she knew everything most of the time. "Yeah, but I wasn't actually paying attention to it," he said it as though that was obvious. Him actually paying attention in the classroom? Unlikely. Then he shrugged, glancing back over at the first year he had been trying to practice on. "I just needed someone and they were right there, so," he didn't see the harm in it, not like a cheering charm was going to hurt anyone. Then his gaze flickered back to the other Gryffindor, raising his brow as she actually offered to be a target for him to practice on. "I've sort of given up trying," he admitted with another small shrug, "I'm not in the mood to be happy, so it's not going to work anyway."

Ivy couldn't help the small laugh that escaped her when Flynn said he hadn't been paying attention, though she quickly put her hand over her mouth. "Well." She said after a moment. "Professor Corrins didn't actually explain that part." She said, frowning slightly. "Sometimes magic is just... weird like that, I don't think there's always an explanation for it." She said. Ivy was good at just simply following instructions, she didn't tend to question them too much. Ivy huffed when Flynn said he had given up on trying. "You give up that easily?" She teased him, raising her eyebrows lightly. "Maybe I could try it on you first, then." She said, half-joking.

It made him feel slightly better than it wasn't even explained in the lecture in the first place. So now he could say he had an actual reason for not knowing and not just because he hadn't actually been paying much attention to what was going on at the time. "It would just be so much easier if magic didn't need you to be feeling some sort of emotion to work properly. What if someone is never happy ever? They'll never be able to cast a cheering charm. What if it comes up on the end of year exams and I'm depressed about something so can't cast it properly. Seems a little unfair." He did hope if that were the case then the Professor might take some pity on him and not just fail him because he wasn't happy. Because that would certainly not make him feel better and happy enough to actually cast the spell. He just nodded his head with no shame as she teased him about giving up, then laughed at her suggestion. But then he paused, frowning as he actually thought about it. "Wait," his expression suddenly got serious, "Do you think that would actually work?"

Ivy shrugged when Flynn talked about emotions. She wondered why he was so hung up about this, though when she thought about it for a moment she realized she hadn't seen Flynn... happy very often. She supposed that had something to do with it, and it made her feel bad for him. She smiled encouragingly. "Well, maybe you can do something you enjoy right before the exam so you're in a great mood." She told him. Ivy paused when Flynn seriously considered her suggestion. "I'm... not sure." She admitted. "I mean, we could try it?" She asked, grabbing her wand and holding it up. "I'll warn you I haven't actually done this spell yet, though." She added.

Maybe he was just being bitter about things for no reason. No one else seemed to have much of a problem with it or even really cared that a lot of magic was all about your own emotional state. Though at the suggestion, Flynn chuckled weakly. "There is absolutely nothing in the world which could cheer me up before an exam," not even causing trouble or playing a game of quidditch where he caught the snitch and won could make him feel any better about exams. The admittance from Ivy that she hadn't even done the spell herself didn't bother him in the slightest, just shrugging a shoulder. "What's the worst you could do? Make me even more depressed?"

Ivy smiled a bit. "You don't like exams?" She asked him, trying to pretend to sound shocked. "I do, they're my favorite." She joked though it wasn't entirely false. Ivy enjoyed showing off what she could do. Her smile faded a bit as Flynn asked her what the worst she could do was. She knew he was always grumpy, but the way he said it now sounded more... serious. Like, maybe he should go to the counselor serious. But Ivy could guess how well that suggestion would go down, so she bit her tongue. "Alright." She said, pointing her wand at him. "Don't say I didn't warn you." She added, before casting a cheering charm on him.

Flynn laughed slightly, "You know, I can't even tell if you're joking or not. It honestly would not surprise me if they were." He was well aware of how much Ivy cared about her grades and making sure she did well in all her classes. Sometimes it was like it was the only thing she happened to care about. So, hearing the news that exams were her favorite was not that much of a surprise in the slightest even if she had been joking. But at least she was still willing to try and spell out on him and Flynn watched unmoving as she pointed her wand right at him and tried it out. Flynn just blinked. "Well," he said simply, waiting just a moment to see if it was supposed to be one of those spells which just took some time to take effect, "I don't really feel any different. Maybe like... marginally better."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back