Wand
Yew Wand 14" Dragon Heartstring Core
Important information!
A/N: Interview conducted 7th July, 2062
Nadia Kaster is currently a retired journalist
She is 48 years old

full

personal

what is your real, birth name? what name do you use?
“I was born Nadia Rose Mckay. I held that name for... ooh, fourteen years or so. When my mother died things got bad, I spent a lot of time with my best friend then. My name now is Nadia Rose Kaster. Which I prefer and use exclusively. If anyone asks, I have always been a Kaster, only potentially those I went to school with would know there was ever another name.”

do you have a nickname? what is it, and where did you get it?
"Not really, none that I would write home about, you know? I guess some people call me Nads, or Nadi, but other than being called kid for a lot of my life there isn't really anything special that I was called. Not that I know of anyway, might have been a couple of unfair or unkind names thrown at me without my knowing."

what's your real birth date?
"October 10th, 2014. I was born in a muggle hospital, if that makes any difference."

what one word best describes you?
"Sacrifice."

what is your most prized possession? why do you value it so much?
"I could say my wand, and a lot of the time I probably
would say my wand, but honestly at the moment it's probably my quill. It's a quick quotes quill, I never used one whilst I was working, because I don't believe in their use in any kind of a professional capacity, but they're ever so handy for things whilst I'm just doing what I need to through the day. They pick up on things a lot faster and I can just go through it on my own later. Sometimes it slips through a little, but mostly it's really handy.”

what do you bring with you everywhere you go?
"Hmm, that's another question I wouldn't have thought about until someone asked me. Probably my notebook at the moment. It can be hard to find somewhere nice and quiet to just exist in the world, we live in a place that's so fast paced we don't always realise how much time is just passing us by at those crazy speeds until we sit down and watch it actually pass us by, in those moments I like to take a moment to think about what I might be missing and try to write it all down. But I've always carried a notebook with me, mostly it started as a habit from my days with the Monthly and then when I graduated into the Prophet. It's just one of those things you don't realise you're doing until it becomes a habit I suppose."

what's the most useful thing you own?
"Would I be remiss to say my wand? It's incredibly useful, I think as witches and wizards having it on our person for our whole lives - or there abouts anyway. There aren't many witches and wizards around who wouldn't say the same probably, I wasn't really born or raised in the magical world despite my father, so it wasn't really until I graduated that I really could understand it's use - but I'm comfortable with that, wands, most useful thing I have."

what's your good luck charm?
"I don't really believe in those, shocking isn't it? No, as a writer it's always been important to make my own luck, when I was coming up, when I was in the Prophet and especially now that I'm retired, luck isn't really something I have spent a lot of time believing in, mostly because I just haven't been lucky, so perhaps that's coloured my view some."

what do you like about yourself?
"What do I like about myself? Wow, okay, done with the easy questions then are we?" - she laughs - "You know, when I was younger this would have been really hard to answer, I liked who I was for the most part, I've never been a particularly vain person so I liked how I looked and I liked my personality I guess, but I couldn't give you specifics, I had someone ask me once, and I was very vague about it, but I was eleven, it's hard to really know what you're going to do with anything when you're eleven. I guess... I like that I always try to put other people first - that hasn't always gone well for me..." - she trails off and looks away for a moment before clearing her throat - "but I always have tried and I think that's the most important thing."

what don't you like about yourself?
“I've made the wrong choice a lot in the past, even if it's come out of a place of love, of sacrifice, of wanting to do the right thing, sometimes what I think is the right thing, isn't and other people have had to pay for my mistakes.”

what's the biggest realisation you had about yourself?
"I like solitude. Having a lot of things happening around me I always thought was the goal, but as I've gotten older I've learned I don't really like chaos too much. I prefer the quiet life - funny thing to say when you're a journalist, huh.”

what do you need help with most often?
“Asking for help. I've never really been very good at it. I learned a long time ago I had to keep my feelings and emotions to myself, but I've been trying to open up a lot more recently. It's been an important bit of character growth for me, to see other people being so open with who they are. James tells me I need to open up more, to let other people in, but it's always so difficult. I know I should, but it's just really hard.”

what's something nobody knows about you?
"I know more about my daughter's father than I've ever let on, and it will probably remain that way until I die.”

full

appearance

what do you look like? be as descriptive as possible
"I have soft features with a light spattering of freckles on my nose and cheeks, which sometimes embarrass me. My sea-blue eyes frequently widen in wonder. My face is slightly rounded and tends to get puffy when I’m sick, tired, or have been crying. I have long, wavy brown hair with light brown highlights and lowlights, which sometimes becomes very curly. I'm rather short for the Kaster family, but I stand at about the average height for a woman my age, 5'7".

how do you dress most of the time?
"I'm a jeans and short kinda girl. I never really got into the habit of wearing wizards robes, though I do wear those when it's called for, mostly I just like to look average, I've never been the kind who likes to stand out, or get overly invested in the way I look."

how do you 'dress up'?
“When I dress up, I like to go for a classic and elegant style. I usually choose dresses that flatter my figure, like A-line or fit-and-flare styles, in soft, muted colors or with delicate patterns. I accessorize with simple yet sophisticated jewelry, like pearl earrings or a delicate necklace. I style my hair in loose waves or soft curls to complement the look. For makeup, I prefer a natural approach, focusing on enhancing my features rather than overpowering them, with a bit of mascara to accentuate my blue eyes and a touch of blush to highlight my cheeks. I complete my outfit with stylish yet comfortable shoes, like ballet flats or low heels, so I feel confident and poised."

how do you 'dress down'?

"When I dress down, it's all about comfort and simplicity. I usually go for a pair of well-worn jeans or comfy shorts, paired with a casual t-shirt or a cozy sweater, depending on the weather. I like to keep things low-key and relaxed, so you'll often find me in sneakers or flat sandals. My hair is usually left natural, whether it's wavy or curly that day, and I skip the makeup entirely. I just like to keep it easy and comfortable."

if you didn't care at all what people thought of you, what would you wear?
"If I didn't care at all what people thought of me, I'd probably stick to my favorite comfy jeans and a relaxed t-shirt most of the time. Maybe throw in some cozy sweaters or hoodies when it's chilly. I'd focus on comfort and practicality without worrying about trends or others' opinions."

do you care about fashion?
"If I did, I would be a very different person, don't get me wrong, I read EVELYN like everyone else, but mostly because I've met her, and I love a woman doing well in a business, anything else is just for fun."

does fashion help society in any way?
"Yeah, fashion definitely helps society in its own way. It's not just about looking good; it's how we express ourselves and our culture. Like, what we wear says a lot about who we are and what we believe in. Plus, it's a huge industry that creates jobs and drives creativity. And you know what? Fashion can also challenge stereotypes and bring people together by celebrating diversity. So yeah, I think it's more than just clothes—it's a way we connect and express ourselves in the world."

what is the most embarrassing piece of clothing you own?

"I don't really have anything super embarrassing, but I once bought this neon-colored sweater on sale, thinking it would be a fun change from my usual style. Turns out, it's so bright that it's hard to wear without feeling like I'm standing out way too much! It's definitely my go-to for any costume parties, though."

what do you wear when you go to sleep?
"I usually wear comfortable pajama pants or shorts with a cozy t-shirt or a lightweight, soft hoodie. Comfort is key for me when I sleep, so I prefer breathable fabrics that help me relax."

do you wear any jewellery?
“I keep it simple with jewelry. On regular days, you'll usually find me wearing a delicate necklace or a pair of stud earrings."

in your opinion, what is your best feature?
"I think my best feature is probably my sea-blue eyes. They tend to catch people's attention and reflect how I feel, which I find pretty cool."

how would you like to look?
"I wouldn't mind looking like Evelyn Manning, she's gorgeous and she's a lovely woman too.”

full

lifestyle

where do you live? describe it: is it messy, neat, avant-garde, sparse, etc.?
"I live together with my partner James in Obsidian Harbour, mostly we live on our own, but we do receive visitors from time to time. He's a herbologist so we have quite a few plants in the house, though not too many because I have a notoriously black thumb. If it's alive, it's almost guaranteed that I'm going to kill it, which is terrible because some of those plants just seem so alive, you know? Alas, I do what I can and they die anyway, so there isn't much to be done about it. But other than that, the house is big enough for us, one or two extra rooms for whenever we need extra room. But it's not often, mostly we just have our own places."

what is the best room in your house? why?
"The lounge, I like to sit there and read, or write. I have a cactus that I'm trying to keep a live, though I suspect actually that James is keeping it alive for me, since, as I've said, I have a rather notorious black thumb and most plants that enter my vicinity do not leave it alive."

where do you get most of the decorations for your home?
"James. He likes to bring plants in from the gardens, sometimes it's things I've picked up from the flea markets, we have a lot of things that don't match, but we like it and that's really all that matters."

where is the most beautiful place near where you live?
"The harbour, especially during festivals and at night, I like to see the lights reflected in the water, James and I had our first date at the harbour you know - gorgeous, and in the winter with the candles along the fencing and in the body, oh, it's wonderful, it really is, I look forward to it every year.”

do you like things to be carefully planned or do you just go with the flow?
"I'm a planner, always have been. I don't like surprises all that much so having things done in a set way is important to me, it's sort of like when you plan a dinner and you book ahead at a restaurant and then you have to ask for their menu so you don't spend all your time looking at what you might want to eat rather than actually eating. I have a couple of friends like that, Merlin, it's very annoying - my friend Tamalia is like that, she couldn't make a single decision to save her life, let me tell you. Sorry, what was the question? Right, yes, I like to plan everything in as much detail as possible."

do you own any pets? if not, would you like to?
"I currently have no pets of my own. On occasion we'll get a stray bird, or Ryan's girlfriend will bring us an animal she needs us to look after for a while until she can get it to a sanctuary, but it's nothing major. I've never had a lot of time for pets to be honest with you and I don't have a lot of patience for them. I think I used to have pets as a girl, but I don't remember much about them if I'm honest, and then I spent most of my time at Hogwarts then and we had owls and there was the dorm cat, but he was pretty much non existent too."

what would be your perfect weekend?
"A warm bath and a glass of champagne with James sitting across from me. Not in the bath, I like my space. Just constant little things like that, spending time together but just doing our own thing."

are you a very organised person?
"I used to be, I've become less so over the years.”

how often do you stay up past 3 a.m.?
"Oh, constantly. It's terrible. It was a habit I picked up years ago in my early reporter days, it was so hard to hit deadlines and staying up past the morning sun was normal. I haven't managed to break the habit yet and ten to have naps through the day to compensate. It's nice in the summer, not so much in the winter because you miss all of the really good light.”

how do you make yourself fall asleep when you can't seem to get to sleep?
"I love a nice warm tea. I wasn't much of a tea drinker until the last couple of years, but I find it quite relaxing. An herbal tea with some mint in it can be really relaxing. I don't know if it's the tea itself that puts me to sleep or the menial task of making it, the way it relaxes me when I don't have to think about anything but the task I'm currently doing. That's what the trouble usually is with my sleeping problem, can't seem to switch my brain off sometimes.”

where do you spend most of your free time / day?
"I like to be busy, I'm constantly out doing something. I'm not exactly a social butterfly but I'm equally not entirely a homebody. I like being in cafe's or restaurants or visiting a park. I like to be seen."

can you apparate? how do you prefer to get around?
"I can apparate, but we all know how unpleasant a feeling it is. I'm not a massive fan of portkey's either. I prefer carriage whenever I can. It's certainly more luxurious."

do you tend to save or spend your money? why?
"Oh I'm a spender. James is constantly on me for it but I can't help myself. I didn't have a lot of money growing up and now that I have my own I like to buy whatever happens to take my fancy at the time. It's never a big purchase, but it is constant."

what are some red flags to look out for in daily life?
"Well, there are several red flags that we should all be mindful of in our daily interactions. First, inconsistent behaviour is a major one. If someone frequently changes their story or acts differently around various groups, it might indicate dishonesty or manipulation. Constant negativity is another red flag. Being around someone who is always negative can be draining and impact your mental well-being. Respect is crucial, so a lack of respect towards you or others is definitely concerning. Overly controlling behaviour is also something to watch out for. If someone tries to control your actions, decisions, or time, it's a sign of a potentially unhealthy relationship." - she seems to have really thought about this a lot - "Another red flag is the avoidance of responsibility. People who consistently avoid taking responsibility for their actions or blame others for their mistakes can be problematic. Invasion of privacy is also a big one; if someone frequently invades your privacy or disregards your personal boundaries, it’s a cause for concern. Finally, unreliability is a significant red flag. If someone consistently doesn’t follow through on promises or is unreliable, it can indicate a lack of commitment or respect. It's important to pay attention to these signs to maintain healthy and positive relationships in our lives.”

Last edited:
family
what was your family like?
"My family was close-knit and supportive. We always had each other's backs, even though we had our disagreements. There was a lot of love in our home, and my parents worked hard to provide for us and give us a stable environment. Education and honesty were highly valued, and we often had lively discussions about various topics around the dinner table."

who was your father, and what was he like?
"My father's name was Richard McKay. He was a very strict man, and he wasn't always nice. He had a strong sense of duty and expected a lot from me, especially when it came to honesty and doing the right thing. After my mother died, he became even stricter and more difficult to be around. His harshness overshadowed the support he sometimes showed, making it hard for me to connect with him on a deeper level."

who was your mother, and what was she like?
"My mother Sally died when I was eleven. From the memories I have and from what my father and others have told me, she was the heart of our family. She was kind, nurturing, and always knew how to make me feel better when I was down. Her warmth and wisdom were what kept our family together. After she passed away, everything changed, and it became much harder to find that sense of peace at home. I remember she used to sing to me, when I was sick or scared. But..." - she sighs - "But beyond that... I just... I don't remember her. I'm, I'm quite sad about that."

what was your parents' marriage like? were they married?
"My parents were married, and their marriage had its strengths and weaknesses. They had their ups and downs like any couple, but they always worked through their issues together. They were a team, complementing each other's strengths and weaknesses. Their love for each other was evident in the way they communicated and supported one another, but after my mother died, my father struggled to cope and became more difficult to live with."

what were your siblings' names? what were they like?
"I have a sister named Lucy. She's incredibly intelligent and loyal to her friends and family. She stands up for the people she cares about and is always there for them. Lucy used to feel overshadowed by comparisons to our family, but she's becoming more confident in herself. She's honest, sometimes to a fault, and can be quite stubborn. Despite this, she has a deep need to make our family proud. She can also be a bit selfish, but only when she feels threatened or compared to others. I have half siblings as well, Paisley, Caspar and Amara - I keep tabs on them but I don't know much about them. They're all quite a bit younger than me though. I'm sure there's more, but they've been hard to learn about since I left the Prophet."

when's the last time you saw any member of your family? where are they now?
"I see my mums all the time. Lisa and Hayden still live not far from me. They're settling into retirement these days. I consider James my family, and his children who I also see quite regularly, when they bother to visit - Tamalia, who was basically my sister at a time I really needed one. She's... she's Tamalia, I don't quite think she'll ever
not be Tama. Then there's Adorah, my sweet baby girl. Don't tell her I think of her that way though, please. I made a lot of mistake when I had her, I gave her up, and I only recently got her back. I don't even know if I can say I got her back, I'm in her life, I have been for a couple of years now and I love that. I don't want to upset the balance by wanting more, but, you know, she's my daughter and I'll always regret how that worked out."

did you ever meet any other family members? who were they? what did you think of them?
"I have quite a large extended family on both sides. Adopted and Biological. My father is from a rather large and well respected Pureblood family, that's probably why I'm not part of it - nor would I want to be knowing what I know. The Kaster's are also a very large family, they're mostly split into two main branches, the German branch and the New Zealand Branch. The two sides don't mix often, but we see each other regularly for weddings and other things. You'll never see a Kaster more in their element than living it up for a nice party. Alcohol free, for some of us." - she frowns slightly, looking away.

what was the biggest holiday for your family?
"We weren't very big on holidays to be honest. We do Christmas almost every year unless we can't, and I think we're due another reunion next year, but otherwise that's sort of it. We don't have a lot of time for that sort of thing usually, and it's mostly just easier to keep things small and intimate. If you get all the Kaster's together, there's bound to be drunken fights. And... well Carter is there too, so... that doesn't always end well."

full

childhood

what is your first memory?
“text”

what was your favourite toy?
"text"

what was your favourite game?
"text"

who was your best friend when you were growing up?
“text”

what is your fondest childhood memory?
"text”

what is your worst childhood memory?
"text"

what's your most embarrassing childhood memory?
"text"

what did you believe for way too long as a child?
"text"

what did you like / dislike about where you grew up?
"text”

as a child, what did you think would be awesome about being an adult that turned out not to be?
"text"

what were you really into when you were a child?
"text"

if you could travel back in time, what piece of advice would you give your 10-year-old self?
“text”

full

adolescence

it is common for one's view of authority to develop in their adolescent years. what is your view of authority, and what event most affected it?
"text"

what were you like in high school?
"text"

what were your high school goals?
"text"

who was your idol growing up?
"text"

what is your favourite memory from adolescence?
"text"

what is your worst memory from adolescence?
"text"

what still makes you cringe when you think back on it?
"text"

who had the biggest impact on the person you have become?
"text"

if you could travel back in time, what piece of advice would you give your 16-year-old self?
"text"

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back